98 NSX vs 02 Z06 - and the winner is...

Originally posted by dswartz:
... However, the statement that “even the first C5 beat it handily in head to head track tests” needs some clarification.

In the July 98 Road & Track, there was an article entitled “The Best All-Around Sports Car”...

Wow, I'm impressed! You certainly know the references.

I'm sorry to say that I can't quote the magazine and issue (but I'll certainly dig for it), but before I bought my NSX less than three years ago I went to the library and on-line to read what I could find. I have a very clear memory of one track test which included the NSX, a 911 variant, a Vette, an M3, and I forget what else. I was more than a little surprised to see that the NSX was near the back of the pack on lap times (the number I cared most about), slower even than the M3. The differences were not huge, but clear. Forgive my poor memory, but what was the first year for thew C5? (I was out of the country from 1991 through 1997 and totally lost touch with the car industry). I'm guessing the article was the from the first year. If the more recent NSX has the edge on the C5, then the 3.2 and 6-speed must be worth more than I guessed.

As for "small and light", I agree completely, but on that the Vette may be a bit larger, but certainly not heavier. But yes, the standard C5 certainly feels more so.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 01 October 2001).]

what was the first year for thew C5?

Model year 1997, same as for the 3.2-liter NSX.

It was 13 years after the introduction of the previous generation... which could very well turn out to also be the same as the NSX...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 October 2001).]

dswartz: Just so I'm being clear, I'm specifically talking about the Z06 -- I'd agree that an NSX is comparable or perhaps superior to a standard C5, and that a Zanardi edition certainly is.

But both my personal experience plus articles that have compared the Z06 to other sports cars (for example, the recent R&T (I think) where the 360 Modena won a track test, but the Z06 was a close second) show that the Z06 is a better performing and handling car.

-Brad

Originally posted by sjs:
Heck, even the first C5 beat it handily in head to head track tests.

I have severly beat at least half a dozen C5's red light to red light(even started from behind one once), but I would not test my luck with a Z06.those cars are fast.

Originally posted by SNDSOUL:
I have severly beat at least half a dozen C5's red light to red light(even started from behind one once), but I would not test my luck with a Z06.those cars are fast.

I suspect that the percent of C5s sold with an automatic transmission is many times that of the NSX, which could be why you beat them so badly. On the other hand, I find that may drivers don't know how to get the most out of their car even in a straight line.

The '98 NSX coupe is closer to 3060 or so lbs. Ken posted the weight for the NSX-T.

In any case, I've beaten Z06's at autocrosses with my '00 coupe. THough next year, the Z06 stays in SS class whereas the NSX gets pushed down to AS class (where the S2000 resides). But I can go faster in my S2000 than in the NSX.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The Z06 doesn't weigh the same as his NSX coupe. Try at least 200lbs more than his NSX.

Wrong. The '98 NSX Coupe weighs 3,164 pounds. The Corvette Z06 weighs 3,118 pounds.

Originally posted by s2ktaxi:
The '98 NSX coupe is closer to 3060 or so lbs. Ken posted the weight for the NSX-T.

Wrong. According to Acura's website, the six-speed NSX coupe weighs 3,164 pounds and the six-speed NSX-T weighs 3,208 pounds.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 October 2001).]

According to the '98 NSX brochure from Acura, the coupe has a curb weight of 3069 lbs and the NSX-T of 3164 lbs for the 6 speed manual.

The automatic is 3113 and 3208 respectively. I thougth we were talking about the manual transmission cars.

According to Acura's website (click link above), these are the weights:

six-speed coupe: 3164 pounds
six-speed NSX-T: 3208 pounds
automatic coupe: 3069 pounds
automatic NSX-T: 3113 pounds

Obviously there is a typo, either in the brochure or on the website. I am going to guess that the brochure is correct, and Acura's website is in error. And mea culpa for relying on it.

vettes are junk!!!! that why when you lean on the car you feel like your going to fall threw the panel....
p.s. i've had no problem waxing vettes in my heavy 96 and in my new 91 race baby including a black zo6

Back