• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ben Roethlisberger - in a motorcycle accident :(

breaking news on the local news here back @ home on KDKA...

Ben Roethlisberger was in a motorcycle accident this morning about an hour and a half ago. He was going straight thru a greenlight when a woman made a left turn illegally and Ben struck her front fender and hit the windshield with his head, then into the ground head first. No helmet.

He was taken to Mercy in Pittsburgh, I'm watching this live... will say more if there is more live, that isn't online yet.

Sucks :(

NetViper said:
I don't know who that is?
Quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers

FROM ESPN.COM:

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning in a motorcycle accident and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

Re: No helmet

nicholas421 said:
completely uncalled for dude.

yea, well, its true though... hate it for him but you can't help those that woln't help themselves...

>>completely uncalled for dude.

Completely disagree dude. I bet this guy wears safety pads when he plays ball against 150 pound opponents on a wooden court - but no safety gear when he plays against 4000 pound opponents on asphalt?

Sounds like a helmet could have prevented his injuries, let alone his trip to the hospital which we all pay for.

Perhaps you have removed the airbags and seat belts from your vehicle as a stand against modern safety equipment? I honestly don't understand your point.

Re: No helmet

live update...

Coherent/talking/knows where he is...

"serious but stable condition"

whatever that officially means, he is in some kind of surgery right now

for those who don't know - he is the QB of the Super Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers

Soichiro said:
I honestly don't understand your point.

i am not condoning unsafe behavior. i'm just saying you can be a little tactful. if someone came here saying their sister got raped while taking a short cut through the woods, i wouldn't be saying "young girl taking a short cut through woods = moron!"

PA. has helmet laws- it isn't a matter of choice, he should have been wearing one.

This is really dissappointing to hear, mostly because he is such a role model for kids.

Unlike many Steeler fans I don't think it is my place to judge him for his hobbies, but to break the law in the process isn't a very good example to set.

/\ This is incorrect information, and just another example of the WizKid leading you astray with disinformation... I say we string him up...

I hope he is alright, and recovers 110% (an extra 10% if he figures out that a helmet is a good idea)

Philip

Last edited:
Pa. does not require helmets.

Soichiro said:
Sounds like a helmet could have prevented his injuries, let alone his trip to the hospital which we all pay for.

I don't think Ben is going to be able to defer his medical bills to the state my friend... From what I understand, those guys that play with the pigskin ball make a couple of bucks while they are out there...

docjohn said:
Pa. does not require helmets.

Yup- your right- here it is...

Title 75. Vehicles. Part III. Operation of Vehicles. Chapter 35. Special Vehicles and Pedestrians. Subchapter B. Special Rules for Motorcycles. Section 3525. Protective Equipment for Motorcycle Riders. :
"(a) Protective headgear.--Except as provided in subsection (d), no person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle (other than a motorized pedalcycle) unless he is wearing protective headgear which complies with standards established by the department.
. . .
"(d) Exception.--The provisions of [subsections (a) and (b)] subsection (a) shall not apply to the following:
"(1) The operator or any occupant of a three-wheeled motorcycle equipped with an enclosed cab.
"(2) A person 21 years of age or older who has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for not less than two full calendar years.
"(3) A person 21 years of age or older who has completed a motorcycle rider safety course approved by the department or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
"(4) The passenger of a person exempt under this subsection, if the passenger is 21 years of age or older."

Damn-

concussions add up over the years...

H-carWizKid said:
PA. has helmet laws- it isn't a matter of choice, he should have been wearing one.

The 35 year old helmet law was changed/modified recently, so I read. That was Ben's response to those who questioned why even wear a helmet for football therefore; he stated, there's a rule for football & the one for the roads has been changed.

Also, Big-Ben's contract didn't have any stipulations for motorcycles or other 'high-risk' activities, as which was not the case w/ Kellen Winslow Jr's contact specifically stipulating certain things.

