Beware of Costa Mesa police on Harbor blvd

that wont work...... the officer CAN disregard traffic laws when pursueing traffic violators..... there is an exception for offices in the vehicle code....

secondly, i assume he got your speed by either RADAR or LIDAR.... and assuming he did, he cited you for 22350 of the vehicle code, unsafe speed for conditions.... and in order to cite that section by use of RADAR or LIDAR, there HAS to be a traffic engineering survey done. and in that case the 85th percentile is used to determine the SAFE SPEED for that area (along with roadway conditions)..... and based on the 85th percentile, the speed limit MUST be posted within 5-10mph (depending on other conditions, which have to be noted on the survey) of the 85th percentile...... if you were cited for 65 in a 50 (was this on El Toro Rd???) the 85th percentils is probably between 55-60mph.... and you are over that by 5mph....

good luck at trial, but dont hold your breath..... VERY difficult to beat a RADAR or LIDAR ticket these days.....

BTW... i grew up in El Toro and graduated from El Toro High School..... one of my best friends lives less than 100 yards from Cooks Corner on Trabuco Canyon Rd...

Dave

Dave, I got the ticket (radar) on Glenn Ranch Road. I sent in my written declaration on Wednesday. I only used the facts of the cop parking in a no stopping any time zone, and making a U-turn across a double-double yellow line, to make my point that the traffic was light. My defense was that I was not breaking the basic speed law of traveling safely for the conditions. I included three photos of the road and signs.

I won! :biggrin::biggrin:

I just went online to Orange County Courts, and discovered that my case was dismissed and I was "Exonerated" on 8/25/2009.

Last edited:

I just went online to Orange County Courts, and discovered that my case was dismissed and I was "Exonerated" on 8/25/2009.

Atta girl, Patty !
Very happy for you. And so is Cheryl !

That's good news, Patty. Congrats! I composed my written declaration but haven't mailed the docs yet. Did you simply mail your courtesy note (ticket with bail amount) along with a check and your written declaration or was there some other form to fill out? Now that you are an expert, I need your advice. :biggrin:

Steve

That's good news, Patty. Congrats! I composed my written declaration but haven't mailed the docs yet. Did you simply mail your courtesy note (ticket with bail amount) along with a check and your written declaration or was there some other form to fill out? Now that you are an expert, I need your advice. :biggrin:

Steve

When I sent in my bail amount, I included a form I got online from Ticket Assassin requesting a Trial by Written Declaration. You may be a step ahead of the way I did it. After that, I received some forms from the court to submit my written declaration. That's when I sent in my written part "STATEMENT OF FACTS" and three photos.

Steve

Steve,

You can call the court clerk directly and tell them your intention of doing written by declaration. You'll have to pay the 'bail' amount on the ticket, and they'll send you the TR-xxx form (you can also download yourself, or the one from the court will have the ticket information and your basic profile).

HTH, good luck. Good to see someone is actually reading and winning through the declarations. My experience with OC courts have been 0/6 in the past 3 years. One of the result even came back to me within 1 week of my submission. I didn't think any court can process paperwork that quick, which led me to believe the court is returning all declaration automatically with a guilty verdict.

Last edited:
Thanks both SilverOne and Patty. I downloaded the form and will send it along with my WD this week. I don't think I'll be as lucky as you, Patty. I had no idea where the cop was until he turned-on his lights. It was dark and us NSX'ers ride low. I did obtain a traffic report for Harbor Boulevard, hoping it hadn't been updated in 5 or more years. It was updated just two years ago with 40mph being the recommended speed limit. D'oh! I'll give it the old college try, but I'm prepared to not see my check back once I lick the envelope.

Back