• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

Re: DIY Turbo kit

I have a kit being installed by me in the next week , I will be sure to post some pics!

Sweet i hope this is my car, cant wait to go pick this car up :biggrin:. BTW I spoke with Angus (WIll) and he has been just spectacular to deal with. I gave him a tight deadline and he is very accommodating. I`ll let you guys know of my thoughts the moment i get the car

I have a kit being installed by me in the next week , I will be sure to post some pics!

sweet!

I went out and got some filming done today, FINALLY. Hopefully I can turn it into something tolerable to watch in the next few days. :cool:

Sweet i hope this is my car, cant wait to go pick this car up :biggrin:. BTW I spoke with Angus (WIll) and he has been just spectacular to deal with. I gave him a tight deadline and he is very accommodating. I`ll let you guys know of my thoughts the moment i get the car

I hope to have your car dropped off tomorrow so I can get to work on it! I am hoping we can get it done by the end of the week!

I had the Angus turbo kit installed approximately 4 weeks ago. The installation went smoothly and was done by a local auto service garage. The installer remarked how the system seemed to be very high quality. After installation I found it very difficult to find a tuner in this area to dyno and tune the car. After many dead ends I was able to locate someone willing to tune the car. It was more difficult to get it tuned than I assumed when purchasing the system. This may just be a geographical anomaly of the area in which I live.
Through all the trials and tribulations, Angus reassured me every step of the way.
I would almost say he baby sat me through the whole process. At times it became very frustrating but Angus was a solid source of knowledge during the whole process.
As we all know the NSX has solid world class looks but the performance does not match its awesome profile. Having owned my 1991 NSX for the last 14 years, I was ready to give it some modern day performance without sacrificing dependability. Having just retired from racing stock cars, midgets and sprint cars over the last ten years I welcomed the increase in horsepower.
I find the new power very satisfying. The car is very smooth and is more enjoyable to drive. The Borla exhaust has a rich, quality sound to it. I am so glad Angus talked me into that particular exhaust system.
Overall I think the kit is a quality system that performs well. I think in my experience, finding a tuner was the biggest hassle that I encountered.

I had the Angus turbo kit installed approximately 4 weeks ago. The installation went smoothly and was done by a local auto service garage. The installer remarked how the system seemed to be very high quality. After installation I found it very difficult to find a tuner in this area to dyno and tune the car. After many dead ends I was able to locate someone willing to tune the car. It was more difficult to get it tuned than I assumed when purchasing the system. This may just be a geographical anomaly of the area in which I live.
Through all the trials and tribulations, Angus reassured me every step of the way.
I would almost say he baby sat me through the whole process. At times it became very frustrating but Angus was a solid source of knowledge during the whole process.
As we all know the NSX has solid world class looks but the performance does not match its awesome profile. Having owned my 1991 NSX for the last 14 years, I was ready to give it some modern day performance without sacrificing dependability. Having just retired from racing stock cars, midgets and sprint cars over the last ten years I welcomed the increase in horsepower.
I find the new power very satisfying. The car is very smooth and is more enjoyable to drive. The Borla exhaust has a rich, quality sound to it. I am so glad Angus talked me into that particular exhaust system.
Overall I think the kit is a quality system that performs well. I think in my experience, finding a tuner was the biggest hassle that I encountered.

What's the final #?

Bryan

I really am glad to have Wil's kit on my car. I was at nsxstock this weekend and the car drove and started like a facory car. We drove probably around 6 hours stopping and starting the cars, and my car was phenominal. No smoke when driving and a very high end kit. Definately met my standards. If I had to do it all over again I would definately buy this kit again. Wil, is a stand up guy and a very good person. Even when you are not spending money with him he will call or text you to see how you are doing even with his busy schedule.
I had my friend install this kit in my garage on jack stands. This kit went on so smooth. The only thing I am doing now and Wil said he addressed this with the new kits is to shorten the dump tube, Definately do your home work on the tuner, I had 5 guys lined up, and when it came to picking a tuner and chose non of them, they spoke a good game but they all had a problem tuning an FIC and wanted me to do a standalone. I finally find the right tuner that tuned the FIC Ralphy from DRT tuning in Yonkers NY. Give him a call he is on AEM's board. He will set you up with the right tuner. All I have to say and I have said many times Wil's kit and customer service is superior. Thanks, Wil for producing this kit. Frank

I was so tempted to get this kit few times and all over again after nsxstock review I got from Bryan. Essentially three factors that are kind of creating problem in head to pull the trigger:

1. Reliability of the car after turbo. Steps to make sure Engine does not blow off for sure. Check list to keep it proper to avoid blaming something else.
2. Tuning (which the MOST critical part) - who, how often, how much etc.
3. approx $ total not just the kit. I learnt you can't just dump a turbo and let your stock car handle with its stock parts(brakes, oil pan, etc). I know they are optional but are they really?

