Comparisons of 911s to NSX? Considering buying an NSX!

Oh, and when you're in traffic and that oil temp guage starts rising, ohhhhhh, man this traffics just gotta get moving or I'll have to pull over. I'm tired of that!

Hah that sounds familiar!! I used to own a 1973 911S 2.4 with that issue, turns out some varmit decided to make a temporary home inside my engine which blocked airflow. It's a love/hate relationship in many cases, but I still miss that car to this day. The old air cooled 911's sorta get under your skin somehow.

I currently own a 2004 (996) C4S, and have tracked the car at the Porsche drivers education sessions, and of course driven locally.....I owned a 96 NSX targa, moving up from a 2003 S2003 and loved the car, but it had 47K miles....spent pretty much updating and maintenance, and wanted a newer model. Sold it and couldn't find the right car, so I bought the C4S.....of course 9 months later, a 2005 NSX was available off lease with less than 15K miles, so I bought it.....I have tracked it at the drivers education sessions also, and both run very close to the same.

As far as fun factor, I prefer the NSX, but hate the dealer experience compared with the Porsche dealers......so I guess it always comes down to what everyone has been saying....try it out, and you will probably buy one!

Good luck,

Ray

While I have driven both a 911 and an NSX, my comparison isn't very fair, but I will chime in anyway.

The problem is the 911 I've driven is a '02 996 GT2 with a mild chip, and my '92 NSX is what I call a "rescue car" with over 200,000 miles on it.

So, ignoring speed, and anything I could contribute to the age/lack of care by the previous owner, my thoughts are as follows.

Handling: Porsche wins...sorry (again not really an apples/apples comparison)

My NSX's steering is nearly as direct (w/o power steering) once it's 5 degrees off center, but does not feel as good with very small inputs. The Porsche reacts to very small inputs.

Obviously this porsche cornered flatter, and the ride was not that much more harsh than my NSX. I haven't ridden in an '02+ NSX or a "normal" 911 TT though, so that may be entirely different.

Driving usability. Depends on what you need

The Visibility out of the NSX puts the Porsche to shame, the NSX seats are better than the stock (non clubsport) seats in the 911 by a long shot, and the shifters are equally precise/occasionally notchy. If you know how to pack one, the NSX can carry alot of stuff, but not as much as the Porsche. an AWD TT will be easier in inclimate weather, and can seat 4 (well 2 adults and 2 small children anyway).

I looked at some used 996 C2s as a "devil's advocate" car while I was looking for an NSX, and there was not a strong enough case to talk me out of the Acura, but I was biased from the start towards the NSX.

With all of that said, drive both. Better yet, see if you can get to a track day and ride with someone (that knows what they're doing) in each on a track and see which you like better.

Ok I had to chime in on your comment.....first of all you are comparing a mildy modded GT2 compared to a stock 91 nsx or if that with some mods? No it is not fair =p

You are not comparing apples to apples here.......

A more fair comparison would be a Jon Martin NSX 3.8L stroker motor, with JRZ's, big brake kit, OSGIKEN 4.44, short gears etc... and some other mild goodies......the GT2 in stock form already has race car parts on it already from factory..(huge brakes, great suspension, roll cage etc...)

Compare those two and I bet you will get a way different perspective.

Both cars will be more on equal terms and then see how much closer it will be. Both cars will have the about the same HP...with the GT2 still having more and the suspension and brakes will be about the same now with the NSX having the same suspension and brakes equality as the GT2 stock with its race/track parts.

Look both cars are great....I like Porsches and I am not slamming them....give me a turbo 911 anyday or a gt3 or gt2 with my NSX......but the NSX still looks better and if you build one up, it can still keep up or kick a lot of modern cars asses today.....with reliabilty for the most part...(depending of who builds them and if the driver is not a hack.)

Last edited:
Top Gear actually likes the NSX. I know Tiff reviewed it and on the track said it was quite good. They also had a handling competition. I did just watch the old EVO/STI/NSX comparison for the first time and perhaps it was the car that Tiff was driving. After all they did say it had 100,000 km and value for money wasn't as good as the EVO. Here are the other videos:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/old-Top-Gear-view-Best_175849.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gear-HondaAcura-NSX_159719.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/040-Top-Gear-Honda-NSX_183647.htm

German cars consume oil.

My E36 M3 (which has a sticker on the water temp gauge saying "Check engine oil level regularly") as well as my Girlfriend's 2001 Jetta both consume 1 Quart every ~700miles as well. My uncle's 993TT, same thing.

