Beware of Costa Mesa police on Harbor blvd

99.5% of police officers I had encountered in the past are very professional and friendly. I have a lot of respect for officers. However, not today:mad:.

I got a window tint ticket today when I was heading to Marukai to grab dinner like usual. He saw me one block away from the Marukai near Rite Aid when he was pulling out, we exchanged eye contact and pulled me over immediately in Marukai parking lot and gave me a fix it ticket.

My tint is so light that it is virtually see through, I am fairly sure it is at least 70% transparent. Yet, he gave me a ticket. Ironically almost all cars in that parking lot had darker tint than me. I know I probably should had just STFU, but I did made a mistake by saying:

Sir, I have legal tint, just look at it, it is completely see though. What about that car there, this one too, that one too, and all these cars passing by on the road. I am just here to grab dinner. I used very friendly tone and I was stating merely what I had observed.

Then he started to be a dick. Acting as I am not allowed to say a word and started being sarcastic. It sucks so bad when you feel like you are not allowed to say anything. I am just going to get the ticket sign off by another officer or pay the fine.

I was going 25mph, yet he also stated that I was going 40mph in 45mph zone on the ticket:confused:.

This officer is M. Johnson from Costa Mesa police department, I think a lot of other NSX owners got hassled by this cop before. I was in my bimmer.

Last edited:
sorry to hear you had trouble in Costa Mesa. In the OC, irvine cops are pretty bad, costa mesa is second. So wack.

Budget crisis, budget crisis.

Why would any department retain an officer who brings in less revenue than everyone else? No offense to cops out there, but really.... I sure as heck wouldn't.

So how much is that ticket anyhow? I know in my town, a front plate fix it ticket used to be $15, it's now ~$135

Last I remember, it's free if corrected. I don't know how much to pay it off.

Budget crisis, budget crisis.

Why would any department retain an officer who brings in less revenue than everyone else? No offense to cops out there, but really.... I sure as heck wouldn't.

So how much is that ticket anyhow? I know in my town, a front plate fix it ticket used to be $15, it's now ~$135

$135!!! :eek::eek: YIKES! I thought it was a fix it ticket.:confused:

99.5% of police officers I had encountered in the past are very professional and friendly. I have a lot of respect for officers. However, not today:mad:.

I got a window tint ticket today when I was heading to Marukai to grab dinner like usual. He saw me one block away from the Marukai near Rite Aid when he was pulling out, we exchanged eye contact and pulled me over immediately in Marukai parking lot and gave me a fix it ticket.

My tint is so light that it is virtually see through, I am fairly sure it is at least 70% transparent. Yet, he gave me a ticket. Ironically almost all cars in that parking lot had darker tint than me. I know I probably should had just STFU, but I did made a mistake by saying:

Sir, I have legal tint, just look at it, it is completely see though. What about that car there, this one too, that one too, and all these cars passing by on the road. I am just here to grab dinner. I used very friendly tone and I was stating merely what I had observed.

Then he started to be a dick. Acting as I am not allowed to say a word and started being sarcastic. It sucks so bad when you feel like you are not allowed to say anything. I am just going to get the ticket sign off by another officer or pay the fine.

I was going 25mph, yet he also stated that I was going 40mph in 45mph zone on the ticket:confused:.

This officer is M. Johnson from Costa Mesa police department, I think a lot of other NSX owners got hassled by this cop before. I was in my bimmer.

Damn Jason sorry to hear. Thanks for the heads up though!

Sorry to hear Jason...but you better off just keeping your mouth shut and paying for the tickets. Unlike my A$$ back in college where I didn't even open my mouth yet and was bum rush off my motocycle, than the damn sticks came out with 8 other badge pricks who felt like they all had to join in for a good yellow fever beaten, than let go after they gave me a med pak to clean up my shit to go home. BS huh? The medical bills is much more than that ticket bro.

Last I remember, it's free if corrected. I don't know how much to pay it off.
$135!!! :eek::eek: YIKES! I thought it was a fix it ticket.:confused:
I don't have tint on my front windows anymore, so it's been a while since I last received a ticket for it, but I do remember there being a fee to cover "processing" or "paperwork". And if I recall correctly, it's an escalating fine, meaning it will cost much more the second time around.

I don't have tint on my front windows anymore, so it's been a while since I last received a ticket for it, but I do remember there being a fee to cover "processing" or "paperwork". And if I recall correctly, it's an escalating fine, meaning it will cost much more the second time around.

Back in the day when I got a ticket for window tinting it was a $10 fix it ticket. I'm not sure how much it is today.

