Are 02's and up worth the extra money

I've been reading posts on this forum and all the info I can find ( i.e old C&D , edmunds and so on ) on the NSX. My problem is this I have a 02 S2K that I will keep ,but would like an NSX as well. I love the nose on the NSX however it's alot more than say a 97 or 98 without being different performance wise. So anyone trade their older 97+ NSX for the newer model and if so do you regret it now?

WingZ said:
I've been reading posts on this forum and all the info I can find ( i.e old C&D , edmunds and so on ) on the NSX. My problem is this I have a 02 S2K that I will keep ,but would like an NSX as well. I love the nose on the NSX however it's alot more than say a 97 or 98 without being different performance wise. So anyone trade their older 97+ NSX for the newer model and if so do you regret it now?

you can do the conversion, which I'm guessing is cheaper than purchasing a 02+.

Ha too funny I was just reading one of your threads

Hey we're both S2k owners so I can say this to you. Performance wise I just don't see the NSX being worth the $65k ( cheapest I found for an '02) and for darn sure it's not worth $90k new. I love the looks of it and it's rarity,but I just fixed the S2k's tail happiness and I'm having a wonderful time at the track. Sidenote the standard 16" version S2k pulls one g less than the Zarnardi so handles very similar.

Like you though I really want an NSX...hmm I wonder how much to convert the front end to an 02' or just the exposed headlights that I've seen on the forum?

WingZ said:

Hey we're both S2k owners so I can say this to you. Performance wise I just don't see the NSX being worth the $65k ( cheapest I found for an '02) and for darn sure it's not worth $90k new. I love the looks of it and it's rarity,but I just fixed the S2k's tail happiness and I'm having a wonderful time at the track. Sidenote the standard 16" version S2k pulls one g less than the Zarnardi so handles very similar.

Like you though I really want an NSX...hmm I wonder how much to convert the front end to an 02' or just the exposed headlights that I've seen on the forum?

well you kind of hit it on the head of the nail there. 90K (or whatever price for a used one) is a tough price to pay for ANYTHING really. But for the NSX, you are getting the rarity, it's hand built, and really performs up there along with other supercars for a fraction of the price tag. I mean a real true balance of performance. remember, this is coming from a v6 pushing around 300hp. It's like how our S is only a 2.0L I4 that can give some v8's a run for their money. Put it on a true track, and it really shines. I believe the same is true with the X. I know you can go to Scienceofspeed.com and look at the prices for the conversion. I believe someone on Prime here had just done it recently. check out the SoS site. that should help to answer you questions.

Good luck to you as well in your search man!

Tom

02's are most likely under full factory warrenty, this along may justify the higher price. also the expose headlight is a rare look that some owner like/ or hate, just depends on your preference. If I have the extra funds, I would buy 02> because it is very rare. 90k can get you 2 vettes, so If performance is your only criteria, then NSX may not be for you, and for the price of S2000, you can buy a 04 mustang cobra, so your decision to buy S2000 is based on more than just performance. Just like the decision to buy a NSX will be.:)

1st or @nd Generation

IMHO the 02' is a better if u have da cash! Or you can buy a 97+ and do the conversion... it works out much cheaper...

WingZ said:

Speaking from experience, they're totally different cars. Ratings and stats don't convey the difference behind the wheel of the car. Even prior to having our NSX supercharged, it still "felt" faster and more stable than our S2000 with its SC/AC/JICs/etc.

I had both our S2000 and the NSX out over the weekend - the S2000 (back on OEM shocks and wheels, as it's for sale) feels like a tank compared to the NSX. The NSX is more comforable, more balanced, built better and feels razor sharp compared to the S. That's one of the reasons we're selling the S2000 - comparatively, it's much more fun to drive the NSX.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest taking a 3.2L/6spd out for a spirited test drive, if at all possible. You should be able to see exactly what I mean.

Ryan

Rating doesn't mean anything in real life. The new NSX will just flat out smoke a C5 Vette, F355, M3... in stock form.

Actually my S2k is now set up perfectly with suspension upgrades. It no longer bites me on the track and the only thing slowing it down is me not being a better driver ( which I'm working on ). How can the S2k feel like a tank compared to the NSX when the X is at least 250+ lbs:confused: ? Of course for the refinement difference of $60k I do fully expect it to feel different.

I really like the looks of the X and it's rarity hence my reason for wanting to purchase one. I just don't see it's engine as one of it's strong selling points.

WingZ[/i] [b][u]for darn sure it's not worth $90k new.[/u][/b] [i]Originally posted by nsxtasy said:
I guess that's why you can buy a new one for significantly less than that... :rolleyes:

hmmm, my insight about the price(s) of a NSX... GET OVER IT!!! :o

Ditto what Ken said.

Whoever buys a new NSX for 90k (w/o any MSRP reduction), i'll buy them a Louis XIII cognac... :p

['Werd' image/smiley supposed to be imposed here, but I can't attach the same image again :confused: ]

Last edited:
WingZ said:
Actually my S2k is now set up perfectly with suspension upgrades. It no longer bites me on the track and the only thing slowing it down is me not being a better driver ( which I'm working on ). How can the S2k feel like a tank compared to the NSX when the X is at least 250+ lbs:confused: ? Of course for the refinement difference of $60k I do fully expect it to feel different.

