• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

DF Type R Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Is the price of $2,500 for both seats?

Can we see some more pics of the seats and the power rails with switch etc

What is the adjustment of seat on the power rails? ie forward and back or forward and back with base tilt?

Do the seats sit at the same height as OEM or the OEM NSX-R when on the rails and fitted in the car.

Can we see some pics of the NA1 NA2 AND Type-S trims please.

P.S The seats look great and I would be interested pending more pics etc.

No it's per which is still a great price. If it was $2500 for both they couldn't keep them in stock ..LOL

whoa, 5K for seats ... well, I am happy for those who can buy them then!

:)

Oscar

Last edited:
Updates....

FIA Status
The most important issue I need to confirm is the FIA approval and confirm that our production build is exactly the same for every seat made. When it comes to safety I am not going to skimp. We will be getting our constructor approval in about 1-2 months. he testing procedure will be putting a 200 lbs dummy which is going to be Sam. Then subjecting the seat to a 20-g rearward impact, inspection. Then a 15-g impact on the side, inspection. Then another 10-g impact from the rear, just to make sure. The inspection checks for cracks, fractures, separation, etc. Right now I am working with the engineer on deciding whether to go beyond the test standard and making it stronger to sacrifice 8oz of weight. The current build is at 4.25 lbs.

Meanwhile
While we work on the blueprint for the build you can take time to think about what you would like and specify what type of covering you would like. We can get just about any color or fabric or stitching (preferably double in the high wear areas side bolsters). I will try not to add any additional charges for custom, only if I can get the manufacturer to agree to it. Such as Mr. M. Lee, yes we can get the blue leather to match your OE seats and blue perf leather in the center inserts. As I said before they do OEM work for quite a few car companies and it was hard enough for them to take this project because of the low volumes I am presenting them. FYI they also do OE work for Recaro, Sparco and etc. They are also warranting the covers.

Heated seats option update
I am also working on the heated seats and it will be using the power and wiring from the Reclining function (which is now unused) rated at 20A (more than enough) and no additional wires or fuses necessary.

Headroom Issue
I can't measure the headroom until the final product is done so I can begin measuring. Based on Vance's NSX-R seats there is about an 1 inch additional gain you'll have. However when I sit in the seat it seemed like I was sitting higher, maybe because there is so much cushion when compared to the stock seats. Maybe Steve, Vance or Tom can elaborate their findings.

Test Drive
I want to setup a test drive for those people curious about the seats and see what the fuss is about. When I get my car done I will allow you guys to come for a test spin. If you don't like them, just cancel your place in the interest list, as no deposits are required. We will also send SOS some seats for those of you in AZ would like to get a test spin, if SOS has that available.

Interest List Pricing
I want to get this out ASAP, but I really need to get the final pricing for the coverings. Final details and material for the construction build finalized. Seat shell is 4.25 lbs and may vary up to 8oz from the final production version if we decide to add more supports, depending on the engineer.

Seat package confirmation
Just to confirm what is included here is the list:
Seat shell (Carbon Kevlar/Carbon--->Carbon 100% Tooling Epoxy)
Seat cushions (identical density and grade)
Seat covers (100% replicated or custom)
Seat Belt Buckle
Seat Rail w/ Motor
Seat Switch and Wiring
Recaro belt guides are hardware

Installation
Unbolt four bolts and slightly lift the seats to unplug the power harness and unbolt the seat belt strap. Put in the DF Type R seat, plug in the harness, bolt in the seat belt strap and bolt in the seats. The heater will work without addition work.

Personal Note
The more I sit in these seats the more I'm addicted, it's hard to figure out why they are so comfortable? Seating angle, cushion placements, flex areas, etc. The first seat from our production run will go in as my office chair, perhaps productivity will go down after that.

I'm not one to brown nose, but Holy Smokes, those are sexy!

If only circumstances were better for me... :frown:

Headroom Issue
I can't measure the headroom until the final product is done so I can begin measuring. Based on Vance's NSX-R seats there is about an 1 inch additional gain you'll have. However when I sit in the seat it seemed like I was sitting higher, maybe because there is so much cushion when compared to the stock seats. Maybe Steve, Vance or Tom can elaborate their findings.

Between the stock '02 seats and the OEM '02 NSX-R seats, I measured 0.1 inch less headroom with the NSX-R seats.

Refer to my review at http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=940558#post940558

They are easily the most comfortable seats I've experienced. I sat for 13 hours driving back from Portland NSXPO2008 and they felt great all the way.

nsx-r_seats_018_800.jpg

Thanks Steve for the info. Was considering another seat option... and these came up!

YOu can alter the height by using thinner foam paddings. Talk to Peter about it.

