Apple iPad

We received our iPad yesterday... Good timing since I'm recovering from surgery and welded to the couch.

I like its form factor and ui, but don't think it will replace my paper wsj/nytimes as I was hoping. This is probably old news, but I've found a number of iPhone apps work fine on the iPad... And not always are they indicated as iPad compatible.

A very exciting time in mobile devices right now... It'll be interesting to see "the latest" in 5 years time.

Having had an iPad for several weeks now, I can say that I think most (not all) laptop users would be well served by an iPad. But the iPad isn't a good replacement for those who spend hours on a laptop; the iPad is more for lighter personal use for web surfing, checking e-mail, light typing, etc. Just more of a personal device.

So far I have used my iPad most in bed. Meaning newspaper reading, reading Google or Yahoo News, general web surfing, e-book reading, etc. I do like to be able to read the Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, NY Times, WSJ, Charlotte Observer, any newspaper from the same device. I like paper newspapers probably more than most, but having access to all newspapers trumps that. ABC and Netflix both have excellent apps for the iPad. Zillow and Trulia also have great real estate apps. The iPad can be awkward to hold after awhile; I have found myself wishing it had a kickstand at times so I could prop it up.

Still, I really like it. Printing I don't care so much about; I don't do that much printing and can just use my desktop computer (PowerMac G5) for the little bit of printing I do. My greatest annoyance has been lack of flash support.

I kind of wonder why Apple didn't implement all the great features on iPhone 4 on the iPad. I could see the face chat be something a lot of iPad users would enjoy and all of them have wifi. It is perfect for it.

I guess they are waiting for rev 2, but honestly it looks like they could have easily done it on this device. Its only been 2 months.

I kind of wonder why Apple didn't implement all the great features on iPhone 4 on the iPad. I could see the face chat be something a lot of iPad users would enjoy and all of them have wifi. It is perfect for it.

I guess they are waiting for rev 2, but honestly it looks like they could have easily done it on this device. Its only been 2 months.

A number of years ago, there was a world champion pole vaulter. Every time he broke the world record, he would get a big bonus from his sponsors. If he wanted to, he could have cleared the world record by a foot and a half. But he didn't do this. Every meet, he set a new record by a mere quarter of an inch. Why? Obviously, to get more bonuses.

This is Apple's marketing style. If they wanted to, they could make a "God-device" that included every whiz-bang feature you could possibly want. But then what would be left for v2.0 for the hipsters to buy? Better to just offer continual and incremental improvements, and keep the bonuses flowing in.

A number of years ago, there was a world champion pole vaulter. Every time he broke the world record, he would get a big bonus from his sponsors. If he wanted to, he could have cleared the world record by a foot and a half. But he didn't do this. Every meet, he set a new record by a mere quarter of an inch. Why? Obviously, to get more bonuses.

This is Apple's marketing style. If they wanted to, they could make a "God-device" that included every whiz-bang feature you could possibly want. But then what would be left for v2.0 for the hipsters to buy? Better to just offer continual and incremental improvements, and keep the bonuses flowing in.

I agree, and I also think that this is why Apple is doing so well compared to the other manufacturers. The others will try to cram so many features into a device, but they don't spend the time to make sure those features are working well. What you end up with is a half-baked device with lots of features, which doesn't work so well. A prime example is Windows Vista. They originally planned so many features, but ended up cutting back on them. And still ended up with a poorly executed operating system. They then had to release a new OS that finally had the polish that was missing.

Apple on the other hand takes a core group of features and makes sure that they work. Once they have the basics down, then they start adding more features, making sure that those added features are well integrated and usable.

Why this concept eludes the other manufacturers is beyond me.

I agree, and I also think that this is why Apple is doing so well compared to the other manufacturers. The others will try to cram so many features into a device, but they don't spend the time to make sure those features are working well. What you end up with is a half-baked device with lots of features, which doesn't work so well. A prime example is Windows Vista. They originally planned so many features, but ended up cutting back on them. And still ended up with a poorly executed operating system. They then had to release a new OS that finally had the polish that was missing.

Apple on the other hand takes a core group of features and makes sure that they work. Once they have the basics down, then they start adding more features, making sure that those added features are well integrated and usable.

Why this concept eludes the other manufacturers is beyond me.

Well said brother... well said....

So my father bought my an ipad for an upcoming birthday gift. He was at the Apple store today with my brother and was purchasing one for himself when my brother asked him for one in the form of an early birthday gift. He said ok. And then my brother mentioned me and my father obliged. The thing is....I don't want it.

