Car guys love the NSX ?

I meant to say that 5 out of 4 people have problems with math.

My math is abject enough to afford my lifestyle. Of course I might have Mr. Gump's dumb luck.......

You may have his dumb luck, but you lack his tact or charm.

:tongue:

To paraphrase a line from Senator Bentsen, 1988 VP candidate:

Batman, I served with Forest Gump, I knew Forest Gump, Forest Gump was a friend of mine. You sir, are no Forest Gump.

You may have his dumb luck, but you lack his tact or charm.

:tongue:

To paraphrase a line from Senator Bentsen, 1988 VP candidate:

Batman, I served with Forest Gump, I knew Forest Gump, Forest Gump was a friend of mine. You sir, are no Forest Gump.

I must have dumb luck or am a different person in real life vs. online.

And I rather be BATMAN than Forest gump anyday.......

batman.gif

BACK TO TOPIC:wink:

As much as I love my NSX - I wish it dynoed at 300 RWHP and 240 lb/ft of TQ. I know I know everybody says that but I just feel that a bit more HP/TQ would make the car less anemic? Sorry....I love my NSX and don't really want to get rid of it but I LOVE my GT3 and do want to get a F430 or LP560(someday...) so most likely the NSX will have to go.

I was in Dallas this week to test drive cars. I drove a 360, 430, and Gallardo. Funny thing was all 3 sales guys, when I told them I had an 05 NSX, were like "man thats a great car". And they were being sincere. Almost makes me want to keep the thing forever!

What cars did the 3 sales guys own and drive? Just curious what Ferrari sales affords one to drive. My take on that statement is with kids, mortgage and budget the NSX represents an affordable drivers experience that is almost impossible to beat. Power, handling or reliable, choose two.

I've got a single cylinder 500cc motorcycle; wire wheels, single carb, and an embarsingly simple and unsophisticated suspension. It puts down a whoping 26 whp. On the long straights the young guys with their 140 whp multi cylinder rockets go flying away, but traffic, towns or twisties always keep them in reach. Sure, they can pull wheelies in all 6 gears, sub 10 sec 1/4's, but why are they always selling and trading what they have for the next latest greatest?

In the twisties, those 140 whp missles all but stop dead mid corner. The little thumper, with 26 whp, comes thumping along. The ole inside out line; swing arm bushings, single action forks and skinny, tubed touring tires, single piston thump, thump, thumping just glides by. When the corner ends and the road straightens out again, the little thumper quickly gets reeled in and passed like it is going backwards, but only a very few rocket pilots have a derisive thing to say about the little single cylinder.

I've got a Subaru Sti and my morning freeway ramp is often clear of any traffic. This last summer a brand new Roush 500 was in front of me on the morning run. It was a bit cold and a little damp; the little right left transition before a lipped bridge loomed. The Mustang stopped dead mid transition, tip toed up the bridge transition and coasted across the cold bridge. Once all that corner and slippery, technical driving stuff was sagely dealt with the beast emerged. Flames shot out, Flames! Wheelspin, supercharger whine, un catted exhaust roared, while leaping uphill, straight uphill the driver piloted this beast; his foot firmly all the way to the floor. Roaring!

500 is bigger than 300 and the rolling drag straight up the hill to the freeway was undebatable. I wonder had there been enough room for that inside out thumper move, whether the mustang driver would have appreciated the precision of someone making due with 300. The fulfillment of using all the available power precisely through the corner and the bridge transition, across the bridge and up the hill; yet, 500 just straight up the hill proved.... that 500 is bigger than 300.

Watching the Senna video of that lap in the NSX, the frame in frame of the pedals to me is an insight into genius that all "Car Guys Love". Sure, I know a couple GTO owners that yawn or stop watching after 5 seconds. Then boldly claim they could have beaten him for pinks with their GTO's, but isn't that the same as realing in a 26whp single once the corner is done?

What cars did the 3 sales guys own and drive? Just curious what Ferrari sales affords one to drive. My take on that statement is with kids, mortgage and budget the NSX represents an affordable drivers experience that is almost impossible to beat. Power, handling or reliable, choose two.

