Do NOT buy cheap brakes or tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all the recent threads regarding the use of less than standard/acceptable tires and brakes on their NSX I felt obligated to start this thread that states:

Do NOT buy cheap brakes or tires !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about it: What is the one performance & safety device on your entire car that actually touches the ground? -Your Tires! Each of your 4 tires have a contact patch (the area of your tire that touches the ground) roughly the size of a size 11 shoe. Your entire car is connected to the ground equivalent to 2 people's shoes!!!!

With this in mind, in order to accelerate, brake, or turn (all performance AND SAFETY aspect) all of those inputs are transmitted to the ground by your tires. Regardless of how much power, how good your brakes or suspension is, without good tires, you are not optimizing your car or the accident-avoidance capabilities of your car.

I know the NSX has a higher tire wear issue than most cars, and the operational cost of owning an NSX can be quite high because of it. But keep in mind, you own a SUPERCAR, arguably the ONLY supercar to ever come out of Japan. It deserves a minimum of an acceptable tire.

To avoid an accident, improve the performance and handling of your car, INVEST IN A SET OF GOOD TIRES! - the best that you can afford for the weather conditions that you are in/drive the car in. I cannot stress enough the importance of your tires. Please don't buy $100 sumitomos, their are plenty of relatively inexpensive tires that deliver great performance for the cost, and Sumitomo and Fuzion are not on that list... Always check your tire pressure once a month!

Brakes:

This is a recent issue that I have had heated debates over. The second most important safety component on your car after your tires are your brakes. It doesn't matter how much HP or how good your car handles, if you cannot stop your car, that is the biggest issue. It is highly recommended to upgrade your brakes before your HP. DO NOT BUY brake components from an unknown, unproven source. Again, brakes are the #2 SAFETY DEVICE on your car, and you should not put something that is not proven to outperform the intended useage on your car.

Fluid/Stainless Steel lines:
Keeping track of how often you bleed your brakes is very important. It is 100% reasonable to boil your brake fluid during DAILY DRIVING!!! DOT3 and even DOT4 Penzoil brake fluid - the crap you get at Autozone, can boil under daily driving use. How? -Although the "Dry" boiling point is relatively high -means they'll work well when the system is flushed and has no water in the brake lines, when water does build up in the brake system from not being bled, the "Wet" boiling point of crappy fluids is dangerously low - could be as low as 200degrees which is easily attainable under daily use.

How to prevent this: If you track your car often, or push it hard on a mountain road, bleeding your brakes routinely is a good idea. If you do not want to invest in good brake fluid (although highly reccomended) it is even more important to routinely flush your fluid. More expensive fluids (ATE Superblue works very well and is very inexpensive) have a "Wet" boiling temperature very close to their "Dry" levels. This means that when theirs water in the line, they wont tend to boil until a much higher temperature = don't HAVE to flush the fluid as often.

Stainless steel lines are very good and DO deliver better pedal feel/feedback and reduce expansion during high pressure use (even daily driving). I highly reccomend upgrading to SS lines, but only to companies that specialize in it (Goodridge) do not buy $20 SS lines from Joe-Shmo's garage.

Pads
Their is a variety of brake pads out there, a large compromise is noise vs. performance. At the moment, its a compromise, its hard to find a good trackable pad that dosn't squeal. Heck, stock Ferrari 575, 430, 360, 512 all squeal their brakes, and if a Ferrari squeals their brakes, i'm perfectly fine letting my car squeal a little. For those that do not want the noise and need the performance, its a trade-off. Have a dedicated track pad and a dedicated street pad (and preferably rotor if possible).

Rotors
Crossdrilled, Slotted, "Blank", 2-pc, their are many options out there. Cross-drilled has a high tendency to crack (get over it, its a fact), stay clear from 95% of the rotors. Brembo's Big Brake Kits (x-drilled) actually hold up quite well, and have a lot of development under them, I highly reccomend them but i'd avoid x-drilled as a whole since most companies just drill the holes into them (x-drilled are primarily for looks). Slotted have more initial bite but higher pad wear, they tend to be more durable than x-drilled. Blanks are often fine for most applications. 2-piece rotors reduce warpage, and heat much better than 1-piece but be aware, poorly built 2-piece rotors can lead to catastrophic failures.

Big Brake Kits
With a simple pad/line/and fluid change, you should be fine to track your car. But with lapping days especially in higher HP cars, BBKs are always an option (although for 95% of the people out there, are not necessary and more for looks). Looks or not, its important to get a good kit, that has a lot of development on it and not a kit made for profits from a company that doesn't test or race their products. Performance Friction, Brembo, AP, Stoptech, Alcon are all reputable companies that actively are involved with motorsports to advance their products. Their are many other kits that I would highly recommend avoiding, due to their lack of performance, safety, develompment, and racing (or lack of) development.

