• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

Re: DIY Turbo kit !

Is it just me or is that oil line dangerously close to the ground? I shudder to think what would happen if a rock jumped up and put a hole in it or you scraped it on a speedbump/driveway. All your engine oil would come shooting out wouldn't it?

I agree and was about to say the same. I think that hose should run over the pipe rather than under.

Is it just me or is that oil line dangerously close to the ground? I shudder to think what would happen if a rock jumped up and put a hole in it or you scraped it on a speedbump/driveway. All your engine oil would come shooting out wouldn't it?

It may be hard to tell by the angle of the photo , but the rear bumper would be torn off the car before the hose would touch the ground , and even the impact of a rock would just bounce off the rubber hose .

You CANNOT run the hose over the charge pipe . Others have made this mistake and learned from it.

This line can be easily upgraded to a braided stainless line for those who are paranoid.

It's not just you. I'd be overwhelmingly tempted to run that over the charge pipe.

If you run it over the charge pipe it creates a "p" trap , causing the oil to back up in the turbo.

Re: DIY Turbo kit

Ok I'm in. :: throws a pile of money on the table ::

I love following this thread!! its

Hey people , just a reminder that my special sept. pricing will end in two days! Anyone who is interested please contact me before the pricing goes back to normal (which is still a steal).

Thanks,
Wil

Maybe I'll actually be able to sleep tonight. I haven't felt like this since the day I bought my car. :biggrin:

Congratulations Cozmo! Your kit should be ready next week , I will keep you posted!

You will be the first to get a kit with cats!

Forgive my ignorance, but what's this news about cats? Specifically CA? Thank you.

Tai

It wouldn't make you legal in California whatsoever, but it should let people that live in states that require you to pass an emissions sniff test get one of these kits and be able to register their cars :biggrin:. Well at least that's the theory. Someone told me I'd probably be able to pass in this state without cats at all but I'm not about to try it.

I'm not really sure how this reduces emissions (see diagram below) but I'm willing to make the sacrifice if that's what it takes.

exhaust-cats.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist. :tongue:

Yes , the cats should allow you to pass the emissions sniff test , you may want to consider swapping the cats out for daily driving , the V-band clamp on the exhaust will allow you to change systems in minutes.

I don't know if the addition of cats will allow you to pass ca. emissions , I think most people just take the mods off and put them back on every two years .

This system is perfect for those who wish to do this , removing and reinstalling the whole cradle assembly will take undr an hour!

If anyone would like to see my kit with different options as far as intercooler , possibly air / water or otherwise - or any other different parts for that matter - I would like to hear your input as to what you want to see.

Please feel free to drop me a PM

Thanks Doc for the input.

I would like to make point here about turbo kits .

There seems to be some misconception here about what is a "kit" and what is not. I Have built honda / acura turbo kits for over 10 years and I have seen many people try it too .

In my opinion , a "kit" is something that shows up on your doorstep 100% complete and ready to bolt on , THERE ARE VERY FEW PEOPLE in the NSX community who provide this.

Building a "turbo kit" (from my perspective) requires a lot more than making some parts and then replicating them and sending them out , you need to go through a long process of test fittings and alterations and more test fittings on various different cars before you can offer parts that will fit , this process can take months if not years (especially if you have a shop to run in the meantime) .

There is no doubt in my mind that the vendors offering tubo kits here are excellent people with great skills and could provide fantastic service in person , it is just that working with people over the internet is a different ball game .

I am not trying to say that my kit is the best kit out there.

I am trying to say that it is one of the few real "kits" out there.

There are a lot of people who say I should have built this , and that into my kit , these are mostly things that would make the kit either:

- more expensive with no HP gained

- harder to install

- harder for me to accurately build (so every part fits , every time)

- add more weight to the car

- increase the possibility of a failure of some type

In creating my turbo kit , I built at least 5 local turbo NSX's before even considering sending a kit out to anyone , even then I had 1 or 2 times when a part did not fit perfectly ( these were small issues and were resolved long ago)

This kit is the only one that is specifically designed to be easy to install and provide world class looks , quality and POWER .

So , as I said in my above posting , if anyone else has suggestions on what different designs they would like to see I invite you to drop me a PM , or post here , and I will see what I can do to provide what you are looking for.

Thanks everyone,

Wil.

I think maybe the word "KIT" itself is part of the problem. It sounds like "kit car". Perhaps a term like "turbo system" would be more appropriate. System implies that it is a well thought out end to end solution, whereas a kit is a bunch of pieces thrown together.

I also think that having the big DIY up there in the title of the thread isn't doing you any favors either. Clearly things have changed quite a bit from your first post and evolved into a complete system rather than a "DIY add the rest of the stuff you'll need to make it work KIT"

I think perhaps starting a new thread with the current turbo system (with a name!) with all the info and pictures on the first page would help a lot. Right now you have to read through pages and pages of stuff to figure it all out, which lots of people are probably too lazy to do.

Last edited:

I think maybe the word "KIT" itself is part of the problem. It sounds like "kit car". Perhaps a term like "turbo system" would be more appropriate. System implies that it is a well thought out end to end solution, whereas a kit is a bunch of pieces thrown together.

