Any Paypal horror stories??

Just wondering. Some of the other boards I follow get a couple of posts a day with stories of frozen accounts, fraud, etc.
I know they lost a big case in San Francisco a while back.

I recently had a 'problem' with my PayPal account. I was recieving deposits into my account for eBay auctions that I had no knowledge of. Needless to say that neither eBay or PayPal was interested in helping me resolve the matter, and it was up to me. It turned out that the person holding the auctions had listed the wrong email address, as his was similar to mine. No big deal, but I would feel more secure about it if I were able to get more than a generic machine generated response. It also has me wondering if there is a way to un-register your account, if you want to leave the service and erase your info.

I came accross this link a long time ago:
http://www.paypalwarning.com/Default.htm

FWIW, I've been using PayPal successfully for over two years now. IMHO, many of the "horror stories" are just as much the fault of the user as they are of PayPal's.

I too have been using PayPal for a couple years now and never had a problem. I'm careful from who I buy and doing a little reaserch before sending money. Never ship anything until full payment has been received.

I've been using Paypal for a couple years with no problems. In fact their buyer complaint process has been very helpful on 2 occasions when I never received what I paid for. You also can't beat the 1.5% cashback on Paypal debit card purchases.

I have a friend that's been working for Paypal for over 3 years. In the beginning it was kind of a rinky dinky operation. Almost every employee had access to all information and all accounts. Now customer service still sucks, but security is much better.

I am amazed.

The mention of paypal on other boards (mostly techie) will result in an onslaught of negative comments of all shapes and sizes.

My personal experience is mixed. As a seller on ebay paypal has been a pretty good, expensive but good. As a buyer trying to use their "buyer protection" things have not worked out very well. This is the area where most seem to have trouble with them.

I had more of a learning experience than a problem with paypal. Exoticar misprinted the price for the Koysho NSX in their catalog two times in a row as most of you know. I called the first time and they would not sell them to me for the misprinted price. I gave the sales lady my name and took hers as well. The second time they misprinted the price they had to sell them to me for the 29.95 misprint. So I bought their entire inventory. After that I auctioned the models off on ebay. Many of the buyers paid with paypal, and I airborned all of those out right away. One buyer was concerned about the shipping cost and asked that I shipped the model in the least expensive manner. So I shipped his parcel post. After a week he stated he never received the model and canceled his payment through paypal. I did not have a tracking number and there for had no recourse. I do not know if he ever received the package or not but I do know it was sent out. Moral of the story is if you accept paypal use a tracking number or you could be duped.

Back