Doors Blown Off By SVT Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had my doors blown off by Svt Mustang today and it handled well on the winding roads we have here in Ky. NSX's need help soon. Not a good feeling when these teenagers make fun of you. The general discussion you here from them is they think an NSX is another exotic and they are more interested in something fast as hell with a back seat.http://www.svt.ford.com/flash/svt_pdf/2003_SVT_Cobra.pdf

So?

It should not be a surprise that any modestly enhanced performance car would be able to outrun a NSX on the street. Particurlarly if the driver is capable.

It could have been worse. You could have been driving a more expensive car like a 360 Modena or a Diablo. Then you would have really felt bad.
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

There will always be cars that are cheaper that can perform better. It goes on all levels and people can throw in all the money they want and have a better performing car but at the end of the day, its still a Camaro, Civic, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it. He may have been faster but the NSX is an obviously better overall car. You can always go for forced induction too ya know...
wink.gif

Originally posted by Jimbo:
It should not be a surprise that any modestly enhanced performance car would be able to outrun a NSX on the street.

Even a bone-stock Ford SVT Mustang Cobra (not to be confused with the ultra-limited-edition SVT Mustang Cobra R from a couple of years ago) can outrun a 3.0-liter NSX (in a straight line, anyway). For $35K, the SVT Mustang Cobra comes from the factory with 390 hp, and has been tested by the big magazines doing 0-60 in 4.5-4.9 and the 1/4 mile in 12.9-13.3 - numbers comparable to a 3.2-liter NSX.

I think any year manual NSX should be able to keep up with an SVT on a track given driver skill is equal. The supercharged V8 of the SVT does have an impressive 390hp but it weighs roughly 3600lbs. Thats a lot of weight to move around. The NSX is much lighter; about 600lbs lighter.

Next time you have an encouter like that , have the Mustang owners remove 2 of their pistons, just so you are on equal ground, then tell us the results.
cool.gif

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

[This message has been edited by Litesokneecough (edited 08 December 2002).]

Originally posted by Litesokneecough:
Next time you have an encouter like that , have the Mustang owners remove 2 of their pistons, just so you are on equal ground, then tell us the results.
cool.gif

exactly...i lost to a early cobra a few nites ago in the 1/4 mile ... he took me by a car length ..i wonder if i lost the passenger i could have beat him.

Originally posted by Jimbo:
It could have been worse. You could have been driving a more expensive car like a 360 Modena or a Diablo. Then you would have really felt bad.
wink.gif

Besides, I'm sure there are people who say to the owner of the other car, "You spent $35,000 for a MUSTANG???"

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Besides, I'm sure there are people who say to the owner of the other car, "You spent $35,000 for a MUSTANG???"

That is exactly what I say... $35K for a mustang is crazy.

I dunno, there are many, many cars I'd rather own than a modern Mustang regardless of performance.

You want to see the Mustang look bad on the drag strip, find someone with a Monster Miata with a 400HP supercharged Mustang engine and driveline. Remember, there is always something faster out there roaming around.

I used to own a modded '95 300ZX Twin Turbo that would outrun the NSX in a straightline badly.

So what!

At the end of any NSX encounter I always went home wishing I had an NSX despite my Z being much faster in a straightline...

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

LOL. He shoulda bought a used C5 with that amount of money.

A Mustang, even a damn fast straight-from-the-factory 390 hp blown SVT, is still a Mustang. And I've passed every one of them, even the IRS SVT, that I've ever seen at the track.

Originally posted by Acura NsX Pilot:

exactly...i lost to a early cobra a few nites ago in the 1/4 mile ... he took me by a car length ..i wonder if i lost the passenger i could have beat him.

Give it a try! Next time one of these starts to walk away from you - boot the passenger out and see if you gain on them! If that doesn't work you can start dumping stuff overboard like an old pirate movie to see if it helps you in your drag race!

biggrin.gif

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Don't get me wrong guys, I love NSX's and all but you gotta give Ford credit where credit is due.

This car is $35,000 and runs well into the 12's stock. Some have even hung with BPU Supras. It'll run with a C5 and on a good day a Z06. And this is for 10k less. (From one american car to another)

Also don't underestimate the joys of forced induction, the SVT Cobra may be brand spankin' new, but the blower is the same unit powering the Ford Lightning which has been around since what? 1999?

I've seen the numbers on an SVT Cobra, several owners simply buy a Lightning pulley, intake, catback and a few other minor mods totaling less than 2 grand and they're running deep into the 11's. Keep in mind this is for $37k BRAND NEW.

When all is said and done I'd still rather have an NSX and all, but come on guys, the "its still a mustang" arguement only goes so far. You've got to have some respect for what Ford has done here.

Most people perfer driving an exotic car than a non exotic fast car IMO. NSX is a head turner car. Last week while I stopped at an intersection, there were a guy turned his head to check out my 92 W/WW kit. Next thing I know he ended up smash into the SUV in front of him. The SUV slow down to make a turn into Steak n shake, I think he was doing about 35 mph. Luckily he was o.k.

Thanks, Rubber Chicken. This coming from a Mustang GT and NSX owner. I agree the SVT Cobra is nice for what it is, but it is no NSX. Had I known the NSX was in my price range prior to purchasing the Mustang, I would not have bought the pony. And I do regret the purchase, for I could have a late model NSX in my garage right now, instead of my 91...

Originally posted by JoeSchmoe:

LOL. He shoulda bought a used C5 with that amount of money.

I agree. BUt I must say, the Mustang's interior is nicer than the C5.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 09 December 2002).]

Originally posted by Rubber Chicken:
When all is said and done I'd still rather have an NSX and all, but come on guys, the "its still a mustang" arguement only goes so far. You've got to have some respect for what Ford has done here.

I didn't mean any disrespect with my comment, but rather, just wanted to point out that virtually every car is disrespected by some, either for being overpriced, or underpowered, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back