Car guys love the NSX ?

I was in Dallas this week to test drive cars. I drove a 360, 430, and Gallardo. Funny thing was all 3 sales guys, when I told them I had an 05 NSX, were like "man thats a great car". And they were being sincere. Almost makes me want to keep the thing forever!

Keep it, then get a 360 CS .... that's the reality, the NSX is such well balanced car that lacking HP is not that important.

Oscar

Keep it, then get a 360 CS .... that's the reality, the NSX is such well balanced car that lacking HP is not that important.

Oscar

Oscar I couldn't agree with you more. This lack of power thing is highly subjective. I am very comfortable with the speed of my car. I am even more content after riding in Eiffel's.

I finally got a chance to ride in a 91 with a Comptech SC on it and Zanardi suspension set up. Great suspension by the way! The SC was F'ing UNREAL! I mean I was absolutely not prepared for that! It was so fast that we ran out of road quickly! That is a race track car! Or a drag racer for winning titles on Pinks. Damn that was amazing. I was slammed into the seat! It was quite a thrill.

It was enough to tell me one thing - I'm not ready for that in my car cause; 1. I don't want to die just yet; and 2. I don't need any more of a ticket machine than I have. An SC is waaaay to much for me. It takes speed to another level, I mean!!!! I did enjoy that ride though!:biggrin:

Oscar I couldn't agree with you more. This lack of power thing is highly subjective. I am very comfortable with the speed of my car. I am even more content after riding in Eiffel's.

I finally got a chance to ride in a 91 with a Comptech SC on it and Zanardi suspension set up. Great suspension by the way! The SC was F'ing UNREAL! I mean I was absolutely not prepared for that! It was so fast that we ran out of road quickly! That is a race track car! Or a drag racer for winning titles on Pinks. Damn that was amazing. I was slammed into the seat! It was quite a thrill.

It was enough to tell me one thing - I'm not ready for that in my car cause; 1. I don't want to die just yet; and 2. I don't need any more of a ticket machine than I have. An SC is waaaay to much for me. It takes speed to another level, I mean!!!! I did enjoy that ride though!:biggrin:
Funny, because I keep checking out Laminova intercooler setups, thinking I could do with another 40 whp or so. You'd be shocked just how fast you get used to the extra power... and then want more. Weekend trips to the Tail of the Dragon don't help, either.

The 430 for sure but for $40k less the Gallardo is one heck of a machine....

I hear it is a great car but most of the people I know who have owned one say that it lacks a soul ...... Yes thats what they said :eek:

By the way its a Challenge Stradale .... not a 360 CS or a 360 Challenge Stradale.

Now imagine being used to driving a car that had similar power that a Supercharged NSX has. Then after reading all the magazine articles and dreaming for years of owning an NSX you finally get the chance to drive a stock normally aspirated example. How disappointed do you think you would be? I for one wouldn't own a stock powered NSX as getting dusted off by new minivans and sport utilities would make me think I made the wrong choice. I still love how the NSX looks and drives but I really question Honda's thinking in not stuffing a V10 from their race program into the chassis.

I for one wouldn't own a stock powered NSX as getting dusted off by new minivans and sport utilities would make me think I made the wrong choice.

Which minivans and Sport Yutes are "dusting" the NSX? I have an '06 Odyssey EX-L R&N...with the 3.5L V6 , 244HP, 240TQ and it doesn't pull 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. More like 8.0 seconds. Let's not talk handling because it doesn't come close to handling like the NSX.

Now, there are plenty of new $25-35K GT cars that will "dust" the NSX (think Mustang, Camaro, Z cars, etc)....but I didn't buy the NSX to go out street racing with it all the time. If I had wanted raw power I would have bought the Z06 I looked at when I bought the NSX as it was $10K less and had only 10K miles on it (okay, 11K miles) and 135 more HP, 190 more TQ and pulls over 1.0g on the skidpad. However, there was more than JUST the performance that was a draw to me for the NSX. I knew what the NSX was (and wasn't) when I bought. But those are just MY feelings and priorities and I'm sure there are many, many other people who would have chosen the Z06 FOR the extra power/performance and reduced price. That's what's great, there are cars for everyone's tastes. For those that want the NSX style but the added power there are aftermarket SC and Turbo options.

Funny, because I keep checking out Laminova intercooler setups, thinking I could do with another 40 whp or so. You'd be shocked just how fast you get used to the extra power... and then want more. Weekend trips to the Tail of the Dragon don't help, either.