I have a feeling that Wil's kit will have a much greater adaption if these factors are clearly addressed with solid solutions.

I am clear about one thing: If I get a kit then it will be Wil's kit. I am trying to resolve the 'IF' part.

There is lot of information out there and that is one of the problem. More confusion.

I am not trying to be -ve at all here. Just sharing my thoughts. I don't know how many times I annoyed Bryan & Chris (the only people I can trust at this point) on this topic. I almost ran out of $ now...spent on other things but the desire is still there so I can find $ some how if I REALLY want to.

Cheers,
Ram.

Last edited:

I was so tempted to get this kit few times and all over again after nsxstock review I got from Bryan. Essentially three factors that are kind of creating problem in head to pull the trigger:

1. Reliability of the car after turbo. Steps to make sure Engine does not blow off for sure. Check list to keep it proper to avoid blaming something else.
2. Tuning (which the MOST critical part) - who, how often, how much etc.
3. approx $ total not just the kit. I learnt you can't just dump a turbo and let your stock car handle with its stock parts(brakes, oil pan, etc). I know they are optional but are they really?

I have a feeling that Wil's kit will have a much greater adaption if these factors are clearly addressed with solid solutions.

I am clear about one thing: If I get a kit then it will be Wil's kit. I am trying to resolve the 'IF' part.

There is lot of information out there and that is one of the problem. More confusion.

I am not trying to be -ve at all here. Just sharing my thoughts. I don't know how many times I annoyed Bryan & Chris (the only people I can trust at this point) on this topic. I almost ran out of $ now...spent on other things but the desire is still there so I can find $ some how if I REALLY want to.

Cheers,
Ram.

I understand your reservations about reliability and can only tell you that my kit has been quite well proven to be reliable , if on the other hand you choose to push the stock motor into extreme hp , then your risk increases. At less than 375whp , the reliability will be as close to stock as possible.

As far as tuning is concerned , the car should only need to be tuned once , at most I would say maybe one return trip for tweaks after the fact - cost is between $300 - $800

I think grand total is running between $8500 - $12000 depending on how crazy you go , this includes gauges, install, tuning , everything.

I have just completed an install here in my shop , I will be posting details soon.

As far as optional parts, you mention oil pan - this is not needed and truly optional (no other turbo kit requires it) and brakes , this totally depends on your driving , without a turbo people can run the car out of brakes.

The one thing lacking from the NSX is the HP , everything else was over engineeered, the turbo kit just brings the power up to the level of the rest of the car.

I was at the track on Monday with mostly stock brakes (new slotted rotors, cheap pads, SS lines, new fluid) and was amazed how well the brakes held up. I've never stopped that hard EVER on the streets, and I was doing it for 20 minutes at a time over and over without any issues. The only reason I upgraded those parts was specifically because I was expecting to go to the track and didn't want any surprises.

A baffled oil pan shouldn't be necessary for the street (I assume that's what you meant by oil pan).

I've got about $11k into mine, including installation, gauges, custom center console to house them, tuning, upgraded borla exhaust, AN fittings for the oil lines, etc. There were some unexpected expenses like my fuel pump being on the way out and needing to be replaced.

After my experience I'd just say "be prepared to spend more money than you expected".

However, it is all worth it. :biggrin:

With 5 pounds of boost my car produced 358 whp with boost beginning at about 3200 - 3500 rpm and full boost at approximately 4200 rpm. The power is smooth and it feels like the car should have always had this type of power. I think during the process there are times you may think, maybe it will not be worth the trouble but I can assure you that after it is installed you will quickly forget all those little doubts. What more could a car lover want. A car that looks great, sounds great and although not the fastest car out there, it is very, very quick indeed. I don't think my car needs to be the quickest car but I want the performance to reflect the super car appearance that it projects.

still running strong after a year and 7000 miles 380whp 5.5 psi. Still running stock clutch lol

still running strong after a year and 7000 miles 380whp 5.5 psi. Still running stock clutch lol

Hey doc, good to hear your car is doing well and you are enjoying it!

Cosmo... would you mind breaking down your costs? Trying to understand the details of the extra 3-4K.