Top Gear actually likes the NSX. I know Tiff reviewed it and on the track said it was quite good. They also had a handling competition. I did just watch the old EVO/STI/NSX comparison for the first time and perhaps it was the car that Tiff was driving. After all they did say it had 100,000 km and value for money wasn't as good as the EVO. Here are the other videos:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/old-Top-Gear-view-Best_175849.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gear-HondaAcura-NSX_159719.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/040-Top-Gear-Honda-NSX_183647.htm
I've never been a huge Clarkson fan, but I do like him a lot better in the first video from the early 90's. Tiff is awesome, but he was way more conservative back then without all of his current shenanigans and and powerslides. It's very neat to look back at those older videos and see how journalists change over time. But Tiff did race Formula 1 and other high levels of motorsport.

Last edited:
I've never been a huge Clarkson fan, but I do like him a lot better in the first video from the early 90's. Tiff is awesome, but he was way more conservative back then without all of his current shenanigans and and powerslides. It's very neat to look back at those older videos and see how journalists change over time. But Tiff did race Formula 1 and other high levels of motorsport.

Jason Plato is my favorite presenter/driver (Fifth Gear)...Clarkson's ego has made his head too big.

Jason Plato is my favorite presenter/driver (Fifth Gear)...Clarkson's ego has made his head too big.

+1, Plato seems more down to the point and no-nonsense while still being entertaining. Clarkson's head, well... just look at it... though I enjoy the banter. The Vietnam epsiode was particularly hilarious. Tiff, much respect for who he is, but listening to him squeal on about this and that is like a drill to the head after a while. Regarding German cars using oil, that's a tough generalization to back up - used to own an E36 M3 and it never used a drop of oil... 1 quart per 700 is relatively high. I think it depends on many factors (type of oil, car's history, environment, etc).

(back on topic, sorta) - for street usage, both a modern 911 or an NSX are plenty fast to be enjoyable on the street. If you're serious about speed at the track, as the other guys said, both will be a compromise. IMHO it's all about the driving experience, not the numbers. That early 911 I had was a good example, not that fast on paper but it was hella fun to drive. I say drive both, and then go with the NSX :biggrin:

Tell me something guys if you were looking seriously at a 98 with over 50k miles on it, would you expect that the timing belt/water pump and hoses should have been replaced? The guy says he took it in last year to an independant mechanic that said "it didn't need it". One guy here told me I should look for that to be done. After all this 98 is over 10 years old - what say you guys? Also I'd really like to get a bit of concensus from ya'll as to how long in general, if driven properly, a clutch should last. That's an expensive item as is the timing belt/water pump. If I start dealing with this guy I want to be able to use these maintanence issues as "bargaining chips". Any help you guys can give would be helpful on this stuff.

Thanks again, hope to be joining you as an owner in a while. I'm still trying to sell my Honda 2007 Civic SI 4 door, which has 18k+ miles on it and has been maintained by the dealer for everything. It's in great shape.

Tim
Atlanta

Tim, there are a few nice NSX's for sale in the ATL area. Check out this '03 Yellow. Not sure if yellow is your thing, but this car is a tremendous value and he is also local. As far as your question goes:

1. You cannot bring in your NSX to an independent mechanic who can deem the timing belt is "fine" without actually removing the timing belt. If this was the case, most of us would never have done this important preventative maintenance job. I actually just had my dealership complete my timing belt service yesterday. Parts were purchased from Acura of Augusta who saved me about $300 from my local dealership. If this 98 owner has no record of the timing belt, hoses, etc. being replaced, assume it was never done. On the newer model NSX's, you need this done @ 7 years (not 6). The '03 which I posted will need to be completed next year based on Acura's recommendations. Also you need the valve adjustment. This would be at least a 2-2.5k "bargaining chip."

2. Clutch is VERY difficult to assess. It's based on the driver. I have 55k miles now and it still feels fantastic. To my knowledge, it was never replaced. Other owners have mentioned replacing their clutch much earlier and much later!

1st of all - Welcome to Prime. Good Luck with your search.

2nd - YES!! TB/WP should be absolutely done in a 6+ year old car. Not because it might fail but because it is standard maintenance on a NSX. Every other NSX you see for sale should also have TB/WP done if it is more than 6 years old. Eg - my 98 NSX got TB/WP service at 47K miles because it was due.

Regarding 911 vs. NSX. My opinion is quite a bit biased since I own a stock GT3 and completely track sorted NSX. However I will add a couple of comments.