Yup, speed's an addiction! Just like any drug, the more you have, the more you need! "Speed costs money... How fast do you want to go?" :biggrin:

I've found that every "car guy" I've run into loves the NSX. Example: I had an older gentleman in a blue Ferrari 612 Scaglietti pull up to me this summer and chatted me up. He kept going on about how amazing the NSX was, that he never sees them anywhere, and how he couldn't believe mine was a 91. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there thinking "dude, you've got a 612 Scaglietti...your brake rotors probably cost more than my NSX..." But he didn't care- he loved the car. He even asked me how much the 2002+ were going for. When I tried to compliment the piece of art he was driving he just snorted and called it "soft" and "not a driver's car." He said he was thinking about getting rid of it and picking up a "real" car like the NSX...said he was gonna call his "guy" and look into a 2002+. Then he peeled off with a smile and a thumbs up.

I've found that a lot of people, especially here on the internet, enagage in what I call "stat racing" or "magazine racing." They focus on power numbers and "stats" to dictate their decisions and opinions about cars. Many of them have never even driven the cars about which they have such strong opinions. In the stats game, the NSX always comes up looking like crap. You can buy 4-door sedans these days that have more power. But, people who actually own and/or drive the NSX have a much different opinion. As a car enthusiast, I believe that a car is a lot more than horsepower and torque numbers, which is why I could care less about those stats. I believe you really have to drive a car to get a true understanding of its personality. That 612 driver's car was by every measurable "stat" leaps and bounds "better" than my NSX (even in my own mind), yet he called my old 91 NSX the real driver's car. Something to think about...

I was in Dallas this week to test drive cars. I drove a 360, 430, and Gallardo. Funny thing was all 3 sales guys, when I told them I had an 05 NSX, were like "man thats a great car". And they were being sincere. Almost makes me want to keep the thing forever!

Man, you're there with a mission of purchasing a 430 or Gallardo......They will be as sincere to you as they can, even you tell them your daily driver is a scooter....

Imagine your new Lamborghini in the garage side-by-side with your NSX!! I say keep it! That's a garage any of us would dream to have!

That 612 driver's car was by every measurable "stat" leaps and bounds "better" than my NSX (even in my own mind), yet he called my old 91 NSX the real driver's car. Something to think about...

I hear you, and there are a lot of posts around here about how NSX is a better "driver's car". However, stats of a car is entirely measurable, and stats of a car tell us just about exactly how well a car can perform. "Driver's car" is not measurable. If I call a BMW 135i a pure "driver's car"(and some do), I can sit here and argue with someone who challenge that for a long long time; that argument may never end. Personally, I don't think any Ferrari, Porsche, or Lambos is any less of a "driver's car" than a NSX. IMHO, the 612 guy was simply being nice. If he really thinks his 612 is soft and drive like a "non-driver's car", he would not spent 300k for it and still be in it. He can spent just 15% of that 612 and get a 91 NSX, if he does love it so much. And if a 612 owner wants a NSX, he can pick up one with the cost of a suit or Rolex in his wardrobe. Any Ferrari new car owner could have easily keep a NSX with their F-car, if they want; but they don't. Something to think about?

This is interesting because I think in some ways the reliability of the NSX prevents it from getting the same supercar status that other makes enjoy.

Somehow an exotic with 150,000 miles on it can't be an exotic. This very well could be the NSX's achilles heal when it comes to a true collectible. Funny, the NSX's best attribute is also its biggest downfall.

I also wonder why even older cars (1960's Ferrari's/Jaguar's) that have even slower 0-60 times aren't bashed like the NSX is. Perhaps the "vintage" of these cars is what prevents that.

I think I'll be keeping my NSX after the compliments I got the past few weeks from Ferrari, MB Black, gallardo, GTR, and even folks on the side walk snapping their heads.

And now with the SOS Water cooled Supercharger solution it takes the NSX to the power to weight ratio between the regular C6 and C6 Z06.

Toss in the stroker kit and bam the NSX is at the heels of the LP640.....

Somehow an exotic with 150,000 miles on it can't be an exotic. This very well could be the NSX's achilles heal when it comes to a true collectible. Funny, the NSX's best attribute is also its biggest downfall.

Completely untrue. A well-preserved, low-millage, rare-spawn NSX is easily a true collectible. A mint-condition NA2 Type-R goes for a "higher than original MSRP" price in Japan. A mint-condition Type-S Zero goes for even higher, and you can't even find one. However, a Type-S Zero with 128,000km is still a very desirable car and is definitely a true collectible. The mileage may effect the price some, but it doesn't not change the fact of being a collectible item.

I read about a McLaren F1 GTR with a quiet high mileage sold for over a million a while back. A McLaren F1 GTR was an exotic when brand new; it is still an exotic today, regardless how many miles it has. People don't consider a NSX with 150,000 miles an exotic because it wasn't one to begin with. Reliability has nothing to do with it.

Oscar

I disagree.

And like Tim said, that is purely subjective.

My wish list with the NSX was a flatter power band that I had experience in other cars that I have owned and own.

It's more usable since one doesn't have to "wind-up" the car as if it were powered by a rubber band.

Have you driven cars with silly amounts of TQ and a flat power band?

If so, please list them.

