Best Exotic to Track?

I am going to have an opportunity to track an exotic car in Las Vegas shortly. I've never tracked any car before so I'm really looking forward to this. It could really be a once in lifetime chance. There are multiple options and wanted to know what Prime recommends.

There a bunch of cars but I've kind of narrowed down to these:

Ferrari 458 Italia
Lamborghini Superleggera LP570
Ferrari 430 Scuderia

I'm kind of debating between the 1st 2. I've read rave reviews of the 458 on the track but could easily be convinced to go Lambo.

I am 6'3", so if I don't fit with a helmet in one of these, I'm sure I can in a German. So the backup plan would be:

Porsche 997 Turbo S vs
Audi R8 V10.

Please pick one from each group (unless you feel one of the last 2 trumps all). Thanks.

Drove the Superleggera as well as the F458 at ExoticsRacing at LVMS last month.

Looks for a thread that pgilliam started a while back.

IMHO the Superleggera is a total waste of money, awful erognomics, not enough headroom archaic car by modern standards.

Between the F458 and the F430 Scudderia it will depend on what kind of car you want to drive, the F458 is civil in contrast the F430 Scudderia is supposed to be more track focused (that being said the F458 is more capable).

The Audi R8 V10's as well as the 997 Turbo S are not real exotics but they are plenty fast.

If you have only one car to drive I would recommend the F458 or the MP4-12C (if it is available in time)

Have fun!

Drove the Superleggera as well as the F458 at ExoticsRacing at LVMS last month.

I looked into this a while back, but 5 laps at ~$400 seems a little steep. Would you recommend it at this price? How long does 5 laps last?

I figure for a 1.4 mile track that's about 1:30 lap time if not less, so that's $400 for 7.5 minutes or seat time? Really curious to hear your honest opinion..

If you are planning to rent an exotic car in Las Vegas to track, you should consider my experience doing the exact same thing. I rented an NSX, and it was the worst-maintained NSX I have ever seen. There were some glaring problems that could make it a nightmare if you intend to take it to the track. (Maybe the rental car places have gotten better since then, but I doubt it.)

No question -- the 458.

I looked into this a while back, but 5 laps at ~$400 seems a little steep. Would you recommend it at this price? How long does 5 laps last?

I figure for a 1.4 mile track that's about 1:30 lap time if not less, so that's $400 for 7.5 minutes or seat time? Really curious to hear your honest opinion..

Yes IMHO it was worth it, the F458 is that good of a car.

If you have track experience you will enjoy it that much more since you will be able to push the car on the 2nd lap and really appreciate of how good of a car the F458 is.

Most people who have never been to the track will suffer from information overload, someone with experience can approach it the same way that they would do a new track, by finding track maps, watching online videos to memorize the track, reference points, etc, and make the most of the 5-6 laps that you have on the car since driving on the track should be 2nd nature.

There are downsides because you will be sharing track space with quite a few people who are newbies that might be awfully slow as well as the Z06 drift car that goes around giving rides to folks and even the Cayenne that is used to give recon laps. But overall it was an enjoyable experience. Just make sure to give a heads up to the "instructor" that you have track experience so you won't scare him ;)

It can be a slippery slope because:

- after driving one your brain will probably start clicking trying to figure out how to afford one

- going back to your car can feel a bit of a letdown

If you are planning to rent an exotic car in Las Vegas to track, you should consider my experience doing the exact same thing. I rented an NSX, and it was the worst-maintained NSX I have ever seen. There were some glaring problems that could make it a nightmare if you intend to take it to the track. (Maybe the rental car places have gotten better since then, but I doubt it.)

It's a track focused rental, vehicles are only driven on the track. All vehicles are well maintained as far as I could tell. No issues whatsoever when I drove the cars at the beginning of the day, pretty sure that they take the time to replace tires, pads rotors as well as bleed the brakes (all consumable items).

Some of their onboard video capture equipment can be flaky though, I wasn't able to get video for when I drove the Cayman R. A GoPro would solve that but they don't allow you to install one while you drive their cars, instead you have to pay for video, I did get a voucher for free video and extra laps for the next time that I attend one of their events.

458 Italia. :biggrin:

Not even close.

Although, I would want a chance in the McLaren.

I drove the 458 there because all the instructors there recommended that car above all the others. My instructor gave me 2 extra laps because I was held back by other cars/drivers (the extra laps are their option). I was amazed by the car but it seemed just when you get the accelleration, shifting and braking "about" figured out, the drive is over. I'm 6'2" and fit fine with the helmet. The 458 still remains the most capable car I've ever driven, by far. The costs are a bit steep, but it was on my bucket list - now it's not :wink:.

I did the exotics racing at lvms in October and had the same dilemma. I chose the 458 as all the instructors said that was the car to drive. I am 6'3 as well and no problems with fitting in a good driving position.

Overall great experience and worth the bucks. It's not that often that you get the opportunity to throw a 458 around the track the way it was meant to be. I'd do it again without thinking twice.

You wouldn't fit in the SL... So the choices are F458 or F430! I would go with the Italia since it is Ferrari's latest show of tech.

Or a 12C!:wink:

ferrari... hands down the best to track and you should be able to jump right in and push it hard, being familiar with a MR layout. personally i prefer the F430, the single clutch automated manual is far more reliable than the dual clutch on the 458 Italia... but in terms of a joy ride, you may like the faster 458.

i haven't driven the aventador yet and i hear that is fantastic. past lamborghini's were awful, though.

GT-R will blow your mind with its physics defying performance, but it feels really awkward. i would still recommend it, though. you can drive every car under the sun and the GT-R will still standout.

So yesterday I got a chance to track the Itlalia for 7 laps in Vegas. The car is a beast and so much fun to drive. It was my first track event and can totally respect the skill required--definitely something you have to learn.

My instructor was great--he really wanted me to push it. They don't hold you back and want you to have fun. Expensive but money well spent.

As noted by others, all the instructors love the 458. I know it's not a true track event but I was happy that I passed many cars (mainly Gallardos) and didn't get passéd.

After the event, I was telling the instructor how enjoyable it was to drive the ultimate car on the track. And he said, "honestly I would rather take your car out there (NSX)". I kid you not.

I'm not sure if he was humoring me or not but he seemed sincere. Our cars remain legendary. And true car people know it.

Last edited:
Back