IMHO A 996 is the least attractive 911 EVER made. Again - THIS IS MY OPINION but It is NOT a beautiful car. Conversely a 993 is IMHO the most beautiful 911 every made. The TT makes up for it by being a fast car but it still isn't attractive. Atleast it doesn't have an enlarged Boxster motor in it.:wink: The 911 seats much higher than the NSX. The dash is high and upclose. It took me a while coming from a NSX to get used to the high seating and dash. I still prefer the seating/dash/view ahead and ergonomics on my NSX. On a 996 the dash and interior looks very very cheap. Sadly one of the reasons I went with a 997 was b/c I prefer the exterior and interior styling. My GT3 has lowered suspension and lowered seats(compared to a stock 911) but I feel like I am driving a sedan compared to my NSX. That can be a good thing if you are getting older but it sure doesn't feel like a true sports car. To me the newer 911's are GT cars. They are "jack of all trades" kind of a car. If you want a sports car then you go for a GT3 and mod it. If you want a cruiser get a base 911 or cabriolet. You have a baby but don't want to drive a Minivan - buy a 911:biggrin:

Don't get me wrong - a TT will feel and be much faster than a NSX(400+ lb/ft of TQ vs. 200 lb/ft of TQ) but it feels/drives more like a precision tool for speed. The NSX - well it is hard to explain. It does so many things very well but doesn't excel at any particular one. I still love mine and look forward to days when I get to drive it. I would highly recommend that you drive one for a couple of hours. See if you can befriend a local NSX owner and spend time in the car. It doesn't have the storage space of the 911 but everything else - I would say should be in the same league as a non turbo 996.

Maintenance - once you have TB/WP done the NSX will be much much cheaper. The car is very easy to work on. All basic maintenance and brakes can easily be done by avg. DIY wknd mechanic. Tires - will be cheaper on the NSX just because they are smaller.:tongue:

Resale - you could buy a NSX today while the market is soft and sell in a year for profit. I doubt you could do that on a 996.

Finally - I like the fact that none of my Porsche buddies understand the NSX. I like that I am member of a very exclusive car fraternity. I have something that very few people love and dream of owning. I love the history of it, the engineering, the link to Aryton Senna, the mid engine shriek at 8,000 rpms. I could go on and on. It is easy to like a 911 or a Ferrari. But it takes a special person to truely appreciate a NSX.

Enjoy the search.

Last edited:
1st of all - Welcome to Prime. Good Luck with your search.

2nd - YES!! TB/WP should be absolutely done in a 6+ year old car. Not because it might fail but because it is standard maintenance on a NSX. Every other NSX you see for sale should also have TB/WP done if it is more than 6 years old. Eg - my 98 NSX got TB/WP service at 47K miles because it was due.

Regarding 911 vs. NSX. My opinion is quite a bit biased since I own a stock GT3 and completely track sorted NSX. However I will add a couple of comments.

IMHO A 996 is the least attractive 911 EVER made. Again - THIS IS MY OPINION but It is NOT a beautiful car. Conversely a 993 is IMHO the most beautiful 911 every made. The TT makes up for it by being a fast car but it still isn't attractive. Atleast it doesn't have an enlarged Boxster motor in it.:wink: The 911 seats much higher than the NSX. The dash is high and upclose. It took me a while coming from a NSX to get used to the high seating and dash. I still prefer the seating/dash/view ahead and ergonomics on my NSX. On a 996 the dash and interior looks very very cheap. Sadly one of the reasons I went with a 997 was b/c I prefer the exterior and interior styling. My GT3 has lowered suspension and lowered seats(compared to a stock 911) but I feel like I am driving a sedan compared to my NSX. That can be a good thing if you are getting older but it sure doesn't feel like a true sports car. To me the newer 911's are GT cars. They are "jack of all trades" kind of a car. If you want a sports car then you go for a GT3 and mod it. If you want a cruiser get a base 911 or cabriolet. You have a baby but don't want to drive a Minivan - buy a 911:biggrin:

Don't get me wrong - a TT will feel and be much faster than a NSX(400+ lb/ft of TQ vs. 200 lb/ft of TQ) but it feels/drives more like a precision tool for speed. The NSX - well it is hard to explain. It does so many things very well but doesn't excel at any particular one. I still love mine and look forward to days when I get to drive it. I would highly recommend that you drive one for a couple of hours. See if you can befriend a local NSX owner and spend time in the car. It doesn't have the storage space of the 911 but everything else - I would say should be in the same league as a non turbo 996.

Maintenance - once you have TB/WP done the NSX will be much much cheaper. The car is very easy to work on. All basic maintenance and brakes can easily be done by avg. DIY wknd mechanic. Tires - will be cheaper on the NSX just because they are smaller.:tongue:

Resale - you could buy a NSX today while the market is soft and sell in a year for profit. I doubt you could do that on a 996.

Finally - I like the fact that none of Porsche buddies understand the NSX. I like that I am member of a very exclusive car fraternity. I have something that very few people love and dream of owning. I love the history of it, the engineering, the link to Aryton Senna, the mid engine shriek at 8,000 rpms. I could go on and on. It is easy to like a 911 or a Ferrari. But it takes a special person to truely appreciate a NSX.

Enjoy the search.

