2013 Detroit Auto Show

Drivetrain info from Gansan's link, "The Detriot Bureau:"

Under the hood is a version of the sport-hybrid powertrain that the NSX will use when it goes back into production, meanwhile.

The original 2-seater used a high-tech V-6 and Acura toyed with a variety of alternatives, including a high-power V-10 before settling on its current strategy. It will use a unique three-motor hybrid, two on the front axle and one on the rear, which will also draw power from a turbocharged V-6. The layout will allow aggressive torque vectoring, different amounts of energy directed to each of the front wheels to improve the way it steers through a cornering.

Interior info:

As for the suede, leather and chrome interior shown on the 2013 Detroit Auto Show prototype, think of it as “one possible direction” the maker may go once it gets the NSX into production, explained chief designer Jon Ikeda.

The race track-ready steering wheel and paddle shifters are intended to minimize the distractions on a driver pushing a supercar to “the limit,” Ikeda suggested. And there are a pair of large LCD screens, including one in the primary gauge cluster that can be reconfigured to the driver’s specifications.

A turbo V6 would be "whoa, they're serious about performance." Here's hoping they don't change the interior much. Really like the idea of a reconfigurable gauge cluster.

For those of us who do not plan to purchase a car like this brand new, looking a few years down the line I don't know how comfortable I would be purchasing a hybrid outside of warranty. While the NSX 1.0 has certainly proven itself to be amazingly reliable, will NSX 2.0 hybrid edition be able to boast such bulletproof reliability?? Obviously too early to tell but it is something to think about for those who buy their toys pre-owned like I do.

Some old "antique" American trucks have manual shifts on the right hand side of the steering column. Wonder if there was complains back then when it went away?

It's called 3 on the tree and that's what I learned to drive on. A1963 Mercury pickup. Yes, there is more interoperability with a third pedal, but paddle shifting is more than an automatic transmission. I am not totally sold on "flappy paddle shifters", but the result is precise fast shifting and control by the driver.

My buddy drives a Lamborghini with paddle shifting. His complaint: it thinks too much for the driver and limits what he can do when. Downshifting can only be done at certain speeds and RPMs.

It's called 3 on the tree and that's what I learned to drive on. A1963 Mercury pickup. Yes, there is more interoperability with a third pedal, but paddle shifting is more than an automatic transmission. I am not totally sold on "flappy paddle shifters", but the result is precise fast shifting and control by the driver.

My buddy drives a Lamborghini with paddle shifting. His complaint: it thinks too much for the driver and limits what he can do when. Downshifting can only be done at certain speeds and RPMs.

On the latest BMW M3 DCT, in manual config, downshifts w/matching revs happen when YOU want them to. I have never a experienced a time when it wouldn't downshift.

The only time I have had the DCT (in manual) do it's own thing is when coming to a complete stop in 2nd gear, it will downshift into 1st.

Left in automatic mode, shift crispness can also be adjusted from firm to very hard hitting.

I expect whatever Honda winds up with be state of the art.

Oooooh.... turbo.... you know what that means... you are only $50 and your warranty away from another 50 HP.

Who cares how good the transmission is if you aren't doing it. This is a sports car for driving not a cruiser for boulevards. They can justify it and say oh its used in F1 or that it will reduce your workload while driving hard but its really all about laziness. The buyers market is full of posers who will gladly relinquish control for comfort so that's why every car maker is phasing out true manuals- low demand. When an automaker caters to the posers and become slaves to their "product business case" to the point they won't even attempt to satisfy real enthusiasts or themselves, its telling you what their core values really are and what they will compromise.

And do we really need an i-drive type interface for audio and climate control rather than simple nobs that fall easily to hand and can be set by feel while keeping one's attention on the driving?
The climate controls appear to be physical. See the up/down buttons on each side of the gear-select area. I don't know if they correspond to our current knobs (temp on left, fan on right) or some kind of dual-zone temps, or such...I imagine the final ones may be labeled better and/or intuitive after first use (like ours).

It does seem audio will be touchscreen-controlled, but with all the audio options these days (AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3/bluetooth/phone) current physical designs are getting too complicated. Touchscreen may simplify the experience (select CD and you get only controls relevant to that) for improved function and safety. Voice control may also help. And the most-used controls (volume) are still physical buttons on the wheel.

Last edited:
Who cares how good the transmission is if you aren't doing it. This is a sports car for driving not a cruiser for boulevards. They can justify it and say oh its used in F1 or that it will reduce your workload while driving hard but its really all about laziness. The buyers market is full of posers who will gladly relinquish control for comfort so that's why every car maker is phasing out true manuals- low demand. When an automaker caters to the posers and become slaves to their "product business case" to the point they won't even attempt to satisfy real enthusiasts or themselves, its telling you what their core values really are and what they will compromise.

