wristwatch advice

hey everyone, I'm looking to get a nice wristwatch for myself. Any price range is Ok, though im not sure about sporting a rolex around my clients(not ruling it out though).

Any thoughts ideas on upscale brands I should consider--price recommendations for models would also be appreciated. I know how much jewelers can mark up this stuff.

What watch are YOU wearing?

Thanks for the help.

Patek Phillipe makes some of the best complicated watches, Girard-Perregaux has some nice watches, including their Ferrari watches, and Piaget is also a personal favorite of mine.

Huckster, Looking for something sporty? Dressy? Combo?
It sounds like you want something understated, with posting the concern of sporting a rolex in front of your clients.
I love watches, though I am no expert by any means. I like Brietlings, Vacherons, Tags, IWC, Audemar, there are so many.
The price ranges are all over the place. To give you an idea, some people think Rolex's are entry level. With the prices of some of the more complicated watches out there, based on price I would agree. My favorites are the Tag and Breitlings for everyday wear.
I have a thing for automatics and vintage chrono's. The more gadgets the better. Here is a link that will give you an idea about all of the different brands and styles that are available.
http://www.watchnet.com/
There are other links off of that. Omega, Bell, Sinn, Lecoultre, are also good brands. The watch I want more than all right now is the original stainless Rolex Daytona Chrono.
CK is right Patek stuff is top shelf as well, all the way up to $1mil.
But they have watches at the 3k price point as well. Retail is rediculous. If you can go with a jeweler to a watch show it will blow your mind at the prices these things are exchanged at vs. what retail is.

There are tens of thousands of quality wristwatches so if I were to narrow it down according to the fact that I know we are both sports (car) enthusiasts who like gadgets that are reliable, unique, but also reasonably attainable & likely to wear as opposed to a exotic "garage queen"of a wrist watch, my choices would be:

Rolex Daytona Chronograph (aka the "Paul Newman") w/ black dial, rare & usually commands a higher price than the gold & stainless version. Will hold it's value & likely escalate in value over time. It's big & you can distinguish this piece a mile away! Wear this & you da man! About $8,000-9,000

Tudor "Tiger" (Woods) Chronograph- this is Rolex's lower end brand which looks very similar to the above watch, but includes a date feature. It is a "poor man's" Daytona. These are discontinued, but you can easily find new old stock on ebay. The older ones are nicer i.e. prior to Tiger Woods' endorsement as they were, I believe made using shared original Rolex parts, whereas the Tiger models were made using less Rolex parts & more Tudor-specific fabricated parts. The latest versions suck as the brand was later sold off altogether & designs have strayed away from looking Rolex-like. About $1,250-1,400

Rolex Datejust w/ "Thunderbird" Bezel, also very rare if you can find it in stainless steel w/ oyster bracelet. The unique feature is the rotating bezel that keeps track of elapsed time--it's white gold. Again, more sought after than it's two-tone version. My current time piece. About $2,900-3,400

Panerai Marina in brushed stainless steel w/ matching bracelet & blue dial, 40 mm version. These run huge & so I'd go w/ the 40 rather than 44mm version, this particular combo seems to be relatively rare. These are the Hummers of wristwatches. Unique feature is a hinged clasp that covers the crown designed for added security during deep sea dives, these watches were originally designed for the Italian equivalent of Navy SEALS. About $3,800-$4,200

Cartier Roadster. These are relatively new & are a really sharp modern take on the classic Cartier square tank watches. These feature a quick change clasp for switching between leather & stainless bands, both are included. About $3,600

Omega Michael Schumacher Speedster Chronograph. Look carefully for the latest series, these are nicer looking, more rare, I believe 2001 on up (look for a true carbon fiber dial w/ a large number 1 for the one o'clock position) These were a limited edition of 600 world-wide in 2001 or 2002 I believe. His autograph is stamped into the back. The older versions were tacky & were available in red & yellow w/ matching color leather bands, those are not sought after. A very good value in Swiss automatic chronographs. About $1,250-1,400

I don't like brands like TAG Heuer, Movado, etc. for the same reason I prefer the NSX over the c5 Corvette & hate when people mistake one for the other, that's the best analogy I can give. Of course just my opinion, but basically, these are mainstream brands are just a dime a dozen & the bands are usually made of rolled metal links rather than solid held together by cheap pressure fitted pins as oppossed to treaded screw pins.

Patek Phillipes, Vacherons, Audemars Piagets, etc. are all out of my league & couldn't justify that kinda dough for a watch, these are the Bentleys or Maybachs of wristwatches.

