Anyone ever consider stepping up to a 360?

From what I understand, 911 engine is bullet proof, it other parts that worries people. I know many 150k miles 911/tubot and the owners are very happy because they hardly even encounter any major mechanical issues. That said, I'm still not a 911 fan, I always thought they are ugly, but the new 997 GT3 is changing my mind.

It's actually nuts to buy cars new. If you insist on having new cars, more power to you but financially, it's a bad move. An 05 NSX won't wholesale for more than low 60's. Gets expensive really fast.

Now, if you can get a new Ferrari at MSRP, you're golden. You'll be able to turn around and sell your car used at a profit (even with miles) and you won't have to worry about depreciation for at least two or three years. But the problem is that you can't just go in and buy a new Ferrari and you can't even get on a waiting list unless you already have a relationship with the dealership.

Meeyatch: Have you ever checked on Porsche service schedules and cost? It's not cheap! I don't think you can really beat a newer NSX for reliability. They've had a long time to perfect the NSX. :)

It's only nuts if you buy it and turn around and sell it a few months or a year later. Plus why would anyone sell their car at wholesale that just makes the dealer rich.:confused:

Not trying to stir up anything here as everyone has his/her rationale. Being a businessman, I have gotten where i am today by not paying full price. As you may know you can't just walk into a Ferrari Dealership and buy a new Ferrari.

Anyways, a true car enthusiast will find a way to get into what he wants, whether it's new or used. To me it just doesn't make sense buying full retail when you can get the same thing 2 years later for roughly half price. Unless you plan on keeping your car forever, under a car cover in the garage and never drive it, why buy new. Don't even get me started on those who paid $100k over sticker when the New Ford GT came out.

No poser here, I have several cars in my collection, see my profile, just a car enthusiast at heart.

BTW---I am usually in and out of most cars every 6 months to a year and usually break even or make a little (try doing that with new cars)--it's just a hobby not a business

I'm sorry chief I shouldn't have taken your comments that way it's just that some of these threads have been inviting posers ( people buying cars for status not to enjoy ). I used to have to buy used Z's because I couldn't afford one new ,but I didn't think I was better than someone who paid the same for a new car. Not saying you are ,but we have people who come here and do that.

Threads here are odd. Again this is the problem that Honda constantly faces and the reason why they probably don't care or read anything here or care about pleasing us with their next sportscar. Owners and trolls are starting to look alike and this imitation Ferrari thing is really an insult. If Honda had wanted to make an imitation or knock off Ferrari they could have easily and they would've made it a V8. Why make an imitation with a V6? Also and again for those of you who don't know car time lines when Honda was making the NSX the 348 wasn't around only the 328. Honda says that in comparison they used several cars against their prototype one of those cars was a 328.

Now correct me if I'm wrong ,but the NSX looks notihng like the 328 WHICH if they had been making a imitation Ferrari it would have. When the 348 was released magazines said "Wow the greatest Ferrari yet!" and so forth. It was a drivers car , had great stability , handling and so on , but the NSX release blew that car out of the water and it had less everything. Less hp smaller wheels and tires and yet still people were amazed that Honda made an exotic ( not a Ferrari copy ) and it's first try out the box blew Ferrari who had years more expertise in the field out of the water. But because it's "Asian" they can't price it like Ferrari and people get back on their soap boxes and say "It doesn't have heritage and breeding doesn't sound or feel like a prancing horse"

Honda for all the ground breaking it made with the NSX still faces the same doubts from the public and even NSX owners with their latest concept. They say the same things now about the ASC that people were saying about the NSX back in the late 80's. Oh well. Again sorry for venting on you JV and nice collection any enthusiast would be overwhelmed to have such nice pieces to enjoy!

I think this conversation is far above my income bracket.

I'm almost one foot in an NSX, but I think I'll have to make a lot of sacrifices (wild nights out, five meals a day, etc... :smile:) if I get into one. Imo, if you can afford a 360, you can probably afford to own an early NSX at the same time and have it as a daily driver.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Ferrari's, but I've never owned one, nor do I think I ever really might own one, unless something in my life changes very drastically. My question is... anyone hiring??? :smile: :smile: :smile:

I think this conversation is far above my income bracket.

I'm almost one foot in an NSX, but I think I'll have to make a lot of sacrifices (wild nights out, five meals a day, etc... :smile:) if I get into one. Imo, if you can afford a 360, you can probably afford to own an early NSX at the same time and have it as a daily driver.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Ferrari's, but I've never owned one, nor do I think I ever really might own one, unless something in my life changes very drastically. My question is... anyone hiring??? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Believe me, I never thought I would ever own a Ferrari, or most of the cars I have had in the last 5 years. 10 years ago I thought my Nissan Maxima SE was all that, 15 years ago it was my Mitsubishi EclipseGS. Just wait and you will never know. 7 years ago my dream car was a Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster. It's funny how your dream car becomes old and no longer a dream car--I guess all car guy's go through this constant in and out of car syndrome.

I'm sorry chief I shouldn't have taken your comments that way it's just that some of these threads have been inviting posers ( people buying cars for status not to enjoy ). I used to have to buy used Z's because I couldn't afford one new ,but I didn't think I was better than someone who paid the same for a new car. Not saying you are ,but we have people who come here and do that.

Oh well. Again sorry for venting on you JV and nice collection any enthusiast would be overwhelmed to have such nice pieces to enjoy!

