Your view of '04 TL

My wife and I are toying around with the idea trading getting a new '04 TL. Since I value the opinion of 'most' of the fine members of this board I thought I would get your thoughts.
Debating on whether to trade in her '01 Mustang and let her drive it or trade/sell my NSX and get for myself.
What do I do?????

I really like the new TL. If I were in your shoes I would trade the Mustang and get the TL. If you trade the NSX you will have two cars that will depreciate at a rapid rate, the TL and the mustang.

Trading in the Mustang for the 04 TL? Yup, slam dunk!!! (Assuming financial impact is manageable.)

If you end up with the TL at the cost of your NSX.......No deal.

Cya Mustang. Get rid of the POS.

We have had our TL for 3 months now and it has been great. Plenty of power and luxury. Fun to drive. Great looking. You cannot go wrong. That is, unless you sold your NSX. Then you went WAY wrong...

Gotta agree with everyone else. Get the TL and trade in the stang. I love the new TL. Like viper says "plenty of power and luxury". The car picks up very nicely test drove the auto when it first came out. I was considering buying a TL until i bought my NSX :D

Get rid of tha POS NSX.:D

j/k. Test drive the TL. I have heard that it has alot of torque steer.

NSXLuvr said:
Get rid of tha POS NSX.:D

j/k. Test drive the TL. I have heard that it has alot of torque steer.

The automatic does not have much torque steer at all. The manual is supposed to be pretty bad for tq steer.

Car and Driver just raped the car because it was not rear wheel drive. Well, tell you what.. in the real world FWD is better. Maybe not on a racetrack, but seriously, who is going to take the TL on a racetrack. That is what the NSX is for.

The 03 TL-S I had last year showed almost no torque steer whatsoever, one of the main reasons I went with it over the Maxima. I can't imagine Acura came to market with one that was a step backwards - the reviews I've read so far make mention that you wouldn't even know it's front wheel drive because of the complete lack of torque steer. That said, I've only sat in the 04 and listened to the incredible DVD audio system - very impressive!:D

Todd

Consumer Reports sure likes it. I'll have to check it out myself. Been looking to upgrade my daily driver (Civic).

Redesigned for 2004, the Acura TL is a significant improvement over the previous version. Overall, it scored well enough in our tests not only to top this month’s group, but to edge out the BMW 330i as the best upscale sedan that we’ve tested (see the Ratings chart). The 330i had held the top ranking for nearly three years.

The TL is based on the Honda Accord V6, which has also received excellent scores in our tests. It’s more fun to drive than its predecessor and feels more like a sports sedan. The TL also has a comfortable, impeccably detailed interior and a refined 3.2-liter, V6 engine that achieved both the quickest acceleration and best fuel economy of this group.

Most of the top models in the upscale-sedan category use rear-wheel drive, which typically helps a car‘s handling and steering. While the front-wheel-drive TL didn’t quite match the BMW 330i in at-the-limit handling performance, its agility and power make it invigorating to drive. At $33,150, it also costs about $7,000 less than a comparably equipped 330i.

The Lexus ES330 scored well in our tests and now ranks fourth in this category. The ES330 is basically the same as last year’s version except for a new 3.3-liter V6, which boosts horsepower from 210 to 225 and slightly improves acceleration and fuel economy. In contrast to the higher-rated sedans, the ES330 makes no pretenses about being a sports sedan. It is designed to provide a comfortable, quiet, relaxing driving experience, not one that’s exciting and fun.

The Saab 9-5 has not changed significantly since it was introduced in 1998. Although it is rated very good overall, this six-year-old model has been surpassed by more recently designed cars. The Arc version that we tested has a quick 220-hp, 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and a spacious cabin and trunk. But the ride, refinement, and fit-and-finish aren’t up to competitive standards.

The Volvo S60, introduced for 2001, has received some engine and steering tweaks since then. We chose the midline 2.5T version, which comes with a turbocharged 208-hp five-cylinder engine. Like the other cars we tested in this group, our S60 was front-wheel drive, although an all-wheel drive version is available for about $1,800 more. The S60 performed well enough overall to get a good Rating. However, its stiff ride, tight rear seat, compromised visibility, and uninspired handling caused it to finish last in the category.

As a sign of how strong competition is in this class, all four of the cars we tested performed well enough to be recommended, even though two are ranked at the bottom of the category Ratings list. The as-tested prices of this group range from $33,150 for the Acura to $36,955 for the Saab.

The category we classify as upscale sedans consists of models that range from about $30,000 to $40,000. In the industry, they are often called “near-luxury” or “entry-luxury.” Compared with family sedans, which are usually priced in the mid-to-high $20,000 range for V6 versions, these vehicles typically have more features, a plusher interior, and newer technology.

