Civic is the same as an NSX!

So I went to the Honda dealer, b.c the car NSX i'm getting needs the timing belt replaced. I asked if by chance they had an NSX certified mechanic on staff, which they said they did. I then asked him if he could do the belt? He says... "uhh... NSX, right, that's the same car as the Civic, yah I can do that, no problem!" I told them I'd be going elsewhere...

At the acura dealership, they said yes, we can do it, just $1595. I mentioned that was kinda pricy.... their reply "Hey, we're the only game in town."

So now I'm in search of a reputable indy mechanic.... :(

The first place was probably thinking "RSX" not "NSX", hence the Civic reference. I'd still not go there.

As far as your quote from the dealer - that's not too far off and is in the ballpark for timing belt + water pump replacement.

mickeylex said:
As far as your quote from the dealer - that's not too far off and is in the ballpark for timing belt + water pump replacement.

This is correct. I have asked around, and $1,600 is a pretty good deal for that job. See if they'll throw in another PM service for you as well with no additional labor (just parts cost), and you will be getting as good a deal as can be expected.

By all means, do look into an independent. My only concern would be could the indep. mechanic warranty the work if something were to go wrong and your engine bites the dust? JMO. Good luck, and enjoy that RSX...oops, I mean NSX. Same thing...:wink: :biggrin:

Chuck

theman1990 said:
So I went to the Honda dealer, b.c the car NSX i'm getting needs the timing belt replaced. I asked if by chance they had an NSX certified mechanic on staff, which they said they did. I then asked him if he could do the belt? He says... "uhh... NSX, right, that's the same car as the Civic, yah I can do that, no problem!" I told them I'd be going elsewhere...

At the acura dealership, they said yes, we can do it, just $1595. I mentioned that was kinda pricy.... their reply "Hey, we're the only game in town."

Ouch!.... you should pm some TX owners on here....

try Osiris_x11 ... he's not in San Antonio, but maybe he can be of help.. he's quite resourceful

Good Luck

*~Mermi~* :smile:

edit: Reading the responses, eeks! I got my belt+water pump+some leaky valves/gaskets replaced = less than $1300
*regardless, I'd be weary of a mechanic who believed the NSX to be the same as the Civic.

The typical price for a timing belt/water pump replacement by a dealer is anywhere from $1300 to $1600. $1600 isn't unusual.

I would only have this job done by a mechanic who has already done it many times.

You may want to consider getting all the cooling system hoses replaced at the same time. It's good preventive maintenance.

Listen to Ken he is the O.G. up in here. ;)

to Ken

I used Gunn once when an NSX technician who was highly recommended, Augie, was still there and was very disappointed with that dealership. However, Augie's long gone and am not sure how experienced the other mechanics are with the NSX. While an experienced mechanic is a must, there are other things too: I was so let down with everyone at all levels at Gunn, I would not take my car there if even if they are "the only game in town".

Several people have reported good results at Arrowwood Automotive. I've never take my car there, but that might an option worth looking into. Good luck.

Last edited:
I've actually had good experiences with Gunn, but they are stealership expensive. I called a local shop that was supposed to have an NSX mechanic too, they wouldn't even consider installing an aftermarket clutch... Someone also recommended the Austin dealership, which is not too far from here..Any experience with them, Ojas?

When I lived in San Antonio, I had my NSX tuned by the guys at HnA Automotive. They service Honda and Acuras mainly (90% of their work) and the guy who owns the store used to work at Gunn Acura as a master mechanic before setting up his own shop. If you go to Gunn, ask for Hector Saucedo at parts, if you're an NSXCA member, you'll get 25% off parts.
HnA Automotive is located in Leon Springs off of Bandera/Rt. 16. Awesome guys, they take care of atleast 3 other NSXes and Scott's a reliable and good all around guy.
Good luck.

Max

wow..........$1600.......thats a deal....local dealership here in jersey wanted $2200.....f-in thieves

theman1990 said:

Honestly after doing a lot of routine maintenence on my 91 I can tell you the parts are almost identicle to the 1994-2001 Acura Integra. Even the valve covers look like the 1994 Acura Integra LS. You also have to remember that your dealing with 1980s/1990s technology with any NSX. Very easy to work on (except for the major parts but thats with any car) and parts are similiar to the 1990s Integras but be that as it may its no Civic by any means. :smile:
What kills and makes the NSX parts and labor so much is the labor. Many dealerships and Acura/Honda shops charge a lot for the labor on the NSX since it does take a lot of time on some items but if you can do it yourself, its like working on an S2000, 350z, M3, M6,etc..
This is my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Back