I must say - this is one of the most well written, best articulated(sp?) reviews / thoughts on NSX v 911.
Over the years, on many different occasions I have come close to going over to a 911, C2S, GT3 or TT but....just could not "pull the trigger".
Everything you stated is why I will stay with the NSX forever (hopefully).

Again - very well put!! Nice write-up.

I must say - this is one of the most well written, best articulated(sp?) reviews / thoughts on NSX v 911.
Over the years, on many different occasions I have come close to going over to a 911, C2S, GT3 or TT but....just could not "pull the trigger".
Everything you stated is why I will stay with the NSX forever (hopefully).

Again - very well put!! Nice write-up.

+1.....well said!

Hi Guys,

After reading a bunch of ya'lls great posts I just had to chime in again. All the things that have been said have convinced me that the NSX is my next car. I'm just getting my financial ducks in a row right now and selling my Honda Civic 4 door SI 2007 model with 18k miles. It's a great car but I expect the NSX to be way better still. I've you tubed the car to pieces, I've emailed many of you separately and now all of you jointly.

Thanks to everyone for being great about chiming in, truly a great bunch of guys here and I already feel at home; but will feel even more at home when I'm finally driving one.

If my own research on 996s and 997s didn't turn me off as I mentioned earlier this afternoon convinced me even more. Guys I'll tell you - Porsche is not the same company it was in up until the late 90s with the 993. It just isn't, the build quality isn't there anymore. My 993 was the penacle of the air coolers - when they went water cooled they just went down hill. Sure technically they maybe faster and safer but they are definitely built cheaper with more plastic than ever, not just plastic but cheap plastic. Now the 996 TT might be better mechanically because like the GT2 and GT3 they are built with a different engine; one that is based on the 993, but they are still more cheaply built and they won't last as long as they used to back in 89 I can tell you that. The 89 3.2 was really the last of the handbuilt Porsches, but the 964 and 993 were still great cars and felt like a Porsche, the doors closed like a real Porsche should but not the 996, 997 or any of them, Boxster, Cayman you name it they aren't built to last - well they will but they will surely cost you out the ying yang going past 100k miles; for sure!

I am going on my last Porsche rally tomorrow up to Wolf Mountain Vinyard with the Peachstate Club up to Dahlonega in the mountains and my good friend and Porsche shop owner has lent me his Boxster to go up with the group in - nice right, well thank you George, it has shown me what to expect from Porsche at 94k miles. Man that car is a piece o crap! Sure it looks good, but the interior is plasticy and well, just cheap and the rear end just feels tired. I wouldn't have one. So like I say if I wasn't convinced before I sure as hell am now. My Civic is built better than the Boxster, maybe not as fast, maybe it doesn't handle quite as good but it is built waaaaay better and it will most assuredly last longer than any Boxster unless you put a lot of money in it. It needs shocks, it needs rear end work, half shafts, the tranny doesn't feel right, - it just ain't like the old guys I'm telling you.

Fast forward to the NSX and it looks great, feels solid and is handbuilt by super Japaneese technicians slowly and methodically by hand with an engine that really is "bullet proof" - no doubt! I am totally pumped about the NSX. It's a great little secret that few really know and understand just like many of you have said, ABSOLUTELY, and I hope it stays that way really. You gotta kind of get there after trials and tribulations like I have to really appreciate the beauty and RELIABILITY that makes this car a true super can, not just words, but real life super car and built to LAST!

The NSX is for real, you can say what you want about Lambos, DB9s, Ferarri, and Porsches but they will all cost you so much money up front and forevermore you will be crazy at the end, while all you guys are just, well, happy, I mean really happy. This site is all about happy stuff, racing happy stuff, modifying happy stuff and everyone is walking around with that Chesire Cat grin on their face cause their cars really are bullet proof and they are happy cars! I want to be happy, I don't want to worry everytime I hear some funny noise or worry whether my intermediate shaft bearing is gonna cause my car to BLOW up, NO, I want to walk around with that big cheesy grin on my face too and feel so damn happy that my car really is well built and there are just a couple of big dollar items, the timing belt/water pump and clutch replacements, otherwise it's just keeping everything maintained almost like any other Acura - so I ask you just like you guys told me, what's not to like about that.

I feel like I've made it, well almost, to the promise land. I can see the clouds parting and that happy ray of sunshine starting to beam down on me and music playing, yes the vision is almost complete! I now know what I must do - buy one! I'm convinced and finally starting to be excited and looking forward to being really happy and knowing I can actually afford to own the car cause the maintenance isn't just gonna kill me.

Thanks guys, thanks to all of you and I hope to hear more from you as time goes on. I hope to meet some of you around Atlanta too. I found out where some of the guys here in town go to round up and I'm going to the next one just to hang and talk about these cars with their owners.

It's going to be a whole lotta fun and I can get my clubs in the trunk- yes, life is good. Thanks again. Keep writing I am surely enjoying all this.