FYI sit before in before buying..:wink:....I had Recaro Pole positions, loved the looks, hated the feel.:mad:....sold for a loss 1,800.00 for pair...these were black leather and then bought leather Recaro sportster cs seats.....way more comfortable for daily driver weekender.more expensive too!! List for 1,895.00 each! w/o rails...for the track, these shell style non reclineing seats are great....Not trying to kill any sells, just saying to sit in a pair and see if they fit...i am 5'10" with 34 inch waste.....

P.S. I do think its cool offering the power rails
and the red leather is the "bomb"

Last edited:
YOu can alter the height by using thinner foam paddings. Talk to Peter about it.

This is a good idea. They should offer a standard "low-seating" option like how bride does with their "low max" line of seats.

Maybe even offer thinner foam in the backs for those with wider backs.

How much would this run, OP?

As steve says lthe height is about the same as the stock seats. I would also like to agree with steve that the factory nsx-r seats are the most comfortable seat i have ever had as well. i would like to complement downforce for bringing these out.. they look VERY nice

tom

hi guys --

This should be an awesome offering - we're all very excited about it. The NSX-R seats are a whole level of comfort above anything I've sat in before.

Regarding head room, the factory mounted the seats fairly high due to the power seat rails. With our manual rails, you can mount them considerably lower. These manual rails are very easy - you simply pull up on a lever to move back and forth. It makes adjusting much quicker and the weight is much less. That would definitely be the ideal setup for anyone over 6' tall or anyone planning on using a helmet in the car.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/sliding_seat_rails/

We'll be test fitting everything in a car soon and I'll post feedback as soon as we have it.

Cheers,
-- Chris

FYI, I have extra set of SOS seat mounts for this style seat. pm if interested:wink:

hi guys --
Regarding head room, the factory mounted the seats fairly high due to the power seat rails. With our manual rails, you can mount them considerably lower.

Chris are you talking about the R seats? because when I take the cushion off my factory seat the carpet hairs are sticking out through the seat frame holes.

Chris are you talking about the R seats? because when I take the cushion off my factory seat the carpet hairs are sticking out through the seat frame holes.

I'm talking about the NSX-R factory seats. Please see the photos above of the seats installed.

-- Chris

hi guys --

This should be an awesome offering - we're all very excited about it. The NSX-R seats are a whole level of comfort above anything I've sat in before.

Regarding head room, the factory mounted the seats fairly high due to the power seat rails. With our manual rails, you can mount them considerably lower. These manual rails are very easy - you simply pull up on a lever to move back and forth. It makes adjusting much quicker and the weight is much less. That would definitely be the ideal setup for anyone over 6' tall or anyone planning on using a helmet in the car.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/sliding_seat_rails/

We'll be test fitting everything in a car soon and I'll post feedback as soon as we have it.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris is correct about the original Type R seats. However, those seats are really built for slim people. I closely examined and played with a real NA2 Type R from head to tail. The car is very nice but it feels somewhat flimsy with many light weight materials/parts. The seats are comfortable and supportive but probably will get quite cramped if you have a waist beyond 34 inches. I am 6 ft tall with 32" waist and hovering between 165 to 175 lbs depending on seasons. They fit me very nicely for a racing seat. I am not sure how they are in a daily car basis. Chris is taller but he is slimmer and perhaps the seats actually fit him better than me. When Gan san and Takahashi san are sitting in them, it looked to me that they are quite comfortable too. Both Japanese racers are quite petite and Takahashi san has a larger waistline that I estimated as 34. IMO, the Type R seats are solely designed for the smaller and slimmer domestic population and have enough room as a daily driver. Afterall, true racers are supposed to be in good cardiovascular shape and all of them are slim. That's why all racing seats look similar to fit that kind of body shapes plus and minus a few pounds. I supposed, for the fat/obese, these seats are quite challenging to get in and out and certainly not very practically used in a daily driver. I saw Arnold and bigger guys wearing Speedos on the beaches and certainly the same mentality would not stop these big guys from getting these seats for the racer's look. But a big guy on these seats would look quite distressing not to mention that some vital blood supplies may get compromised. I am wondering if DF has a plan to make a "big" version of these beautiful seats to cater to the evergrowing obese Americans. Judging from the chocolate gifts that I get monthly and my unwillingless to waste them, I welcome that idea.
Steve