Are upscale sedans worth the extra money? Not always. As an overall package, our highest-rated V6 family sedans, such as the Volkswagen Passat, Toyota Camry, and Honda Accord, scored higher in our tests than most of the vehicles in this category, and they cost about $3,000 to $9,000 less.

Easiest comparion ever! Get the TL.

NetViper said:
Cya Mustang. Get rid of the POS.

You cannot go wrong. That is, unless you sold your NSX. Then you went WAY wrong...

I stopped by the local Acura dealer last week to pick up a brocure on the 04 MDX since the wife wants a new SUV. Couldn't take my eyes off the TL sitting next to it on the showroom floor. The next day at lunch I went to follow-up on the MDX and ended up test driving the TL. This is a beautiful car and as LeftLane indicated, the DVD stereo is absolutely over the top fantastic.

I ended up ordering an 04 Pearl White MDX for my wife, but can't get the TL out of my mind. I drove the automatic, and I definitely detected the torque steer. Having said that, as NetViper said, use the NSX for the track. Not a big deal to me for the daily driver.

Here's my quandry. We just had our second child 3 weeks ago and before that, I rarely pulled the cover off the X to drive it. Don't get me wrong, I absoultely love the NSX and don't think there is a better working man's exotic out there, but I just don't drive it much. I could basically sell the NSX, buy the TL with the proceeds, sell my daily driver ('00 Accord V6 sedan), and pocket $12-15K. Plus, I would have a much more spirited daily driver. (As you can see, I like Hondas). Downside is obviously that the NSX goes.

My intent is not to "rob" this thread, but I would like some input from others on this.

isonsx - I felt the same way when I saw a new owner taking delivery of a desert gold colored TL with the 18" wheel option - it looked incredible! I considered selling my NSX and 2000 Suburban, buying the TL, and having around $15k left over. In the end, I didn't do it, but it sure was tempting!

ISONSX,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. That is the type of comments and feedback I'm looking for. I felt like I was reading exactly what I was thinking.
I don't have any kids right now but when they do come along, I will have them in a 'H' or 'A' car somehow. I only drive my X on the weekends for the most part since I have the Integra for a daily driver. Hard to belive I am saying this, but I actually get more use and practicality from the Integra.
Just so confused right now :confused: . Maybe I should just sit back and wait a couple of months before making a rash decision. Would be nice to get a trade in.
Please keep advice coming.

92NSX, why don't you use the NSX as a daily driver? That is what I do. Sell the Integra. You don't need it.

Naaa, I don't think so

NetViper said:
92NSX, why don't you use the NSX as a daily driver? That is what I do. Sell the Integra. You don't need it.
Contrary to popular belief, I don't trust my NSX enough to be a daily driver. Due to past luck with it.:(
I have total faith and confidence in my Integra. Besides, I just paid it off a few months ago and don't ever plan on getting rid of it. It has been way to good to me.
If either of them goes it will be the NSX.

92NSX said:
ISONSX,
...Just so confused right now :confused: . Maybe I should just sit back and wait a couple of months before making a rash decision. Would be nice to get a trade in.
Please keep advice coming.

92NSX
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I too have decided to sleep on it for awhile. When I purchased my 92 NSX a year ago (sound familar?), I had full intentions of making it my daily driver. However, when I got it home, I felt it was sooo nice that I just couldn't imagine parking it in my office parking lot downtown, in parking lots, etc. So I dediced to keep the Accord as a daily driver.

As Netviper sugested to make it the daily driver, that is a definite possibility for all of us garage queen owners. For me personally, however, the financial implication of owning the X is not the restrictive issue. My problem is that the company that I work for has gone through massive downsizings and severe cost saving initiatives. I am responsible for Corporate Finance and therefore have had to be a catalyst for many of these difficult decisions. This might sound trivial to some, but it would send the wrong message to many people at my office if I pull up every day in a flashy red exotic sports car when they haven't had a raise in 3 years. I DO NOT drive it to the office for that specific reason. Hey, I need to look hungry too.

The decision for me comes down to thinking about how I could somehow find one car that combines the best element of the NSX with a plain vanilla good 'ol daily driver like the Accord. I've quickly come to the conclusion that it's impossible. You will ultimately have to sacrifice key elements of what makes us all so attracted to such as great car as the NSX. I only have 2 garage bays and three cars with the NSX currently. The X stays under a cover in the garage and of course as any married man would be required to do, the other bay belongs to my wife's vehicle. If I could one car that would satisfy my divergent needs / desires, I would do it. However, I've looked at every sport sedan I can think of in the $30-40K range - used Lexus GS 300 & 430, 99-01 BMW 740i sport, M5, 330CiC, G35, Mercedes CLK320 and 430 cabs, etc. Most of these will be at least 3-4 years old and will cost an absolute minimum of $30K for a clean 35-50K mile car. Then, you drive it everyday and two to three years later good luck selling a 7 year old high end luxury sedan. You'll take a minimum $10-15 K hit on it. There's where my complete confusion resides. Keep the NSX, drive the Accord during the week, or sell them both and find something that will be significantly more sporting / fun that I can drive everyday. That's why I am seriously considering the TL. It is such a great car. Although it has the same 270 HP rating as my NSX, make no bones about it, not the same. The TL would carry a 4 year warranty, has a 62% residual after 39 months (higher than the MDX I ordered a few days ago), and I great looking IMO.

