Are 02's and up worth the extra money

The Gallardo is awefully nice :D

Actually, I'm often really tempted by the 911TT as I think it would be kind of a perfect car for me. Fast as heck, somewhat understated yet still a prestige marque, you can pretty much go anywhere with it, and it even has back seats that would work for a young kid.

The trouble is, I haven't been able to get an even remotely decent insurance quote for one here in NYC. All of the insurance companies I talked to are asking literally 3x what I pay for the NSX or what I had paid for the Corvette and I just refuse to pay that much on principal ;)

I would wait a little depreciation on the Gallardo (afterall in the meantime you can drive your nice NSX :) ) and buy that over the 996TT.

It has a NSX-like feeling to it, the 996 is too common in so many other versions. :p

I'm sorry if I'm being red neck here...

I just felt like that WingZ really should drive an nsx, I really don't care if it's a pre or post 97... though, of course he would have a hard time getting a test drive on a 04 at the dealership...

I had driven a S2000 both bad and good weather, only I haven't driven it on track... It's appear to be a toy for me instead of something that will makes me want to drive her everyday. (nsx?)

Like I mentioned on the other post: If you bought a S2000, you probably wonder what it's like to have an nsx all day long, or once you encounter one...
Very seldom that an nsx owner will think they made a mistake not to buy a S2000.

If you really want to know the performance diference between S2000 and nsx, rent an older Best Motoring Video (perferably the one they introduce S2000) They had a stock 91 running with nsx on track, and the S2000 is no where close to catching it. Don't even mention 97 or even 03 ;)

Don't be offended by my harsh comment. There is a reason that nsx is 2.5 times more expensive than the S2000. Once you driven both, You will find it shows every extra penny that had been put on the nsx.

I think WingZ was pretty much sold on the NSX, but was wondering about the 97+ vs the 02+ in terms of value proposition.

Personally, I wouldnt advise that anyone stretch themselves to get the 02+; the value just isnt there. Of course if you're in the market for a new one anyway (which was my case), then there's no reason to *not* get it.

For me, I just wanted to buy a new NSX and be the original owner (no stories). I wouldnt say that the 02+ offers massive value over the 97+ in general though.

I took no offense to any of your comments "NSX dreamer2".

I think your absolutely right about my needing to drive the NSX. Spookyp hit the nail on the head as I just wasn't sure about the 02 being worth the extra money vs a 97-99 which I was looking at for cost reasons.

As to the NSX performance vs S2k I was curious because almost every article I've read people love the S2K and it almost alway's wins it's comparison tests ( I only know of two were it didn't place first ) and the NSX always loses and they talk about how dated it is for the money.

Owners here have explained to me it's the feeling the car gives everyday when they drive it. Whci reminds me of the 1st generation 300ZX turbo it almost never won any comparison tests ,but I loved it for it's civility ,useable power and great everyday civility. So now as soon I see one for sell near me I will go and drive one.

Oh and BTW I have a buddy who races his S2K at track events and yes he's beaten NSX's so it's really all about driver in most situations.

WingZ said:
NSX always loses and they talk about how dated it is for the money.

I agree alot of magazines says that its dated and expensive. But what comparison test you are talking about that says the NSX always loses?

Have you looked here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/magazine.htm

This is not a bad read either:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/2002-09-01-sundaytimes.jpg

WingZ said:
Oh and BTW I have a buddy who races his S2K at track events and yes he's beaten NSX's so it's really all about driver in most situations.

Yes, its all about the driver. To put it in context, if you have 2 drivers of the same skill, one driving the S2000, the other in the NSX, I will say the NSX will win.

You better say the NSX will win:D , before I spend all this money for one!

I have one old C&D that the NSX won all my other issues of C&D and Road&Track it comes in second or fourth.

Yes the nsx always lose... since it's just a comparison test on performance and driving feel when they probably face off with more expensive sport cars... or maybe they are comparing nsx to other more "affordable" options out there...

The quality of the car and the reliability were not honored in those kind of tests.

Now to answer your question of if you should fork out more money for the 02+... If you are planning to keep them both stock, I'll say go for 02+; if in case you would like to modify it, a good condition 97+ would be good. Unless you particularly love the 02+ headlights and bumper, for lighting performance wise, the stock projectors with aftermarket HID are as good as any factory HID.

It all comes down to if you want a newer cars (even an nsx, I'd beleived the newer the car is, tighter it is.)

Okay guy's yesterday I had a ride in an 02 stick vs the 04 auto I got a ride in the week before and seat of the pants didn't feel to different.

Now as I plan to go FI as soon as I get one ( sorry it didn't feel that quick ) is 95 the only targa year that doesn't have the OBDII and drive by wire throttle?

Thanks for all your help guy's :eek:

Back