Engine speculations

Honcho, I doubt it will be sub 3000lbs even if that is their target. I would be pleasantly surprised if they do tho! The head designer at Honda said that it's going to be heavy so they were trying to achieve a lighter look through the design language. I think conservatively, we shall see 3300 lbs. Look at the Porsche 918:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-porsche-918-spyder-prototype-first-ride-review

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.5 in
Length: 182.8 in
Width: 76.4 in Height: 45.9 in
Curb weight: 3750 lb
PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 2.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 6.0 sec
¼-mile: 10.2 sec
Top speed: 205 mph

This $850K Porsche with all the latest tech innovations weighs as much as the GTR and is roughly the same dimensions as the new NSX... :confused:

I hope Honda can do much better than that. It does help that Honda is not going to need big hp from the motors like Porsche is doing, but rather smaller, more efficient electric motors that rely on lower output batteries. So this may cut the hybrid weight by half, which would be like what, 300-400lbs? Total guess on my part - 3000 lb Porsche 918 + 750 lbs of hybrid components.

So if Honda can achieve say 2900lbs for the chassis/interior with motor, plus 450 lbs for the 3 small e-motors and batteries = 3350 lbs. I hope Honda can achieve a very light and sexy chassis :smile: That should be top priority

Yes, but at $130K with a badge that is only worth anything to people like you and I, this car needs to out perform cars twice it's price... Or at least match a car that is $35K cheaper... GTR.

Did the original NSX do that? Honda has set out to be "competitive" with this car not rule the segment. Guess we'll have to wait and see plus we still don't know it will be $130k. New Viper will be $100k to start and it's gone the lighter weight route as well. It's using aluminum and CF. I still just don't see the NSX costing more than a ZR1 or Viper while being made here.

F that. Japanese needs to learn to lead in performance and sex appeal than to stand on the side lines or to follow.

Well the GTR leads in the performance but falls off in sex appeal. I think they could match the GTR but I don't see them beating it. Of course they could always prove me wrong.

Did the original NSX do that? Honda has set out to be "competitive" with this car not rule the segment. Guess we'll have to wait and see plus we still don't know it will be $130k. New Viper will be $100k to start and it's gone the lighter weight route as well. It's using aluminum and CF. I still just don't see the NSX costing more than a ZR1 or Viper while being made here.

Well the GTR leads in the performance but falls off in sex appeal. I think they could match the GTR but I don't see them beating it. Of course they could always prove me wrong.

Yes, give or take the original NSX, and NA1 R can run with Ferrari Testarossa and Lamborghini Countash, even though the mags like to compare that to 911, C4 Corvette and 348.

For 130k, it will have very little CF. If Honda can't even give us the NSX R hood for less than $10 grand and the wing for $7 grand, I doubt they will do that on the next NSX.

Innovation of the original NSX was really the usage of Aluminum and VTEC. Today, it is no longer unique. They didn't even used forged conn rods while bragged about cast Ti rods.

Also the engine took a short cut when they used the Legend block without creating a separate class.

Those who said Honda lost millions on this car, I doubt that. After all, they did make the car for fifteen years until the parts ran out and the car was not cheap.

Last edited:
How can anyone think this car will be under 3000 lbs when Porsche can't come close to that with the 918 at ~7x the price?

Honda hasn't put out a sports car worth owning since the NSX while Porsche turns out great sports cars all the time. I highly doubt Honda has any tricks up their sleeve that Porsche doesnt already know.

I predict 3500 lbs min.

Last edited:
How can anyone think this car will be under 3000 lbs when Porsche can't come close to that with the 918 at ~7x the price?

Honda hasn't put out a sports car worth owning since the NSX while Porsche turns out great sports cars all the time. I highly doubt Honda has any tricks up their sleeve that Porsche doesnt already know.

I predict 3500 lbs min.