I would post pics if I weren't lazy, just do a search on ebay for what each of these look like. Let us know what you decide on!

I agree with quickslver, Except for the TAG's the entry level tags are cheesy. I have a 6000 series and a link that are works of art.
The watch is a tank. It's very accurate. The band is made with screws and billet pieces tied together very intricately.

Cartier is really a designer piece. The movements are terrible.
Particularly the automatics.

Ditto on the Paul Newman watch. It is nice. The pre-tiger tudors chrono's as q'slvr stated are nice as well. They also hold their value. You will also find that alot of the watches are using the same movements. The price is the determined by the rest of the construction of the watch. Is is made of gold, Titanium, platinum, ect. ect. and more importantly whose name is on it.

Movado has a Kingmatic that is basically the same watch as a Zenith El primero for half the price. The movement that is in the Rolex Chrono can be found in lots of watches.

Omega Sea masters and Speedmasters are excellent watches.
They hold up well. The look sporty and elegant with the right band. Another consideration is multiple bands for the watch. It changes the watch to fit the mood.
These run old/new and high/low
I have a few out for display here.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]/lst?.dir=/Hobbies&.view=t

Last edited:
Since you don't seem to have a preference as to brand, maybe a price range would help. You said a "nice" wristwatch; that could mean a lot of things to a lot of people. I agree that the Rolex Daytona in white gold is one of the nicest watches out there, but if you want to avoid Rolex for its name recognition, that watch is out of the question. I would also stay away from Cartier unless it is purely for a fashion statement. For their prices, you can pick up a nice watch from a respected watchmaker. Omega has some nice models but they are very common, even Costco sells them these days!

If I may, I would like to insert my opinion regarding watches. I am an attorney, and was taught that clients must think that you are successful. When I was shopping for a watch I insisted on a mechanical watch. Who wants a quartz watch, as there is little difference between a $5 quartz Swatch and a quartz Tag or Movado? As a car nut, I have always lusted after a Rolex Dayton, both for the association with racing, as well as for the fact that it is a mechanical watch. After my first jury trial, I finally found a stainless and gold Daytona with a gold face. I would have preferred a white face or even the full stainless with the white face, but they are practically unavailable. what I have noticed is that a) people recognize its a Rolex and immediately the impression that I am somewhat successful is conveyed, and 2) true watch people understand and respect it, thus opening some doors. It may seem a stretch, but I swear its true. I would say get the best watch that you can afford, and the style that you like. If you are unable or unwilling to go with this kind of watch, a friend of mine, who is a total watch fan has been buying German chronographs off Ebay. They have run from $120 to $280. While they are obviously not gold, they are steel, they do look nice.

I am very happy with my Cartier Pasha SS Chronograph 38mm and can't wait to receive the new Cartier Roadster Chronograph !

My other favorites watches are the Panerai Luminor 44mm and the Breitling Bentley Motors Chronograph 48.7mm !

I wear two watches regularly.

1. Rolex Submariner blue face, gold and SS. It's a nice watch, but big as an alarm clock and if I don't wear it every day, it runs down and needs to be reset. Also, knock-offs that cost $50 look very similar from a short distance.

2. Rado Ceramica multi-function. If you've never checked out Rado, I encourage you to do so. Like an NSX, this watch gets lots of comments, like "wow.. what kind of watch is that". Rado's claim to fame is the materials that most of their watches are make of.. ceramics, sapphire, and titanium. These are truly scatch-proof watches, not just the crystal, but the whole watch and band. I like the Ceramica model best. Its available in three different widths and its band integrates into the watch seamlessly. The multi-function digital readout is really trick. The digits appear as metalic gold that matches the hands on a black background. A feature lets you turn off the digital display. When the display is off, it vanishes into the black face and you cannot see any evidence of it. very cool. Check it out at www.rado.com
And, there is no knock-off watch that looks like it because in order to get the look the watch would have to be made out of the ceramic material and have the convex sapphire crystal that is somewhat costly. Price is in the range of $1000-2000.

I've had the Rado for over 10 years and it looks like brand new; not a scratch on it. I've had the Rolex about 3 years.... it was an impulse buy, and it definatly looks used... not bad, but it won't pass as new.

i have a rubber digital timex that will outperform the best mechanical watch.
however, if telling time was not my main objective, i'd love to have an iwc portuguese perpetual calendar watch. it only loses 1 day for every 577 days! that's about as close to digital as you'll get with an automatic.

