Cars that hold their value best

believe it or not, I sold my 99 vette C5 two years after I bought it brand new with 35k miles on it for $600 less than I paid for it.

I got handed my a$$ when I sold my 2000 CLK 430. Couldn't even find a buyer and eventually sold it to a dealer at wholesale. :confused:

jlindy said:
believe it or not, I sold my 99 vette C5 two years after I bought it brand new with 35k miles on it for $600 less than I paid for it.

I got handed my a$$ when I sold my 2000 CLK 430. Couldn't even find a buyer and eventually sold it to a dealer at wholesale. :confused:

Did you buy the Vette New?

I just bought a brand new Murano and hated it. I traded it in and received 2k more than I paid for it after putting 10k miles on the Murano in 2 months. I would say I got a VERY good deal.

This is not uncommon for me I have done this with several cars, albeit used ones, this is the first time I have done this with a new car. I have also come out ahead on two boats after using them for a summer. One boat I sold and made enough over the price I paid in the spring that it paid for the docking fees and all the gas I used. I still had 3k left in profit above what I paid, after expenses.

I kept my NSX for 3 years and sold it for almost the same price as I paid 3 years ago

jlindy said:
len3.8 said:
Did you buy the Vette New?
geek.gif

steveny said:
It came from the factory with 35k miles on it?:confused:
I think he meant to say that he bought it brand new, then sold it two years later with 35k miles on the odometer, for $600 less than what he originially paid for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can only speak about used cars, I never bought new (and probably never will!):

my 1994 Renault Clio was used for two years and it lost only 20% of the value... not bad for a beater!

The red totaled NSX was sold to the insurance as wreck for 90% of what I paid for 15 months/15k miles before! :p ;)

PHOEN$X said:
I think he meant to say that he bought it brand new, then sold it two years later with 35k miles on the odometer, for $600 less than what he originially paid for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry to be unclear, but that is exactly what I meant. I bought it brand new and sold it with 35k miles.:)

PHOEN$X said:

Is that a retard smiley?

Seeing that my logic didn't quite translate, correct me if I am wrong.
Kindly refer to Steveny's post, It explains my question.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Obviously, they excluded Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. Seems like Ferrari's retain their value extremely well as a rule.

jlindy said:

Ouch, I know the feeling. I once purchased a 92 automatic NSX, after less than 1200 miles the transmssion was gone just like the seller.

$5000 later i was back on the road to the poor house!:eek:

1998 Corvette Convertible - bought with 10k miles on it for $32,500 in Jan 2002, sold with 17k miles on it in Oct 2002 for $34,000.

Lost $$ on trade-ins of 2003 TL-S and 2003 G35 coupe.

1976 Fiat Spider - bought for $550, ragged the absolute crap out of it for a few years in high school, sold it at auction for $500. The best automotive $50 I ever spent.

Old Subaru DL hatchback - no a/c (in Texas!) - bought from my parents for $500, drove through college, sold it for $200 while my wife stayed in the car giving it gas so it wouldn't stall out as I finalized the deal. $200! I spent more on my daughter's Power Wheels Barbie jeep!

I am the master of buy high, sell low when it comes to cars....pisses my wife off to no end.

:p

New 93 Rx-7 R1 for $26k. Wrecked (not my fault) for about $12k in damage. Got $1k for loss of resale value from insurance and sold it with 19.5k miles for $24.5k. Loss of $500.

Got a 96 4-Runner (new model) out for one week for $1k over invoice for $31.5k. Sold it 9 months later for $30.5k.

My buddy wanted a 4-Runner then so he went to the same saleswoman I got mine. He was trading in a Dodge Dakoyta and asked "how much do I need to put down to get my payment less than $500 a month". Needless to say he payed much more than I did and mine had leather, security and high end stereo. He let someone drive it and with 200 miles on it they hit another car. He traded it in a year later and took a $18k loss.

Bought a Tundra last year for $1.5k under invoice and $2k cash back. I will be selling it in about 6 months and expect to do fine.

NSX-Stalker

In 2002 I Purchased a 92 Silver/ black NSX in NC for $25500. Drove it back to Sacramento and sold it in a week for $33500.:)

1994 Honda Accord - Bought new, wife drove it 5 years, and lost 30% or in absolute dollars about $6K.

jlindy said:

I just sold my NSX a week ago:( and am looking for a sporty four seater as a replacement for the NSX and my 2000 Accord V6 daily driver. The CLK 430 is on the top of my list - 2000 / 2001 model. When you say that you lost your a$$, would you mind sharing with me how many miles, cab or coupe, options, and sales price. I am struggling between either a 430 coupe or a 320 cab - seems to be about the same price. I woulld love to find a 430 cab with less than 50K miles for around $30 but I'm probably dreaming. Any suggestions and/or input on the CLK is greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me on this.

I had a CLK 430 coupe, silver with 24k miles on it when I sold it in 2002. It had all the usual options like leather sunroof, memory seats, rain sensing windshield wipers, electronic rear shade, etc. When I bought it, they weren't discounting them at all as they were on a 6 month waiting list and since I did so well on the vette (car right before it), I figured it would hold its value since it was a hot car to have at the time. I paid around 52k for it and when I sold it, I had to wholesale it for 39k.

I really loved that car. It was the nicest one I have ever owned and a lot of zip too.

jlindy said:
I had a CLK 430 coupe, silver with 24k miles on it when I sold it in 2002. It had all the usual options like leather sunroof, memory seats, rain sensing windshield wipers, electronic rear shade, etc. When I bought it, they weren't discounting them at all as they were on a 6 month waiting list and since I did so well on the vette (car right before it), I figured it would hold its value since it was a hot car to have at the time. I paid around 52k for it and when I sold it, I had to wholesale it for 39k.

I really loved that car. It was the nicest one I have ever owned and a lot of zip too.

Thanks so much. Sounds like I need to shift to a 430 coupe to ge the power. Looks like I can find a 2001 CLK 430 with 35-40K miles for around $30-32 now.

ISONSX said:
Thanks so much. Sounds like I need to shift to a 430 coupe to ge the power. Looks like I can find a 2001 CLK 430 with 35-40K miles for around $30-32 now.

Yeah big difference. 275 HP and 0 to 60 in 6.1 vs 215 HP and 0 to 60 in 7.1.

Also, I like the looks of the 1999-2001 CLK much better than the new ones. They look like an Acura CL to me. (not that it is a bad thing, but for 50+k, it should look better)

Last edited:
Back