If they can shed 100lbs off the new engine (keep in mind that C30A/32B were very heavy). Use lighter materials on parts we have been swapping out (exhaust, headers, seats etc), and make the car more compact, they may be able to get it around 3200 lbs. That is reasonable. Even the original NSX-R can shed another 100 or so lbs through aftermarket parts, I think they can do it.

BUT you may be right, 3500 is more likely...

The direction seems confused to me. The goal is a mishmash of goals... be "efficient" whatever that means, be green, be fast, be light, be not too expensive... I mean something HAS TO GIVE. You can have most of those but not be "green" necessarily. You can make it green if it is SUPER light, but then it will not be cheap. 3 electric motors and batteries add a lot of weight. And the expectations for this car are sky high. The engineers have their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

And tuning such a car... won't be easy.

If they can shed 100lbs off the new engine (keep in mind that C30A/32B were very heavy). Use lighter materials on parts we have been swapping out (exhaust, headers, seats etc), and make the car more compact, they may be able to get it around 3200 lbs. That is reasonable. Even the original NSX-R can shed another 100 or so lbs through aftermarket parts, I think they can do it.

BUT you may be right, 3500 is more likely...

Vance... 3 electric motors and batteries... NOT LIGHT.

Vance... 3 electric motors and batteries... NOT LIGHT.

What is not light? If the NA2 NSXR with additional weight reduction can be around 2700 lbs without sacrificing comfort, how much more weight are the batteries going to be? 500lbs?

What is the weight of the battery in CRZ or Prius? Or the new Legend/RL? But you're right, 3500 lbs is more realistic because of the Federal crash safety mandate. I'm sure it will have 20 air bags.

Last edited:
What is not light? If the NA2 NSXR with additional weight reduction can be around 2700 lbs without sacrificing comfort, how much more weight are the batteries going to be? 500lbs?

What is the weight of the battery in CRZ or Prius? Or the new Legend/RL? But you're right, 3500 lbs is more realistic because of the Federal crash safety mandate. I'm sure it will have 20 air bags.

The NSX-R won't meet U.S. safety regulations of 2002, nevermind 2014... it has no radio. The rear glass is thinned out and noisier. The carpet has less sound insulation. There are no airbags. If you get a flat, there is no spare. It is a coupe only. The seats wil not recline. I would say it is already sacrificing comfort, and you say "NSX-R with additional weight reduction" to use as an example? The new car must have a better stereo, 2015 levels of comfort and convenience, never mind safety. Making that kind of car in a non-hybrid to come in at 3400 pounds is a feat, now imagine making that same car an AWD hybrid. Not just a hybrid, but an AWD hybrid. One with a mostly likely incredible amount of electronics and heavy wiring. One that has to give a nod to style, and go with 20 inch wheels GTR style. A car that with a V6, AWD, and a wealth of electronics comes in at 3900 pounds despite numerous carbon fiber parts and use of aluminum. A car that in 2012, nevermnd 2015, costs 100K.

I think Honda is doing a lot of talking, and soon enough the production NSX will show lots of compromises over all of this talk. Talk desperately needed to get itself some attention for the brand. I am all for Honda, and I want the next nsx to succeed, but I am trying to be realistic. I am looking around at other cars and manufacturers, and Honda is talking about doing what no one else can do. But this talk isn't coming from a company at the top of its game with a lazy Ferrari sitting around. It isn't coming from a company that just dominated F1 for a decade. It is coming from a company that pulled out of F1 with a horrendous record, has not a single sports car, is being thrashed by the Koreans, had terrible reviews on their bread and butter car the civic, has a fail in sales from the insight, the CRZ, the RDX, the RL, and the ZDX. nevermnd the total failure of at 3 previous NSX concepts.

This is why I am a bit skeptical. I have no doubt the next NSX will be a good car, but we've got speculation on this board for 3000 pounds and 90k price ranges. It sounds an awful lot like 27 HP from an intake. Unrealistic.

I'm still hoping for a type R version with no hybrid. I have zero interest in a hybrid.

Also don't forget the car has sh-awd. More weight.