LOL... Nero, buddy you sound a little upset... miffed... a little angry that you are ignored. Give it up man, it will all be better. :D

I don't disagree with what you are saying but yeah... money matters, and if they can sell 100 cars to Paris Hilton types instead of one to you, the real "enthisiast", you are going to lose out. Don't sell your NSX if that's not good enough. But as I said before, a car with the right trans is quite involving even without a third pedal. Your hands are simply elsewhere now instead of on the console. You are still changing gears. That snap into the next gear and the following burst of power is quite nice no matter how YOU engaged it.

A turbo V6 would be "whoa, they're serious about performance." Here's hoping they don't change the interior much. Really like the idea of a reconfigurable gauge cluster.

That's what worries me... If Honda decides a turbo/SOHC because of the cost effect in R & D over a high revving DOHC engine, it will not attract me as a buyer, new or used. It would be an opus if it has all three components of DOHC VTEC, FI, and Hybrid.

Honda is doing this publically stage by stage, almost as if they want direct feedbacks from the people. If that is the case, it's a smart move.

For those of us who do not plan to purchase a car like this brand new, looking a few years down the line I don't know how comfortable I would be purchasing a hybrid outside of warranty. While the NSX 1.0 has certainly proven itself to be amazingly reliable, will NSX 2.0 hybrid edition be able to boast such bulletproof reliability?? Obviously too early to tell but it is something to think about for those who buy their toys pre-owned like I do.

That depends on if you're buying it from the dealer or private party. Used certified car will give you a peace of mind. I also suspect most owners will have extended warranty on the car, just because of the price point, and it is transferable.

Last edited:
IMHO, this is not a production version but, it is showing some progress. I for one wasn't happy with the first concept because it lacked any visual ties to the original and therefore thought it shouldn't have the NSX name plate. However, the design tweaks on the new concept are starting to show some very small resemblence to NSX.10. I like how the cowl slopes down a little steeper and just slightly longer like our current car. I think it's designed to give the future driver the same view of the road that we enjoy now. The wider vents are more pronounced and will be an identifying design characteristic just as the vents are on ours. I know these changes are very slight but they are in the right direction. As for me this car will be priced out of my comfort zone and it doesn't make me feel like I have to have it as my 91 NSX did 22 yrs ago. I have my dream car and feel blessed everytime I tuck it in bed under its red blanket in my garage every night. Maybe the new one will be my son's dream car.

Honda is doing this publically stage by stage, almost as if they want direct feedbacks from the people. If that is the case, it's a smart move.

I was thinking the very same. It does appear they are looking at feedback regarding their designs. Some points that led me to that conclusion:

1) There were a lot of comments about the original rendering's beak. This time it is toned down significantly and personally looks way better.
2) They sent a survey out to a number of us owners and it indeed seems that they are taking heed to our comments.

So, in short, I believe they are trying to gauge commentary from potential buyers, journalists, and media to see if they are headed in the right direction. For me, the new model they demonstrated looks great. I love the design of the interior (but not in red). The 2013 NSX model is the first new model since the S2000 that has taken my breath away. As Mr Ikeda stated in his speech that he wanted to induce a positive emotion in people who saw the new NSX, I must say that it is mission accomplished.

well I thought I'd throw in my two cents with everyone else.

I like the side profile and find the front hood profile similar to my 04, how the hood makes a subtle but noticeable transition above the wheel well. I love that

I will agree with another member of the forum, is the design timeless? which is what I consider the difference between a lambo and F car. lambo always is trendy. Big headlights, surely we will probably all agree in 5 years from now, they will look ugly or at least dated same with the hard rigid lines! I think the new NSX design is very well done with one exception, the front and rear very large air scoops. I think those will look dated in few years...but the rest...very well done Honda. I didnt like the rear on last year's car, but I like it on this one..must be getting used to it or maybe it lost a spoiler or something.

And I do love the headlights.

..and I dont care if people say it looks like an R8. Honda should have built the R8!

- - - Updated - - -

and one other question. My NSX fits two golf bags perfectly. Is there an optional roof rack for the new one??

Last edited:
its going to be a purpose built sports car. who cares about golf bags fitting in it. take your other car if you want to go golfing. multiple people have said this same thing....its just odd.
many people daily drive their R8s...they have some trunk space in the front. this will be the same most likely. its an exotic car from a different era, like someone said before. they dont build any of todays super cars to fit golf bags anymore.

Survey went out to 2002+ owners only.

And golf clubs fit in every car in the passenger seat.

yes thats where my brother puts his in his 996. The hockey bag and hockey stick look quite hilarious in his front seat as well

I did not receive a survey. Was it from honda USA?

Survey was from Acura. You can register at Acura.com as an owner. You should do so if you have not.

I am surprised that many likes this car and most likes the interior.

It is a formula different from the Gen 1. I wonder if many likes this because it is new and different. I question if Gen 2 will have the timelessness that Gen 1 has.