Last edited:
Chris is correct about the original Type R seats. However, those seats are really built for slim people. I closely examined and played with a real NA2 Type R from head to tail. The car is very nice but it feels somewhat flimsy with many light weight materials/parts. The seats are comfortable and supportive but probably will get quite cramped if you have a waist beyond 34 inches. I am 6 ft tall with 32" waist and hovering between 165 to 175 lbs depending on seasons. They fit me very nicely for a racing seat. I am not sure how they are in a daily car basis. Chris is taller but he is slimmer and perhaps the seats actually fit him better that me. When Gan san and Takahashi san are sitting in them, it looked to me that they are quite comfortable too. Both Japanese racers are quite petite and Takahashi san has a larger waistline that I estimated as 34. IMO, the Type R seats are solely designed for the smaller and slimmer domestic population and have enough room as a daily driver. Afterall, true racers are supposed to be in good cardiovascular shape and all of them are slim. That's why all racing seats look similar to fit that kind of body shapes plus and minus a few pounds. I supposed, for the fat/obese, these seats are quite challenging to get in and out and certainly not very practically used in a daily driver. I saw Arnold and bigger guys wearing Speedos on the beaches and certainly the same mentality would not stop these big guys from getting these seats for the racer's look. But a big guy on these seats would look quite distressing not to mention that some vital blood supplies may get compromised. I am wondering if DF has a plan to make a "big" version of these beautiful seats to cater to the evergrowing obese Americans. Judging from the chocolate gifts that I get monthly and my unwillingless to waste them, I welcome that idea.
Steve

So us 31" waist guys are safe:biggrin:

I would add to the above comments that the seats are not made for people over 6 feet with broad shoulders and waist over 34".

I had my NSX-R and the seats will dig into my shoulders on long trips.

I have the wider Pole Positions now and the difference is massive.

Still a fantastic offering from peter to those who fit. :)

Chris is correct about the original Type R seats. However, those seats are really built for slim people. I closely examined and played with a real NA2 Type R from head to tail. The car is very nice but it feels somewhat flimsy with many light weight materials/parts. The seats are comfortable and supportive but probably will get quite cramped if you have a waist beyond 34 inches. I am 6 ft tall with 32" waist and hovering between 165 to 175 lbs depending on seasons. They fit me very nicely for a racing seat. I am not sure how they are in a daily car basis. Chris is taller but he is slimmer and perhaps the seats actually fit him better than me. When Gan san and Takahashi san are sitting in them, it looked to me that they are quite comfortable too. Both Japanese racers are quite petite and Takahashi san has a larger waistline that I estimated as 34. IMO, the Type R seats are solely designed for the smaller and slimmer domestic population and have enough room as a daily driver. Afterall, true racers are supposed to be in good cardiovascular shape and all of them are slim. That's why all racing seats look similar to fit that kind of body shapes plus and minus a few pounds. I supposed, for the fat/obese, these seats are quite challenging to get in and out and certainly not very practically used in a daily driver. I saw Arnold and bigger guys wearing Speedos on the beaches and certainly the same mentality would not stop these big guys from getting these seats for the racer's look. But a big guy on these seats would look quite distressing not to mention that some vital blood supplies may get compromised. I am wondering if DF has a plan to make a "big" version of these beautiful seats to cater to the evergrowing obese Americans. Judging from the chocolate gifts that I get monthly and my unwillingless to waste them, I welcome that idea.
Steve

For my widebody, I would like to see something like this. :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

lounger.jpg

Steve did you really see the Governor of California in a speedo? :eek::biggrin:

Sorry for going off topic. Now back to our regular schedule programming.

Mike

For my widebody, I would like to see something like this. :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

lounger.jpg

Steve did you really see the Governor of California in a speedo? :eek::biggrin:

Sorry for going off topic. Now back to our regular schedule programming.

Mike
Mike,
Arnold in Speedo.
I suppose Arnold in Speedo is still better looking than most fat guys in shots.
Steve

Attachments

• arnoldspeedo.jpg
    arnoldspeedo.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Honestly though if you think about it it makes sense. They knew they weren't going to be selling it outside the home market.

Now I understand why the Zanardi didn't get the type S seats which are pretty much the same thing. Stock NSX seats get tight for big guys.

Perhaps DF will make an "XL" version :biggrin:

Honestly though if you think about it it makes sense. They knew they weren't going to be selling it outside the home market.

Now I understand why the Zanardi didn't get the type S seats which are pretty much the same thing. Stock NSX seats get tight for big guys.

Perhaps DF will make an "XL" version :biggrin:

That's exactly what I have been saying all along about those seats. But, to each his own, the fat rice boys would still search all over the world for that JDM/Speedo look. Different strokes. Hey, just because those seats look mighty cool, Senna looked good in it, and most Japanese men fit well in it, it does not mean YOU would look good.
Not only you need to worry about the waistline, if you have wings/lats like WingZ, you should double check.
Another beautiful DF product but this time one should look in the mirror and ask if they want to look like 10 lbs of potatos in a 5 lb bag. I'd vote for the XL version if ever possible.
Steve

Last edited:
Another beautiful DF product but this time one should look in the mirror and ask if they want to look like 10 lbs of potatos in a 5 lb bag. I'd vote for the XL version if ever possible.
Steve

Bwahahahahaha oh snap 10lbs of potato ..LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back