I've got a single cylinder 500cc motorcycle; wire wheels, single carb, and an embarsingly simple and unsophisticated suspension. It puts down a whoping 26 whp. On the long straights the young guys with their 140 whp multi cylinder rockets go flying away, but traffic, towns or twisties always keep them in reach. Sure, they can pull wheelies in all 6 gears, sub 10 sec 1/4's, but why are they always selling and trading what they have for the next latest greatest?

In the twisties, those 140 whp missles all but stop dead mid corner. The little thumper, with 26 whp, comes thumping along. The ole inside out line; swing arm bushings, single action forks and skinny, tubed touring tires, single piston thump, thump, thumping just glides by. When the corner ends and the road straightens out again, the little thumper quickly gets reeled in and passed like it is going backwards, but only a very few rocket pilots have a derisive thing to say about the little single cylinder.

I've got a Subaru Sti and my morning freeway ramp is often clear of any traffic. This last summer a brand new Roush 500 was in front of me on the morning run. It was a bit cold and a little damp; the little right left transition before a lipped bridge loomed. The Mustang stopped dead mid transition, tip toed up the bridge transition and coasted across the cold bridge. Once all that corner and slippery, technical driving stuff was sagely dealt with the beast emerged. Flames shot out, Flames! Wheelspin, supercharger whine, un catted exhaust roared, while leaping uphill, straight uphill the driver piloted this beast; his foot firmly all the way to the floor. Roaring!

500 is bigger than 300 and the rolling drag straight up the hill to the freeway was undebatable. I wonder had there been enough room for that inside out thumper move, whether the mustang driver would have appreciated the precision of someone making due with 300. The fulfillment of using all the available power precisely through the corner and the bridge transition, across the bridge and up the hill; yet, 500 just straight up the hill proved.... that 500 is bigger than 300.

Watching the Senna video of that lap in the NSX, the frame in frame of the pedals to me is an insight into genius that all "Car Guys Love". Sure, I know a couple GTO owners that yawn or stop watching after 5 seconds. Then boldly claim they could have beaten him for pinks with their GTO's, but isn't that the same as realing in a 26whp single once the corner is done?

+2 great post. Now I wanna know what this little thumper is? See I remember the real thumpers - BSA single cylinder 500s, Triumphs - Daytona and Bonneville - had both and those guys for all their idiosyncracies were really tossable. Although I find it hard to believe they'd stack up to the Ducatti 1098 in any way shape or form. So please explain this.

The overiding issue I get; completely agree. There is no other affordable both in long term maintenance or buy in that offers the level of performance that our NSXs have that I know of - but then I have never driven a Subaru STI.....so how do the used ones stack up to our beloved NSXs??? I'm not sure I understand the comparo there?

Thumpers are great! I used to race them. Had an xt500, sr500 and an srx600 punched out to 620cc's with a 13:1 Cosworth piston, Muzzy top end and titanium exhaust. CR33 smoothbore carbs with velocity stacks handled the intake. Ohlins shocks and reworked stock forks handled the bumps. Miss that bike.

I can't contribute much on topic as I'm still looking and not yet owning. The car has a bunch going for it though. No real big care and feeding problems like most of the exotic have, maintanance issues that can be resolved at the dealer down the street rather than the boutique shop way to hell and gone, etc.

All that said though it's aesthetics and handling that caught my attention years back.

...and for you thumper fans, a pic from my garage. Street legal for the most part:

119585859_twKqd-M.jpg

I can't contribute much on topic as I'm still looking and not yet owning. The car has a bunch going for it though. No real big care and feeding problems like most of the exotic have, maintanance issues that can be resolved at the dealer down the street rather than the boutique shop way to hell and gone, etc.

All that said though it's aesthetics and handling that caught my attention years back.

...and for you thumper fans, a pic from my garage. Street legal for the most part:

119585859_twKqd-M.jpg

Cool thumper. You know a lot of people just don't know how much fun scrambling is on a motor cycle. Surely ranks way up there in exhileration - kind of like skiing - down hill that is. I love both activities just don't do em anymore. Sad to say. Lately I've been watching the HD channel - "Twist the Throttle" - anyone watching that - just a GREAT show - they've done 3 episodes I've caught - Ducatti, BMW, Kawazaki,.....don't know what's next but I am starting to get the itch for a bike - but I'd probably hurt myself. That's why I sold my last one - started scaring me- looking down at that big ole sanding belt you know. I've hit the pavement several times. It's not a matter of if it's a matter of when ...right! I'm older now; not quite as crazy. Still love em though.