My friends have seen Big-Ben's bike, a very low-key chopper-type of cruiser. Seems on par for leisure Sunday cruises in the countryside or group-drives/rallies. Very much a joy-ride type of bike, for enthusiasts & special outings.

Re: concussions add up over the years...

He was on a black japanese bike, not a harley like he used to/usually rides.

Re: concussions add up over the years...

Osiris_x11 said:
The 35 year old helmet law was changed/modified recently, so I read. That was Ben's response to those who questioned why even wear a helmet for football therefore; he stated, there's a rule for football & the one for the roads has been changed.

Yup- here is a quote from the page I pulled the law from---

Proud as peacocks, they are, for obtaining a "repeal" of their helmet law, effective September 4, 2003. It ain't no "repeal."

That was after I left Pa. for the Great State of Texas. I withdraw my assertion that breaking the law is a bad example for Ben to set, and now just go with.

H-carWizKid said:

body-helmet should be required!

rickysals said:
He was on a black japanese bike, not a harley like he used to/usually rides.

Now that is high-risk, irresponsible, and unacceptable. And it goes totally against his previous affirmation to the public/press/coach regarding his recreational conduct.

Also, wassup w/ PA repealing such a law (ex. helmet)? They used to be amongst the most conservative, slow-to-change of any state I knew of. The interstate speed-limit of 55mph was only changed to 65mph a few years ago, yes- you read that correctly! So, crotch-rocket & no helmet... oye, PA legislature sure dropped the ball on this one!

From another forum:

he wears a helmet to protect him from 300lb guys, but doesn't wear one to protect himself from 3000lb cars, you do the math.

Hey 421, do you really think getting raped while taking a short cut is EXACTLY THE SAME as purposefully not wearing safety equipment that is known to prevent injuries and save lives? I can't believe that one.

Soichiro said:
>>completely uncalled for dude.

Completely disagree dude. I bet this guy wears safety pads when he plays ball against 150 pound opponents on a wooden court - but no safety gear when he plays against 4000 pound opponents on asphalt?

Perhaps you have removed the airbags and seat belts from your vehicle as a stand against modern safety equipment? I honestly don't understand your point.

First of all, I want to know what kind of football you are watching with 150 lb players and a wooden court. :biggrin:

Second, I couldn't agree more. The wind in your hair is no substitute for the ability of your brain to function properly after a collision. If the Steelers wanted to, they could probably void his contract for violating a very common clause prohibiting stuff like this - motorcycle riding, skydiving, racecar driving, bungee jumping, etc.

At least he proved his point to Cowher, huh?

Re: body-helmet should be required!

Osiris_x11 said:
Also, wassup w/ PA repealing such a law (ex. helmet)?

Florida repealed its helmet law a few years ago and motorcycle fatalities are up almost 50%.

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet gives a whole new meaning to the term crackhead.

I'm glad Ben will apparently be ok but he's truly an idiot.

Soichiro said:
Hey 421, do you really think getting raped while taking a short cut is EXACTLY THE SAME as purposefully not wearing safety equipment that is known to prevent injuries and save lives? I can't believe that one.

He didn't say it was "EXACTLY THE SAME"-

He said-

nicholas421 said:
i am not condoning unsafe behavior. i'm just saying you can be a little tactful. if someone came here saying their sister got raped while taking a short cut through the woods, i wouldn't be saying "young girl taking a short cut through woods = moron!"

Perhaps a little "reading for understanding and comprehension" should be in your coursework?

what Nic was getting at is that just because Ben wasn't wearing a helmet does not mean he deserved injury.

Just like a girl taking a shortcut through the woods does not mean she deserves to be raped.

The similarity is that neither party was really asking for it but now that it has happened, neither party deserves your "i told you so" judgements.

Both parties described in their seperate examples are injured in some way and deserve some empathy- or at the very least some tact when someone such as yourself posts an opinion.

Read what is actually there, not just what you want to see.

Back