C6 Corvette review of the interior and steering - Car and Driver

And the Corvette seats, in a word, stink. They offer zero lateral support, so even though the driver can lock into place with the seatbelt, he or she winds up bracing a leg against the door and tranny tunnel. The seats feel flimsy, too, and the leather is so slippery the driver is constantly sliding into an inadvertent slouch.

While we’re in bitch mode, the variable-assist steering system could also use some work. On the track, the effort is fine, but on the road it feels artificially heavy and won’t win any prizes for being communicative

I posted that to show how great the interior a 91 NSX over a 2006 C6

NSX7 said:
And the Corvette seats, in a word, stink. They offer zero lateral support, so even though the driver can lock into place with the seatbelt, he or she winds up bracing a leg against the door and tranny tunnel. The seats feel flimsy, too, and the leather is so slippery the driver is constantly sliding into an inadvertent slouch.

While we’re in bitch mode, the variable-assist steering system could also use some work. On the track, the effort is fine, but on the road it feels artificially heavy and won’t win any prizes for being communicative

Seats do not make an interior. A paltry $2,000 can purchase a set of Recaros that will put the NSX seats to shame, especially on the track.

However, it will take A LOT more than $2,000 to bring a 91 NSX's performance on par with a new C6 Corvette.

NSX7 said:

And my Viper seats are comfier and offer better bolster support (adjustable bladders) than the NSX. Comparing vehicles is one thing, but I have a feeling you just want to bash the C6. Insecurities perhaps?

And regarding the steering...I got the exact same complaint regarding my '91..."On the track, the effort is fine, but on the road it feels HEAVY..." Why? No power steering, that's why.

Spinner said:
And my Viper seats are comfier and offer better bolster support (adjustable bladders) than the NSX. Comparing vehicles is one thing, but I have a feeling you just want to bash the C6. Insecurities perhaps?

And regarding the steering...I got the exact same complaint regarding my '91..."On the track, the effort is fine, but on the road it feels HEAVY..." Why? No power steering, that's why.

Spinner,

I agree with you completely. It's funny to see how people try to pick one flaw in a competitor and declare the NSX superior.

NSX7 said:

The only think you proved is the NSX has better seats. Not the whole interior. Most of us here know how great the NSX seats are.

NetViper said:
The only think you proved is the NSX has better seats. Not the whole interior. Most of us here know how great the NSX seats are.

I agree the NSX has amazing OEM seats. It's not too often that you have seats that offer lots of lateral support up to your shoulders, but at the same time are comfortable for long drives.

In regards to the Corvettes past and present, the OEM seats are pathetic. I drove a buddy's C6 Z06 and was very dissapointed in the seats. That car had amazing cornering ability, but the seats had me hugging the door in the corners.

AMGsRock said:
I agree the NSX has amazing OEM seats. It's not too often that you have seats that offer lots of lateral support up to your shoulders, but at the same time are comfortable for long drives.

That was excactly my point

I just wanted to brag about the NSX seats and how comfortable they are over many newer sports cars - I didn't pick the corvette in particular to bash - I simply came across a review that contained the corvette (by chance - that's all)

Where the NSX really has the world beat, and I really mean EVERYONE in the world, is the power antenna.

I think what happened is that other makers just couldnt match its perfection, so they gave up and retreated to funky new high tech jobbies that are not nearly as noticeable (to hide their inferiority no doubt).

NSX wins again!

Spinner said:

All I can say is "grow up" - Insecurities about better seats in the NSX !!!! please stop and think before you write - I was not trying to bash the C6 nor will I ever do that - every car has the good and bad - I was simply proud of a 1991 NSX seats - that's all - besides it was not me that said that, it was the Car and Driver editor

Don't worry - next time I come across a review that states the Viper seats stink, I will make sure to post it - just for you

NSX7 said:
AMGsRock said:

That was excactly my point

I just wanted to brag about the NSX seats and how comfortable they are over many newer sports cars - I didn't pick the corvette in particular to bash - I simply came across a review that contained the corvette (by chance - that's all)

My comment was on the statement that the interior of NSX is much better than a new C6, but Car and Driver's complaint was only targeting the unsupportive seats, not the whole interior.

