youngest nsx owner here?

Oh Jeez...here we go again. :tongue:
Let the guy "always pay cash for his cars" and I PROMISE you he will be in much better financial shape in 15 years than if he didn't. End of story. :wink:

The rate of return differential game is not without risk ya know. Ask The Donald circa 1991.
Dude, I totally hear you... risk has to be managed very well... proper risk management does divide the rich from the poor though. :) Also notice my second paragraph... I say that liabilities should be purchased with cash. :biggrin: :biggrin: Read it all my friend... read it all. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Always bustin' my chops ski! :)

Redshift for the love of God!!! Post more pics of wifey! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Cheers
hehe, here's one from the college days.... err... 2.5 years ago... calendar shoot :biggrin:
gelcal.jpg

Oops... sorry guys... back on track...

I finance ALL of my vehicles. My money is much better spent on investments. I spend $50k on a car.... I have a car. I put $5k down on a car and use the other $45k to buy property... I can turn it into 10x's that in less than 90 days...

I'm not saying paying all cash wouldn't be beneficial for anyone... but it's not always the best route... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Right on dude! So very true... though 10% - 12% return is for wimps. :wink: Don't forget that dollars leverage more dollars as well, so the more capital you have to "invest" with, the more OPM you can put to use for you. Though I would have to disagree about the cash flow statement; you're only cash flowing if the money that would otherwise be used for the purchase of the vehicle is making you more money than your debt service rate. I don't think sticking your money in an index (S&P500 or similar) fund is a very good option to try to beat your debt service rate, and how many people actually deploy the money they didn't use to buy the car? Plus you're also assuming that the buyer has enough capital to purchase the vehicle outright, if they do not, then financing is not a good option (unless you're buying an appreciating asset). But yeah, for the disciplined few who can properly allocate their money, financing is a great option.

Indeed 10-12% is conservative, but for the sake of conversation and the headache of people jumping down my throat exclaiming that I could never beat the market I kept it there. :wink:
Kudos to the smart money.

Thats innacurate, by the halfway point of your loan (2.5 years), you would have paid off half of the car or around $15,000 in principal while only paying around $3200 in interest. So your principal reduction was nearly five times more than your interest charges.
The loan amount is $30k X 60 month from Bank of Santa Clara. Went through half of payment book. I took action when I realized I was paying far more than I had imagined in interest. Most of your point are correct and I do agree, I was nineteen once. However $3200 is not even close in interest money alone though mid point.

Financing is a fantastic option for most people, even the very wealthy. If you can get a competitive interest rate at 5% for a car loan, and you are making 10-12% compounded in the market, financing is a better option. Not only are you freeing up cash flow (cash is king) but you are also using someone else's money to your benefit, while still turning a profit in the end. Why use your own money unless of course you can't stand the hassles involved in not owning your vehicle out right. (titling, insurance, etc)
Everyone have their own smart money and what works for them. Some people just enjoy the stress free/debt free feeling. Does everyone always win in the investing game or gambling? There are more loser than winners in the investing game. Snowball effect can go opposite directions.

Taking out a loan to invest or buy a piece of property is good debt, however I can't see how taking out loan to buy a car or other luxury goods can be considered smart debt. What happen in the event that investment fails and tight up the fund.

I invest, not quite the cutting edge type of investing as most of you. However I turn far better than 10~12% and enable me to work very few hours, and travel frequently doing what I enjoy with virutally unlimited freedom and own multiple properties.

Lastly, you had mentioned that you use CD's to park your money. You had also mentioned something about "laughing all the way to the bank". Well, that is exactly what a bank does when you sign a CD with them. Essentially, you are giving them the right to use your money while they pay you a rather poor real rate of interest (after taxes and inflation). To add insult to injury they tell you when and how you can get YOUR money back. And if you want it back before they are ready to give it up, they stack huge fines on you. You should do some updated research on car loans and cd's because you dont' seem to have a grasp of either.
Depends. CD is very flexible. From 4.4% Citi-bank E-saving to a E-Trade money market at 5%. These are as flexible as a regular checking accounts with no early withdraw penalty. The longer term with restrictions will offer even higher return. There is no need to tight up 100% of fund in a single CD, you can have multiple CDs in one bank in different terms and CD in several banks, move the fund around. You take the +4.5~5.5% you gain depending on CD term and -6~8% you lose in loan interest. The +/- margin is easily +10%. Unless the investment turn out as well as planned. It can be depressing. Whenyou take out a loan to buy a car for purpose of re-investing, the very first thing investment need to do is overcome this +/-. Not every one use the loan for the right reason. For those who do use it for the right reason and make a postive out of it. I admire their sense and skill.

Really the only lesson you should have learned from this was to shop around for car loan rates. You didn't get such a bad deal as you seem to think.
The most important lesson I learn is settle for what I can afford, avoid bad debts for non essential things. My post while sound generalized, really is just my personal experience, nothing more. Really no need to take it to the heart or have hard feelings.

