Another Acura/Honda Supercar Concept at Tokyo Auto Show?

Quotes from Car & Driver:

"Looks like we’re getting another design direction, and not a production version, of the much-anticipated next-gen Acura NSX supercar in Tokyo."

"...senior Honda exec recently told Ward’s Automotive Reports that a second supercar concept will be the headliner for Acura at the Tokyo auto show in October—and not a production NSX as promised in January."

More here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/14098/acura-supercar-concept-part-2.html

Quotes from Car & Driver:

"Looks like we’re getting another design direction, and not a production version, of the much-anticipated next-gen Acura NSX supercar in Tokyo."

"...senior Honda exec recently told Ward’s Automotive Reports that a second supercar concept will be the headliner for Acura at the Tokyo auto show in October—and not a production NSX as promised in January."

More here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/14098/acura-supercar-concept-part-2.html

Now its the waiting game again to see what the tokyo auto show has to offer. Im pretty sure its still going to be front engined tho.

As much as... I don't mind the FR/AWD layout, I still like to see a MR concept.

The 1960's Zager and Evans song "In the Year 2525" is going to be the jingle for the next NSX release. :tongue:

Maybe we didn't get the translation of Shigeru Uehara's toast at NSXPO 2006 right.

Originally it was translated something like:
"May your grandchildren and my grandchildren meet each other diving their NSX."

I think it really was:

"May your grandchildren an my grandchildren still be driving when there is a new NSX". :tongue:

Maybe we didn't get the translation of Shigeru Uehara's toast at NSXPO 2006 right.

I think it really was:

"May your grandchildren an my grandchildren still be driving when there is a new NSX". :tongue:

Thanks for the smile! I remember that, come to think of it maybe the translator pulled a fast one on us. :biggrin:

The 1960's Zager and Evans song "In the Year 2525" is going to be the jingle for the next NSX release. :tongue:

I think it really was:

if i had / knew photoshop, i'd chop a pic of kids wearing diving helmets in an nsx... sounds like a new "yellow submarine" song to me ;)

<sigh>

i've nearly given up on a new nsx in my "driving lifetime".

I am happy they pulled the trigger on the front engine concept. This means I can continue to drive mine for few more years maybe then a mid-engine Honda supercar will spawn.

"As for a V-8 in an Acura sedan anytime soon, the company still seems wed to the idea of skipping this step, and going from its current V-6s to a V-10 in the NSX, with no displacement stops in between—no matter how little sense this seems to make."

hahah

Well it's good that they listened ,but I don't think they're going to WOW anyone with another front engine design. I like/liked the ASCC and still love/loved the HSC ,but was the uproar enough to bring Honda back to a mid engine design is the question. Hopefully they're thinking "sh******t our 3.5 HSC could whoop up on an R8":biggrin: Wouldn't that be great? I know wishful thinking:rolleyes:

It's going to happen all over again. Nissan is going to sell truck load after truck load of skylines [it's finalized] while Honda sells just at the start of a recession. Hopefully I'm wrong, the more they produce the quicker it'll depreciate and the sooner I'll be able to pick one up sensibly.

Well it's good that they listened ,but I don't think they're going to WOW anyone with another front engine design. I like/liked the ASCC and still love/loved the HSC ,but was the uproar enough to bring Honda back to a mid engine design is the question. Hopefully they're thinking "sh******t our 3.5 HSC could whoop up on an R8":biggrin: Wouldn't that be great? I know wishful thinking:rolleyes:

I agree 100%. God I wish they would produce the HSC. What the hell keeps them from doing it? It's SOO Beautiful.

It's going to happen all over again. Nissan is going to sell truck load after truck load of skylines [it's finalized] while Honda sells just at the start of a recession. Hopefully I'm wrong, the more they produce the quicker it'll depreciate and the sooner I'll be able to pick one up sensibly.
Yup, I have already lost faith in Honda. I was a big fan of Honda, Soichiro that is. With the current back and forth directions of this once awesome company, I really don't expect anything groundbreaking. The Lexus LFA is looking mighty nice. I probably will end up with a used one in a few years. I still have 5 Honda motorcycles in my garage. However, one look at the 2008 CBR1000RR makes one wonder if the new generation of Honda executives know what the @#%& they are doing. I have had a few RRs and they have always been beautiful machines. The 2008 RR looks like a piece of turd just like the ASSC, ASCC, or was it ASSES? God knows how much money they have wasted with these ugly cars, while Lexus is climbing steadily in the automotive rank. The current Acura flagship RL looks more like a bigger old generation Accord. I have never owned a four door sedan and I am quite shocked that I actually LIKE ALL of the 4 Lexus sedans!!!!??? I will always cherish the magnificent CRX and NSXs that I have had and the great men that are behind these great Hondas. But I think the current Honda is a mess.
Steve

There's just so much pent-up demand. Maybe if we started a group buy we could get Tamoske to make bolt-on HSC body kits.:biggrin:

Too late - R8 is here.