My fiance presented me an Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer as a gift, knowing how much of a 007 fan I am. Pierce Brosnan has worn this watch in the past four Bond movies (Die Another Day, The World Is Not Enough, Tomorrow Never Dies, and Goldeneye).

bg2_007_golden_eye.jpg

A few watch purists may scoff at buying a watch marketed in mainstream movies, but I love my watch! It has a wonderful design, and is perfect for every occasion... the sporty or the dressy look.
For deep sea divers, it has a helium escape valve and is waterproof to 300m/1000ft. Check it out at www.omegawatches.com. Click "The World Of Omega" and choose "007". I think it lists for around $1800 or so. Lasers, grappling hooks, and bomb detonators are optional.

25318000.jpg

I would agree with 9000RPMan about having a chronometer. There is something about having an automatic sweeping motion, rather than the battery powered, that appeals to me.
CK is right that you can buy some of these watches at Costco. However, be aware that they are not an authorized dealer, and thus the watch is not covered by Omega's warranty, nor is any other high-end watch sold at Costco covered by its manufacturer's warranty (I've seen Cartier Pashas, Tag Links, etc. there) for that matter. I think Costco offers their own warranty, but I'm not sure.
I also have a Movado, which is a beautiful watch. It is the thinnest watch that I have ever seen, but it is sometimes a pain to tell exactly what time it is, since there are no tick marks, and there is not a second hand sweeper.
If you are a race fan, an alternative to the Rolex Daytona is the Speedmaster which is Michael Schumacher's Choice.
You really can't go wrong with any of the watches mentioned by everyone here.

Last edited:
Enzo said:
I am very happy with my Cartier Pasha SS Chronograph 38mm and can't wait to receive the new Cartier Roadster Chronograph !

I forgot about that watch! I am not a big fan of Cartier, but I almost bought the Pasha Chrono myself on impulse in Vegas. Gotta love that skeleton back.

Regarding Costco and no warranties, I didn't know that was the case. Anyways, Costco has one of the most liberal return policies of any retail store. I know someone who actually had the gall to return a big screen TV almost five years after its original purchase at Costco after it broke. He had the receipt and they gave him full purchase price for it!

My rules for wristwatches, buy what you like and not what other people like. I personally enjoy watches that are simple but different; most importantly though, a watch that is all purpose, one that can be worn for sport or as an ornament to a fine suit. Therefore, I would never buy a Rolex then again, that's just me :p

I have had my Bvlgari Aluminium for over 5 years (way before the celebrities discovered it), and now I am sporting a Panerai Luminor Marina that I acquired just last year. However, if the funds permit it I would seriously look into more classic watch brands like the A Lange and Sohne (who by the way is considered the best watchmaker in the world), IWC, and Blancpain.

Here's a picture of my two most frequently worn watches.

ebay_0082.JPG

Aaahhh. I knew you guys would be helpful on this. Dont know how ive made it this far without buying a nice watch, but now it is time. :p

Patek Phillipes and LeCoultres didnt really do it for me. I did kind of like the LeCoultre reverso date in stainless though. Anybody know price on this?

Ive found, to my surprise, that i actually like the sport watches the best. The Omega seamaster is a favorite. And i really like the rolex explorer 2 and yachtmaster--stainless steel/platinum/white face style.

Considering this, any other watches i should consider? Fair prices for these watches? One brand over the other?

Im most concerned about buying a great watch that is a great value into the future--much like the nsx has been. Timeless classic and all that. But very functional and high quality.

I have a weakness for Longines.

http://www.longines.com

If you want true value, get one of the older automatic watches from any of the names mentioned. Omega, TAG, Movado are a step down from Longines. Breitling is nice but tends to be often too big. The others like Cartier, etc ... you are paying a premium for the name more than the internals. As for Rolex, well that's bling bling and they are a dime a dozen. I agree, if you want to bee seen in a Rolex, then you are the C5 or the P type ........... :D

Watches that maintain residual value are usually not made by jewelry makers (i.e. Cartier, Bvlgari, Gucci, etc). The one exception to the rule is of course Harry Winston. So, if resale value is of concern, I would definitely consider a Rolex, but then again it's a brand that has been so ostracized by watch lovers but so adorned by the general public. It really depends on what kind of reaction you are trying to get, if you want instant recognition from Joe Nobody from around the corner get the Rolex or Omega; however, if the complements of a watch aficionado is what you are after then seek out the more elusive brands such as the IWCs, Parmigiani (sp?), and the likes. If sport watches is what's attracting you I would definitely look into Breitling, IWC, and Girard Perregaux's Ferrari line.