Tim
Atlanta

Last edited:
golf clubs in the trunk? you can get two sets in the trunk without having to take an oversize driver out of the bag, like for an M3. Of course if you go on a trip, there is not lots of room for clothes and sportsjacket but fine especially if you go Commando! played Atlanta Country Club last november, very nice!

Now that you've decided which way to go, make sure to tell us what you find, and post some pictures! :smile:

I found this thread entertaining and there's lots of good information for prospective buyers here on Prime, but like any NSX vs thread, it will always be pro-NSX, which it should be here.

That said, 996s, although maybe not have the quintessential 911 headlight shape are far from ugly, unreliable or sluggish. The comments about Rennlisters only discussing maintenance is a massive exaggeration. Truthfully, it isn't much different than what we see here on Prime.

Part of what stopped my purchase of a 02+ NSX was the fact that it's still a car, although ahead of its time, that was designed in the 1980s. Not to say, a well sorted NSX is not a superb performer, but technology moved on, and as many have lamented here on Prime, the NSX didn't evolve substantially.

One last point, Porsche may not be the same air-cooled company it once was, but Honda now sells nearly as many trucks and minivans as cars, and no longer produces viable sports cars. Times are changing!

Sometimes we have to respond to posts, and that's all I'm doing here. I'm still a massive NSX fan, and always will be. The NSX fanatacism here on Prime lives on strong, and sometimes objectivity is lost. Believe me, if I didn't love NSXs I wouldn't plan events for the NSX clubs in Canada and the US. They are a great sports car!

I was sort of interested in getting the 02+ 996 and thought it was a nice looking car for the money.

I've read some posts from different P cars forums and there are vase different opinions between the air and water cooled owners like reliability, quality, values & maintenance cost etc...

What is the % of failure on the RMS & IMS issues? Are these something you can check out in the PPI?

Now that you've decided which way to go, make sure to tell us what you find, and post some pictures! :smile:

I found this thread entertaining and there's lots of good information for prospective buyers here on Prime, but like any NSX vs thread, it will always be pro-NSX, which it should be here.

That said, 996s, although maybe not have the quintessential 911 headlight shape are far from ugly, unreliable or sluggish. The comments about Rennlisters only discussing maintenance is a massive exaggeration. Truthfully, it isn't much different than what we see here on Prime.

Part of what stopped my purchase of a 02+ NSX was the fact that it's still a car, although ahead of its time, that was designed in the 1980s. Not to say, a well sorted NSX is not a superb performer, but technology moved on, and as many have lamented here on Prime, the NSX didn't evolve substantially.

One last point, Porsche may not be the same air-cooled company it once was, but Honda now sells nearly as many trucks and minivans as cars, and no longer produces viable sports cars. Times are changing!

Sometimes we have to respond to posts, and that's all I'm doing here. I'm still a massive NSX fan, and always will be. The NSX fanatacism here on Prime lives on strong, and sometimes objectivity is lost. Believe me, if I didn't love NSXs I wouldn't plan events for the NSX clubs in Canada and the US. They are a great sports car!

And your stock 996 GT3 will run circles around stock NSX's - in acceleration, braking and driving feel. I'm the VP of the local Porsche Club and also have a supercharged NSX and I would trade it straight across for a GT3 any day. I agree 100% with your post. Naturally on an NSX forum there will be a bias towards the NSX.

Last edited:
I was sort of interested in getting the 02+ 996 and thought it was a nice looking car for the money.

I've read some posts from different P cars forums and there are vase different opinions between the air and water cooled owners like reliability, quality, values & maintenance cost etc...

What is the % of failure on the RMS & IMS issues? Are these something you can check out in the PPI?

Ya, the air cooled, hard core P-car purists will argue until their death that Porsche lost their way by introducing water cooled radiators. I always think of how Dr. Porsche answered this question: "What is the greatest Porsche of all time?" Dr. P. "The next one.".

RMS is an issue on some 996s. It's analogous to the snap ring issue, or window thingies on NSXs. Factory part flaw, once fixed, it's fixed for good (generally). Not all the 996s have the issue, but if the previous owner dealt with it, you should be good to go.

They can both be checked on PPI. I had my brother go over my car before purchase (he's a BMW tech) and spotted what may have been a very small RMS leak. He mentioned it to the owner, took it to the dealer and it was replaced under warranty. The dealer said the oil may not have been coming from there but why chance it when warranty will cover it.

There are crazy deals out there on 996s now. Definitely a buyer's market, with huge selection. Get a well maintained, lower mileage car, just like when you shop for an NSX get educated about the car- you are your best resource!

