Anyone ever consider stepping up to a 360?

I would love to step up to a 360 modena if I had money, I think its a great looking car. but If I bought the 360, I would be dreaming of the f430 instead!!!:biggrin: Too many cars and not enough money!!!

Dave did not have a CTSC, it was a BBSC :frown:

All I know is this I had no problems with the engine in my NSX. I did however have major problems with the C/C system and also had to replace the window regulators along with other minor problems. Had I not had the extended warranty I would have not had a fun ownership experience with my NSX. Don't get me wrong here I really love the NSX it's design is one of the best in history IMO....BUT

A Ferrari 360 stock, the way it comes from the factory, is the same as a CTSC NSX when it comes to problems. Ask Dave.... netviper, or look for one of his threads when he bought Andy's super fast NSX. Super fast equals problems plain and simple.......SO

I would much rather have a stock Ferrari 360 than a NSX with a CTSC. If I am going to have a problematic car I might as well have the one with the flashy nameplate on the hood. I also am unsure of my next comment, but if a CTSC voids the warranty on the NSX then I certainly would not want to have one for sure. I don't mean voids the warranty to the extent it covers none of the car or just portions of the car. What I do mean is if the car is being finicky because of the SC and Acura has installed the CTSC then Acura pays to make the car run properly over and over again. Much like Ferrari would pay to make their finicky car that is under warranty run right. Although I hardly ever add any content to Prime that has any value, that is unless you like humor, I do in fact read almost everything that is posted. I see time after time those threads of people who have made their cars faster and I also see those people posting about how this part and that part is now broken or how their car has been in the shop for months. I really prefer to drive my cars the way they come from the factory so that it is the factorys problems when the car breaks. At that point they can fix it and give me something else to drive while they are fixing it.......HENCE

My decision to buy the SL55 was easy. Super high horsepower, lots of torque. I can pound the crap out of the car and even break it and it is Mercedes problem to fix the car if I do break it, because THEY put the SC on it not me. It is the way it came from the factory and it is their problem not mine. BTW I have only had one problem with my SL so far, and it was torque related too, something that would not have been covered on a CTSCed NSX.

You guys really need to compare apples to apples if you are going to answer the question that started this thread. It seems this question comes up often on Prime and it is always answered with....I would buy the NSX but I would add....blah blah blah. SO the real question is stock to stock what do you want, oh and both cars are brand new with a warranty.

Dave did not have a CTSC, it was a BBSC :frown:

I could say that I didn't say Dave had a CTSC but I sure did imply it. Fact is I thought he did have a CTSC and that is what I meant. Either way a SC is a bolt on aftermarket part on a NSX that did not come that way from the factory. IMO that equals problems.

I remember hearing or maybe thinking that the CTSC could be installed on a new NSX right at the dealer but I don't know for sure. I also remember thinking that if that were the case then the dealer would warranty the car fully? Is that the case?

I did a super hard launch with my SL55 and broke 7k worth of parts on the rear suspension, something to do with the active body control. If I had done this with a SCed car where I installed the SCer the dealer would not have covered the repair.

Maybe it is my age catching up with me but I just don't see the benefit of modifying cars anymore, even wheels for that matter. I like to buy the cars the way I want them right from the factory. I also think aftermarket parts depreciate very quickly and really don't give me enough joy for what I have paid for them. BUT if I did buy another 91-94 NSX I would have to change the factory 15"-16" wheels for sure.

About a year ago, I was looking really hard at the 360.

While I don't mind fine tuning and fiddling with cars to keep them at top performance, I'll have to admit the NSX has me spoiled. After 6 years of ownership, the maintance costs have been reasonable and there have been zero problems or failures. Having talked to alot of terrific Ferrari owners that really love their cars, they have all said not to expect the same kind of reliability or relatively inexpensive maintanace costs with a 360. It's not good, it's not bad...it just is.

The things that caused me to press the pause button on the whole thing (at least for a while) is am I getting that much more performance for the extra amount of money I'd have to chip in and can I keep the maintance costs in perspective after dealing with the NSX these past years.

