Buy an NSX, or Supercharge my S2k?

I keep going back and forth on this one. I'm sooo interested in getting an NSX. I just have the typical fears of buying a used high performance car & I'm really not sure which model year NSX I should be looking at.

Having said that, I love my S and thinking about a Comptech SC. I'm afraid if I make this move (buy an NSX) I'll regret it. I guess I'm looking for some encouragement from some of you guys.

Help!! :confused:

Have you ever driven a NSX? If not, give it a try and I think you will really enjoy it.

As for the SC for the S2000. From what I recall, it doesn't really help Low-end TQ, which is where the S2000 is really weak. I don't think it would really add all that much fun to the car -- especially in daily driving around town.

I have the same concerns on buying a used NSX.

I want an 02 but it really isn't worth more than an 97-01 just to get the newer nose ( which I personally love ).

I say supercharge the S2K ( Like I'm going to do ) and just keep saving money to get an NSX. Have the best of hondas worlds.

They are pretty different in how they go about performance so it's not really a good idea to make a comparison.

Simons2k said:
I keep going back and forth on this one. I'm sooo interested in getting an NSX. I just have the typical fears of buying a used high performance car & I'm really not sure which model year NSX I should be looking at.

the answer to this question depend on your budget and personal preference. for example, if your budget is around $32K than you would be aiming for early model 91-94. if you love the targa feature you would be looking for 95-present. if you want more HP than 97-present. sorry for the long example, hope this help. :D check FAQ regarding market value and maintenance cost on NSX.

If you've never driven NSX and having problem finding one, pm me if you are around my area. I am in Temple City, California.

Of course you should get a NSX. ;)
If you spend the money to get the S2K SCed, you still got yourself a S2K.
If you buy the NSX, then you got yourself a NSX. Wow, the NSX!!!!?????
It's not too hard.
Steve

Well I don't think your in a rush, so go ahead take your time and start doing research on the NSX, what model you can afford etc. One thing is for sure is to test drive one. You'll see the stock for stock NSX outperforms a s2k anyday. But a SC'd s2k would still be up there. Be aware that buying one isn't the hard part, its maintenece costs that can get expensive. Even more so if you got the mod bug.

Start with test-driving the NSX.
Everything else is on hold until you do this.

If you get the S2K SC'd, you'll always regret that you didn't at least give the NSX a fair chance.

Or you could keep your S and send your engine to Larry Widmer. http://www.theoldone.com
He is just about done with a N/A buildup of the S2000 motor. He states it will have over 400 hp at the flywheel. :eek:

I asked him if he had done or would consider doing any work on the NSX engine. He told me that he's spread so thin with other projects that he would not have time to start getting involved with that engine.

Just look at what he's done recently with the H22A engine for a customer of his recently.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1011635

H22 Specs:

Stroke 90.7mm
Bore 89.0mm
Head Endyn
Rods Crower/Endyn Lightweight
Pistons Endyn Roller-Wave 12.9-1
Valvetrain Endyn
Camshafts Endyn Bump-Stix
Bearings Honda
Oil Pump Endyn Modded Honda
Oil Pan Endyn Baffled Moroso
Head Gasket Cometic HP
Fasteners ARP
Header Hy-Tech / Endyn Custom

Note that the dyno is a Mustang Dyno

WingZ said:
I say supercharge the S2K ( Like I'm going to do ) and just keep saving money to get an NSX.
I disagree. If you're going to spend thousands of dollars to supercharge the S2K, it should be because (a) that's what you want to do with the car, and (b) you plan to keep owning it for the foreseeable future. If you spend money on modding it and then sell it right away, you will never recoup most of that money, and you won't spend all that much time enjoying it, either - not a good investment.

I agree with those who say you should try driving the NSX before deciding.

Hmmm,,,, I had the same dilemma 2 yrs. ago. A little different car(95 Avus Blue M3 cpe) should I supercharge it or buy a NSX? The dream car I always wanted ever since I drove one back in 93'. Well I came to the conclusion that no matter what I do to the M3, it is still just an M3. (Don't get me wrong, it is still a great car) But the NSX, it is the perfect sports car. Nothing compares to it. It is the whole package. I know I can make the M3 faster, quicker, and handle better. but it still is just a M3. (and dime a dozen). But a stock and well maintained NSX is just awsome right out of the box. Any customizing you choose to do is just icing on the cake. You should definitely drive a well maintained NSX and compare, like most other people suggested. Once you taste the "NSX" there is no going back. :D :D :D

nsxtasy said:
I disagree. If you're going to spend thousands of dollars to supercharge the S2K, it should be because (a) that's what you want to do with the car, and (b) you plan to keep owning it for the foreseeable future. If you spend money on modding it and then sell it right away, you will never recoup most of that money, and you won't spend all that much time enjoying it, either - not a good investment.