Hi Guys,

I've been a member of the renn list for 6 years at least and it's now got another name [email protected], and while it may be an exageration that their main topic is about how to fix things, it's not that far off. The predominance on this particular list I mention is about fixing many different things on the guys Porsches but Porsche covers many, many more years than the small amount of NSX production so it's not an accurate comparison, I'll admit that. Some of it is about Porsches triumphs in racing and their heritage, right now there has been some talk about the Ruf cars. But at least half of the basic conversation is about buying one and fixing them cause there are a lot of guys with old ones on the list and many in the garrage, not so unlike here with some having more than one NSX and other cars as well as even some 911s.

Sure a GT3 might just run rings around an NSX, but then it also costs about 2 times as much. Question isn't so much about GT3s or GT2s or even TTs, cause like I've said before that's a different engine base and more or less hand built but that's also a very small percentage of their production. Their basic line is built by robotics predominantly. Like many other car manufactures these days, but not the NSX. In years gone by Porsche was very much a handbuilt car too, but not now. One asked how many suffer the RMS or IMS failure. Well they're are surely different opinions on that from shops and owners on lists that are sampling a very small percentage of the market and they may say 5 to 10%. Bruce Anderson, writer for Excellence mag and a great mechanic in his own right might say as much as 20% and some in that same mag have said 50%. The numbers from Porsche are kept secret, unpublished and that's maybe to be expected if it's high and they surely in the early stages of the 996 production had more engine failures then than now and many or some may say most were the Boxsters. But the RMS issue has plagued the entire run of 996s and even some 997s (how many 997s? don't know) but the IMS issue is more hidden it's about two different types of bearings- single row bearings and double row bearings and both have failed - is it the case reinforcement around the bearing, maybe, or the bearing itself and early on the it was the double row bearings which actually were better bearings than the later single row. Truth is no one really knows exactly how many or what percentage it is. Porsche isn't saying but they've replaced many a block with another engine cause it's cheaper than rebuilding them.

It also seems that most of those failure were early ones and Boxsters pre 2000, but they've happened to others since. The RMS issue has mostly gone away with the 3.6 engine, but that was late in the 996 run but not the IMS. Just get to some of the website forums on maintenance and repair of Porsches and you'll see some that are devoted totally to trying to get a read from people writing in that have had the problems - it's not just one or two guys, it's a bunch. Some have had 3 engines replaced. Some have had 3 RMS replaced many multiple replacements at least on this tiny cross section but it's enough to make you wonder about the cars in general. Some say and maybe so, that the 997s after 06 were mainly fixed with the IMS. There have been some RMS issues even in the 997 though. Is it solved or isn't it? Heck the 996 series ran from basically 1997 to 2004 or 7 years and they didn't solve it. Did they stand behind their product like Honda did for 10 years fixing snap rings - uhmmmm, NO.

Yeah some of the really loyal customers that have long dealer history got their problems supported by PNA but not the guys that just came in and bought a used one with no history out or warranty, which is only 4 years. Porsche doesn't even offer an extended warranty - wonder why?

Point of this is - does it make you sleep better at night when you're the guy that just bought one and you have no dealer history and no warranty- I wouldn't think so. Are they building Porsches more cheaply now, well yes they are. They are not the rock solid guys of the air coolers and even the 993 had it's issues and they never really fixed at the factory - the SAI, or secondary air injection port in the heads get clogged with carbon- some early, like mine at 23k. Is it valve guides as some suggest or is it driving habits and other suggest or a combination of things like the pump wasn't strong enough to keep the port clean or what? If it hits you with the CHeck Engine Light (CEL), then you can't pass emissions (OBII models all but the first year) if you fix it like your supposed to you pull the engine and replace the guides and get the ports machined - oh, that's only about 7K and that's ok isn't it? Or if your engine blows due to the IMS it's just a replacement for 13k - isn't that ok? Or maybe just the RMS - that's just 900 or so, that's ok isn't it? I don't know, that doesn't sound the least bit like a timing belt every 105k or 7 years for about 1700. How bout a clutch for the NSX that's a biggy but check the clutch in a 911 about the same unless you have AWD and then it's more. Now an NSX clutch can last a long time if driven correctly - say around 100k. Try to get that life span out of your 911. Or how bout just simple pads - not so simple on the new 911s unless you have PCCBs which last 250k and only cost 9 or 10k as an option but if you don't have them well you replace your rotors at the same interval as the pads - hows that. Oh, and how bout in the 964 with that dual distributer before they figured out that ozone deteriorated the belts or your belt breaks that goes between the dual distributers for the 2 plugs per cylinder, well some can and there is a fix for it, but take it to the dealer and they don't bother with that fixing business they replace it for 1000 bucks. No problem right.