Sorry for the long rant, but I too am confused about what to do. Keep the feedback coming.

Hi Maurice, it sounds like you've had some bad experiences with your NSX, whether due to aftermarket mods I don't know. However, if you no longer perceive it as reliable, then that's going to affect your enjoyment of the car. Like the old adage says, "you don't miss something till it's gone", maybe you need to try something different before you can truly appreciate the NSX again. There are several NSX owners who've regretted selling their NSXs and ended up buying another one, but you won't know if you're in that boat until you do it. Have you thought about going to the TL boards and finding someone willing to swap cars for the short interim? I imagine there must be lots of local TL owners that would jump at the chance to pal around in an NSX...and it would give you the chance to live without the NSX to see if you miss it.

ISONSX: one of the reasons I don't drive my NSX to work is that I also do not want to present a "flashy" image. However, while a new TL may not raise as many eyebrows as your NSX, it will certainly get more noticed than your Accord. If you're basing that as the argument, it makes sense to keep the NSX as the weekender and continue to use your Accord as the beater.

You can run all the numbers you want, and argue about practicality till you're blue in the face, but ultimately it comes down to how *you* feel about the NSX. None of us can guide you on this decision, because (besides the fact that we're all NSX-crazy here) you can't really rationalize something as impractical as the NSX. You either love it or you don't.

Good luck guys, whatever your decision may be.

A bit offtopic but I had a chance to visit IBM's Pervasive lab today where IBM work/helps various other companies in developing solutions and new innovations into their products. The guide mentioned that Honda came to their lab and saw their voice activated web...stuff...system and I think that's were some of the niffty new tech stuff in the new TL came from.

I think IBM is also working with John Deere (known for farm tractor...etc) in trying to develop HP on demand where an engine management system can download some software codes that gives the tractor some extra HP in a period of time with the extra HP is needed. And download some other gas saving software when not pulling heavy loads. John Deere is currently building infrastructure for future expansion into IT businesses...

Ok WAY offtopic on the last paragraph but it really was a cool tour with bunch of neat stuff.

NetViper said:

Car and Driver just raped the car because it was not rear wheel drive. Well, tell you what.. in the real world FWD is better. Maybe not on a racetrack, but seriously, who is going to take the TL on a racetrack. That is what the NSX is for.

Respectfully, I don't necessarily agree with you.

While I agree that most of us make way to big a deal out of whether a car is FWD or RWD or AWD, I feel that torque steer can affect my feelings about owning and driving a car long term.

I test drove the new TL in a manual and really liked the car but for the torque steer. Its a great package and a tremendous value and probably the right car for many, many people. But I enjoy the occassional corner and freeway onramp too much to accept torque steer.

Honda has done a great job in most of its FWD cars and I've read that the auto TL doesn't have the problem the manual does. But then again, maybe as other trade rags have suggested, the physics have finally caught up with Honda's wizadry. Steering while directing that much power to the pavement just doesn't seem to work.

it sounds like you've had some bad experiences with your NSX, whether due to aftermarket mods
That is the understatement of the year.:D
I do enjoy the car but just don't seem to have the passion for it anymore like I have/did in the past. I went without it for 9 mos last year so I have a good idea of what it is like. At first I was going crazy without it but eventually I didn't miss it.
There are several NSX owners who've regretted selling their NSXs and ended up buying another one
I have already been down that road once before. I truly think that when/if I sell it this time it is over for me and these cars.

I guess I am just like a kid looking at the candy in the window of the store. I really like what I see inside and want to do whatever it takes to be allowed in. Does that make sense?
manual and really liked the car but for the torque steer
I was under the impression that it was more pronounced in the automatic trans??? :confused:
I know I need to test drive one and see if in fact it is the car for me or not.

The X stays under a cover in the garage and of course as any married man would be required to do, the other bay belongs to my wife's vehicle.
My wifes car sits outside. Both my Acuras stay inside. I am certain that would change if we were to get the TL. The ole faithful Integra would have to sleep outside then. :(

My wifes car sits outside. Both my Acuras stay inside. I am certain that would change if we were to get the TL. The ole faithful Integra would have to sleep outside then. :( [/B][/QUOTE]

NSX - How do you manage that? Man, I need some better negotiating skills than I guess I have. My wife's SUV stays in the other bay clean and warm / cool (depending on the season) while my daily driver sits in the elements. I agree with you, it WILL change if you ge the TL. Good luck in you decision.

Back