Hac maybe they thought you were a yellow Rodney King that's why they came after you. They need at least 8 officers to stop you! lol jp :smile:

Oh man I had a tint problem also I bought a car that already had tint on it and I had no idea it was illegal cuz a lot of other cars around here had about the same darkness and got pulled over and I was drunk and he could smell it thats how I got my first DUI:mad: because of this I will never have tint on any of my cars ever again only if its a SUV and is stock and I wont even get tint on the side windows Ill learn to deal with the sun in my eyes F it

someone has to pay for our budget deficit. besides, he probably wont be around for long with the cuts the gov is making. let him get in his power trip while he can.

99.9% of cops are real cool. there is always the .1% POS factor.

just pay the ticket. it costs more time and effort to retint your car.

Oh man I had a tint problem also I bought a car that already had tint on it and I had no idea it was illegal cuz a lot of other cars around here had about the same darkness and got pulled over and I was drunk and he could smell it thats how I got my first DUI:mad:

So you're blaming the tint for getting behind the wheel drunk. It's a shame you didn't learn from that experience.

Find out what the law says about front window tint (You're allowed to have it as dark as you want on the rear windows). If the law specifies a certain percentage of tint darkness, compare that law with what your ticket says is the violation you committed. If you could verify your tint % with an agency that a judge would believe, then the court should throw out the ticket processing fee.

Find out what the law says about front window tint (You're allowed to have it as dark as you want on the rear windows). If the law specifies a certain percentage of tint darkness, compare that law with what your ticket says is the violation you committed. If you could verify your tint % with an agency that a judge would believe, then the court should throw out the ticket processing fee.
CA vehicle code 26708. (a) (1) ( )1 A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

CA vehicle code (2) ( )1 A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle ( )2 that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

I'm guessing that no judge is ever going to rule that even the lightest tint doesn't obscure vision even a little bit, so you might be SOL.

However, there are a number of caveats listed afterward that might allow you some level of tint on the windows. In particular, the last may allow installation if it supllies a minimum of 88% visible light, but it requires some sort of certificate from an installer or a manufacturer.

Rest of the vehicle code is here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

CA vehicle code 26708. (a) (1) ( )1 A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

CA vehicle code (2) ( )1 A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle ( )2 that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

I'm guessing that no judge is ever going to rule that even the lightest tint doesn't obscure vision even a little bit, so you might be SOL.

However, there are a number of caveats listed afterward that might allow you some level of tint on the windows. In particular, the last may allow installation if it supllies a minimum of 88% visible light, but it requires some sort of certificate from an installer or a manufacturer.

Rest of the vehicle code is here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

I won't argue w/ what you posted, but I was told by a friend (who's a traffic cop) that the lawful issue of tint applies to only the immediate side windows and windshield of the driver. Wouldn't every limo in Ca. be illegally tinted (not to mention police cars that have tinted rear windows) if the code you listed was legally valid ?

Last edited:
I won't argue w/ what you posted, but I was told by a friend (who's a traffic cop) that the lawful issue of tint applies to only the immediate side windows and windshield of the driver. Wouldn't every limo in Ca. be illegally tinted (not to mention police cars that have tinted rear windows) if the code you listed was legally valid ?
Nope, you've got it right. Like you mentioned, one can pretty much make the back windows as dark as they want, even paint them opaque, should they choose, if they have side mirrors. The exceptions listed in the vehicle code note that rear windows can be tinted, if the vehicle has operable side mirrors on both sides.

(8) The rear window or windows,( )3 if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and righthand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

I merely wrote the first two lines of the vehicle code to summarize what CA law wants. Even with the listed caveats that "might" allow side window tint, CA law pretty much makes it illegal for anything to be on the side windows.

Last edited:
You are not allowed to have ANY tint on the front windows. Sorry but that's just the law though I don't abide either. I got ticketed about 2 months ago. 2 weeks later, I saw the same officer ahead of me, so I rolled my windows down. He turned off to go a completely different direction. I drove on for another 3 mins and decided I was safe so I rolled the windows back up. Bang, out of nowhere, the same cop pulls up on me and I show him the ticket from 2 weeks ago. He asked why I haven't taken care of it and was about to ticket me again. I just told him I have been busy and haven't had the time so he let me go with a warning.

Anyhow, the ticket is now a $165 payoff which allows you to keep your tint on but you can still get a ticket. I was going to take off my tint so I could get it retinted with ceramic and even save a few bucks but I waited too long.

The government needs money so expect these types of tickets more often now.