Then how bout the interior in a 996 or 986 - is it rock solid like the old dash was in the 993 and earlier models - uhmmm- no its cheap and plasticy. The later 996s around 2002 were better and the 997 is way better but man its not quality like the old stuff - not by a long shot. I knew something was up when I got in a 2001 996 and shut the door - no more Chink it's like a thump - like many other cars. I'm talking about the regular models build quality. It no longer compares to that one plant in Japan that put out a whopping 25 cars a day built by hand like their rock solid motors, ohhh no. It's different. The GT3 water coolers are a great car and I'd love one too, but check the prices - not for mere mortals.

The reason there are such great deals on 996s today is not only cause there were many more produced it's because they don't hold up like they used too. Now there are guys out there with 996s that have gone over 100k and only replaced the RMS once - I know one. That's supposed to be awesome? How bout comparing that to the early 3.2 which was just talked about in Excellence where there was one that had gone almost 400k without ever having any major engine work done. The tranny died and the guy sold off the engine and the buyers broke it open and it was still spec - now try that with a 996 or 997; although that may not be fair cause they haven't quite been around for 20 years yet, but they no longer fix em - they replace them, can anyone say "disposable". Point is Porsche doesn't make em like thy used to and I'm not talking about the TT, GT3 and 2, they're different - I'm talking about the regular production cars. Complare the regular production C2s and C4s to the NSX and see how they stack up. That's the comparison not to the GT3 and GT2 or TT, cause NSX didn't make one to match that for racing. Oh and why did that guy here super charge his instead of just buying a GT3- was it less expensive and did he like it? I bet he liked it a lot!

I'm just looking for a car that has great build quality, great longevity that is a modern car and the NSX is. The post 97s are even more powerful, have a 6 speed tranny and perform up to the standards of the 3.4 water coolers and the 3.6 air coolers. So, that's plenty fast enough for me. My old 993 was plenty fast enough for me and I'd say most folks unless your a track guy and most can't afford that - can they? I just want a car that I don't have to worry about breaking in a very expensive manner and NSX fits that bill. I want an engine that will go 350k miles. I am not worried about the snap ring which as I understand it NSX stood behind and fixed for 10 years and got em all didn't they? The window thingy - man Porsche just wishes that was all they had to worry about.

I don't mean to just bash Porsche here as I know there are surely loyal Porsche and NSX guys out there that are happy with their Porsches. And more power to them. I just don't want to be counted among the casualties of the IMS issue. If I could afford a new 911 would I buy it, well time has shown that anyone buying the first gen of a new Porsche engine is a guinea pig. I don't want to be one. NOt the older guys so much, the SC was a great long lived engine and so was the 3.2 but those cars don't have enough power like the 993 does or the NSX with 290 hp in the post 97 models and I can't count them as having modern speed. So where to go for another hand built car? Isn't NSX the only one that has the long lived reputation for being a great built car with no major defects?

I think it is. That's why I'm buying an NSX. That's why I've lost confidence in Porsche. I'll qualify that - in my price range - the NSX offers the biggest safety factor for a great performing sports car out there for sale today. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I'm just glad there is an NSX, cause I can't afford a Ford GT, you know the 150k Ford GT. Ford's tribute to America and by the way it's a really great one. Now lets see, I think I'd put that up against the GT3 and which one would ya'll take?

Anyway, I don't want to end this on a sour note, the Porsche still is a great car, does it last like an NSX maybe not, but it's still a great car. Yes the new standard model will run over the NSX. Ok, but that's not the only thing NSX is about. They'll come back with the new one one day. They've surely tested it at the Nurburgring. We'll see and then we'll have a good comparo for the GT3 I suspect. How bout ya'll?

So they're all good. The NSX fits my personal pocket book, but there are surely a whole lot of others that can afford a new Porsche and I think they're great cars, I just can't afford one. I can afford a nice NSX and I will find one and I'll take pictures and post them. The search is on, I'm excited about finding one. It's going to be a fun journey and really that's at least half the fun isn't it. The hunt! I'm in!

All the best guys,
Tim

Sorry swbatte, I knew I was going to ruffle a few feathers with my commets about the 996. Please don't take it personally. If I was buying a GT3 as a dedicated track car then I would definetly buy a 996GT3. I agree - Honda/Acura is not the same company it was under Soichiro. The fact that they aren't class leaders in ANY vehicle line except Oddysey is pathetic. Heck - the only racing series they dominate is IRL. There isn't a single new Honda/Acura out there that I really wish to buy.

couple of points:
1. Regarding RMS - I hate to admit but even my GT3 has a slight RMS leak. I took it to the dealer and they said it is b/c I am not driving it often enough or hard enough:confused:. I asked him what about all the canucks who don't drive their car for 5+ months. Do they have bigger leaks?:confused:

2. Performanc wise - my GT3 will absolutely destroy a stock, or modded NSX(except the turbo NSX's). However, I felt that the OP was looking for an overall driving experience. He was looking for a well balanced car. That is the NSX's strong point.

