Ferrari Stradale and NSX (not stock)

In recent post I have seen the Ferrari vs NSX line, again. Alos have seen some Ferrari bashing. So with that in mind here are my thoughts about my Stradale and my NSX.
I recently bought a 2004 Stradale Challenge Ferrari (late production car 10/04) if you do not know what a Stradale is think NSX R. I have done a few upgrades to the Ferrai, Tubit NGT exhaust, hyper-flow cats, and CPU. Let me tell you, the Stradale is one of the best cars I have owned or driven. I test drove many other cars before I bought the Stradale. Test drives where in a Ford GT, Lambo M and G car, 430 and 575 Ferrari. I went with the Stradale because of many reasons including raw race car feel, look, and smell. The Stradale lives up to the quote "how civilized is too civilized" where the Stradale is not that civilized. The NSX as well as a stock 360 is way to civilized IMO. That is why I have modified my NSX to the hilt.
I still own my 2002 NSX-T and love it so. I have done many mods to the NSX and spent lots of $$$$$. The thing is I have worked on my NSX for 3 years (bought it new) to get it where the Stradale is from the factory and still my NSX is behind the curve. The Stradale is as reliable as my NSX. There are many 10-15K mile Stradale's out there and most of those miles being track miles with little or no known problems. Braking, transmission, engine (not HP), sound, top end speed go to the Stradale hands down. The NSX with all its add on's tweaks, and fixens has a flip of the coin in the looks department, very close in handling, and faster straight line performance (with nitrous only) in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. My plan is to get to the track this season with both cars. My plan is to race both against the clock, me driving, to see if the Ferrari or the NSX is the winner on the track.

After ownership of a few Ferraris and many NSXs I would say that Ferraris are fairly trouble free. I go to Italy often and have seen many high mile F-cars. If any car is taken care of it will last! One thing is for sure most Ferrari owners baby and do not drive their cars, that is not the way a Ferrari should be treated.
When it comes time for the new NSX and the 430 replacement, I will have a hard time deciding what one of the two to chose.

AJKS said:
My plan is to race both against the clock, me driving, to see if the Ferrari or the NSX is the winner on the track.

That's not fair.

what are the mods to your NSX? I didn't see your car in the gallery. Any pics? Please post more info.

I think the Stradale is an awesome car. I have been in one and loved every second of it. Congrats.

Hugh, stop giving him a hard time :) , AJKS never said "A Ferrari is as reliable as an NSX". He said so far his two cars have been reliable.

I know things have vastly improved at Ferrari. They are not what they used to be... not a Honda by any means but much better than what they were. The Stradale really is a street legal race car and it makes some beautiful sounds.

TURBO2GO said:
The Stradale really is a street legal race car and it makes some beautiful sounds.

It sure as hell is. I was over at Shelton Ferrari in Lauderdale the other day with a friend contemplating a Modena Spyder and they had a Challenge on the floor. Beautiful car. They're all beautiful actually. At least the new ones are. What the hell were they smoking when they came up with the Testarossa?

Hugh said:
It sure as hell is. I was over at Shelton Ferrari in Lauderdale the other day with a friend contemplating a Modena Spyder and they had a Challenge on the floor. Beautiful car. They're all beautiful actually. At least the new ones are. What the hell were they smoking when they came up with the Testarossa?

There is nothing wrong with the Testarossa!!! I am sure you wished you was Don Johnson in Miami Vice and said "man I want one of those" and I don't mean the corvett/daytona copy!

AJKS said:
And why not? I thought that would be the only fair way.....:biggrin:

Because the Stradale is basically made for the track. You should track it against a 996 GT3, that would be fair.

We all know (I hope) that this Ferrari will win.

And yes, if I could get one, I would...

Ah yes, track Testorossa vs NSX.

That's the car Honda made NSX to compete with. That's more fair.