Last edited:
Yes, give or take the original NSX, and NA1 R can run with Ferrari Testarossa and Lamborghini Countash, even though the mags like to compare that to 911, C4 Corvette and 348.

For 130k, it will have very little CF. If Honda can't even give us the NSX R hood for less than $10 grand and the wing for $7 grand, I doubt they will do that on the next NSX.

Innovation of the original NSX was really the usage of Aluminum and VTEC. Today, it is no longer unique. They didn't even used forged conn rods while bragged about cast Ti rods.

Also the engine took a short cut when they used the Legend block without creating a separate class.

Those who said Honda lost millions on this car, I doubt that. After all, they did make the car for fifteen years until the parts ran out and the car was not cheap.

"Run with" doesn't mean the same as outperform. Again the car was "competitive" just like they're trying to be competitive now. Also you keep saying $130k as if it's been confirmed but few things have been confirmed on the car especially specs and price.

The direction seems confused to me. The goal is a mishmash of goals... be "efficient" whatever that means, be green, be fast, be light, be not too expensive... I mean something HAS TO GIVE. You can have most of those but not be "green" necessarily. You can make it green if it is SUPER light, but then it will not be cheap. 3 electric motors and batteries add a lot of weight. And the expectations for this car are sky high. The engineers have their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

And tuning such a car... won't be easy.

That's not a mishmash they just added efficiency. Supposedly the new batteries will be quite light. The AWD will be electronic so extremely minimal weight for that. The car is the same size (pretty much) as the original so it hasn't grown like others.

If the old NA2 NSX-R could be 2800lbs they can find a way with a new car to be light. We have some time and hopefully by next year we'll see more of how they plan to do it. Doesn't work out plenty of other options for us.

I'm still hoping for a type R version with no hybrid. I have zero interest in a hybrid.

Also don't forget the car has sh-awd. More weight.

Dave they aren't going to change the entire drivetrain for a "type R". Whether you like hybrid or not, it is an integral part of the car's design AND performance. Hybrids and electric motors are the way of the future. An electric motor is simply much more efficient than an ICE, and cars like this will advance know-how and improve technology. It's simply a different way of designing a car. That design can be used for MPG or performance, and in the case of something like the Porsche 918 or the NSX it's going to be geared towards the performance. Stop resisting change. :biggrin: It's coming, and it's for the better. One day soon this tech will be in every car and slowly ICE will fade away or at least really take a back seat. I do like Honda's vision on this, I just think the implementation in a car with this much expectation is a Herculean task.

Wingz do you know something about batteries I do not? I am guessing it is lithium ion, and not that different than what is being used in the leaf or a tesla.

The NSX-R won't meet U.S. safety regulations of 2002, nevermind 2014... it has no radio.

Did you not read my sarcastic comment about the "20" airbags?

Dave they aren't going to change the entire drivetrain for a "type R".
Honda can always fiddle for more.

The reason NSX-R shown 280PS was due to the gentleman's agreement in Japan for not exceeding that number but in reality, NSX-R, GTR, Supera, and RX-7 all had more.

NA2 R may have the same part, but it does have a different ECU as well as harnesses in the engine compartment.

Since the gentleman's agreement has been lifted, they are no longer restricted to that number, which means, they can fiddle with it as they have with the B16/B18/H20/H22 motors.

But I do want the same crystal ball you have, please let me know where you bought it from so I can stop "assuming" while making "assurances."

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be cool if honda released the new motor with electronic solenoid actuated valves. This way, the crank would not be dragged down by four camshafts and the valve timing could be electronically controlled to any timing spec (theoretically).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQ9uHhUYu0
Not a fan of those system just like a electric water pump, if you blow a fuse BAM your engine is toast.

Anyway i'm all for going back to DOHC they should have made road V8's a decade ago, a 4L V-Tec V8 would be awesome.

Wingz do you know something about batteries I do not? I am guessing it is lithium ion, and not that different than what is being used in the leaf or a tesla.

Not even going to pretend that I do Dave but why say your going to target a weight with certain parts that you know will make it impossible???

