2007 Mustang GT Vs. 1991 NSX

I ran against a 05 Mustang GT 5 speed not long after I got my NSX. We only got to run from a stop through first gear...but I had about a car length on him with only that short of a run. I also have gone up against my friends 1990 Mustang GT with about 350hp in it. I pull on him fairly easily too, although his is a convertible so it is no lightweight, not that any mustang is.
When I was on the design team for the 2009 mustang I had plenty of time behind the wheel of various mustangs. I have never been a mustang fan, but I must admit the GT is fun. Totally different power band than the NSX that is for sure. I also got to take a GT500 out for a night....that is a whole other story. :eek:

A race like this has no upside. You lose and you will never hear the end of it. If you win, congrats, you beat a Mustang. Now, get yourself a LoveFab turbo and lighten your car by 200lbs, and let the fun begin! I just had some fun with my buddy who has a replica 1966 Ford GT40. It has a new Roush 351 punched out to a 427 with 550 HP (at the crank) and 530 ft lbs of torque:eek:. Roush certified his car to run 3.8 seconds 0-60 and 11.8 in the 1/4 mile. We ran three times from 20-90 mph (closed course:wink:). We were dead even. I mean, eyeball to eyeball. It was great. The sound of these two machines at full throttle was something else. For the record, I am at 407RWHP on a very conservative dyno. LoveFab - there is no substitute.

I would be surprised if you lost at that speed. If he's relatively stock, his car will be stuggling for air above 80. So will yours, but less. On the street, I don't know. I've driven the new GT's and it's not like they are slugs compared to the nsx.

I have a pretty much stock 91 and was cruising on the freeway at about 70mph when I noticed a 2002 or so Camaro SS behind me, repeatedly coming up a few feet away and hitting the brakes right before rear ending me.. All with a big 'ol grin on his face. After a few moments I cut over -- not interested in racing him. Soon I get stuck behind a ridiculously slow Corolla and try to cut back, but now the SS is purposely boxing me in. Torquing it, letting off... showing me that fat SS badge on the back. After this goes on for a while the Corolla eventually takes the exit so I said screw this, and opened it up. As I kinda expected, the camaro guns it too. Also as I expected, he gained about 2 carlengths within a second or two. But then I slowly closed the gap and in fact, passed him steadily. At 140 I was a significant distance from him and backed off. He looked PISSED after that. That was the first and time I ever raced anyone off the track with the nsx so I'm glad I didn't lose, crash or pass a cop.

That SS probably would have dusted me on the street can probably take out a 2007 GT at any speed. Let us know how it goes, before we start placing bets.

Your racing from a roll, how is the race going to start with 3 honks?

It will start with 3 honks but it may end with one siren and two clicks ..... of the handcuffs! Careful.

It will start with 3 honks but it may end with one siren and two clicks ..... of the handcuffs! Careful.

the original post..........

2007 Mustang GT Vs. 1991 NSX

After some silly office banter and a few small bets, we decided to make this happen. On a CLOSED, PRIVATE strip, I’m going to race a friend in his manual Mustang GT. We tossed around a few ideas, but came to the conclusion that we would do straight a 40mph-125mph run. I’m hoping that the NSX’ strong midrange and lighter weight will be able to compensate against the mustangs’ bigger engine and higher rated hp. We’re both stock, except for my Ark DT-S exhaust. Oh, I’m running stock 15/16 wheels with brand new rubber. I tried to get him to come out to a track event for some twisties, but he’s smarter than that.

We will be wearing helmets and not driving closely side-by-side.

Predictions?

Last edited:
There are plenty of examples of this on the internet happening.

I've seen one with a Twin Turbo GTO vs. a WS6.....

What do you mean dude? I was wondering how they are starting their race , becuase I was going to say if thats how they are doing it. NSX should do the honks, which would give the nsx the upper hand as you know.

Indeed. I believe the STi needs to shift into 5th to run the quarter mile. But 0-30 MPH, they will put a hurting on a lot of otherwise faster cars.

OMG, our you joking, have you ever own a STi before? I have and let me tell you, it does have shorter gears compare to the nsx (i dont know about the 6spd nsx) and i only needed 4 gears to do the quarter mile, and you can get 60 mph on 2nd gear.

OMG, our you joking, have you ever own a STi before? I have and let me tell you, it does have shorter gears compare to the nsx (i dont know about the 6spd nsx) and i only needed 4 gears to do the quarter mile, and you can get 60 mph on 2nd gear.

OMG, I am not joking.

I have not owned an Sti, but mathematics tell me the maximum speed in 4th gear is 99 mph, based on a 7000 rpm redline, 3.9:1 rear end, 1.346:1 4th gear and a 225/45/17 tire.

Numerous testing sources (Car & Driver, Road & Track) have reported on the need to shift into 2nd for 60 MPH and 5th to complete the quarter mile, as have numerous posts in Subaru forums:

1st gear - 37 mph
2nd gear - 56 mph
3rd gear - 76 mph
4th gear - 99 mph
5th gear - 137 mph
6th gear - 176 (theoretically)

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/sti-technical-forum/20644-sti-gearing-0-60-times.html

OMG, I am not joking.