Don't kid yourself, brake failures DO HAPPEN. The higher quality products you buy that actively are involved with motorsports, the better the chance that a catastrophic failure won't happen to you and the better chance that the system you bought will live up to every expectation and need you put them through.

I have been on the short-end of many brake failures and far too many kits that just did not have the durability, performance, feedback, or feel to even be on the market (in my opinion). Here are pictures of a recent brake rotor failure:

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Good luck with your purchases, and PLEASE, DO NOT SKIMP ON ANY BRAKE COMPONENT OR YOUR TIRES, they are the most over-looked safety devices on your car. Your life and your "supercar" deserve the best.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but those look like Racing Brake 2 piece slotted rotors. I had a set of one piece RB rotors that lasted 4 track days before getting heat spider fractures. I pulled them as a precaution and replaced them with RB 2 piece. Hopefully they will last a little longer.

Stuntman..thanks very much for the advice on your post. Great for guys like me, that are not that technically inclined, but would like options to better my safety when rippin' around in our Nsx's. You opinions will help everyone I'm sure, as we all own this car, we will abuse it's potentials and when we do, good to know steps were taken to ensure it's maximum safety concerns. Thx again. The brake fluids is one I will take to advice first.

The rotor failure in the picture looks like it happened because the caliper bracket was touching the junction of the rotor and hat. Did you notice any contact between the parts during the installation?

Last edited:
We all have different reasons for owning an NSX and I'm sure many of us use them in different ways.

While better tires do improve performance, I am not convinced that it helps in accident avoidance. For one, some accidents are unavoidable. Many times, drivers do not take evasive action. In times when drivers do take action, it isn't the correct one. And, even when taking the correct action, it isn't taken to the extent that it maximizes either the braking or turning potential of the car. Simply put, most people perform a knee-jerk reaction, freeze at that point, and ride it out. Tires and brakes in these cases make very little difference.

I pretty much refuse to get "red capital letters" excited about rants and warnings about what we must do to our cars based on your opinion. Regular maintenance and stock parts are completely adquate for normal driving conditions even if that includes spirited drives down mountain roads.

Is this issue really about your experiences with a certain company's 2-piece rotor or brake upgrade kit? Have you contacted the vendor for help? Was an acceptable resolution offered?

I'd much rather hear your experiences regarding a specific incident with a specific product than hear sweeping generalizations about safety.

I also agre with l8apex32, but I think in many cases (altho not all), accidents in a high performance car is due to the drivers inexperience to handle a car, that you can easily take to the edge of comfort and fear. The tires suggestion is one I can comprehend. This being that I am more use to soft compound tires, I had a set of cheap ars Kuhmo's ($101 cdn/tire) and not thinking about the tire swap, the corners ofcourse was much more uncontrolled and dangerous nonetheless. But it's a good reminder that's all. We can't always be at our sense all the time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but those look like Racing Brake 2 piece slotted rotors. I had a set of one piece RB rotors that lasted 4 track days before getting heat spider fractures. I pulled them as a precaution and replaced them with RB 2 piece. Hopefully they will last a little longer.

In another thread he mentioned these were the RB 2 piece rotors

Well I have two RACING seasons on my Racing Brake two-piece rotors front and rear with ZERO failure. My car is not an open track car but used in competitive racing. From his pictures it seems he had an installation or rubbing problem.

Your post was well written and very good reading. I have raced for 12 years and can tell you as a fact that on a High performance car like the NSX your contact patch grip is a very important area to always have at its best. If anyone thinks cheap tires make no difference in avoiding a accident when the time comes Well??? Sure not all accidents are avoidable but Braking and tire grip is a major part of the game Look at BMW’S X5 commercial, there emphasis is on avoidance threw handling. So not all accidents can be avoided that’s a crazy statement but fast avoidance type maneuvers and road hazards it will make a difference..
I think the writer of this thread was just offering some friendly advice IMHO.

The rotor failure in the picture looks like it happened because the caliper bracket was touching the junction of the rotor and hat. Did you notice any contact between the parts during the installation?
I understand what you are seeing but the caliper bracket never touched the hat -before failure. It touched the hat after the failure because the rotor is no longer in contact/connection with the hat and the rotor is floating around and moving around (in a rotary-fashion) around the hat damaging the hat -although it does definately look like the caliper bracket was hitting the hat, it wasnt. Also keep in mind that this was a hat/rotor combination directly from Racing Brake (not custom made hats).