Yes there was originally more in this post but please ignore as I was up to early thinking about this crap and had grand delusions about the Civic Del Sol's hp per liter.

Last edited:
The NSX-R won't meet U.S. safety regulations of 2002, nevermind 2014... it has no radio. The rear glass is thinned out and noisier. The carpet has less sound insulation. There are no airbags. If you get a flat, there is no spare. It is a coupe only. The seats wil not recline. I would say it is already sacrificing comfort, and you say "NSX-R with additional weight reduction" to use as an example? The new car must have a better stereo, 2015 levels of comfort and convenience, never mind safety. Making that kind of car in a non-hybrid to come in at 3400 pounds is a feat, now imagine making that same car an AWD hybrid. Not just a hybrid, but an AWD hybrid. One with a mostly likely incredible amount of electronics and heavy wiring. One that has to give a nod to style, and go with 20 inch wheels GTR style. A car that with a V6, AWD, and a wealth of electronics comes in at 3900 pounds despite numerous carbon fiber parts and use of aluminum. A car that in 2012, nevermnd 2015, costs 100K.

I think Honda is doing a lot of talking, and soon enough the production NSX will show lots of compromises over all of this talk. Talk desperately needed to get itself some attention for the brand. I am all for Honda, and I want the next nsx to succeed, but I am trying to be realistic. I am looking around at other cars and manufacturers, and Honda is talking about doing what no one else can do. But this talk isn't coming from a company at the top of its game with a lazy Ferrari sitting around. It isn't coming from a company that just dominated F1 for a decade. It is coming from a company that pulled out of F1 with a horrendous record, has not a single sports car, is being thrashed by the Koreans, had terrible reviews on their bread and butter car the civic, has a fail in sales from the insight, the CRZ, the RDX, the RL, and the ZDX. nevermnd the total failure of at 3 previous NSX concepts.

This is why I am a bit skeptical. I have no doubt the next NSX will be a good car, but we've got speculation on this board for 3000 pounds and 90k price ranges. It sounds an awful lot like 27 HP from an intake. Unrealistic.

I am glad someone else can smell the BS. Acura was like "OMG why has the interwebz exploded about this car in Avengers? Which department was that from...yeah we need to builld that"

I am glad someone else can smell the BS. Acura was like "OMG why has the interwebz exploded about this car in Avengers? Which department was that from...yeah we need to builld that"

The concept was designed first and then the Avengers car was modeled after the concept on a stock 91. It was not Acura just fooling around and then decided to revive the NSX from the Avengers' interest.

The concept was designed first and then the Avengers car was modeled after the concept on a stock 91. It was not Acura just fooling around and then decided to revive the NSX from the Avengers' interest.

What concept are you talking about? Can you provide any back dated pics or info of that concept? I mean this without being sarcastic. All evidence I have been shown is that they did various concepts and testing of mules but NONE of this one.....

What concept are you talking about? Can you provide any back dated pics or info of that concept? I mean this without being sarcastic. All evidence I have been shown is that they did various concepts and testing of mules but NONE of this one.....

There are a few articles that stated specifically that the team designed the Avenger's NSX after the concept. I cannot find the exact one from my memory as there are so many articles. This is one I just googled:

http://www.latimes.com/business/mon...y-acura-nsx-avengers-20120512,0,1580757.story

"In anticipation of this, Marek and his team took the already-finalized design for the official NSX Concept and tweaked it a bit to throw off people who were on the scent for NSX clues."

Due to the inevitable leaks from public photos.

