zeroto60times

Last night a friend of mine (a former NSX owner) that has an 1100 HP Supra, invited me to go to the local drag strip for test and tune night...Supra run a 10.63 @ 130+mph before going home.

I'm certain your friends Supra is capable of trapping 160+ mph at those power levels. Maybe he just didn't want to make us NSX's look like we are launching in reverse at the track;) lol.

I'm certain your friends Supra is capable of trapping 160+ mph at those power levels. Maybe he just didn't want to make us NSX's look like we are launching in reverse at the track;) lol.

Yeah he could go much faster. But he is waiting on a half shaft and some other performance goodies along with some slicks before he goes all out. He just got it back from the speed shop and was taking it easy.

...He just got it back from the speed shop and was taking it easy.

Must be fun running 10s while "taking it easy".

I am still amazed that Supras remain off everyone's radar as near-exotic/super cars. I think if one was to buy one in OEM spec (not easy) with reasonable mileage and enjoy it for a few years, they would see serious appreciation in value. Those things won't be a performance secret for ever.

Remind me to start a thread on Japanese collectible cars. :)

Re: 0-60 times...

They tend to come from various magazine reviews, and thus can vary wildly depending on environmental conditions, launch methods, track surface, etc. Some sources adjust results for altitude and weather, some do not. Your 0-60 time may vary.

some thing to think about boys; all magazines times are corrected for sea level and a specific ambient temperature (somewhere in the low 70's Fahrenheit I believe?). they are not actual stop watch times. all magazine test cars are also very specific models, hand built by the manufacturers themselves, especially the engines. and even more so for performance cars. they usually don't have VIN numbers, and aren't sold to the public after they're used. these machines are handpicked because they make the most horsepower and torque of the first vehicles off the assembly line. in other words, they're all ringers. showroom floor cars are rarely ever as fast or make the same HP/torque numbers. everyone here should understand why this is of course. same goes for trucks, motorcycles, etc.

as someone mentioned earlier. these cars are massively abused by the magazines to get the best possible times. they usually have another car on hand also. and typically the editors will smoke the clutch in whatever car or bike they're testing after only a few runs. unless you want to launch your car that hard and bring it home on a flatbed, keep that in mind.

I've only ever heard of one stock NSX going into the high 12's in the 1/4 mile. Car & Driver did a run in 12.9 @ 110mph with a '98 NSX manual coupe. I've never heard of another NSX going that fast since then. it was probably an alignment of all of the Japanese planets and one perfect launch! NSX's are generally low-to-high 13 second cars depending on the years, and that's impressive for the low power output. they were never designed for the dragstrip...

we have a yellow coupe na2 in the NE that ran 12.5-12.7 more than once with the owner at the wheel,but he rarely posts.

12.5 second 1/4 in a bone stock NSX coupe? that'd be the fastest stock NSX on the planet. I reckon there might be a little work in there the owner isn't telling you about... :rolleyes:

After reading this thread I want to take mine to the track!

12.5 second 1/4 in a bone stock NSX coupe? that'd be the fastest stock NSX on the planet. I reckon there might be a little work in there the owner isn't telling you about... :rolleyes:

I can agree with your skepticism..but to my recollection no internal engine mods,basic i/e stuff.

I don't think that mid to upper 12s is that far out of reach. I ran a 13.5 doing a soft launch and I know for sure my car could go much faster if I were willing to push it and risk the clutch. It was a cold night for So. Tex. (59 degrees F) and my drag racing friends said that is near optimal for good HP. So if all of the conditions are right I think 12s are attainable.

a tenth of a second is a lot harder to grab than you think, over a half second even more so. if you're already close to the limit, that tenth or two isn't very easy. more RPM can lead directly to more wheelspin, and now you've just lost a second. more time on the clutch means less power to the ground.

let us know how much faster you get on the next go... :wink:

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no plans to run my NSX again on the strip. But my S2K is another matter. I want to see what it will do. It's stock also.

Actually it's real, I know the car intimately. The motor/trans is stock but has had the clutch disc replaced with a Comptech clutch. BFD. The time slips are real and have been posted here before. The guy can stick and shift. Stop it. Really.

Last edited:
nothing personal against your mate or his car. but it takes a certain amount of horsepower to get a 3100+ lbs. car into the mid-12's. and it's not 290...

Last edited:
nothing personal against your mate or his car. but it takes a certain amount of horsepower to get a 3100+ lbs. car into the mid-12's. and it's not 290...

Honestly us old members don't care what you think. We know the history of this car and were members when it was making these runs years ago. Its a NA2 coupe that is under 3000 lbs. I also know of another NA2 coupe that was trapping in the 113 range a couple of years back. That car was also in the 12.6-12.7 range. If you knew half of what you think you know ..... you would know that some of these cars especially the 3.2 engine cars can make 270-280 plus at the wheels with I/E/H. This is enough to get a sub 3000 pound car in the 12s and even the mid 12s.

Last edited:
I don't really care that you don't really care what I think? I know the history of the car too. and you don't know how old i am, or anything about me. maybe there are a few NSX's that run in that range, but it's not the norm. under 3000 lbs. is not a stock weight, and 280+ at the wheels is also not a stock output. that's my point...

I don't really care that you don't really care what I think? I know the history of the car too. and you don't know how old i am, or anything about me. maybe there are a few NSX's that run in that range, but it's not the norm. under 3000 lbs. is not a stock weight, and 280+ at the wheels is also not a stock output. that's my point...

your point is wrong because it is very easy to get NA2 coupes under 3000 lbs and the 3.2 to ~280rwhp.

are these cars untouched and in the same condition as they came off the Acura dealership when they were sold, 100% stock and unmodified?

Your seem to be awfully negative about the NSX and want to pick fights with the owners. Are you sure this is the right car for you?

i'm not negative, just realistic. I've seen Civics go 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile, but they're obviously not stock either. I own an NSX, will probably buy another shortly. obviously I quite like the car. I drive mine every day. in fact, I was just preaching about it earlier to a mate of mine, about how easy it is to live with. but I don't live in a dreamland where every NSX is the most perfect creation known to mankind and the fastest car ever made. it may be possible for a stock NSX to do a mid-12 second 1/4 mile, but that would be hard to believe. just my opinion, numbers are numbers boys...

Last edited:
i'm not negative, just realistic. I've seen Civics go 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile, but they're obviously not stock either. I own an NSX, will probably buy another shortly. obviously I quite like the car. I drive mine every day. in fact, I was just preaching about it earlier to a mate of mine, about how easy it is to live with. but I don't live in a dreamland where every NSX is the most perfect creation known to mankind and the fastest car ever made. it may be possible for a stock NSX to do a mid-12 second 1/4 mile, but that would be hard to believe. just my opinion, numbers are numbers boys...
I would say realistically, 99% of NSX's are 13 second cars.

my prior nsx was taken to the track by the new owner and ran 12.7 in the quarter. stock internals, 4.23 gear, wheels and tires, exhaust and headers.....

One of the NSX owners in Michigan is a former writer/tester for one of the car mags -- think it was Car and Driver. He told me that the abuse to the machinery to get the published 0-60 times was heartbreaking. I think I'll just yield right of way at the stop light grand prix to the guy in the Mustang GT.............. I'm totally ok with that.

Best,
Jeff

Back