I have not owned an Sti, but mathematics tell me the maximum speed in 4th gear is 99 mph, based on a 7000 rpm redline, 3.9:1 rear end, 1.346:1 4th gear and a 225/45/17 tire.

Numerous testing sources (Car & Driver, Road & Track) have reported on the need to shift into 2nd for 60 MPH and 5th to complete the quarter mile, as have numerous posts in Subaru forums:

1st gear - 37 mph
2nd gear - 56 mph
3rd gear - 76 mph
4th gear - 99 mph
5th gear - 137 mph
6th gear - 176 (theoretically)

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/sti-technical-forum/20644-sti-gearing-0-60-times.html

also that means your not breaking 100mph in the 1/4 in your STi which you should even if its stock.

brahtw8 is absolutely right, my friends STi has to finish the 1/4 mile in 5th, and the worse thing is, he has to shift about 20 feet away from the finish line. that shift cost him a few mph in the trap. He can do around 101 mph with the shift, and if he tried to leave it in forth, he bounces off the rev limiter very hard making him only run a 95 mph trap speed. The STi's gearing sucks, that tranny was designed for a 8000 rpm redline from the JDM EJ20 engines. It really can't do 100mph in 4th with the USDM's 7000 rpm redline, and you can't even stretch out the gear either, that rev limiter hits as soon as it touches 7000.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about some stang. I've only been stomped on once, and that was by a stock Ferrari 550. We were dead even through 1st, but at the moment I clutched to shift to 2nd he started to pull, and by early/mid 3rd, he pulled 2+ car lengths on me. I was shifting fast but that momentary cutting of power to the rear wheels hurt me more than how he was pulling between my shifts.

If I could quicken my shifts, I'd probably gain 1/2+ car length. Wish my car could shift as fast as I shift my motorcycles, blip of the throttle or just a light "rub" of the clutch lever instead of a stomp down on the clutch in the car.

Last edited:
Re: 2007 Mustang GT Vs. 1991 NSX -Update

I know we've all been waiting for this to happen. Last night I went out to dinner with my Mustang GT counterpart. We both had our cars. I don't think he'd seen an NSX in person before. As we all know, this cars' appearance in person is much better than in pics. He was impressed and started to act a little scared.

He offered for me to drive the Stang. I agree. I get in. I've driven older Mustangs before, but not the new ones. It's still a total boat. The hood is so high that you can barely see the road. I know this car doesn't compare to an exotic, and that's not really what I'm trying to do here. Overally, Ford made a lot of improvements to this new model.

The drive. Whoever said to race this car from a dig was right. It felt really sluggish and heavy, even with a couple 'traction control off' launches. It's responsiveness is so bad. The car is really bulky and has no manners. I will say that it handled slightly better than I expected, though.

We then went for a ride in the NSX. My only perf mod is exhaust. I drove. I don't know this guy well enough to be handing over the keys just yet. He was suprised at the power my car had in stock form.

Needless to say, he still thinks he can win. I am positive that I will crush him from a dig as well as a midrange launch.

I know, I know....we are still trying to get to the strip...

Last edited:
I have driven the new GT on a couple occasions. There is nothing about the basic mustang or GT that even gets my attention except for the GT driving light setup. The handling is slow and sluggish. Does not feel like a sports car. More like cadillac with blown shocks because it rode and handled so......"squishy". Suspension on it sucks and probably part of the reason why the car feels so slow even if it isn't. This was long before I even considered a nsx. Entry level C class MBZ handled better and felt faster along with the last 2 gen TL's.

I have driven the new GT on a couple occasions. There is nothing about the basic mustang or GT that even gets my attention except for the GT driving light setup. The handling is slow and sluggish. Does not feel like a sports car. More like cadillac with blown shocks because it rode and handled so......"squishy". Suspension on it sucks and probably part of the reason why the car feels so slow even if it isn't. This was long before I even considered a nsx. Entry level C class MBZ handled better and felt faster along with the last 2 gen TL's.

Yeah, I hear ya. It's really sad that you look at a completely newly designed one, and the dial for the temp guage looks like the one from a 20 year old Tempo.

I wonder what that GT500 is like. Meaning, are the brakes, susp., chassis, etc up to handling 500hp? Or is it still a pig with a big motor?

I could of sworn it's still a pig with a bigger motor.

Before I drove the GT, I thought maybe it might handle fairly well. I was expecting a firm ride and a good feeling of torque. It more like driving a sedated family car. Another car that handled slightly better but still almost the same is the 2007 Jaguar XK. Looks cool, performance not up to par. BTW, both V8 300hp, but the difference is the 4.2 jag and 4.6 Ford.

I wonder what that GT500 is like. Meaning, are the brakes, susp., chassis, etc up to handling 500hp? Or is it still a pig with a big motor?

The GT500 has tons of power all over the band. It pulls like crazy (at least to me). Its the most powerful car I have driven. The suspension although upgraded...sucks. Its feels like you are driving a really fast truck. The brakes are good brembos...but the car nose dives like crazy when you brake since it has such a anchor of a motor up front.

Back