I really like the looks of the X and it's rarity hence my reason for wanting to purchase one. I just don't see it's engine as one of it's strong selling points.

It's engine and transmission are superior to the S2000. The S2000 makes no power below 6000RPM, even with forced induction. With the Comptech supercharger, aftercooler and a 7.3psi pulley, my S2000 still has far less usable power than the NSX.

The S2000's steering, handling ability, power curve and just overall "feel" is where my tank comment came from. Hell, even the feel of closing the doors shows how much different the NSX is. It's nowhere near as precise or balanced as the NSX. Like I said, if you're just looking at raw numbers, you're missing the point. The new TL pulls close to the same power as the NSX on a dyno with similar curves (as per the review on ToV), but I can honestly say they don't even feel close.

Ryan

WingZ, you have to put things into perspective.

It just seems like you don't really like the NSX for its engineering/performance, rather its rarity and looks. Actually, re-reading your posts, I think its the only reason you are thinking about purchasing the NSX.

Well, its rare because of the price of admission is high compared to most cars. Also, I would like to point out that there are still alot of owners on this board that bought their NSXs new. With $90K to burn, most of these owners have driven pretty much every single car within that NSX price range, and decided the NSX was the car to get. To me and alot of NSX owners it was well worth it.

I also would never question an NSX owner who also owns an S2000. You really should listen to what Ryan has to say (not me, the other Ryan). :D

Ryan

WingZ. I get the feeling you have not driven a NSX. You should drive a NSX and get to push it a little and then see how you feel. You're judgement/opinions will likely change.

Yeah I haven't driven one and that's probably the problem. I live in the detroit suburbs and I've seen maybe three so far this year on the street and can't find one for sale in or around a hundred miles from me :(

I'm sure I will buy an X I'll just have to have it shipped out to me. I probably feel strongly about my S because it's paid for:D. I don't have to sell it to buy the X ,but I probably will because their similar types (i,e high rpm,ltwt ) of sport performance.

Alot of passion from you guy's about this car and not one comment from someone on the fence about it ( X ) that's very encouraging.

WingZ said:
Yeah I haven't driven one and that's probably the problem. I live in the detroit suburbs and I've seen maybe three so far this year on the street and can't find one for sale in or around a hundred miles from me :(

I'm sure I will buy an X I'll just have to have it shipped out to me. I probably feel strongly about my S because it's paid for:D. I don't have to sell it to buy the X ,but I probably will because their similar types (i,e high rpm,ltwt ) of sport performance.

Alot of passion from you guy's about this car and not one comment from someone on the fence about it ( X ) that's very encouraging.

Hey WingZ...let me tell you bro. I got the chance to drive a '97 X. Remember when you first got into the S and drove it, and it felt hundreds of times better than any other car you've ever driven? Remember feeling that you would never get that kind of joy driving from any other car. guess what? The X takes it even further. You really can't put it into words, and it's hard to describe, but driving this machine is simply awesome. After getting to let the X loose a little bit, I just keep smiling, nodding my head yeah, etc. Got out, thanked my friend over and over again. At that point, I wanted one. I got back in my S which I love SO much, and it felt like it wasn't moving, and I'm DEAD SERIOUS about that feel.

Tom

Wow high praise.

Actually I bought the S because I was ticked at Nissan for delaying my the delivery of my 350Z and Honda was selling the S at invoice since it was end of season.

I've grown quite fond of it since then ,but it's a little tight for me. I'm a hp/tq man and Z's have alway's had that to spare I had to get used to the high rev lt wt thing.

Honda service has been absolutely great another reason it would be hard to let the S go:(

I'e had the chance to owned both a 95' NSX-T and my current 2000 NSX-T. I felt that the 95 is slightly faster during take-off but the 2000 is much smoother if crusing.

Both were manuals and in stock form. The 95' felt stonger, maybe because it only had 5 gears. Prior to the 95' I've purchased a 2002 S2000 as well. Had it for 15K K'ms and sold it because the adrenalin is no where near the X. It's too slow because of high revs line... Get an X, u will never be disappointed!

WingZ, sounds like you are in the market for the wrong car bro. I mean the NSX has torque and power, but if you were in the market for a Z over the S, then perhaps another car is for you?

No I really like the ltwt hi-rev deal now so I'll probably get an old Z32 and keep the S2k until I find a good deal on a X.

I really like the looks of the X so I will stay the course and just keep gathering info to make the best purchase.

What happened on that yellow 03"

WingZ said:
No I really like the ltwt hi-rev deal now so I'll probably get an old Z32 and keep the S2k until I find a good deal on a X.

I really like the looks of the X so I will stay the course and just keep gathering info to make the best purchase.

What happened on that yellow 03"

didn't bother with it man...1.) I don't really want a yellow 2.) my "Spidey" sense went crazy...it just doesn't seem legit you know?

Well S2K are not known for being speed machines.

It's actually going faster than you think it is:D

Of course it's no NSX;)

Back