While better tires do improve performance, I am not convinced that it helps in accident avoidance. For one, some accidents are unavoidable. Many times, drivers do not take evasive action. In times when drivers do take action, it isn't the correct one. And, even when taking the correct action, it isn't taken to the extent that it maximizes either the braking or turning potential of the car. Simply put, most people perform a knee-jerk reaction, freeze at that point, and ride it out. Tires and brakes in these cases make very little difference.

I pretty much refuse to get "red capital letters" excited about rants and warnings about what we must do to our cars based on your opinion. Regular maintenance and stock parts are completely adquate for normal driving conditions even if that includes spirited drives down mountain roads.

Is this issue really about your experiences with a certain company's 2-piece rotor or brake upgrade kit? Have you contacted the vendor for help? Was an acceptable resolution offered?

I'd much rather hear your experiences regarding a specific incident with a specific product than hear sweeping generalizations about safety.
This really is an issue about my experiences, my personal experiences with different products, and what I see others do and the outcomes from using crappy (as well as good) products such as tires and brakes.

This is a generalization because far to many people are interested in increasing the performance of their car with superchargers, suspension, etc... and use crappy/cheap tires and brakes. This is an acceptable generalization because it true, and brakes and tires are the 2 most important safety components on your car.

I do agree that often people have knee-jerk reactions to a problem, but if they give an input (correct or not) and they want an output (avoid the crash -brake or swerve) and their tires/brakes cannot give them the desired output because of lack of grip/ability -then tires and brakes definatly would help prevent an accident. BMW does pride themselves on their 'accident avoidance' abilities - promoting the handling of their cars. This is a true issue/fact and it is ignorant to argue it and say otherwise.

=Theirs a reason why I post "www.skipbarber.com" - and my emphasis on improving the driver before improving the car. But regardless if its an experienced driver or an inexperienced who may not know the best course to take to avoid an accident, if you dont have the tires or brakes to avoid an incident, theirs no way you can. if you have the tires/brakes, you have the POTENTIAL and ability to avoid them. I'll take as many options/potential to avoid an accident as I can (ex: tires, brakes -and even power in some cases).

These are Racing Brake 2-pc. rotors. We have used (and won many Time Attack events) on Racing Brake's rotors and calipers on Factor X's 550whp+ Time Attack NSX for over a year without any failures or major problems like this one.

The failure was not due to improper installation or rubbing issues of the pad on the hat or any other surface other than the surface area of the rotor itself. I am not sure if this was a rotor from a 'bad batch' or a fluke malfunction - which DO happen and are sometimes unpreventable. But the fact is it did happen.

Your post was well written and very good reading. I have raced for 12 years and can tell you as a fact that on a High performance car like the NSX your contact patch grip is a very important area to always have at its best. If anyone thinks cheap tires make no difference in avoiding a accident when the time comes Well??? Sure not all accidents are avoidable but Braking and tire grip is a major part of the game Look at BMW’S X5 commercial, there emphasis is on avoidance threw handling. So not all accidents can be avoided that’s a crazy statement but fast avoidance type maneuvers and road hazards it will make a difference..
I think the writer of this thread was just offering some friendly advice IMHO.
THANK YOU, someone with common sense and understands the reason why I started the thread!

Why wouldn't anyone take the ability to be able to stop better or turn better to avoid an accident?

Last edited:
Good post.....I concur......any advantage you can add to slow you down or take a turn better is a good thing. :smile:

Yeah thanks Stuntman! We always get the "My NSX handles like crap" or the "Check out my new wheels" thread where some guy bought $49.99 tires. My personal fav is the guys who buy $6k wheels and then $300 on tires LOL

Oh and lest I forget the "NSX scary in the rain" threads LOL

...I know the NSX has a higher tire wear issue than most cars, and the operational cost of owning an NSX can be quite high because of it. But keep in mind, you own a SUPERCAR, arguably the ONLY supercar to ever come out of Japan. It deserves a minimum of an acceptable tire...

I agree 100%. It always makes me sad when I hear someone who bought their NSX used say how it handles like crap, then look as see they have some cheapo $25 tire on there! How the heck do you expect a car to handle when you are handicapping it with horrible tires? I run the OEM Bridgestone tires now, and run the OEM Yokohama tires on my other one, and drive the cars on avarage of 15k - 20k miles per year. I usually figure in (1) set of fronts, and (2) sets of rears per driving season at that mileage. Add to that (1) full alignment and you are good to go. Call it an investment in safety. For a while I considered, and tried, an alternative tire. I let my wife and friends drive my cars, and soon realized that I would feel horrible if they got into an accident because I tried to save a buck and put cheap tires on there, so I tossed the old ones and went back to the OEM tires that were designed to maximize the NSXs performance. Decide what your life, and that of your friends and family are worth. If none of them are worth a few hundred bucks, you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

I disagree. Strongly.

