Drove CTS-V today.

Our Caddy dealer got one in and called me up to take it for a spin.

Wow! It is awesome. I actually REALLY like the look of this car. it is gorgeous. The interior was pretty nice also, but not BMW or TL nice.

The power is amazing! 400HP Z06 engine! It is easily faster than my NSX and it handled well for a sedan. The shifter was nice and the clutch effort was minimal.

I was really impressed. It felt better than the M5 I drove a while back and a LOT more torquey.

I have yet to drive a M3, but I would seriously consider this car. I don't think there is another 4-door sedan that can touch it for $50K.

very nice cars indeed.. runs extremely smooth.. shifts nice as well! The engine bay is dressed up ..blah.. but then again, its a caddy hehe.. sleeper grocery getter .. i went for a ride in one and mannnnn..i really didnt think it would be very impressive but boy was I wrong!:eek: :)

Damn, that thing is seriously fast for a sedan. If a Caddy can come out with 400HP, why not the new NSX?:rolleyes:

I thought C&D had tested one 0-60 in something like 5.6s... but I don't recall the 1/4, so it could have been a freakin' rocket once the rear tires hooked up. I have to admit I like the CTS styling. Pictures do not do it justice, you have to see one on the road and only then do you see how nicely the angles and surfaces work together.

NetViper, what did you think of the steering and handling? Is it impressive in more than just straight-line speed?

Wait till you drive this bad boy.....

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7121&sid=178&n=158

8015_image.jpg

Now that's what I'm talkin about!!!!

I haven't driven it yet, but I think I'd still prefer an M3 or M5 over the Caddy.

-Awais

I would like to hear comparisons from those who have driven the M5 or M3 and the CTS V. I don't see how the $50k CTS could compare with an $80k M5. There has to be a big difference somewhere.

Alsodais said:
I would like to hear comparisons from those who have driven the M5 or M3 and the CTS V. I don't see how the $50k CTS could compare with an $80k M5. There has to be a big difference somewhere.

Pick up this week's Autoweek or go to the site www.autoweek.com on Sat. My issue had an article with reviews on the new CTS-V. Acceleration times they posted were comparable with the 3.0L Gen1 NSX and behind the M5. It stopped VERY well and was a very balanced car that was liked by owners writing in.

The writers loved the handling of the car and high praise was given to the lack of body roll and the tires (Goodyear F1s I believe).

Biggest complaints were the clutch (too light), dash, and interior materials.

A great car by the "General" - glad to see Detroit is finally listening and not just talking about competing with the Germans.

Subjective - but I agree - the "art and science" in this application with the subtle body enhancements is very attractive IMO and much better then the Audi A6, BMW 5 series, and on par with the E class.

the caddy is a awesome bang for the buck.. nice comfortable interior, xenon lights, sunroof, navigation etc.. u get alot more in the caddy for around $53k than u do in the $80k M5... I like the styling of the cts-v over the M5 as well.. The M3 styling and performance is awesome too but the M3 also cost a little more than the caddy and I honestly dislike the sound of the newer styled M3s...even with a nice exhaust system, the M3 doesnt have a nice sound from the outside but sounds sweet from the inside.. The M5 would probably have the edge on technology over the CTS-V though causing the price to go up.. Same as the E55, the styling is about as eye catching as a Sonata, but the technology and performance is just out of this world! The M5 will also have better fit and finish materials( ie leather) than the Caddy

Hey guys, wait 2-3 years and buy one for around 19-23K . American car makers have never been great about resale value. Same with my NSX, I could/can't ever afford a new one but after waiting a few years, you can get one hell of a deal compared to a new one.......Brent:D

I posted a question earlier about the CTS-V's performance as compared to the revered BMW M5. I wanted to know what the entire CTS-V rave was all about. After reading several magazine reviews and owners' opinions, I found that it may be a nice package, but it's really about SEVEN YEARS overdue. The BMW M5 and Mercedes E55 AMG have been doing all that it does (plus a whole lot more) for almost a decade now. GM has used a recipe borrowed from auto manufacturers that have the ambition and power to create cars to fit in new segments and that have proven to be successful. It takes a big commitment and risk to create a new segment of cars and find the right balance. Even then, they have not developed an engine nearly as sophisticated as the M5's high-revving masterpiece; it's merely a transplant of an existing engine from the Z06. They have used styling cues and technology tidbits from a variety of cars, for example: a G-Meter ala the Nissan Skyline (in the Skyline since 1997). Nearly all the responses from magazines and owners have followed with, "It's amazing........... for a Caddy." It seems as though people expect less from the GM and Caddy and therefore, the CTS-V is amazing CONSIDERING that it is a Caddy. That puts the car into perspective for me. Considering that the CTS-V is available for $20,000.00 under what the M5 and similar German cars sold for, it borrows from a host of GM parts and can't really be compared to those cars in terms of quality, value, innovation and timeliness. I think it's rather easy to put together a vehicle with a winning recipe that is seven years old for twenty-grand less. Lastly, with the new M5 on the horizon, current E55 and RS6, the caddy is going to be several rungs down the ladder in several considerations. After all, seeing a several dozen CTS-Vs everyday will not exactly make it a rare commodity; I know the NSX owners on this forum are used to exclusivity (that's part of the package).

Attachments

• 4595_832.jpg
    4595_832.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 157
Alsodais said:
Lastly, with the new M5 on the horizon, current E55 and RS6, the caddy is going to be several rungs down the ladder in several considerations.

The CTS-V is $30-40 less than the cars you are talking about. I don't think it was ever meant to replace a M5. I think they are more going after the M3 market.

At 50K, this car is a bargain. Old parts or not, it is a very competent sports sedan that will blow the doors off anything in the 50K mark.

It seems odd to me that many on this board accept the NSX as an awesome performance car and don't judge it purely on how many holes are drilled in the block (6 vs 8) - yet would judge another car but how many holes are above the block (32 valve DOHC vs Pushrod 16 valve).

I think there is a market for a $50,000 awesome performance car from the US. Now you have a choice of the 2 door C6 or the 4 door CTS-V.

BTW - many of the problem areas identified by owners of the CTS-V are areas I also don't particularly like about the 5 series with the manual tranny - IE clutch effort and interior.

This would be VERY high on my shopping list if I was looking at cars like the GS400, G35, 540, E class, or A6.

I'm not implying that it was aimed to replace the M5; I'm saying that it uses so much from other cars, especially the M5 (which was the fore-runner in this market). For Caddy to play with the makes of BMW, Mercedes and other cars in this price range, they are going to have to produce cars like this.

On side note, I found it akward that the CTS-V has its e-brake as a pedal instead of hand-operated lever.

Back