Brake pads/brake line recommendations

Hey guys,

Time for new pads all around.

• I have a 98'nsx-t 6spd
  • Used for spirited runs and track use
  • Running 17' wheel set up wrapped with Yokohama S.drives

What pads do you recommend?

Considering Hawk HP+ and Carbotech Panther Plus3

Also considering, upgrading to stainless steal brake lines.

Worth it? recommendations?

Should I also use aftermarket brake fluid if I replace brake lines?

Any help, suggestions, recommendations is greatly appreciated!

thanks!

What pads do you recommend?

Carbotech Bobcats. Great bite and NO dust.

Also considering, upgrading to stainless steal brake lines.

Worth it? recommendations?

Absolutely! Go with these.

Motul RBF 660 brake fluid is the way to go but the job won't be complete without a set of Speed Bleeder SB10125s.

Don't bother listening to anyone else. I've forgotten more about the NSX than they'll ever know. :)

Last edited:
My experience with Hawks is that they dust up pretty seriously and they need to come up to temperature to function effectively. I have just installed a set of Project Mu pads on a friend's NSX and they seem to perform very well.

As far as brake lines go, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the stock lines. But the stainless lines look really cool.

Please describe "Track Use" What skill level driver are you? How many track days do you have?

Regards,
LarryB

Motul RBF 660 brake fluid is the way to go but the job won't be complete without a set of Speed Bleeder SB10125s.

Don't bother listening to anyone else. I've forgotten more about the NSX than they'll ever know. :)

thank you for your reply. I appreciate the link also. pretty cool link too

what exactly is/are the speed bleeders?

Last edited:
My experience with Hawks is that they dust up pretty seriously and they need to come up to temperature to function effectively. I have just installed a set of Project Mu pads on a friend's NSX and they seem to perform very well.

As far as brake lines go, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the stock lines. But the stainless lines look really cool.

thanks,

I have never heard of trouble with OEM lines either. Just figured since wanted to update brakes may consider updating lines also.

I just installed the Hawk hp plus pads and they did fantastic at the track the other day!! I also put super blue fluid in the brake and clutch. They do dust the wheels though.

hope that helps,
Blaine

My personal opinion after 5 gazillion track days with the NSX. The HP+ suck on the track. Fine for autocross, won't cut it at the track. Plus, they wore out REAL quick at the track - they just couldn't take the heat.

Get track pads for the track and street pads for the street. Takes less than an hour to change all four.

FWIW: I am currently running Carbotech XP10/8s and run them to and from the track - 180 miles each way. Plus, I have left them on in between weekends and occasionally run local errands and they are fine even cold (summer temps 60-80F). No squeal (I mean none) - plenty of dust.

BTW: Get the Motul 600 or ATE Blue fluid, unless you have extra cash to piss away for the Motul 660. I have never boiled fluid in the NSX with either of the former two - so the 660 isn't necessary.

Last edited:
Please describe "Track Use" What skill level driver are you? How many track days do you have?

Regards,
LarryB

Hey Larry - the #1 problem I see with novice and intermediate drivers on the track is over braking. I think aggressive novices are MUCH harder on brakes than advanced drivers. I can run cool down laps with minimal braking faster than a novice who is threshold braking believing he is fast because he braked at the last second.

Last edited:
Hey Larry - the #1 problem I see with novice and intermediate drivers on the track is over braking. I think aggressive novices are MUCH harder on brakes than advanced drivers.

I agree, and this is why I asked the question:). I am not so sure Carbotech Bobcats are a good choice.

I know the last time I had experience with the Bobcats was at Sebring for NSXPO2006. As a last resort, I installed these for an experienced driver(he was out of other pads). My comment at the time was I hope you actually get 1 session out of these. And that is all he got, one session, and some street driving, and they were gone. So basically 15 laps at Sebring and they were done.

I do not consider these in any way "track" pads.

JMO, with a little experience;).

Regards,
LarryB

My bad for not seeing the OP's mention of occasional track use.