Honcho, I doubt it will be sub 3000lbs even if that is their target. I would be pleasantly surprised if they do tho! The head designer at Honda said that it's going to be heavy so they were trying to achieve a lighter look through the design language. I think conservatively, we shall see 3300 lbs. Look at the Porsche 918:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-porsche-918-spyder-prototype-first-ride-review

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.5 in
Length: 182.8 in
Width: 76.4 in Height: 45.9 in
Curb weight: 3750 lb
PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 2.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 6.0 sec
¼-mile: 10.2 sec
Top speed: 205 mph

This $850K Porsche with all the latest tech innovations weighs as much as the GTR and is roughly the same dimensions as the new NSX... :confused:

I hope Honda can do much better than that. It does help that Honda is not going to need big hp from the motors like Porsche is doing, but rather smaller, more efficient electric motors that rely on lower output batteries. So this may cut the hybrid weight by half, which would be like what, 300-400lbs? Total guess on my part - 3000 lb Porsche 918 + 750 lbs of hybrid components.

So if Honda can achieve say 2900lbs for the chassis/interior with motor, plus 450 lbs for the 3 small e-motors and batteries = 3350 lbs. I hope Honda can achieve a very light and sexy chassis :smile: That should be top priority

I respectfully disagree. The #1 technical challenge for the original NSX was an economical mass-produced aluminum monocoque body. It was such a huge obstacle that even Honda's own design team members actively discouraged engineers from particiating in what they thought would be a career-ending, massive failure. The word used was "impossible" and Ito was ridiculed daily for thinking he could pull it off.

Ito remembers that experience and has said that acheiving that "impossible" goal was the defining moment of his life as an engineer. He has challenged the American engineers in the same way and has given them an equally "impossible" design goal of sub- 3000lbs. He specifically stated he intends this to be a similar experience to his back in the 1980's because he thinks it will produce a world class, groundbreaking car like the original NSX. I think they will rise to the challenge like he did.

My personal suspicion is that they will come up with a way to more ecnomically produce CF panels for the hood, trunk/hatch lid, roof and perhaps door outer panels. The rest will be aluminum from the original NSX spec, or perhaps lightweight, high-strength steel in some structure parts. I also think you will see the wheels shrink to 18's or 19's. Assuming they hit sub-3000, they will not need massive 15" brakes, so they can save weight there too. Also, I think they will find better ways to isolate engine and road vibrations, so that far less heavy sound deadening is needed.

As for powertrain, a stock J35 with transmission weighs about 450 lbs. add another 400 for the SH-AWD hybrid system and you're at 850 on powertrain. Of course, that is assuming a stock J-series, which we know it is not. I think the engineers are going to put the whole powertrain on a diet.

I respectfully disagree. The #1 technical challenge for the original NSX was an economical mass-produced aluminum monocoque body. It was such a huge obstacle that even Honda's own design team members actively discouraged engineers from particiating in what they thought would be a career-ending, massive failure. The word used was "impossible" and Ito was ridiculed daily for thinking he could pull it off.

Ito remembers that experience and has said that acheiving that "impossible" goal was the defining moment of his life as an engineer. He has challenged the American engineers in the same way and has given them an equally "impossible" design goal of sub- 3000lbs. He specifically stated he intends this to be a similar experience to his back in the 1980's because he thinks it will produce a world class, groundbreaking car like the original NSX. I think they will rise to the challenge like he did.

My personal suspicion is that they will come up with a way to more ecnomically produce CF panels for the hood, trunk/hatch lid, roof and perhaps door outer panels. The rest will be aluminum from the original NSX spec, or perhaps lightweight, high-strength steel in some structure parts. I also think you will see the wheels shrink to 18's or 19's. Assuming they hit sub-3000, they will not need massive 15" brakes, so they can save weight there too. Also, I think they will find better ways to isolate engine and road vibrations, so that far less heavy sound deadening is needed.

As for powertrain, a stock J35 with transmission weighs about 450 lbs. add another 400 for the SH-AWD hybrid system and you're at 850 on powertrain. Of course, that is assuming a stock J-series, which we know it is not. I think the engineers are going to put the whole powertrain on a diet.
No doubt the can make the car a lot lighter, if they go with plastic body panels and a tube frame chassis it will be very light and stiff, I'm nearly sure they won't go that route.

I like your optimistic view. I don't think it is impossible and I hope they can achieve their target. The best way to do it be very efficient and keep all components minimal and simple. Very hard to do with such a hybrid system though, but hopefully Honda can deliver and maintain reliability also.