The new C6's interior is actually pretty decent, especially if you compare it to the C5, which is crap.

NSX7 said:
Spinner said:

All I can say is "grow up" - Insecurities about better seats in the NSX !!!! please stop and think before you write - I was not trying to bash the C6 nor will I ever do that - every car has the good and bad - I was simply proud of a 1991 NSX seats - that's all - besides it was not me that said that, it was the Car and Driver editor

Don't worry - next time I come across a review that states the Viper seats stink, I will make sure to post it - just for you

I still don't know why you posted that. You could have easily said "I find the NSX seats to be far superior to the C6" Instead, you found a quote that bashes the C6 seats (for clarification, I don't own nor intend on owning a C6) and the quote has nothing to do with the NSX.

You could have found an article regarding how bad the Viper's, Supra's, Miata's, Gallardo's seats and my reaction would be the same.

I fail to see how quoting an article stating how bad a particular car's seats are automaticaly means the NSX's are better.

AMGsRock said:
NSX7 said:
My comment was on the statement that the interior of NSX is much better than a new C6, but Car and Driver's complaint was only targeting the unsupportive seats, not the whole interior.

The new C6's interior is actually pretty decent, especially if you compare it to the C5, which is crap.

granted - I should have stated seats instead of interior - the interior is actually taste - I personally like the 91 NSX interior over the C6 - I like it because I think it is a nice blend between classic and modern - and the centre console is the most amazing I have seen in any car - but again that's my opinion and taste and I am sure lots of people will disagree

Spinner said:
NSX7 said:
I still don't know why you posted that. You could have easily said "I find the NSX seats to be far superior to the C6" Instead, you found a quote that bashes the C6 seats (for clarification, I don't own nor intend on owning a C6) and the quote has nothing to do with the NSX.

You could have found an article regarding how bad the Viper's, Supra's, Miata's, Gallardo's seats and my reaction would be the same.

I fail to see how quoting an article stating how bad a particular car's seats are automaticaly means the NSX's are better.

I quoted that article because I am very very proud of the engineering that went behind the NSX (even the seats) - and contrary to your view which I respect, to me, that quote had everything to do with the NSX because again it shows how the engineering of 2006 in a very respectable performance car like the C6 missed something like designing seats that will hold drivers in place during hard cornering which to me is an important aspect in sports cars

There are other articles that bashed gear boxes in other sports cars, again I would still post that to show how amazing the NSX gear box is compared to some very respectable sports cars of today - for example the E46 M3

There is lots more to say about the NSX - but that's enough for now

NSX7 said:
Spinner said:
I quoted that article because I am very very proud of the engineering that went behind the NSX (even the seats) - and contrary to your view which I respect, to me, that quote had everything to do with the NSX because again it shows how the engineering of 2006 in a very respectable performance car like the C6 missed something like designing seats that will hold drivers in place during hard cornering which to me is an important aspect in sports cars

There are other articles that bashed gear boxes in other sports cars, again I would still post that to show how amazing the NSX gear box is compared to some very respectable sports cars of today - for example the E46 M3

There is lots more to say about the NSX - but that's enough for now

We are all proud of our cars. I don't think there is a need for a negative campaign against any other cars, though. I whole heartedly agree that the NSX seats are far comfier than the C6 and hold me down much more.

If you were to bash the other cars it will only be fair to post negative articles on the NSX too, but that's beating a dead horse (lack of HP, 15 years old and still on sale and etc.)

All I'm trying to say is that there is no need to put other cars down in order to make the NSX seem like a better sports car.

AMGsRock said:
Seats do not make an interior. A paltry $2,000 can purchase a set of Recaros that will put the NSX seats to shame, especially on the track.