I agree with those who say you should try driving the NSX before deciding.

I don't see what you diagree with then.I told him he should keep the s2k not supercharge it and then get rid of it. Keep saving for the Nsx and enjoy both.I've seen posts from people on this board who sold their NSX got an S2K and enjoyed it and some didn't. Of course we always seem to disagree on this subject. LOL

NSXTASY IS A DIE HARD NSX FAN!

WingZ said:
I don't see what you diagree with then.I told him he should keep the s2k not supercharge it and then get rid of it. Keep saving for the Nsx and enjoy both.
Oh. It sounded like you were telling him to keep saving for the NSX, implying that he would get rid of the S2K when he bought the NSX. You didn't say that, but that's what it sounded like.

WingZ said:
NSXTASY IS A DIE HARD NSX FAN!
I think most of us are, or we wouldn't be here. But my post implied that he should keep the S2K (and not worry about the NSX) if he's going to supercharge it.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've never test drove an NSX. I guess that ought to be my first step.

The dream set-up would be to keep both but I doubt the wife would support that idea.

I've done a little homework and it seems that I should try to find a '93 and up. Since then all the little bugs have been worked out, based on my findings.

Simons2k said:
I've done a little homework and it seems that I should try to find a '93 and up. Since then all the little bugs have been worked out, based on my findings.
I disagree; I think the '91-92 are equally worth considering. The only common "little bugs" are the window regulators, for which the problem is preventable with the one-hour installation of a $16 part, and the snap ring transmission issue, which doesn't even affect 80 percent of the '91 cars (and IMO the snap ring cars are still worth considering, as long as you negotiate a slightly lower price to account for the possibility of a snap ring repair).

Excluding the '91-92 cars means that you are ruling out half of the NSXs on the road - and the vast majority of the lower-priced ones.

White92 said:
Or you could keep your S and send your engine to Larry Widmer. http://www.theoldone.com
He is just about done with a N/A buildup of the S2000 motor. He states it will have over 400 hp at the flywheel. :eek:

I asked him if he had done or would consider doing any work on the NSX engine. He told me that he's spread so thin with other projects that he would not have time to start getting involved with that engine.

Just look at what he's done recently with the H22A engine for a customer of his recently.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1011635

H22 Specs:

Stroke 90.7mm
Bore 89.0mm
Head Endyn
Rods Crower/Endyn Lightweight
Pistons Endyn Roller-Wave 12.9-1
Valvetrain Endyn
Camshafts Endyn Bump-Stix
Bearings Honda
Oil Pump Endyn Modded Honda
Oil Pan Endyn Baffled Moroso
Head Gasket Cometic HP
Fasteners ARP
Header Hy-Tech / Endyn Custom

Note that the dyno is a Mustang Dyno

Holy chit, 290 WHP for that all-motor is nice.

290 WHP on the H22 engine is unheard of. As long as that engine has been out, nobody has done anything like that. The only one that's come close is JUN and there's is about 270. I talked to Larry this morning. He has a duplicate engine that will be put on the dyno in about a week to prove this is legit. Did you see the torque curve on the dyno sheet? It's pretty much flat! The customer who bought that has the engine in his daily driver. He picked up his car when it was done and drove it home 750 miles.

I sold my Comptech SC S2000 in August. I went back to the NSX (had a 91 a 2 years back) I enjoy the overall driving experience and a bit of the exclusivity that comes with driving a NSX over the S2000. I reccommend buying a 95+, so you have the open air driving you are accustom to with the S2K. Then down the line you can look at FI for it.

I'd love to get a '97+ but I'm afraid the cost of a later model NSX would make it out of my budget.

My range is right around 35k. Is it impossible to find a 93-95 in that $$ range?

You can find a very good condition, low milage 91-94 for $35k if you shop around.

Drive an NSX, don't do yourself the disservice of making this decision without driving one.

Back