No offense taken

...Meeyatch: Have you ever checked on Porsche service schedules and cost? It's not cheap! I don't think you can really beat a newer NSX for reliability. They've had a long time to perfect the NSX. :)

Checked on it? I know it by heart almost. In our family we have had Porsches before and know what they cost to fix, but it is all relative. Sure, getting a $120 oil change on the 911 C4 is not pleasant, but the thing drinks something ridiculous like over 10 quarts of Mobil One!! The thing is, I would get in the 911 and drive across country feeling pretty secure in the fact that the car would make the drive without major incident, and be capable of over 100,000 miles as well. From what I have experienced from Ferrari and Lamborghini, the comfort level would not be that high. That said...there is just something about the look and sound of a Ferrari. The feeling you get from driving one or just looking at all of the truly inspried lines in the design is something unmatched with most other cars. A Ferrari reminds me of an art sculpture on wheels. The car is just amazing. It is a car that you buy for passion and inspiration....logic is generally not in play. ;)

<snip> I agree with others that the NSX is the inexpensive Ferrari alternative until you can afford the real deal.
not everyone who "can afford the real deal." wants one. (although most of the owners seem to have really pretty jackets and caps :)

If the Ferrari was just a sunday car, I would like one, but I daily drive my NSX and I've never seen anyone do that with a Ferrari.

I get an oil change every 8 weeks and being that the closest Ferrari dealer is about 2-3 hours away, I think I would get tired of it quick. (My Acura dealer is 10 minutes away).

test drove one...chose the NSX...not a step up IMHO

I love ferraris, but I think they are meant for people in the 40s-50s; people who have worked hard half of their lives and can afford to enjoy a little.

I'm still in the work hard phase of my life and am fortunate to have the NSX.

I'm planning on moving up to a nicer house so maybe in my late 50's I will want one. By that time, I'm sure Ferraris will be a lot reliable. There is no doubt the cars they are building is going up in quality.

We all do what we want. I will take an Aston Martin DB9 over a 360 though. :tongue:

most people don't spend more than the cost of a nice house on a car to pose or because they have a small penis (200,000 bucks could make you hung like a horse, i'd imagine). they spend it cause they like driving.
Holy crap, where are you buying a nice house for $200K!! That'll get you a 1/4 acre of dirt around here. :eek:

As for the poster's 360 question. I am strongly considering one along with a 4-wheeled member of Meryl Lynch's kin... in the nearish future. At this point in my life, though I could afford it, it would certainly not be a practical way to direct my capital. A few decent returns down the road and I'll probably step into one. I think it's a great choice and a wonderful compliment to the NSX.

When the time comes that I can afford the maintenace that goes in owning a 360 - then I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Ferrari is a Ferrari..there's nothing that would make me happy than to see them both(nsx) in my garage....a porsche GT3
and a murcielago would be nice ..but it's probably asking for too much...:biggrin:

Last edited:
When the time comes that I can afford the maintenace cost of owning a 360 - then I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Ferrari is a Ferrari..there's nothing that would make me happy than to see them both in my garage....a porsche GT3
and a murcielago is probably asking too much...:biggrin:

I totally agree...Here are a few pics of Tim's 360 Stradale Challenge. He traded his 99 Zanardi for it and has nothing but praise for the car. He tracked both cars and at Road America in the Zanardi can touch 140+ in the 360 he's pushing it to 160mph. In his words the car is just unreal.....if that car was in my price range I would take one in a second.

Last edited:
There's nothing like the experience of a 360CS at full gallop. Trust me. I agree with NSX 3.0, if I could afford it I'd have one right now.

You guys should consider the F355 then. Sell your NSX as it would make a nice down payment on one. Engine wise it's only a 20hp difference. Ferrari didn't make as big a difference with their 20hp increase as Honda did from what I've read 0-60 and other times are very close and should be acceptable if performance is your goal. Plus the F355 sounds better!

You guys should consider the F355 then. Sell your NSX as it would make a nice down payment on one. Engine wise it's only a 20hp difference. Ferrari didn't make as big a difference with their 20hp increase as Honda did from what I've read 0-60 and other times are very close and should be acceptable if performance is your goal. Plus the F355 sounds better!

While I do agree with your comment that the F355 sounds better than the 360, the 360 feels much quicker than the F355. I have driven both, and if I could make the 360 sound like an F355 it would be the perfect Ferrari. Mix in the NSXs reliability and you have the perfect sports car.

While I do agree with your comment that the F355 sounds better than the 360, the 360 feels much quicker than the F355. I have driven both, and if I could make the 360 sound like an F355 it would be the perfect Ferrari. Mix in the NSXs reliability and you have the perfect sports car.

Sorry not trying start anything I know what you Ferrari guys are like...LOL

So is this something you guys are going to do. Life is too short to just "settle".

To me, 6 figure cars are not much fun to own or drive on public roads.
I went the other direction and am having a blast!
(I guess my ego does not need the boost)
The thought of getting rear ended, or worse makes driving super high value
cars a lot less fun for me. But to each his own. I admire 100k+ cars, but would never again consider owning one. Too nerve racking driving with all the Starbucks, cell phone, Zombies out there.
Food for thought.........

A freind of mine just sold his F430 after owning it for almost 2 years and putting 7800 miles on it.
As he said, he only lost 40 grand over the 2 years.
He thought he did pretty good....I laughed......

I'll stick with the NSX......

Last edited:
A freind of mine just sold his F430 after owning it for almost 2 years and putting 7800 miles on it.
As he said, he only lost 40 grand over the 2 years.
He thought he did pretty good....I laughed......

I'll stick with the NSX......

Was the F430 new when he bought it? If so that doesn't seem all that bad though I thought the depreciation would not be that high.

Yes, he bought it new.
7800 miles for 40 grand is $5.12 a mile driving cost.
This didn't include gas or insurance. His insurance was $3500.00 a year.
He had no maintenance issues to this point, unseen or scheduled other than oil changes that was money out of pocket.

Was the F430 new when he bought it? If so that doesn't seem all that bad though I thought the depreciation would not be that high.

Back