I also think that having the big DIY up there in the title of the thread isn't doing you any favors either. Clearly things have changed quite a bit from your first post and evolved into a complete system rather than a "DIY add the rest of the stuff you'll need to make it work KIT"

I think perhaps starting a new thread with the current turbo system (with a name!) with all the info and pictures on the first page would help a lot. Right now you have to read through pages and pages of stuff to figure it all out, which lots of people are probably too lazy to do.

I have thought about starting a new thread for the "kit" , I think you have the opposite idea of the word "kit" , as I stated "turbo kit" is what I am selling , "turbo system" is maybe what others are selling.

My idea of a KIT is something that is COMPLETE and can be installed by almost anyone with basic knowledge and tools.

I WANT people to know that they can do a "DIY" install on this kit successfully and that it has been done by many members of prime .

The happy owners of my turbo kit who have completed "DIY" installs should be a testament to how easy it is.

I think the problem with "turbo system" is that a system can describe any one of the projects (which are one offs) that we have seen from other members here , a lot of which are great - BUT NOT KITS! - again a kit requires ahuge amount of work on the part of the vendor - do you know how hard it is to replicate a part like the Y-pipe so that it fits the same every time? Or how about making the exhaust tips line up perfectly on every car?

Originally I offered the "tuner" kit because that is what some people had asked for , and I soon found out that people wanted a "complete kit" and since I had already provided this to local customers it really was no problem to offer a complete kit.

Thank you for your input and I will be thinking about ways to improve the information on the "kit":wink:

Wil

Last edited:

I have thought about starting a new thread for te "kit" , I think you have the opposite idea of the word "kit" , as I stated "turbo kit" is what I am selling , "turbo system" is maybe what others are selling.

My idea of a KIT is something that is COMPLETE and can be installed by almost anyone with basic knowledge and tools.

I WANT people to know that they can do a "DIY" install on this kit successfully and that it has been done by many members of prime .

Wil; You asked for advice and Cozmo gave it to you.
I too think that "kit" demeans the value of what you have accomplished.

Follow the advertising trends of Comptech,Vortech, and all the established large supercharger or turbocharger companies. Do they sell kits or systems or what ? I honestly dont know. They have it figured out.

As far as the kit itself a watercooled turbo should be an option.
Perhaps a stainless mount assembly.
And IMO it needs a Walbro fuel pump option.
Are 550 injectors the same price as 440's ? That would leave some room for those wanting to build their engine down the road and not have to replace injectors at that time.

Wil; You asked for advice and Cozmo gave it to you.
I too think that "kit" demeans the value of what you have accomplished.

Follow the advertising trends of Comptech,Vortech, and all the established large supercharger or turbocharger companies. Do they sell kits or systems or what ? I honestly dont know. They have it figured out.

As far as the kit itself a watercooled turbo should be an option.
Perhaps a stainless mount assembly.
And IMO it needs a Walbro fuel pump option.
Are 550 injectors the same price as 440's ? That would leave some room for those wanting to build their engine down the road and not have to replace injectors at that time.

Sorry guys , I didn't mean to offend anyone , especially not cozmo! I meant it when I thanked him for the advice!

As far as who calls them what , I see that vortech calls them systems , other companies call them kits , I only said that in my opinion a kit is complete and shipable / installable at home etc.

As far as your questions for my kit pertaining to "options" , I do offer all of the things you mentioned as options, I guess I just never advertised it!

As I said , the kit is the way it is because it offers what I see as the best balance between form , function , ease of install and price vs. power.

As far as injectors , I offer 440's and 660's , 440's are the largest that I like to run with the FIC , and have supported up to 475whp so far. I will even offer people a trade in on their 440's if they max them out later on.

I can supply the kit with a walbro pump if desired but the stock pump will easily handle most peoples' needs , the walbro is also not as reliable as the OEM one.

I just want to let people see that a turbo kit can be done by almost anyone successfully.

waiting for PM Angus.

Congratulations Cozmo! Your kit should be ready next week , I will keep you posted!

You will be the first to get a kit with cats!

With Cats will you pass smog sniff test or just visual? There are places where you can pay extra and they pass you anyway right?

Also what is this part for? Boomslang plug and play harness ($180)
What type of guages should you have to monitor AEM UEGO Gauge and what else?

Last edited:

So I further read the thread and you say that :

I don't know if the addition of cats will allow you to pass ca. emissions , I think most people just take the mods off and put them back on every two years .

This system is perfect for those who wish to do this , removing and reinstalling the whole cradle assembly will take undr an hour!

This is easy enough for me. So every 2 years all I have to do is what that takes and hr ? Take what off and add what to pass CA smog test?
Man I cant believe I missed this whole thread before today...

With Cats will you pass smog sniff test or just visual? There are places where you can pay extra and they pass you anyway right? Also what is this part for? Boomslang plug and play harness ($180)
What type of guages should you have to monitor AEM UEGO Gauge and what else?

You may want to contact some locals to confirm this as I do not know for sure about who can pass you.

The boomslang harness allows the AEM FIC to plug and play without splicing and dicing your harness - with this part - install takes 5 min , without - 2 hrs.

Recommended gauges are boost and UEGO.

So I further read the thread and you say that :

This is easy enough for me. So every 2 years all I have to do is what that takes and hr ? Take what off and add what to pass CA smog test?
Man I cant believe I missed this whole thread before today...

As far as this is concerned , you would remove the cradle assembly , plug the oil lines , and re install the OEM muffler and cats.

Last edited:
Back