+2 great post. Now I wanna know what this little thumper is? See I remember the real thumpers - BSA single cylinder 500s, Triumphs - Daytona and Bonneville - had both and those guys for all their idiosyncracies were really tossable. Although I find it hard to believe they'd stack up to the Ducatti 1098 in any way shape or form. So please explain this.

The overiding issue I get; completely agree. There is no other affordable both in long term maintenance or buy in that offers the level of performance that our NSXs have that I know of - but then I have never driven a Subaru STI.....so how do the used ones stack up to our beloved NSXs??? I'm not sure I understand the comparo there?

Well, sticking close to the honda fold, it's a 1989 GB500. Completely stock, all flaming 26 whp through all 5 gears. It is utterly out gunned and out classed in any measurable category you choose to compare. Skinny tires, with tubes, big monster factory chain (original) and sprockets, just a simple 2 wheeled crowd pleaser. It's the sleeved down xr600 motor, 10k rpm of counter balanced thumper goodness.

The advantage it does have: You can use all 26whp all the time. In fact you have to row the gear box like you are a gp racer, while carefully shifting your weight and managing the bikes weight transfer to conserve every last ounce of momentum. The problem is, the riders with bigger ego's and wallets. They won't spend $300 for a track day, because they have to buy a new $1200 set of leathers. Yet, when we ride they are the ones who blast down the straights at tripple digit speeds, masterfully shocking little blue haired ladies on their way to church (sunday rides).

So, as we transition into the curvy sections of our rides, where technique counts for everything, even the 1098's seem to lose 130 whp. Even wide open and stamping on the shifter like I've got ants on my toes, I'm just barely 10 mph over any given speed limit. It's great! Ride the beejesus out of that little 500 and never worry about anything but the road. While the 20 grand exotics are tiptoeing around the corners waiting to cane the throttle when the road straightens, I'm tootling along in the zone. Smoothly down shifting, barely touching the brakes, settling the chassis and rolling back into the throttle going into the corner, snick the next gear just after the apex and off I go with little to no loss of momentum.

I realy think that most of the people I was riding with were missing out on 70% of the enjoyment of the ride, while they were exposing themselves to 100% of all the possible downsides. Sure the bikes are beautiful, sound exotic and are more powerfull than any gp bike out of the 70's, but I have lost the enjoyment of doubling the freeway speedlimit as I redline in 2nd gear. Those 4 seconds of shrieking through the rpms are so short lived when the red and blue victory lights proclaim you the winner.

So, just like the ultra exotic 2, 3 and 4 cylinder super rockets.. the guy with the Roush came to a complete stop in the technical sections, killed all my momentum and then proudly blasted up the hill of the on ramp. Cool guy realy, talked to him twice now, but he summed it up quiet well when I asked him about that day. "Too cold on those tires and too much power, dampness on the bridge, no way am I putting 50 grand into the barrier to start out my day."

Although he understood the situation perfectly well, "no way was I gonna stay with you, if you were in front of me; I doubt I would have caught you before the end of the on ramp." The Sti is useable, but vague. It does what you want with out vice, yet it just sort of mumbles at you. The Nsx is wonderfull in this sense, you have a perfectly coherent conversation going the whole time you are driving. It's like hanging out with an old close friend, with a few words you know what each other are thinking about, clear as day. No silly surprises or practical jokes a thoroughly enjoyable day just spending time with each other. You've known each other for years and the trust is explicit.

My other bike analogy I often use with my bike friends is exploring the difference between riding a honda Rc30 (1990) and a Cbr900rr (1992). The Rc30 is a scalpel and the 900rr is a butcher knife. The Nsx is a scalpel, the Sti is a butcher knife. You can explore the road with precision while driving the Nsx, how small do you want to carve each slice? You are limited in the way you cut your slices with the Sti; it still cuts, but you just can't get those ultra thin slices, no matter how hard you try.

Back