For you owners, before I go opening the box, what reason should I keep it?
It's the $700 version.

I already own a Kindle.
I refuse to pay for a monthly fee with AT&T just so I can be wireless.
It doesn't have a touchscreen keyboard so typing is not an option on it.

I'm trying my best to come up with a reason for why I should keep it. I'd rather just tell my father to return it.

So my father bought my an ipad for an upcoming birthday gift. He was at the Apple store today with my brother and was purchasing one for himself when my brother asked him for one in the form of an early birthday gift. He said ok. And then my brother mentioned me and my father obliged. The thing is....I don't want it.

It's the $700 version.

I already own a Kindle.

I'm trying my best to come up with a reason for why I should keep it. I'd rather just tell my father to return it.

Return it. I think version 2 will be a lot better. There will also be a bunch of tablets out in the near future that will cost less and offer more.

You should open it and play with it for a month. At the end of the month it'll probably still be worth 90% of it's retail value so put it on Craigslist and dump it if you don't like it.

You don't have to pay AT&T if you don't need 3g and use it as WiFi only. There's tons of free apps and games and books and stuff you can have in minutes to play with.

It's a gift, after all, and so I think you should honor the giver by playing with your new toy. That doesn't obligate you to keep it forever.

Edit add, it will work with any Bluetooth keyboard if that's important to you.

Last edited:

I already own a Kindle.

Three reasons to keep it:

1. You have a Kindle (my condolences).
2. You don't need AT&T to use it via Wifi.
3. It DOES have a touchscreen keyboard which pops up when necessary so you CAN type on it.

Seriously, the darn thing is pretty slick, no matter what anyone else says. 99% of the critics don't even own one. They bought something else and have to convince themselves that whatever they bought is better. Look at some reviews sometime and you will quickly see that most of the "reviewers" don't even own the device they are "reviewing". Don't condemn it without trying it.

I decided to open it and play with it. After a week of use, I realize it is a great travelmate. I've got tons of podcasts, apps, and games to keep me occupied. I also have my Kindle account on it for reading. I did not sign up for the 3G plan since I've been using the WiFi option. I watch netflix movies on it via Wifi. I love the long battery life.
Man, every time I try to get out (away from Apple), they keep pulling me back in.

I try to hate Apple yet I own an ipod, ipod nano, macbook pro, and now the ipad......

Yes, I am a hypocrite.

matt,

what a great endorsement. although don't get too gushy, lest you be called a "fanboi". :rolleyes:

maybe it's not worth it for you to "hate" Apple. just enjoy the ride and their products.

-jim

matt,

what a great endorsement. although don't get too gushy, lest you be called a "fanboi". :rolleyes:

maybe it's not worth it for you to "hate" Apple. just enjoy the ride and their products.

-jim

Don't be a hater:biggrin:

Matt, glad you are enjoying your new toy.

I decided to open it and play with it. After a week of use, I realize it is a great travelmate. I've got tons of podcasts, apps, and games to keep me occupied. I also have my Kindle account on it for reading. I did not sign up for the 3G plan since I've been using the WiFi option. I watch netflix movies on it via Wifi. I love the long battery life.
Man, every time I try to get out (away from Apple), they keep pulling me back in.

I try to hate Apple yet I own an ipod, ipod nano, macbook pro, and now the ipad......

Yes, I am a hypocrite.
we've had our ipad for ~2 months and we love it for what it is... great form factor w/lots of various uses and applications. i recently took it w/me on two short term trips and loved not lugging my sony laptop or squinting to read mail / web pages on my iphone.

we've got a g5 (which i've only used for editing video, photos and itunes), 2 ipods, 2 iphones (i rarely use the phone function but my wife actually uses her phone as a phone - what's up with that!!?) the ipad and a netbook hackintosh.

my daily / personal computer is a win xp laptop don't consider myself a fanbois... but like brylek said, apple makes good gadgets :tongue:

skippy, i loved your "one of us" lines... funny! (i kept looking for the neener-neener-neener follow-on)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2IuEH07xBg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2IuEH07xBg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The win7 pad actually looks pretty good and pretty fast. The iPad is clearly faster with graphics.. pinch zoom etc.

It will be interesting to see all the new tablets coming out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated iPad for xmas with dual camera etc.

It will be interesting to see all the new tablets coming out.
agreed - i think mobile devices (of all types, including tablet types) hit an inflection point over the past year or so and it's gonna be great from this point on.

for those interested in future mobile devices (of all flavors), linuxdevices is a pretty good place to visit.

Back