Dude how stupid does that sound! If Honda had felt that way they never would've made the NSX in the first place. Plus Honda could use the HSC with a 3.5 V6 , SHAWD ( not my preference but ) and beat the 911,911S and R8 for for much less than a $100k. AN HSC with a 3.5 @120hp per liter Ala S2K and a 9K redline with...let me stop I'm getting all excited..LOL

"As for a V-8 in an Acura sedan anytime soon, the company still seems wed to the idea of skipping this step, and going from its current V-6s to a V-10 in the NSX, with no displacement stops in between—no matter how little sense this seems to make."

hahah

There is a disconnect here with Honda.

1. Honda is choosing to go with V10 at a time when CAFE standards are expected to rise sharply. Reason for V10: Fukui wants to show the world he has big balls. Hey even Chrysler knows how to make V10. Stick with something Honda is good at, squeeze more power from a small engine.

2. Skip the V8 for a v10? Get your engineers to work on something else like a modern automatic transmission. I heard Honda just started work on a 6 speed automatic. Too late Honda!! GM / Ford has a 6 speed auto, BMW is coming out with 7 speed SMG, Mercedes is on 7 speed auto, Lexus has an 8 speed auto.

Bring the HSC to production.

Whats the link to the LF-A Prime website? Might be jumping ship if Honda cant get their act together. :tongue: :biggrin:

Plus Honda could use the HSC with a 3.5 V6 , SHAWD ( not my preference but ) and beat the 911,911S and R8 for for much less than a $100k.

Much less than a $100k? The 05 NSX stickered for $90k - higher than a 911S and 911S4. I don't see how a new NSX of any sort is going to be below $100k regardless of whether its a V6 or V10, FR or MR layout, 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. So you think that a new NSX will up the HP, add SH-AWD, all of the required safety equipment (side curtain airbags, stability control, etc), comparable brakes, transmission and creature comforts to the likes of a 911 and R8 and the price will go down substantially? Not likely.

Much less than a $100k? The 05 NSX stickered for $90k - higher than a 911S and 911S4. I don't see how a new NSX of any sort is going to be below $100k regardless of whether its a V6 or V10, FR or MR layout, 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

actually, as long as they don't decide to build another all new production facility for a low volume NSX they shouldn't have a problem.:wink:

I am going to give Honda one more chance... But if they don't do it right this time, I am off to Nissan or Toyota for my next car. Honda REALLY needs a car that S2000 owners can upgrade to.

Much less than a $100k? The 05 NSX stickered for $90k - higher than a 911S and 911S4. I don't see how a new NSX of any sort is going to be below $100k regardless of whether its a V6 or V10, FR or MR layout, 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. So you think that a new NSX will up the HP, add SH-AWD, all of the required safety equipment (side curtain airbags, stability control, etc), comparable brakes, transmission and creature comforts to the likes of a 911 and R8 and the price will go down substantially? Not likely.

Very likely actually as long as it's not hand built and since they already have a new 3.5 Liter engine enhancing it for performance would be relatively easy for Honda. They've proven they can reliably produce 120 hp per liter at 9K all day. You guys can go on about wanting a high hp car from Honda as long as you like ,but if Honda made a 3.5 Liter 420 hp engine at 3000 to 3100lbs with the SHAWD that had a 9K redline. It would kick so much booty. It might not be a Z06 slayer ,but the NSX wasn't faster than the ZR1 when it came out so I personally don't care.

with all these hot cars coming from toyota and nissan in the next year or two... I REALLY need a turbo now. damn. :biggrin: :frown:

Yea, but those cars are FAT. The Nissan is reported at 3800 lbs and I'm sure the Lexus ain't lightweight. They may be fast, but the NSX is more nimble.

Here's hoping that Honda will ditch the GT concept and keep the weight down. I'm hanging on to my last drop of hope. If Honda shows another FAT pig in Tokyo, I'm done. Hello Porsche

Very likely actually as long as it's not hand built and since they already have a new 3.5 Liter engine enhancing it for performance would be relatively easy for Honda.

Very likely?! That is wishful thinking not grounded in reality. It takes several hundred million to multiple billions of dollars to bring a new car to the market. Design, testing, manufacturing tool up, emissions and safety certifications (in multiple geographies), dealer training, etc, etc. Let's say that Honda can do it for niche car like the NSX-2 for a mere $300m and that they can sell 10,000 units in the first 3-4 years. That's $30k per car just to recoupe the upfront costs. GM can sell Vettes at a $50-70k price point because they sell about 25,000 units per year. 911 pricing is a bit higher at lower a bit lower unit volume. Cars that sell in the 2000-4000 unit per year range are $100k and up just due the economics of bringing a car to the market.

Back