3. Tim - good luck with your search. BTW, I was at a NSX meet in Houston this morning and there were 3 NSX's with over 150K miles on them.:eek:

Lot's to read there. The fact remains that stock for stock the new Porsche's outperform the older ones. The new PDK transmission is amazing. Everyone should try one just once because it's like having a race driver shift for you and his name is Schumacher. I can understand why you are upset at Porsche but quite frankly they are making cars that make money. Back in the air cooled days they almost went broke. That is the primary reason that I doubt Acura will produce a new NSX. They can't charge enough to make it pay. Take a look as the sales numbers of the last few years the NSX was produced and you will see what I mean. I wonder how much Nissan is making on the new GTR. I suspect it's not much or that it is their loss leader.

As for interior quality the NSX isn't the top of the heap either. The dashes crack, the consoles and door inserts peel and the interior styling was never a high point with most auto journalists.

As for my car, it was supercharged when I bought it. Years ago I test drove a stock NA1 and was bored to tears. It made plenty of noise but the acceleration was meager compared to cars today. My slightly modified 951 felt quicker, handled as well and braked better than the NSX I test drove. That is not saying that the NSX was a bad car just that I couldn't justify spending the $40k canadian on one to get similar performance that I was getting from my 951. At that point I made up my mind if I was going to get one it had to be force inducted. I've always loved the look of the NSX and for me it's a classic beauty in the pop up headlight form - not a big fan of the projector lights, sorry guys.

My CTSC NSX has decent acceleration but I think it would take a Lovefab kit to make it the performance car I want it to be. It does cost less to maintain than either my 951 or 968 Turbo though so on that aspect we can agree. Give the 996 GT3's a few more years and they will be priced the same as the last generation of NSX's. I know which car I would buy at that point.

Last edited:
I will mention to the guy that is looking for the Porsche now to stay away from C2 or C4 996 models due to the RMS (rear main seal) and IMS (intermediate shaft bearing failure potential - catastrophic engine failure) as you never know if it will happen to you! really "dog" the car. The view out the front is something I must experience as so many of you have said the same thing - it's awesome.

Tim
Atlanta, GA

I have a 2002 911 C4S with 62k miles and never had RMS or IMS.

RMS & IMS appear on low mileage 1999-2001 (3.4H engine) The 3.6H engine 2002 + is safe.

The p-cars that are effect by RMS or IMS are low mileage cars. P-cars like any car are made to be driven not sit in a garage.

That being said, I love the NSX as well and hope to one day own both.

Good luck in your search

Diehard Porsche guy here. Have had 1980 911sc Targa, 1984 Carrera coupe, 1985 Cab, and currently a 1989 Cab. I have driven 993, 996 and a few others. Parking next to the Porsche, there are my two NSXs, a 1994 coupe and a 2001 coupe. IMO, the most beautiful 911s are the 3.2 Carreras/930s. The 964 is trash. The 993 is interesting. The 996s are just repulsive, unreliable and cheap looking. The 997 are beautiful and fast. Real Porsche guys are car guys. One will owe a big one to oneself if he has not owned an NSX. The NSX is an awesome car which earned all its respect by substances, not by cache. Driving a NSX makes you a better and faster driver. Take that from THIS Porsche guy. I have had 4 NSXs so far and am still enjoying them daily. There is no way that a 993 is as fast as a 1997+ NSX. Not the handling or the acceleration can match the NA2 NSX. You can ALWAYS buy a nice Porsche for cheap down the road. They are just a dime a dozen. But for a nice NSX, it will be hard to find a good one down the road since the numbers are so limited. Buy one now and experience the once best sports car in the world.
Steve

Last edited:
Once again Guys I appreciate everyone here taking the time to write and be so kind to a newbie. I especially enjoyed the last post here from the die hard Porsche guy. He's sure right about Porsche guys being car guys! I know I'm sure one of them as is eveyone here on the site.

I would like to ask a question of you guys here that peaked my interest from another forum post here about oil pressure and temps? Apparently a guy was monitoring his oil pressure and temp while tracking and noticed low levels of pressue and higher temps and was wondering about oil coolers and special Acura sump oil pans with bafflers in them. So now I'm wondering if there are any issues with just spirited driving that affect oil pressure and temp. Is this something anyone would normally need to be concerned about? Coming from 911s I sure understand issues concering oil temp; lots of guys install auxillary oil coolers with older 911s. Porsche also does a lot about keeping oil in the right places during cornering heavy. The newest engine has 4 pumps I believe to take care of both sides of the engine whether turning left all day or right all day depending on the track cause apparently they are either left hand biased or right hand biased.

Hopefully you'll all say that there is nothing to worry about and these engines go foreve! But I'd just like to know if there is something to be aware of on this note.

Thanks again to everyone,
Tim
In search of.....

Back