I just brought up the point that the much more expensive Porsche that is doing pretty much the same thing is a lot heavier especially with plenty of carbon fiber and lightweight materials. Money spent does not always equate to a better product though. There are too many high-end/luxury car models that are simply not worth anything near their retail price.

I like your optimistic view. I don't think it is impossible and I hope they can achieve their target. The best way to do it be very efficient and keep all components minimal and simple. Very hard to do with such a hybrid system though, but hopefully Honda can deliver and maintain reliability also.

I just brought up the point that the much more expensive Porsche that is doing pretty much the same thing is a lot heavier especially with plenty of carbon fiber and lightweight materials. Money spent does not always equate to a better product though. There are too many high-end/luxury car models that are simply not worth anything near their retail price.

I agree with you, though you have to remember how Porsche is doing it compared to Honda. There were aluminum cars back in the 1980's, but they were essentially hand-made. Picture a grizzled old man with a silver mustache and leather overalls painstakingly bending and forming each body panel by hand. That is how Porsche builds supercars, along with McLaren, Ferarri, etc. They are hand-built craft projects, which is why they are so incredibly expensive. This is not the Honda Way. Instead, Honda used its engineering genius to find a way to apply mass production concepts and Japanese efficiency to these exotic materials and designs.

The engineers have four major areas to tackle to hit Ito's 3000 pound goal:

1. Powertrain --> Honda already knows how to lighten a J engine. For example, they shaved off 30 lbs for the J30A4 that was in my old 2004 Accord Coupe 6MT. Thus, the real engineering challenge is to keep the hyrbid portion from getting too fat. A dual clutch semi-auto trans is very heavy and complicated compared to a manual trans. Fortunately, Honda has been developing this system since at least 2008 for the failed HSV-10, so they have a lot of data. Similarly, they need to make the 3 motors as light as possible without sacrificing reliability. Honda already has said the battery pack weight is "minimal" and they are comfortable with that piece of the system. Finally, Honda already has made the SH-AWD differential system 100 lbs lighter than the version that is in my 2009 RDX. Figure on a bit more for the NSX.

2. Body and Frame --> Lots of room for savings here, especially in the non-structural body panels. I agree that we probably won't see plastic, unless Honda can engineer a material that is rigid and takes paint well. Maybe? Like I said, I think they are going to make a run at "economical" mass-produced CF. The frame is a really fun question. Will they go with a stamped aluminum unit-body like the NSX? They already know how to do that, so there are some cost savings. Or, will they go tube frame? Obviously, tube frames are expensive because most are hand-welded and fitted. Perhaps Honda will figure out a way to robot-weld a tube frame on the line? A tube frame would be lighter than a unit-body. Also, we'll probably see thin glass used all over.

3. Interior and Accessories --> Like the original NSX, I think Honda is going to attack every item in the car for weight savings, from the A/C to the seats to the steering wheel and shift knob. Also, as mentioned previously, I think they are going to take on the sound-deadening material, which adds a ton of weight. With today's technology like active noise-cancelling (an existing Acura feature), there is no need to slap mats of heavy rubber all over the car.

4. Suspension --> Acura uses active magnetic suspension in some of its cars, but this is likely too heavy for NSX. I think the best solution is to use the existing NA2 front and rear wishbone layout and components- they are proven and light. Given the US-based production, Honda should partner with a domestic company like Penske to develop high-performance monotube shocks and use Hyperco springs or something similar. These will provide a smooth street ride, but also be very capable on the track. A domestic parts source would keep costs down. No sense in having Showa do it overseas. Same with the brakes. I know the massive Porsche brakes look cool on the auto show circuit, but if NSX comes in below 3000, it won't need such giant and heavy brakes. They should go with a solution using domestically-sourced aluminum monoblock calipers. There are plenty of companies like Baer or Wilwood who could do this. Again, it keeps the cost down and provides weight savings and high performance.

Back