I was at the track on Monday with mostly stock brakes (new slotted rotors, cheap pads, SS lines, new fluid) and was amazed how well the brakes held up. I've never stopped that hard EVER on the streets, and I was doing it for 20 minutes at a time over and over without any issues. The only reason I upgraded those parts was specifically because I was expecting to go to the track and didn't want any surprises.

A baffled oil pan shouldn't be necessary for the street (I assume that's what you meant by oil pan).

I've got about $11k into mine, including installation, gauges, custom center console to house them, tuning, upgraded borla exhaust, AN fittings for the oil lines, etc. There were some unexpected expenses like my fuel pump being on the way out and needing to be replaced.

After my experience I'd just say "be prepared to spend more money than you expected".

However, it is all worth it. :biggrin:

My install didn't go very smoothly just because of my fuel pump issue. It would've been a **LOT** cheaper for me if I had just put the Walbro on before I tried to install the turbo.

If I could do it again I'd also get the AEM EMS from the start. I don't know about the ability to really tune the FIC properly without being able to monitor the fuel trims.

• $300 or so for gauges
  • $150 (I think) for the braided oil lines with fittings
  • $500+? New fuel pump - Added an inline pump to get it working then I had that taken off and replaced the flakey in-tank one with a Walbro a couple months later. So I paid for 2 fuel pumps and installations and have no idea how much the total for that is.
  • $30 cheapo fuel pressure gauge
  • $800 for my custom gauge console (yeah I got ripped off ;)
  • $75 newer style rear sway bar
  • $180 Boomslang harness for FIC
  • $800 turbo kit install
  • $80 Oil Change
  • $600 or so for tuning (the first time.)
  • $900 Tuning the 2nd time. (after new fuel pump, and to smooth out the AFR a bit and create the o2 sensor map)
  • $175 borla muffler
  • $?? new fuel filter + installation*
  • $? Boost Controller
  • $25 Spark Plugs (since replaced with the NSX-R platinums @ about $75)
  • $? Fuel Pressure Regulator*
* probably wouldn't have been necessary if we had known the fuel pump was bad before doing all that first.

My install didn't go very smoothly just because of my fuel pump issue. It would've been a **LOT** cheaper for me if I had just put the Walbro on before I tried to install the turbo.

If I could do it again I'd also get the AEM EMS from the start. I don't know about the ability to really tune the FIC properly without being able to monitor the fuel trims.

• $300 or so for gauges
  • $150 (I think) for the braided oil lines with fittings
  • $500+? New fuel pump - Added an inline pump to get it working then I had that taken off and replaced the flakey in-tank one with a Walbro a couple months later. So I paid for 2 fuel pumps and installations and have no idea how much the total for that is.
  • $30 cheapo fuel pressure gauge
  • $800 for my custom gauge console (yeah I got ripped off ;)
  • $75 newer style rear sway bar
  • $180 Boomslang harness for FIC
  • $800 turbo kit install
  • $80 Oil Change
  • $600 or so for tuning (the first time.)
  • $900 Tuning the 2nd time. (after new fuel pump, and to smooth out the AFR a bit and create the o2 sensor map)
  • $175 borla muffler
  • $?? new fuel filter + installation*
  • $? Boost Controller
  • $25 Spark Plugs (since replaced with the NSX-R platinums @ about $75)
  • $? Fuel Pressure Regulator*
* probably wouldn't have been necessary if we had known the fuel pump was bad before doing all that first.

so you spent extra 3000 dollars just for labor and first tune. No wonder mine only cost 7000 dollars included 1000 dollars tune. I run aem ems too

Thanks Guys for posting this info up so people can see the total $$$

Just wanted to include a more realistic "if nothing else is wrong with your car wrong quote" :

-$6795 turbo kit (includes BOV, FIC, injectors, Boomslang harness)

- $400 or so for gauges

- $300 Gauge install

- $100 Gauge pod

- $1000 turbo kit install

- $80 Oil Change

- $400 for tuning

- Grand total $9075

This is very close to the out the door price of the kit that was just completed here (in three days).

Last edited:

Do people that add a meth kit later remove the intercooler? Or do you use both?

Great info guys - Thank you everybody who contributed to answer my questions. Makes things much more clear. One more question not that it matters much but > How long will it take to complete the install in hrs?

How long will it take to complete the install in hrs?

The install averages 6-8hrs. not including electronics. The one that was done last in my shop took two of us less than 4hrs.

This kit was specifically designed to be very easy to install.

I still have the discounted kit , if anyone is interested please PM me.

I have not forgot about you Will!!! When I go turbo you'll be getting a call :smile:

I have not forgot about you Will!!! When I go turbo you'll be getting a call :smile:

No problem Blaine , I'll be here when you are ready!

Back