Sorry to hear Jason...but you better off just keeping your mouth shut and paying for the tickets. Unlike my A$$ back in college where I didn't even open my mouth yet and was bum rush off my motocycle, than the damn sticks came out with 8 other badge pricks who felt like they all had to join in for a good yellow fever beaten, than let go after they gave me a med pak to clean up my shit to go home. BS huh? The medical bills is much more than that ticket bro.
Thanks guys. Yes, I completely agree, that is what I usually do if I get caught making some noise or speeding. Unfortunately, I was just hungry and felt like WTF when he pulled me over yesterday.

Oh well, I will just treat it like a parking ticket and pay the fine and avoid Harbor blvd unless I absolutely have to drive by. The worst thing is now that I have a fear of going to Marukai. I shop and eat there a lot.

Sorry to hear about that. The lesson I've learned is to not talk to cops at all.

I've heard lawyers advise this before too. You can do absolutely no good talking to a cop. All you can do is give them something that they can use in court to incriminate you--even if what you said was completely harmless at the time, they can take it out of context in court. If you say nothing, you are not hurting yourself. Example: Cops always ask you if you know how fast you were going to try to get you to admit to speeding. If you say anything, they can use it in court. If you say you were doing 45 in a 40, you just incriminated yourself. If you say 35 in a 40, he will say you were doing 45 anyways. They will take his word over yours.

Don't think that talking/giving an excuse will help. The chance that they will let you off is slim--especially if you are a minority.

Just be courteous, and comply with their requests, but don't say anything.

Sorry to hear about it, again. I've been there, and feel your pain.

If you felt you were treated improperly at least you can go file a complaint to the watch commander. Even if they do nothing at least the complaint is on record. Those complaints can and will add up eventually when it comes time to discipline the officer if the complaint has merits.

Its unfortunate some officers can be such A holes.....it really depends on where they got their training from ie what Academy they went through and if they just have that personality. Some Academy's I will not mention their name do not have good ethical or cultural training it seems. They focus on stress more and less Academics, and their A.C.T training is a joke.

Unfortunately there are two big Academys in So Cal that crank out a lot of different officers from different cities and Costa Mesa is one of them. Most of the A hole officers that I have met come from that one Academy that trains Costa Mesa PD and others.

I can tell you this because I have a lot of friends that are Officers from both of those Academy's and they even admit that its just a big hazing that they go through to get where they are at.....even after the Academy they still go through a lot of crap.

Sorry if you felt you were harrassed, some Officers go by letter of the law and some spirit of the law......and some guys are just plain jerks.

Things will change because the older salty generation of cops are retiring and new blood is coming in. The new blood is more diverse and better trained for the most part, but no matter what you're gonna get guys and gals that are A holes.......thats the type of personality that this job attracts unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up.....I personally like Marukai also....thank goodness I can go to Gardena and Torrance for that.

^^^ +1

Can't hurt, and if this particular officer has hassled people in the past, he will likely have other complaints against him... which the department notices during reviews and such.

There will always be those people that file complaints on cops no matter if it's justified or not, but if the department notices that a particular cop has an unusually high number of complaints filed against him/her, they will discipline that person, possibly even take them off duty.

If you felt you were treated improperly at least you can go file a complaint to the watch commander. Even if they do nothing at least the complaint is on record. Those complaints can and will add up eventually when it comes time to discipline the officer if the complaint has merits.....

Eddie, Though this sounds good and perfectly legal, i wouldn't advise it. When my beatin' happened, I went to complain for building up my case. What happen when I went into file a complaint was another story, as the officers behind the desk remarked to me "you sure you want to do this...remember, you live in the same city" and started laughing as if some sort of "set up" will be done if I did file.

Anyway...i'll just leave it up to Karma and let it be.

Sorry to hear about that Jason. In CA its illegal to have ANY tint on your front side windows and windshield. I removed my 15 percent a few monthes ago. The cop was probably just having a bad day. Don't take it personal. :cool:

By the way was it a Bike Cop?

Hey Jason,
I have few officer friends who can sign your ticket off for you...I m not sure if it matters what city you get it signed off at or not as I am in the bay area..

Eddie, Though this sounds good and perfectly legal, i wouldn't advise it. When my beatin' happened, I went to complain for building up my case. What happen when I went into file a complaint was another story, as the officers behind the desk remarked to me "you sure you want to do this...remember, you live in the same city" and started laughing as if some sort of "set up" will be done if I did file.

Anyway...i'll just leave it up to Karma and let it be.

Why did they beat you up? Like hit you with fists or just throw you around? Did you run away from them? Just curious....

Back