An Omega Seamaster shoudl run you around $1000, any less any it'd be a good deal. The Rolex explorer is around $3,500. Anything around $3k is a decent deal on that watch.

ck said:
An Omega Seamaster shoudl run you around $1000, any less any it'd be a good deal. The Rolex explorer is around $3,500. Anything around $3k is a decent deal on that watch.

Actually, it depends on which Omega Seamaster. The battery-operated one may be a little over $1000, but the automatic will definitely cost more than that. There is also the regular size and the midsize, although I am not sure if there is a difference in price for those as well. The lowest I've seen it at an authorized store was for 20% off retail. With all the fake watches and fake certifications out there, I would hesitate to buy from anyone other than an authorized retailer. You have to wonder how they can sell a watch for so low, unless it is pre-owned. Under $1000 is definitely a good price, but you better do your due diligence, and find out how and why they would be able to sell it for that price. One thing you can do to protect yourself is to take the serial number located on the back of a watch (if it has a serial number)and call the manufacturer to ask them about the watch. There is a good chance that some of these watches may have some suspicious history to them.

Id forgotten about the Breitlings. What about the superocean?(auto) or the ChronoAvenger M1?(quartz)?

How do these rate? Good watches? Quality compared to rolex etc? Prices?

Huckster, I think you can tell by my post that I'm a big Rolex fan. People will say what they will about the overplayed, ostentatious Rolex, but I love watches and I always keep coming back to Rolex. I have had quite a few, but my more notable Rolexes have been the Explorer I & II, GMT, & current white gold & stainless Thunderbird. I didn't like the Explorer II (you mentioned) b/c the the black etched arabic numerals on the bezel eventually peeled off. For me, the allure of Rolex is in the fact that almost no two desirable Rolexes are alike. It is one of a few brands that offers such an endless selection of factory & aftermarket dials, bezels, bands, etc., i.e. they are very customizable. On top of that, there's the history, the precedents, prestige, status, and sponsorships (24 Hours of Daytona), etc. Most Rolexes always appreciate in value long term. A desirable piece from the early 80's usually sells for not much less than one from the late 90's. This is usually due to their timeless & stagnant designs which have changed very little over the years, much like the NSX!

breitling makes a fantatic watch (imo), they have quite a few different models to choose from, on the higher end, i have been considering a Muller multiple styles but rather pricey, Cartier makes some really nice pieces, and i just picked up a Corum Automatic Bubble watch in yellow with yellow rubber diving strap to match my yellow '02 NSX, a great conversation piece for short money, the entire crystal is an 11mm thick oyster crystal, similar to the oyster over the date on a rolex. check them out if want something a little different and then there is a Jacob and Co. if you want to go with the "Bling Bling" i have one and its huge 47mm with 4 diffent colored straps, with 3 interchangeable bezels, 1 stainless, 1 18k gold, 1 w/3.25 ct diamonds, limited use though.

This is my favorite watch for day use, not too flashy but great looking. Its stainless with a platinum bezel. My work watch.
16628_ym.jpg

thanks again everyone for the input. Yeah, i really liked the rolex yachtmaster also. Looks very nice on the wrist.

Im leaning towards the breitling chronometre Headwind model. foung one with oyster background. has the day & date. 500 meter.

Anyone have any opinions/info on this watch?

Also, price range (bend over to good deal) :eek:

huckster said:
thanks again everyone for the input. Yeah, i really liked the rolex yachtmaster also. Looks very nice on the wrist.

Im leaning towards the breitling chronometre Headwind model. foung one with oyster background. has the day & date. 500 meter.

Anyone have any opinions/info on this watch?

Also, price range (bend over to good deal) :eek:

Huckster. These are very nice. A great price would be at the $2200 price point. They usually are bought between 2750-3000 or more if you opt for the Stainless Band in some cases another 1.1k, Also prices will vary depending on stainless, stainles/gold, 14kyg, or with diamonds. Be careful where you buy it. Breitlings are knocked off like crazy, with excellent likeness in some cases. I wouldn't be afraid of Costco/Sams carrying these. Their warranties are as good as the 1 year that you get from the manufacturer. If you want a big watch check out the Hercules as well. Also a nice watch.

Check these links out.
http://www.ashford.com/category/ind...lid=5WPLN1001618&categoryId=1057813&cp=975656
http://www.eworldofwatches.com/shopping.asp

http://www.watchuseek.com/imagegal.htm
Happy hunting
Len

Back