Hopefully, Mike (Chromatose) will give his thoughts on his decision..he almost had me ready to pull the trigger!

did it 2 months ago and no looking back. Yes, the NSX is a good car but it's lacking that certain thing you get with a Ferrari that you just can put into words. Until you own a Ferrari you will understand. Also, I am not sure if it's my age (37) but I cant stand modded and bling'd out cars. I know it's a personalized thing to do, but it is so overdone these days. It just really takes away from a stock car in both value and looks.

There is a lot of Ferrari owners that went from a NSX into a Ferrari, it's just a stepping stone when you are a true car enthusiast and have the funds to do so. I am also seeing the true enthusiasts buying up the 2002-2005 and keeping them stock while the earlier NSX's are heavily modded as the younger Honda and Acura crowd are able to get into the NSX in the $20's.

seriously which would you rather have? For me, its an easy choice. Not that I don't like the 360. But that car is mostly about posing...

That's what I thought about you guys owning a NSX...just posing...trying to compensate for something smaller.

Or maybe you just have low self esteem and you think a car will build you up. How about you guys hit the gym instead. Just because you have a loud aftermarket exhaust, it won't make you a man.

Guess what I did as soon as I could afford one...I went out and bought one (NSX). :biggrin:

So, I agree entirely with the statement...the 360 is mostly about posing.

....of course, that's until I could afford one and park it in my garage! :tongue:

That's what I thought about you guys owning a NSX...just posing...trying to compensate for something smaller.

Or maybe you just have low self esteem and you think a car will build you up. How about you guys hit the gym instead. Just because you have a loud aftermarket exhaust, it won't make you a man.

Guess what I did as soon as I could afford one...I went out and bought one (NSX). :biggrin:

So, I agree entirely with the statement...the 360 is mostly about posing.

....of course, that's until I could afford one and park it in my garage! :tongue:

most people don't spend more than the cost of a nice house on a car to pose or because they have a small penis (200,000 bucks could make you hung like a horse, i'd imagine). they spend it cause they like driving.

it's easy to spot one that is a poser though.... ask them about their car.... lots of times they won't even know what model it is, except that it's "a porsche/mercedes/bmw

:eek: I would say that most of us could afford to spend $125-200k on a car. I don't understand the "logic" of spending that kind of money on a car.

I know, "logic" would have us all driving an Accord.

I have a buddy that bought 3 F cars from 200-2003, and he kept them all. He spent approximately $275k on is cars.

During the same time period, I bought 6 houses in Hawaii, and my nsx.:rolleyes: He sold 1 of his cars, and keeps the other 2 garaged, because he's afraid that people will think he's a poser, which he isn't.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is the economics of owning an NSX more than makes up for not having an F car. Try selling an F car with 70+k miles on it, good luck, most F car purchasers won't touch it.

Just my opinion, guess I'll have another Johnny Walker Blue.:cool:

As an 02+ owner I wouldn't consider an F360 stepping up. We've had this discussion before and it still hasn't changed the fact that for the money the performance difference is negligible. Most NSX owners have much older models so maybe it's upgrade to them. NA2 coupe pretty much matches the F360 move by move. I just wish they had offered an 02+ coupe to make it more of an even comparison.

Also considering to buy a used car because you don't like a concept is rather short sighted. Threads like this make me wonder do a lot of NSX owners buy the car just because they couldn't afford a Ferrari , which a lot of Ferrari owners contend. People here keep saying the NSX is/was their "dream car" ,but is it just their "affordable dream" and not their true dream car? I ask this because the NSX was never my dream car ( Neither were any Ferraris though:biggrin: ) ,but I feel like I stumbled on a pot of gold. I bought a Honda S2000 w/o test driving it and feel in love. I bought the NSX on the S2000 rep and have not been disappointed.

Those who really want a Ferrari should buy one maybe just get a ( ugh ) 348 and work their way up if a Ferrari is what they really want. This way we could get rid of the price posers as Honda made a great car and it deserves better than people who bought it because they couldn't afford a Ferrari:wink:

Last edited:
Nothing I've owned has been a weekend car. I drive mine everyday as my daily driver.

For reference: A 30k service is $2k at a private mechanic, $3k-$4k at a dealership (belts, tranny fluid, oil, etc.). As a weekend car, insurance is not that much more than an NSX (in my experience).