AJKS said:
After ownership of a few Ferraris and many NSXs I would say that Ferraris are fairly trouble free. I go to Italy often and have seen many high mile F-cars. If any car is taken care of it will last! One thing is for sure most Ferrari owners baby and do not drive their cars, that is not the way a Ferrari should be treated.
When it comes time for the new NSX and the 430 replacement, I will have a hard time deciding what one of the two to chose.

It is not matter of how long it will last, it is matter of cost of ownership. Where can you find a Ferrari dealer that will do your oil change for $40 bucks?

AJKS said:
There is nothing wrong with the Testarossa!!! I am sure you wished you was Don Johnson in Miami Vice and said "man I want one of those" and I don't mean the corvett/daytona copy!

I love the Testarossa, in fact, I always wanted one purely based on it's exterior design. There is something interesting when Gordon Murray wrote couple of months back, telling the world that the Red Head has the center of gravity of a double decker buss. I think that may very well be a true statement, considering the man who wrote that. Why did Ferrari dropped this design if there was nothing wrong with it? Flat-12 that requires to be dropped during all major engine services?

Hugh said:
What the hell were they smoking when they came up with the Testarossa?

The 512TR is to me one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Far better looking than the NSX IMO. It was the last truly exotic looking Ferrari's. The 550 looks boring in comparison and even the 599 doesn't look near as exotic.

AJKS said:
The Stradale is as reliable as my NSX.

Hugh said:
That's like saying Iran is changing it's national language to Hebrew.

TURBO2GO said:
AJKS never said "A Ferrari is as reliable as an NSX

I have to say I think that AJKS is making a statement I would disagree with and I can see where Hugh would make a remark like he did. Ferraris are far better in terms of build quality since the plant was modernized, and even more so since the new paint shop was installed, but if you check with FChat, the frequency and cost of regular service, and replacements of items like the clutch, etc. are very high, and I am waiting to see a 150,000 plus mile Ferrari to see how it has held up. One thing that is obvious is that the market for Ferraris has made it known that if you drive your F-car you will take a beating on resale. F-cars with more than 10K are considered high mileage to many there. 30K is like 150K to us. I lust after a 360CS (the TDF one on Ebay is one I would love to have), but even if I could bring myself to buy it (and somehow not end up divorced as a result of a 200K car purchase!) I think I would end up looking at it more than driving it for fear of taking 20K off of resale for every 5K I put on it (if you read the Ferrari market letter and the opinions of those on Fchat who seem to be in the know). I can say if I won the lottery it would be my first purchase (and I would keep the NSX!), but I am just not sure I can agree the Ferraris are as well put together as the NSX at this point. 10 years from now we may be all in agreement the later 360's and the 430's did turn out to be the NSX of Ferraris, but it's just too soon. I will end my rant with this concession: I am envious of you AJKS!:wink:

AJKS said:
The thing is I have worked on my NSX for 3 years (bought it new) to get it where the Stradale is from the factory and still my NSX is behind the curve. The Stradale is as reliable as my NSX. There are many 10-15K mile Stradale's out there and most of those miles being track miles with little or no known problems. Braking, transmission, engine (not HP), sound, top end speed go to the Stradale hands down. The NSX with all its add on's tweaks, and fixens has a flip of the coin in the looks department, very close in handling, and faster straight line performance (with nitrous only) in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. My plan is to get to the track this season with both cars. My plan is to race both against the clock, me driving, to see if the Ferrari or the NSX is the winner on the track.

Hi AJKS,

Thank you for your informative post. I also would like to now what changes you have made to your NSX. You also mention that the Stradale wins in the engine department but (not HP). I am not exactly sure what do you mean by that.
Last, I would be very interested in learning from you how the Stradale and modded NSX will compare on the track. Personally, I think the Stradale actually IS the better car in this case, but since you have modded your NSX it would be nice to know how these two cars will compare in the end.

I dont think that anyone should question which is the better car, a fully modded NSX or a Challenge Stradale. Its not even a tough call.

But, last time out on the track there was a CS that couldnt get me. Im sure he has the faster car in the end (vs my CTSCd 02), but he couldnt get me!