I'll provide some counter points:

Interior is flashy with contrasting colors, angles, and materials. I'm not convinced this design has staying power and doesn't appear as functional as the original. That huge center console dampens the open feel of our current cars. The top of the dash board lacks texture and the center display isn't elegantly integrated into the console. Where are all my buttons and knobs? I don't want to go thru a menu to execute a command. This not an iphone on wheels, this is a sports car where commands need to be readily accessed with minimal fuss and with eyes on the road. Dedicated Buttons and knobs does that and gives drivers tactile feedback. The interior is still early in development. I know they will clean it up before launch.

Instrument panel reminds me of the flat S2000 display with different graphics and the addition of 2 analog gauges. I'm sure this will be updated.

DSG is faster, Manual trans is more engaging. Give us a choice or it may be a deal breaker.

This is no longer the lean NSX formula that it was. The hybrid is fine. It has a place in today's market. But it lacks purity and adds weight. Yea, you can offset it by weight reduction, but you are still at least 200 lbs heavier than one without it. New NSX is a different car. To each its own.

I prefer, naturally aspirated, high revving, light weight and no more than 400 hp. Power was never what the NSX is about. ITO is chasing Gusto and glory with the 500 Hp car, much like Fukui was with his V10 bloat mobile.

The car's specification will likely result in a price tag quite a few notches above the $90K of the previous. Because of Acura's marque, the higher the price tag, the lower the volume. They are not Tier 1 manufacturer. The are limited buyers willing to shell out over $125K unless it has some European name plate on it.

Sources indicate the NSX will have some form of turbo to compensate because the car was a hog once it ran out of battery juice on a track with limited or short brake zones for regen. This is short sighted on Honda part. Us primers knew this and were discussing this back in 2003. Back then, most of us agreed that a hybrid would haul dead weight around within a few laps. It is now 10 years later, and Honda sources are now confirming that. As a response to that problem, they are adding a turbo. This seems either very short sighted or just not having clear vision on the direction of the NSX when the project was launched. The source also said the goals of the car was changed. Originally around 400 Hp, now up to 500Hp.

Beak, flat front end with big gaping opening, and likely no trunk. All bad. Yea, everyone is doing the big mouth openings. Group think! Ugly is ugly. They were all doing fins back in the 50s. Pedstrian safety is an excuse. Porsches and Ferraris still have slim and low front ends.

Storage space in the front will be not much is any. Where do you think the 2 electric motors in the front are going to reside?

Flying Buttress - Good luck with access to the engine. One will have to be on top of the rear fender to access the engine bay for maintenance, unless you have cables and pulleys to hoist yourself over the car.

New NSX is flamboyant, a product of the designer's youth. Not convinced if the styling will be timeless.

Perhaps the mini-NSX will maintain some of the purity (no hybrid) of the Gen 1 and also keep the power on tap. For the Honda bean counters, they could still carry over the 6 speed manual trans to the mini-NSX.

Hey SIlver

I've only heard one person say this a guy on Vtec.net with the call sign of Rolled NSX. Is that where you got this from?

The climate controls appear to be physical. See the up/down buttons on each side of the gear-select area. I don't know if they correspond to our current knobs (temp on left, fan on right) or some kind of dual-zone temps, or such...I imagine the final ones may be labeled better and/or intuitive after first use (like ours).

It does seem audio will be touchscreen-controlled, but with all the audio options these days (AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3/bluetooth/phone) current physical designs are getting too complicated. Touchscreen may simplify the experience (select CD and you get only controls relevant to that) for improved function and safety. Voice control may also help. And the most-used controls (volume) are still physical buttons on the wheel.

I hope you are right. Hondas have always had above-average interior ergonomics...well, except for the buttons-gone-wild madness in some of the latest Acuras. What you describe sounds just fine. And I agree that secondary ICE controls may best be provided by a well thought out touch screen as long as primary ones (volume/search/presets) are still physical.

I also understand the reasoning behind a paddle-shifted automatic manual transmission. It's the future and eventually the third pedal will go the way of the floor starter button and the steering wheel mounted spark advance. Doesn't mean I have to like it. I think it just takes away an element of fun and skill. Be nice if they offered a fully manual transmission as an option but that probably doesn't make financial sense. Be nice if there was a non-hybrid awd turbo option for track rats, too. But that also seems unlikely. Guess Nero will just have to add an Atom or Crossbow to his garage.

Hi Perry, you and I read from the same. I didn't want to make it too obvious and risk killing the goose who has been giving us the golden egg of information.

So only once the batteries have run out and the electrics are dead weight does the turbo kick in?

I can see a lot of owners just removing the batteries and shorting out whatever computer to fool it into running the turbo all the time...

So only once the batteries have run out and the electrics are dead weight does the turbo kick in?

I can see a lot of owners just removing the batteries and shorting out whatever computer to fool it into running the turbo all the time...

No, I don't think it's going to have a part time turbo. LOL. just extra power probably. Idk what will happen when the batts die... This is not an easy engineering task. Perry always says "they are using electric motors like turbos for more power and instant torque" but he never has addressed the battery situation. Lets hear it perry.... LOL

Back