I hear you, and there are a lot of posts around here about how NSX is a better "driver's car". However, stats of a car is entirely measurable, and stats of a car tell us just about exactly how well a car can perform. "Driver's car" is not measurable. If I call a BMW 135i a pure "driver's car"(and some do), I can sit here and argue with someone who challenge that for a long long time; that argument may never end. Personally, I don't think any Ferrari, Porsche, or Lambos is any less of a "driver's car" than a NSX. IMHO, the 612 guy was simply being nice. If he really thinks his 612 is soft and drive like a "non-driver's car", he would not spent 300k for it and still be in it. He can spent just 15% of that 612 and get a 91 NSX, if he does love it so much. And if a 612 owner wants a NSX, he can pick up one with the cost of a suit or Rolex in his wardrobe. Any Ferrari new car owner could have easily keep a NSX with their F-car, if they want; but they don't. Something to think about?

Yeah, I think the 612 guy was more referring to his 2+2 GT cruiser being a less pure sports car than my 2 seater mid-engine. He seemed dissapointed with the 612. For people like that, I don't think it's about the money. They can have whatever they want, and this guy seemed to be more excited about 2002+ NSX's than his 612 Ferrari. :) He's probably driving one right now...or two...

Anyway, my point was that he was a "car guy" and, despite having the resources to have any car he wants, he liked the NSX.

Last edited:
Have you driven cars with silly amounts of TQ and a flat power band?

If so, please list them.

Have driven only 2 cars with more power/better weight ratio than my NSX

• Evo with 450 whp (drove HARD, no idea about TQ but LOVED IT, it was a bit faster than my NSX)
• LP640, i didn't drive hard, but it was an insane monster car!
• California, refused to drive so I didn't ruin my NSX experience -as I thought, now I regret b/c maybe it could make me appreciate my car a bit more- and since i didn't care about the California, I passed a test drive.

I believe -based on what other more powerful car owners tell me- that the NSX perhaps needs some extra HP, but is not that important since is such well balanced car, my best to 60 is 4.8 and I believe I can take mine on the 1/4 in 13 flat, IMO that is fast considering that I drive my car on the streets and that we have like 150-200 HP less than the current trend of high HP cars, yet, I think that the strong on the NSX is not the straight line but how it handles, the whole EXPERIENCE, more like having sex with love with your hot/cute gf, than a "night stand" with COCO (Ice-t's gf) LOL.

You need to get rid of your problematic NSX, get a 3.2, reduce weight and SC it :) .... I am sure you would like better, when I tested NSX's B4 got into mine, I drove 2 Na1's .. and they were a bit faster than my S2000, yet the one I have was a LOT faster ... that can't be a coincidence.

oscar

Anyway, my point was that he was a "car guy" and, despite having the resources to have any car he wants, he liked the NSX.

Yeah, and on top of that, I might add that NSX is far better looking than the 612. But that's just me. :D

Have driven only 2 cars with more power/better weight ratio than my NSX

• Evo with 450 whp (drove HARD, no idea about TQ but LOVED IT, it was a bit faster than my NSX)
• LP640, i didn't drive hard, but it was an insane monster car!
• California, refused to drive so I didn't ruin my NSX experience -as I thought, now I regret b/c maybe it could make me appreciate my car a bit more- and since i didn't care about the California, I passed a test drive.

I believe -based on what other more powerful car owners tell me- that the NSX perhaps needs some extra HP, but is not that important since is such well balanced car, my best to 60 is 4.8 and I believe I can take mine on the 1/4 in 13 flat, IMO that is fast considering that I drive my car on the streets and that we have like 150-200 HP less than the current trend of high HP cars, yet, I think that the strong on the NSX is not the straight line but how it handles, the whole EXPERIENCE, more like having sex with love with your hot/cute gf, than a "night stand" with COCO (Ice-t's gf) LOL.

You need to get rid of your problematic NSX, get a 3.2, reduce weight and SC it :) .... I am sure you would like better, when I tested NSX's B4 got into mine, I drove 2 Na1's .. and they were a bit faster than my S2000, yet the one I have was a LOT faster ... that can't be a coincidence.

oscar

If u think a 450rwhp car is a "bit faster" than ur NSX, then there is something wrong. 450rwhp car is almost double the HP of a NSX.

For the NSX it break 5 secs on 0-60 and hit 13 flat u have to abuse it.

Man, you're there with a mission of purchasing a 430 or Gallardo......They will be as sincere to you as they can, even you tell them your daily driver is a scooter....

Imagine your new Lamborghini in the garage side-by-side with your NSX!! I say keep it! That's a garage any of us would dream to have!

Harsh reality, but very true.

My wish list with the NSX was a flatter power band that I had experience in other cars that I have owned and own.

i am pretty sure you meant to wish for a flat torque band, not power band. a flat power band is about the WORST thing you could ever hope for your engine :)

that said, the NSX torque band is pretty flat. pretty low, but flatter than most.

Back