Comparisons of 911s to NSX? Considering buying an NSX!

Once again Guys I appreciate everyone here taking the time to write and be so kind to a newbie. I especially enjoyed the last post here from the die hard Porsche guy. He's sure right about Porsche guys being car guys! I know I'm sure one of them as is eveyone here on the site.

I would like to ask a question of you guys here that peaked my interest from another forum post here about oil pressure and temps? Apparently a guy was monitoring his oil pressure and temp while tracking and noticed low levels of pressue and higher temps and was wondering about oil coolers and special Acura sump oil pans with bafflers in them. So now I'm wondering if there are any issues with just spirited driving that affect oil pressure and temp. Is this something anyone would normally need to be concerned about? Coming from 911s I sure understand issues concering oil temp; lots of guys install auxillary oil coolers with older 911s. Porsche also does a lot about keeping oil in the right places during cornering heavy. The newest engine has 4 pumps I believe to take care of both sides of the engine whether turning left all day or right all day depending on the track cause apparently they are either left hand biased or right hand biased.

Hopefully you'll all say that there is nothing to worry about and these engines go foreve! But I'd just like to know if there is something to be aware of on this note.

Thanks again to everyone,
Tim
In search of.....

Jeez man, stop worrying and buy the car :biggrin: The NSX is about as rock solid as you can get.

Thanks Bfrank, you are frank! I will take your advice without a doubt. It'll take a while I suppose but I will hav one before the summer is out!

The NSX doesn't have a dry sump. So if you are doing track days - you *might* notice the oil pressure drop at high rpm's when driving on banked curves. This usually happens at a ROVAL. It is a topic of much debate. The consensus is that if your NSX is a track toy then you should install an Accusump. I don't think you have anything to worry about with "spirited driving". Many of us have done numerous canyon drives/spirited drives in our NSX's without any issues.

Hey Guys,

Sounds to me like there are just no problems with these cars that are worth worrying about for normal and spirited driving and perhaps an occassional track outing with a club.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm sold on the NSX. I think another biggey for me was when I found out you can put two sets of clubs in the trunk! Now that's great, not much else but then I've got the RL to use. So it's no biggy at all. I just can't wait to get my first ride in one and then to get my own.

Thanks to everyone for writing and being supportive.
TIm
Atlanta

I had posted in another section about a 996 versus an NSX..... THIS POST IS GREAT. EXACTLY what I needed to read.

I also have a PM into Tim Bromley to see how he feels 6 mos later.

I am somewhat disappointed though, as I had found a really nice, original 19K mile 1999 996 Aero package car, full records, maintenance....but am now scared off of 996's. I am a German car guy at heart (BMW/Porsche) but perhaps now will look to get a taste of Asian cooking.

Lots to think about tonight.

John

Last fall I traded my 2004 996 C4S for a new '09 C2S with PDK and sport chrono......I got killed on the 996 resale, even though it was the last year. I had tracked the car at PCA HPDE events the last two years, with no problems...I was the second owner, with 27K miles, (and my first Porsche, as I had sold my '96 NSX and couldn't locate it's replacement) but only got $40K trade value towards the 997. My NSX will be my collector car, since I'm the 2nd owner and it only has 17K miles, I do enjoy the Porsche more on the track, and want to keep my NSX stock....either car is a blast to drive, but they are really hard to compare!
Good luck:smile:

Last fall I traded my 2004 996 C4S for a new '09 C2S with PDK and sport chrono......I got killed on the 996 resale, even though it was the last year. I had tracked the car at PCA HPDE events the last two years, with no problems...I was the second owner, with 27K miles, (and my first Porsche, as I had sold my '96 NSX and couldn't locate it's replacement) but only got $40K trade value towards the 997. My NSX will be my collector car, since I'm the 2nd owner and it only has 17K miles, I do enjoy the Porsche more on the track, and want to keep my NSX stock....either car is a blast to drive, but they are really hard to compare!
Good luck:smile:

My budget really needs to stay in the mid-$20's, which if P-car means a 996.
The Porsche internet banter on the RMS/IMS issues with the 996 frighten me. No way would my lovely wife remain lovely if I came home with a blown engine .... even if the likelihood is in the 1-5% probability. My understanding of the Intermediate Shaft failure (IMS) issue is that you can't really diagnose until too late. The Rear Main Seal (RMS) leaking -- I can cope with.

I've had my Porsche for 2 years. No issues. Starts every time. Maintenance bills were on par with my NSX. I think the 911 & NSX are analagous when buying them in that you need to find a good example. There are nightmares out there for any make or model.

Do your homework, don't buy emotionally and you'll have a great car.

I've had my Porsche for 2 years. No issues. Starts every time. Maintenance bills were on par with my NSX. I think the 911 & NSX are analagous when buying them in that you need to find a good example. There are nightmares out there for any make or model.

Do your homework, don't buy emotionally and you'll have a great car.

I am talking about early 996.

I think the engine, etc on GT3 car is much different in terms of risk areas (like the RMS, and IMS). But good to know that yours is rock solid.

I know several folks in town with 996's, and apart from a leaky seal, not issues. I just don't want to be one of the 1-5% who have a catastrophic failure and come home with a $13K engine bill. I am scaring myself out of buying a very nice car.

I had a 996, a 997S, and an 03 NSX. All great cars. The Porsches have to be pushed to be fun. The NSX is fun all the time, even on slow drives. The Carrera S was way more performance than the NSX but I still miss the NSX, don't miss the C2S.

Today I drive a base Boxster 07. I have to say I love it. It's so much fun reving out first and second gear, and with the top down it's remarkably quiet. Keeps me from getting another NSX. Go figure. I don't miss the HP. The Boxster weighs in at just under 3000lbs and won't put me in jail in under 6 seconds.

..IMHO A 996 is the least attractive 911 EVER made..

Actually, the first 99 996, in its basic form has emerged imo, the best looking of the 996's. They're pure in a way. Sort of like a good aged wine, and a better car than the 993 on paper. The later 997's were an attempt to capture the 993 look which cheapens the brand a little by being a 993 knockoff.

View attachment 67074
Click for larger image

Back