Your Other Car..

Anders-

I'm currently interested in motorcycles but my brother and friends tell me that I'm too light. I'd like to start off with something around 500cc so I don't go and kill myself and then, as I get more experienced, switch to something like SS900 or 998R (I've loved Ducati eversince I saw them on "Fled" with Fishbourne/Baldwin)

I'm ~5'11, 160lbs...am I too small/light? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm still not too familiar with motorcycles.

Size isn't all that important. Balance, attention, and experience are. I'm 5'11" and recently dropped from 215 to 170 lbs. My 500 lbs Hayabusa and 700 lbs VTX-1800 never felt so good. I have a friend who’s 5' nothing and just a shade over a hundred pounds that handles a big CBR1000 like a toy.

However, since you are brand new to motorcycles I strongly suggest you start with a light, non-plastic bike. Motorcycles can be very heavy, and once you get them beyond their balance point they are very difficult to stop, no matter how big you are. You are very likely to drop your first bike. Look for something like a GS500, or EX500 as a starter bike. Plenty of power to keep you interested, good handling, but light enough to help cover for small errors in judgement.

Also, take a Motorcycle safety course. Highly recommended by most riders.

'91 range rover custom painted-winter
'01 ML430 -wife and our 2yr old twins
'31 chopped top coupe chanelled on '32 rails w/ 327 vette motor sporting 3x2 carbs featured in American Rodder,Rod & Custom,Street Scene,and on the cover of Street Rodder.built by me and my father.

Back