I had horrible experience witht the first time car loan, you are indeed correct I should had shopped around for better rates. I am gald I did had the opportunity to learn it the hard way during my teens. I didn't get the loan privately, it was set up by the dealership (Lexus of Fremont).

Car loan is not necessarily bad, with a great rate, the monthly payment can be just a really tiny portion of someone's steady income. Spreading out over time does relive some stress and allow someone to buy a nicer car than if they had to pay 1 full lump sum.

While you can free up the money otherwise would be spent on car by taking out the loan. Do you really have to go that extent and put every penny to work?

Lastly, you had mentioned that you use CD's to park your money. You had also mentioned something about "laughing all the way to the bank". Well, that is exactly what a bank does when you sign a CD with them. Essentially, you are giving them the right to use your money while they pay you a rather poor real rate of interest (after taxes and inflation).
Maybe you got me wrong. CD can be very flexible, useful tool, park the money between use. If you use e-trade, you can park money between use and earn 5% on the money market, ready for action at anytime. There is no such thing as free lunch, the same goes for the loan.

As it pertains to cars, I don't finance liabilities. Don't forget that you're losing value to depreciation so the otherwise non-invested capital (if you buy the car in cash) is losing value when you finance. The problem is that you're still making payments on its initial value at the time of purchase. Cash (especially USD) also loses value over time, so I'd rather just buy the liability with another liability... it is much easier to track your gain/loss that way since you're really only paying the difference between inflation and depreciation. :wink:
Sound like you know your stuff. Keep up the great work. Whatever works for you.

Last edited:
I got mine when I was 19 and still have it :biggrin:

ALMOST bought one when I was 17, but almost doesnt count :tongue:

Adnan VCS

Not sure what you consider heavy stuff but I was in your country/netherlands in march and man you people know how to have a good time:biggrin:

an Indonesian pulled up with a Purple NSX

Indonesian students in Oz have very nice cars. One guy i knew got a grand a week just for "spending money". Had a $5,000 stereo installation in his car, that he then paid to have removed and reinstalled again after his parents had come to visit him, as he didnt want them to know what he was spending the cash on.

Adnan VCS

Not sure what you consider heavy stuff but I was in your country/netherlands in march and man you people know how to have a good time:biggrin:
Heavy stuff is like a whisky, rum (higher alcohol level stuff)
Beer and that kinda stuff is 16+

Don't know the law in full detail but i am not a drinker any way!

Indonesian students in Oz have very nice cars. One guy i knew got a grand a week just for "spending money". Had a $5,000 stereo installation in his car, that he then paid to have removed and reinstalled again after his parents had come to visit him, as he didnt want them to know what he was spending the cash on.
Damm what a waist of money for $5,000 i would get some performance upgrades lol

he can afford performance upgrades too. usually they only stay (students) until the degree is done, sell the car and then return to indo. Only playtoys most times.

Heavy stuff is like a whisky, rum (higher alcohol level stuff)
Beer and that kinda stuff is 16+

Don't know the law in full detail but i am not a drinker any way!

Interesting that they seperate liquor from beer in right to drink over here its all the same age

We live how we want to live.

We sacrifice what we want for things that we want more.

In the end if they are the wrong decisions you will learn them through the best way, through your own experience.

People who have things given to them are believed to have given to others in another lifetime.

You give more, you will get more. Just my belief.

Cheers.

We live how we want to live.

We sacrifice what we want for things that we want more.

In the end if they are the wrong decisions you will learn them through the best way, through your own experience.

People who have things given to them are believed to have given to others in another lifetime.

You give more, you will get more. Just my belief.

Cheers.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

The guy that I knew with the decked out twin turbo NSX told his parents that he bought a Honda. With what I understand cars cost in Indonesia, his parents didn't even flinch at the fact that a "Honda" could cost $60K, or whatever '95 NSXs were going for in '98.

im 19 i paid less for mine than a new civic and millions of kids drive new civics... i dont understand the huge deal...

I was 19 when I financed mine and 20 when I finaly recieved the car. I bought it for around 20k and have about 10k invested into maintnance and cleaning her up. A good friend of mine was 18 when he bought his srt for brand new for 22k..... I laugh at him all the time since mine still books for the same it did two years ago practically and his books for about 13k now. I pretty much made this an investment as the large money I put down has been money well spent.

Btw im 22 Feb 2nd and have 1.4 years of school left.

Wow.
I'm of Indonesian background and I have 2 NSX's now.

too afraid to list the age I got my coupe.

I bought my 95 NSX-T, and paid cash when I was 20... I buy and sell cars in order to finance things and have always worked full time while also being in college full time, also paid for my myself. Doesn't make me any different than any other nsx owner though...

I got mine when i was 13. Wasn't at legal age to drive so I used my first NSX trunk for 3 more years to grow sprouts so that I can finance wheels and tires.

Back