If you weren't so far away, we would be brother ! Specially since we have the same taste in both our cars and virtually hang out in the same places.

The only thing that seperates us is distance....

Two F-s and a Pantera!!! :-)
I wanna party with you, Cowboy! (Bill Murray-Stripes)

I remember hearing or maybe thinking that the CTSC could be installed on a new NSX right at the dealer but I don't know for sure. I also remember thinking that if that were the case then the dealer would warranty the car fully? Is that the case?

YES CTSC can be installed at the dealer and shouldn't void the warranty.

If your looking to "step up" from the nsx. I think the 360 isnt the way to go. Atleast my opinion. There are alot of more rare cars that perform even better than the f-cars. for the cost of a used 360 you could own a used nsx and used viper..... Just doesnt make much sense.

I'm just curious with the news of the next nsx if anyone has considered stepping up to a 360 modena? I know they're expensive to buy, but it sounds like the maintenance doesn't seem to be too bad to keep up on other than the belt service is more frequent. Any thoughts? Has anyone done it? If so, have you regretted it? Did you keep the nsx?

I have been keeping it in the back of my mind to pick up a used F355 or 360 Modena in the coming years when I am more comfortable with the upkeep, but bad experiences with Italian cars and their 'quirks' keep having me consider more reliable stuff like the Porsche 911 GT3. I look at my NSX's with over 100,000 miles each and say, 'What other car can do this and be this much reliable fun with high mileage,' and that is a short list.

The things that still override normal logic are the looks of the Ferrari, and that sound....ohhhh, that sound. I have run flat out in both an F355 and 360 Modena, and anyone who tells you those engines are not pure music must be deaf.

I'm just curious with the news of the next nsx if anyone has considered stepping up to a 360 modena? I know they're expensive to buy, but it sounds like the maintenance doesn't seem to be too bad to keep up on other than the belt service is more frequent. Any thoughts? Has anyone done it? If so, have you regretted it? Did you keep the nsx?

I'm currently in the market for another Exotic. I plan on keeping the NSX for a daily driver and having the F-car or Lambo as a toy. Problem is I can't decide what I want.
355 (early)
Testarossa
Countach (early)
Lotus V8 (maybe?)

My main criteria is that it is on the bottom of its deapreciation so it will hold its value like the NSX.

As an 02+ owner I wouldn't consider an F360 stepping up. We've had this discussion before and it still hasn't changed the fact that for the money the performance difference is negligible. Most NSX owners have much older models so maybe it's upgrade to them. NA2 coupe pretty much matches the F360 move by move. I just wish they had offered an 02+ coupe to make it more of an even comparison.

Also considering to buy a used car because you don't like a concept is rather short sighted. Threads like this make me wonder do a lot of NSX owners buy the car just because they couldn't afford a Ferrari , which a lot of Ferrari owners contend. People here keep saying the NSX is/was their "dream car" ,but is it just their "affordable dream" and not their true dream car? I ask this because the NSX was never my dream car ( Neither were any Ferraris though:biggrin: ) ,but I feel like I stumbled on a pot of gold. I bought a Honda S2000 w/o test driving it and feel in love. I bought the NSX on the S2000 rep and have not been disappointed.

Those who really want a Ferrari should buy one maybe just get a ( ugh ) 348 and work their way up if a Ferrari is what they really want. This way we could get rid of the price posers as Honda made a great car and it deserves better than people who bought it because they couldn't afford a Ferrari:wink:

I went from a 1998 NSX to a 360 and they are worlds apart. 97 thru 05 NSX have the same 3.2 liter engine and 6 speed tranny putting out 290hp. I think the NSX is awesome if you are stepping up from a regular car, but the 360 along with other super cars over $150k new are in another ballpark. I also had a 05 Viper, not as refined as the Ferrari, jumped all over the place, highway strips pulled it all over the place, and the engine/exhaust really heated up the cabin. The v-10 sounded like a truck engine in which it was. I agree with others that the NSX is the inexpensive Ferrari alternative until you can afford the real deal.

