Cop caught on tape...

In my experience, state troopers ( or highway patrol what have you ) are the most professional, followed by city cops, and then finally by sheriff's deputies.

I've never been pulled over ( knock on wood), but after having several incidents, I cannot stand the county sheriff's office. In my county, it's mostly a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" attitude where the deputy's cronies are above the law. I am not impressed.:mad:

However, having said that, my dad's been a cop for 27 years, taken off street duty 10 years ago due to chasing a guy on foot and getting hurt so I have a soft spot for police. I say it's a wildcard and not indicative of the entire force, but you have to watch the relationships of the police as they relate to the guy in charge. If the guy at the top is crooked, you can bet the guys writing you the tickets are crooked as well, but not always.

dead on

It seems as though that the more intimate the authority is with the subordinates, the more potential there is for corruption.

I wonder what happens at the outcome of these investigations? A few days suspension?

I know that if I demanded extra perks from my vendors or even accepted gifts in excess of $100, I would be fired immediately.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/10/troopers_probed_for_demanding.html

The State Police are investigating accusations that some of their troopers, including a top-ranking officer, routinely abused their positions to get special breaks on tickets and other perks for events at the PNC Bank Arts Center.

Since last year, internal affairs detectives have been probing allegations that Maj. Daniel Cosgrove, the former head of the Parkway patrol division, and troopers assigned to the Garden State Parkway, hounded Arts Center staff to give them free tickets to concerts, or extra tickets, better seating and waivers on surcharges.

The authorities are also investigating claims that Cosgrove got free use of Arts Center facilities and staff for a birthday party he threw for himself at the Holmdel venue.

"The State Police view themselves -- and not just one State Police officer, everyone -- as above the general public and they can walk in and get tickets and we would give them the better tickets and we wouldn't charge them a fee," said Michele Pittenger, a former senior manager at the Arts Center who was interviewed by investigators late last year.

Capt. Al Della Fave, a State Police spokesman, confirmed that a number of troopers are being investigated. ¶

"We will fully vet those allegations and, if it turns out there is a basis to those allegations, we will take the appropriate action," Della Fave said.

The Arts Center probe began more than a year ago, after staffers at the Arts Center complained anonymously to State Police officials about the behavior of State Police officers at a Toby Keith concert on Aug. 13, 2006.

Pittenger said some troopers wanted free tickets, others wanted better seats. She said the threats were imprecise but the troopers made it clear they could make her life difficult.

"The troopers were out of hand, absolutely out of hand," she said.

Read the full story today in the Sunday Star-Ledger.

Back