So what! I want a CS!

why not compare the nsx to a ferrari? it's been compared it to a vette or an evo (big price diff, just like -well, not JUST like- an nsx and a challenge).... and it still gets whooped, so what's the difference? :smile:

and, also (unrelated), i never understood how people can complain about an elise being too rough on the road but then say how awesome somebody's nsx that's dropped 2 inches is.....

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I thought the Nsx was made to compete with the 355 and it is a Challenge Stradale not a Stradale Challenge.

You are correct in both your statements, sort of. The 348 was the main target of the NSX, but Honda knew the 355 was on the way.
As far as the name of the Ferrari. I don't mean to say it that way but... People always ask, what does the name mean. So I say it is a Challenge Stradale as I point out the rear badge. I then say to people it is realy Stradale Challenge because it is the proper way to explain the meaning for the English language. It rolls of the tongue a bit better too. Stradale is road or street in the Italian language. So Street Challenge Ferrari is the way I explain it.
Sorry about that.:wink:

Still don't know anything about your modded NSX.

AJKS said:
Stradale is road or street in the Italian language. So Street Challenge Ferrari is the way I explain it.

I always thought it was an inside joke at Ferrari because actually driving it on the street without a breakdown or engine fire would be a real challenge. :)

AJKS said:
So what do you know about nachos any way???? Have you had a Ferrari? Do you speak from first hand or 3 times removed?

When I lived and worked in NYC, I had a summer share in the Hamptons. 2 of my room mates had F-cars. I had my 93 NSX and a 1989 Range Rover that doubled as a late night Ferrari rescue mobile. I've driven them, lived with them and fixed them. I'll never own one of them. I'd buy posters of them though because they are magnificent works of art.

TURBO2GO said:
what are the mods to your NSX? I didn't see your car in the gallery. Any pics? Please post more info.

NSX T
Lots of interior upgrades/custom work
Recaro SPG's
Carbon Fiber side vents
JGTC Carbon Kevlar rear diffuser
JGTC Light Weight Center Exit Exhaust
JGTC Carbon Fiber rear wing
Comptech Headers
Dali battery (the 14lb unit)
Removed the engine cover, spare tire/monut, tools from tool kit
Light weight wheels, Volk LE37's (18's)
Tein RA's
Titanium brake set (90 pound weight savings)
NSX R gear set and diff, 4.235 ratio
OEM NSX R hood (yes the real deal, one of only a hand full in the US)
Carbon Fiber Air box and side intake kit (from Detlef in Germany)

I still have Cats, AC, all factory glass, factory steering wheel/SRS system.
My NSX T is around 2750 pounds with a 1/4 tank of gas. It has run 12.3's @ 109 in the 1/4 mile on Potenza SO3's, 285-30 18's. Also has seen low 11's on the same tires with a 100 shot of Nitrous. There are many threads on my NSX about weight, brakes, performance just do a search. My NSX was also in Jan 05 Honda Tuning magazine. There have been many mods done from when Honda Tune came out so HCI magazine is going to do a shoot with my NSX for an end of Summer issue.

I will try and get pics up of both the Stradale and NSX together. They are to big to post and I can not resize them for some reason. Anybody feel like hosting a few Pics for me?

Hugh said:
When I lived and worked in NYC, I had a summer share in the Hamptons. 2 of my room mates had F-cars. I had my 93 NSX and a 1989 Range Rover that doubled as a late night Ferrari rescue mobile. I've driven them, lived with them and fixed them. I'll never own one of them. I'd buy posters of them though because they are magnificent works of art.

What kind of F-cars did they have. Did they take care of them? Did they buy them new or where they the 3,4,5th owners? So many variables not a fair comparison. I had a 91 Testarossa and I was the 3rd owner. The other owners knew how to take care of the Ferrari as it should be. Same Ferrari service center from when the car was new. Things changed and serviced per the service manual, this is key to reliability. After 2 years and 6K miles of driving no problems at all. Sold it and made 5 grand. This was out of a 9 year old 20K mile Ferrari!

Back