I went from a 1998 NSX to a 360 and they are worlds apart. 97 thru 05 NSX have the same 3.2 liter engine and 6 speed tranny putting out 290hp. I think the NSX is awesome if you are stepping up from a regular car, but the 360 along with other super cars over $150k new are in another ballpark. I also had a 05 Viper, not as refined as the Ferrari, jumped all over the place, highway strips pulled it all over the place, and the engine/exhaust really heated up the cabin. The v-10 sounded like a truck engine in which it was. I agree with others that the NSX is the inexpensive Ferrari alternative until you can afford the real deal.

The NSX made the 360 what it is. So the F360 to me will always be an imitation. Nice I'm sure I've been around some ,but don't feel they're worth the extra money or maintenance since I like to track my cars. Oh and as far as your "afford the the real deal" BS comment I paid cash for my brand new NSX and brand M3 in the same month so buying a new Ferrari isn't all that to me. My feeling if you can really afford a Ferrari you buy one new anything else is just a poser taking someones leftovers :wink:

Oh and as far as your "afford the the real deal" BS comment I paid cash for my brand new NSX and brand M3 in the same month so buying a new Ferrari isn't all that to me. My feeling if you can really afford a Ferrari you buy one new anything else is just a poser taking someones leftovers :wink:

Are you kidding me? Dude a years depreciation on one of my brake rotors is worth all your cars combined. Now that is real money.:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Are you kidding me? Dude a years depreciation on one of my brake rotors is worth all your cars combined. Now that is real money.:rolleyes: :biggrin:

What are you driving Big Steve? Oh and those aren't all my cars:biggrin: Oh hey don't think I'm trying to act like I'm some kinda of baller. It just gets on my nerves that people think people who buy NSX's can't afford a Ferrari or people who buy a used one and act like they've arrived. It's nuts to pay that much for a used car and a toy at that. If they make'em new buy'em new as you never know what happened before you bought it.

It just gets on my nerves that people think people who buy NSX's can't afford a Ferrari or people who buy a used one and act like they've arrived. It's nuts to pay that much for a used car and a toy at that. If they make'em new buy'em new as you never know what happened before you bought it.

Not trying to stir up anything here as everyone has his/her rationale. Being a businessman, I have gotten where i am today by not paying full price. As you may know you can't just walk into a Ferrari Dealership and buy a new Ferrari.

Anyways, a true car enthusiast will find a way to get into what he wants, whether it's new or used. To me it just doesn't make sense buying full retail when you can get the same thing 2 years later for roughly half price. Unless you plan on keeping your car forever, under a car cover in the garage and never drive it, why buy new. Don't even get me started on those who paid $100k over sticker when the New Ford GT came out.

No poser here, I have several cars in my collection, see my profile, just a car enthusiast at heart.

BTW---I am usually in and out of most cars every 6 months to a year and usually break even or make a little (try doing that with new cars)--it's just a hobby not a business

The NSX made the 360 what it is. So the F360 to me will always be an imitation.

I guess you can say that about every supercar today being an imitation of the NSX. I agree the NSX was a ground breaking car, but the NSX was initially created in response to Ferrari exotic cars--one that can be easy to maintain and have the same looks.

BTW-- I love that Blue NSX--that's a keeper!!!

What are you driving Big Steve? Oh and those aren't all my cars:biggrin: Oh hey don't think I'm trying to act like I'm some kinda of baller. It just gets on my nerves that people think people who buy NSX's can't afford a Ferrari or people who buy a used one and act like they've arrived. It's nuts to pay that much for a used car and a toy at that. If they make'em new buy'em new as you never know what happened before you bought it.

It's actually nuts to buy cars new. If you insist on having new cars, more power to you but financially, it's a bad move. An 05 NSX won't wholesale for more than low 60's. Gets expensive really fast.

Now, if you can get a new Ferrari at MSRP, you're golden. You'll be able to turn around and sell your car used at a profit (even with miles) and you won't have to worry about depreciation for at least two or three years. But the problem is that you can't just go in and buy a new Ferrari and you can't even get on a waiting list unless you already have a relationship with the dealership.

Meeyatch: Have you ever checked on Porsche service schedules and cost? It's not cheap! I don't think you can really beat a newer NSX for reliability. They've had a long time to perfect the NSX. :)

Back