Bobcats are great for the street but are definitely not track pads as Larry says. If you drive your car like a little schoolgirl at one or two HPDEs a year like I do then fine. But if you seriously track your car, then no.

stick with stock lines or not. ate super blu or type 200 (same thing, different color). great value and cheap enough that you won't mind changing it often. for about 5 or 6 years, have used ferodo ds2500 front and axxis ultimate rear. andie lin at cobalt friction set me up with this combo when he was a reseller and not a manufacturer. originally purchased for track, i think for a about a year i switched pads between street and track, but was a pain and not worth the bother.

I'm using the stainless steel lines and hawk XP (i think thats the name) pads...

w/ powerslot x-drilled and slotted rotors... everything was cryo treated too which is pretty impressive...

I once had to do an emergency stop from 80 mph and they grip all the way down to a dead stop.. no fading at all. but they do have to get warm before they work at their peak.

I like Porterfield R4S's for a street/track compromise. Minimal dusting and they don't take a long time to warm up. I haven't had my nsx on a track but tracked an S2000, FD, and Miata with them and they held up well.

I like Porterfield R4S's for a street/track compromise. Minimal dusting and they don't take a long time to warm up. I haven't had my nsx on a track but tracked an S2000, FD, and Miata with them and they held up well.

Funny how the same pad can be viewed very differently by different drivers.I hated the porterfield r4s,they were gone in one day at the glen,just could not take the heat.

I had Porterfield R4S on my Elise, no better than stock on the track and worse than stock on the street. Will be getting CT XP8's for the NSX based on recommendations here and from others (V8 Esprit).

I do occasional track use and went with Driving Ambitions suggestion to put in slotted and dimpled rotors (I think EBC), SS lines, and Hawk HPS pads.

The braking at the track was great for my novice use. A little more dust so you have to clean your wheels more often.

thank you for your reply. I appreciate the link also. pretty cool link too

what exactly is/are the speed bleeders?

Speed bleeders are a terrific, inexpensive product that replaces your OEM bleed valves (at each wheel) with ones that have a built-in check valve. Makes bleeding and changing your brake fluid a breeze. I recently bought these and consider it a must have for the DIY'er.

After reading this thread, I am as confused as ever on brake pads. This topic seems to be way more controversial than tires. As docjohn already stated, it's interesting on the range of opinion about the same product from those with tons of track experience and those with little to none.

sbani.gif

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

I just had the following replaced:

02+ OEM pads F/R
02+ OEM brake lines and fluid

with,

Dali SS brake lines
Project Mu "street" pads
Castrol SRF fluid -- so i don't have to flush the fluid more than 1x year for occasional HPDEs

So far, I am VERY VERY happy with the setup. Haven't been on track yet, but supposedly these pads are somewhat better than OEM against fade. Zero squealing. LESS THAN OEM dusting.

Put it this way, I usually drive barefoot (flipflops or dress shoes taken off) and now I can -and do- modulate the brake pressure with my big toe. Also, my "normal" stopping distances are slightly less than before as I find myself consistently stopping short at lights.

Very very happy. :smile:

do you obviously need 1 speed bleeder per caliper?

That's my car that Ken mentioned. I really like the Project Mu pads. Work well and little dust. SOS ss brake lines were installed as well. They do look cool.

I went with:
  • Carbotech Panther Plus front and rear pads
  • SS Lines
  • Speedbleeders

I have only drove the car to bed the brakes and rotors so far but was very impessed!!

Quick question for all you brake gurus here... my brake fluid reservoir was low so I topped it off and checked for any leaks at each wheel - no leaks anywhere... the dealer said its just b/c the pads are getting worn down and it pushes more fluid into the system to compensate..... ok fine....

a few weeks later i check it again and its low again... still no leaks anywhere - not under the brake master cylinder or anywhere inside the front compartment or anything on the calipers nothing...... where is all this fluid going? Its Super Blue ATE4.. thx guys

Quick question for all you brake gurus here... my brake fluid reservoir was low so I topped it off and checked for any leaks at each wheel - no leaks anywhere... the dealer said its just b/c the pads are getting worn down and it pushes more fluid into the system to compensate..... ok fine....

a few weeks later i check it again and its low again... still no leaks anywhere - not under the brake master cylinder or anywhere inside the front compartment or anything on the calipers nothing...... where is all this fluid going? Its Super Blue ATE4.. thx guys

Are you sure it is'nt belching out of the larger resevior in the front compartment.Check for leakage as a stuck abs solenoid can cause this.

Back