Any worries about buying an NSX up north?

People always say dont buy a car form the north because it will have rust all under etc etc. While I have seen this to be true on a lot of cars, has any one experienced it with their NSX?

Im thinking that most NSX drivers from cold regions never driver their baby in the snow/ice roads. I know the frame is aluminum but the exhaust and all that could still rust correct?

I think you need to be mindful of condition regardless whether you're north or south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Salt air and moisture could just as easily wreak havoc with a car, particularly one with a high aluminum content.

I think most NSX owners up north avoid driving in snowy and salty roads, but owners who live near the ocean can't avoid it.

Inspect and check.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

There is very little on the NSX that could rust.

Most NSXs in the north are not driven in winter.

Jimbo is right; condition is most important, not where the car comes from.

Not to mention, many of us that live where snow and salt are present do many things to keep our cars stored far away from harm during the ugly months. I keep mine in a bubble
smile.gif

http://www.funtimeinflatables.com/carcapsule.htm

Aaron
Green/Tan #268

Althought I bought my car in North Carolina, I would actually prefer a northern car (that was stored in the winter) because it probably didn't sit in the hot sun as much as a southern car.

Being a lifelong New Yorker, I have had the sad task of storing my NSX (and its predecessor 300ZX) during the winter months. It seems that most of us up here put it to bed when the first frost comes and it will stay there until the groundhog sees its shadow. I know that mine has never been out of the garage as long as there was snow/slush/salt, etc. on the roads. If you pick up a northern car you may end up with one that was driven only 7 or 8 months a year.

Bob

While I'm clearly not in the majority, I think I can speak from experience. http://www.nsxsc.com/html/body_article27.html No noticeable impact so far. By the way, the white stuff in my avatar is snow .. about 4 inches of fresh stuff! Snapped the picture on the way to work after backing out of the garage.

------------------
91 Blk/Blk daily driver
100K+ miles & still going strong

[This message has been edited by NSX2398 (edited 27 August 2002).]

Thanks for all the replys. My biggest fear are the components that adjust the alignment. When those rust up I have seen it next to impossible to get them to break loose to do an alignment.

I'll check throughly when I go look for mine.

RatedR,

All the suspension components on the NSX are aluminum. Even the fasters are Darco(sp?) with is a metal that is compatible with different metals. I do not think rust will be a problem.

The only concern I see is salt corrosion. Looking for this is the same as looking for rust, so your careful eye will apply to both situations.

I have to say that most folks, as Bob mentioned, have their babies tucked away during those bad weather months.

HTH,
LarryB

I live about as far north as you can go. I live in North Dakota and I never drive my NSX in the rain let alone the snow. I thought I read somewhere that the biggest piece of steel is the steering column, is that true? I thought the exhaust was stainless steel, and stainless should rust right?

Originally posted by PUREVIL:
I live about as far north as you can go. I live in North Dakota

Although I am not aware of any NSX owners in our 49th state, those living in western Canada might dispute your statement...

Back