However, it will take A LOT more than $2,000 to bring a 91 NSX's performance on par with a new C6 Corvette.

I disagree!!!!

The support of the seats in the NSX is top notch!!!

The cost to buy a 91 plus $50 grand worth of mods, will easily out perform the new Z06, and still cost less!!!!:biggrin:

All jokes aside. First impression is very thing. If you blind fold a person, put him in a Z06 and the NSX, let them play with the clutch/gearbox, check out the seat support, roomyness. What do you thing the answer will be?

Vancehu said:
I disagree!!!!

The support of the seats in the NSX is top notch!!!

The cost to buy a 91 plus $50 grand worth of mods, will easily out perform the new Z06, and still cost less!!!!:biggrin:

All jokes aside. First impression is very thing. If you blind fold a person, put him in a Z06 and the NSX, let them play with the clutch/gearbox, check out the seat support, roomyness. What do you thing the answer will be?

My comment of relpacing the seats with Recaros was for the C6 Corvette, not the NSX.

There is no doubt the NSX has a better gearbox and seats than the Corvette, but I think the NSX feels much more cramped, especially in the headroom department, especially in the passenger seat.

What do you think the answer will be after they start the engines and open the throttles (no blindfold of course)?

I've driven a few C6's and for better or worse, it's a vette all the way.
The interior has nice electronic toys but that creaky sound that hard plastic panels make is still there. I don't really feel it is a improvement over the interior of the C5. It has changed, something Chevy always has done to new models but it's still the same creaky, hard plastic salad that looks like it will wilt as fast as the last 4 generations of Corvette interiors have.
The car is fast but still has a floating feeling and to me is lumbering unless you are stuffing your foot into it. Yes, then it goes fast like a bastard but most of the time driving is not spent pedal to the metal. When you are just driving it around, not punching it, the car feels, sounds and handles like the C5 and the C4.
I have not driven a C6 Z06 but have a friend who has one. Looks like a really nice package that seems to be quite a different car than the standard C6.

In my opinion, the NSX and Corvette are so different that comparisons are almost silly. Two different flavors of car performance.

The NSX compares well to a Porsche, Ferrari 348-355 sports cars and the Vette compares well to a Viper, Mustang, Camaro, or the newer muscle cars.

The Vette to a Porsche driving experience is so different just as the Vette to NSX is so different.

As for raw power, driving the car at half or three quarters is where most of your driving is and not in the manner that takes to achieve the stats in a car magazine road test.

I've owned many previous generation vettes and may own another someday but not the C6. I'd rather have a 71' LT1.

There , that's my ramble.

Spinner said:

That's not my observation. When I bought my NSX, one of the first things I noticed was how much nicer the seats were than my Gen II Viper. The Viper seats were not as supportive nor as comfortable. In the NSX I can lounge back for a 300 mile drive or throw it around corners, where as with the Viper I couldn't wait to get out after 50 miles.

Probably depends on your bodysize and tastes of what you look for in a seat. I (6'5" 270lbs) won't like the same racing seat that someone else (lets say 5'9" 145lbs) will like, and vice versa.

I do think the C6 interior is a joke, but it's all a matter of taste and how important an interior is to you. Some people would be perfectly happy with no interior at all because it saves weight. Engine & wheels is all they need.

Personally I'm an Audi/AstonMartin type of person, meaning I need the whole package; meaning I'm not a vette guy. But some people are - rock on :)

I think the NSX has a much nicer shifter knob and a prettier dash. So there! :)
(And my roof panel has never involuntary ejected itself into the atmosphere either.)

Hugh said:
(And my roof panel has never involuntary ejected itself into the atmosphere either.)

Now that was very strange and made me question GM's quality. I am surprised that GM did not affix the roof panel more securely onto the magnesium roof. The guys on the C6 forums dismiss this as no big deal. I guess the thought of a roof panel hitting the car behind you and possibly causing an accident is no big deal. Very weird.

Back