Oh sure, in many cases, it won't make a difference. But in some cases, it will. Better brakes and/or grippier tires result in shorter stopping distances, with the same driver inputs. So they can make the difference between being able to stop your car before hitting something, and actually hitting it. And even if you hit something, they can also make the difference in how much the car slows down before hitting it, so that you hit at a lower speed. Not always in every case, but at least some of the time.

I disagree. Strongly.

Oh sure, in many cases, it won't make a difference. But in some cases, it will. Better brakes and/or grippier tires result in shorter stopping distances, with the same driver inputs. So they can make the difference between being able to stop your car before hitting something, and actually hitting it. And even if you hit something, they can also make the difference in how much the car slows down before hitting it, so that you hit at a lower speed. Not always in every case, but at least some of the time.

That is a great point mentioned nsxtasy. While reading these posts, came to realise that most Nsx drivers, (being a higher end car, so most of us have atleast 10 yrs driving experience) if ever does get into a situation, have the ability (at times) to pick the best places to lessen the damage if possible. These moments are crucial in timing and direction! Aside from using brake or gas, it's the tires that will execute all the functions of your brain, hand and feet in the end, having it's the only thing touching the pavement. ( ok i'm in for some wallet breaking rubber ) Thx for adding a few more sense to my thoughts. :)

Yeah thanks Stuntman! We always get the "My NSX handles like crap" or the "Check out my new wheels" thread where some guy bought $49.99 tires. My personal fav is the guys who buy $6k wheels and then $300 on tires LOL

Oh and lest I forget the "NSX scary in the rain" threads LOL

LOL..I did this! Bought some $85usd/per Kuhmo's last yr, and the guy at Kal Tire laughed his head off! Infront of me too! lol...I was even too embarassed to mentioned that it was merely for me to transport the car back and forth from the shop to get modified, and that the mags on it now will be stored. He started the conversation in the back with the other mechanics waiting to install them on, and you know what was said when "all of them turn the same time and look at me". What can i do? my stock tred was almost down to the wires, and my body kit just arrived! Oh well...let bygons be bygons ")

I can feel with stuntman and understand his post. Regarding a broken brake disc there would be no way for a acceptable resolution for me as this is a BIG failure. Not to imagine what would have happened and so on. I don't want to hear arguments like 'this can happen' now as these arguments people won't fly with an airplane that is known to crash once in a month. :wink: IMO there is no sorry for a broken wheel, brake disc or tire. Just my $0.02

I strongly agree with stuntman. I only buy known brand tires with known performance and never second hand ones. Brakes is also important and I don't skip fixing it waiting to have enough cash to do it. A friend had an accident last time because he didn't have enough money to buy good tires so it he bought one made in China (Wan Li) causing the tire to explode under hard braking that sent his car flying over the divider lane. Suspensions damaged, $5000 wheels damaged.

Good brakes have save my car many times from some stupid drivers who decided to change lane suddenly. Mine is dimple and slotted Brembo disc with EBC green stuff pads. Also SS lines are also installed.

I strongly agree with stuntman. I only buy known brand tires with known performance and never second hand ones. Brakes is also important and I don't skip fixing it waiting to have enough cash to do it. A friend had an accident last time because he didn't have enough money to buy good tires so it he bought one made in China (Wan Li) causing the tire to explode under hard braking that sent his car flying over the divider lane. Suspensions damaged, $5000 wheels damaged.

Good brakes have save my car many times from some stupid drivers who decided to change lane suddenly. Mine is dimple and slotted Brembo disc with EBC green stuff pads. Also SS lines are also installed.

Ok I think you were making a point on "cheaply made" tires that 'happened' to be made in China correct? Not to get deffered from the point of this post, but your quote seems to be showing a few focus either than the "good tire" choices.

It is pretty simple to me; tires have the most impact upon the ability of a race car (or any) to navigate a track. More than ANYTHING else, excepting for driver.

Why wouldnt they also make the second biggest difference in avoiding an accident, which is really just another challenging manouver you do in your car, just like a turn on a race track.

I agree with Billy and think its funny skrimping on rubber. Why not just drive a VW Fox?

Great Thread. It truely amazes me how many people want to add HP without improving themshelves or while cheaping on the tires. A friend of mine(who instructs) told me that Peter Cunnigham took a stock NSX at an NSXPO faster than any car(911, S/C NSX, modded NSX) he had even been in before. In his opinion, a stock NSX is quite capable.

The mods I have done on the car came after 2 years of tracking, and I didn't even add R-compounds until 3 years of sliding Bridestone S03's at the track. I still use stock Rotors with Carbotech pads. The pads are great for DE's and are quite rotor friendly.

Back