wristwatch advice

hey len, thanks for the help so much. Sounds like i did 'ok' on pricing. The jeweler(authourized dealer) sold it to me for 2900--no haggling. That was with stainless steel band et cetera. That was also with the oyster background--not white or black(dont know if that really makes any difference price wise). And your right, his pricetag was 3300.

Anyway--i really like it. Seems like an ideal watch for me. Quality as good or better than rolex without the blingbling factor. Maybe the literature major in me is coming out--but ive always felt that the watch a person chooses says something. I'm sure many people choose a watch with little thought, but for me there is that whole metaphor thing.

Interestingly enough, they also sell rolex's, and the salesladies there all recommended the breitling. The yachtmaster was my other choice, but based on my desires and research i chose the breitling headwind.

Based on my little crashcourse in watches, i can see myself buying a patek philippe down the road as a dress watch. But that is far down my list of priorities.

Again thanks for all the help. You guys are the best.:D

Huckster, nice watch. They are durable, accurate, and very well made. If you get a little more into your watch, you will find that the movement within, is also used in some extremely expensive watches. Take care. Next we talk about ink pens.;)

Really. Im glad to hear that(about same movement used in extremely expensive watches). Ive always gone to the source, acted like money was of no concern, and tried to ferret out what THEY would buy based upon quality and not price.

I was a little surprised to hear two different jewelers say that breitling has a more accurate movement than rolex. In two out of three of my informal jeweler samplings, they all picked breitling over rolex.

Interesting tidbit; two jewelers told me that breitling tests all their watches, whereas rolex only tests 1/3.(for accuracy).

Anyway, i suppose my choice was based upon subtlety over name. I really wanted the great quality that was maybe a little more unknown or unrecognized. Kinda like picking stocks. If your picking what everyone recommends, youve already picked a low upside high downside performer.

thanks again for everyones help. (and yes, i too would love to have a rolex daytona but only in the white configurations--no black faces or insets).

regarding inkpens---just curious what a waterman classic is worth. my company gave me one at the five yr anniversary mark. i was guessing 60$ bulk purchase. it is black with gold trim on clip, middle band, and tip.

i wonder when waterman will start making keyboards.:D

I have several but wear the Jeager LeCoultre when traveling and wear the Rolex when I'm in town.

Rolex Sea-Dweller
sea_big.jpg

Jeager LeCoultre reverso
3.jpg

Or you might want to consider one of the new WRISTWATCH MOBILE PHONES.... see articles here:

<A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109830,00.asp">Samsung Shows Wristwatch Phone</A>
<A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110631,00.asp">Wristwatch Phone Proves Popular</A>

<B>Yawwn</B>: drool... i went looking for an Omega watch like 007, but soon gave up my aspirations after seeing the price (and finding out the laser didn't come as standard)... i should look for a clone version. :p

Jeager -- if i ever start collecting watches that would be next on my list. Very cool concept and interesting story line behind them. Not that im into polo playing, but the reverso feature is very cool.

thanks again for the help guys.

quick response to the 'look successful' post earlier; I can understand where youre coming from with this, and if I were an attorney maybe i'd feel the same. However, in the industry I'm in my clients are looking more for a partnership, not a gun for hire. So they would like to think we are both 'doing well'. If I run around sporting things that they cant afford it creates an undertone of jealousy. As it is, i drive nice cars and have a nice home which many of my clients are aware of. A rolex would've been a little over the top. Yeah, i could have done that, but it would have been more of an impediment to the client relationships. When i know theyre eating hamburger i dont want to brag about my steak.;)

hejo said:
I have several but wear the Jeager LeCoultre when traveling and wear the Rolex when I'm in town.

Rolex Sea-Dweller
sea_big.jpg

that's my watch!the only thing i don't like is that it doesn't keep time as well as my Tag.seems to loose 30 sec. every day?

I
2. Rado Ceramica multi-function. If you've never checked out Rado, I encourage you to do so. Like an NSX, this watch gets lots of comments, like "wow.. what kind of watch is that". Rado's claim to fame is the materials that most of their watches are make of.. ceramics, sapphire, and titanium.

I see they have dealers in Vegas --- I'm going to be there next week and will check out these watches. What kind of price can I expect? What should I look for? do you still stand by this brand of watch?

If you want to have a rather common watch, get a Rolex.

If you want a timepiece that is elegant, and rare do what I did. Get a Bulgari Assioma in Rose Gold with a black alligator strap.

I have #135 of 199 in the world.

It will only set you back around $12-15k. A good deal considering the Gold Rolex daytona is about $17 k and not that rare.

I have a Rado, Jubilee and a 2 toned Bulgari 41mm, Tissot and my daily knock around Movado.

Make sure you like it, and try to avoid what everyone else has.

Have you looked at a Ulysse Nardin?

How about a Flavor Flav Special?
Flavor-Flav-cc04.jpg

My favorite watch on the planet. Rolex Daytona SS.....MSRP: $9,200, street value, much higher as it's nearly impossible to find....

+1, Dream watch for over 10 yrs. Finally become reality a few years back. It's kind of like NSX, You either get it or you don't. IMHO.:wink:

There are several watchs on my wishlist.

1. Breitling Cosmonaut (First watch worn in space 1962 Astronaut Scott Carpenter Aurora 7)

2. Omega Speedmaster (The Omega Speedmaster was the first watch worn on the moon, as Buzz Aldrin wore his Speedmaster 145.012 fitted with the Omega 321 caliber on 20 July 1969. (Neil Armstrong left his Speedmaster inside the landing module "Eagle" during his famous first walk). Note this was not an automatic movement.

3. Rolex Submariner

Attachments

• Speedmaster.JPG
    Speedmaster.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 52
  • submariner.JPG
    submariner.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 31
  • bcosm.JPG
    bcosm.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 29
How can you tell if the watches on ebay are fakes? (besides obvious super cheap pricing)

What are some things to look for? Or do you have recommendations of reputable dealers on ebay that offer the best prices? Other online sites?

I'm doing some price shopping so I'm prepared when I head to Vegas soon. The dealers in Vegas seem very flexible with their pricing, especially if I can show them proof that online is cheaper.

I would not buy any expensive watches from eBay as the fakes are getting more and more difficult to tell from the originals even by jewelers.

My watch collection numbers over 50 and goes from casio to panerai. And from invicta to mont blanc and everything in between. My fine watches are only purchased through authorized dealers.

I would be more concerned of its internal parts missing and or swapped. Unless I know the person, I would never buy a used watch.

I'm just curious why we had to bring up a 5 year old thread with Len3.8 responding in it.:frown:

Couldn't we have just started another thread.

I dislike obvious bling so gold Rolexes would never work for me. I favor sport-themed watches with something more than good looks.

My favorite watch is my Breitling Aerospace. One of the very first titanium cases/bands. The Aerospace is electronic, not automatic, which for me is a plus. Anti-reflective crystal and versatile timing system. I understand the fascination with automatic movements but I like watches that don't need much service.

I also like TAG because of their heavy sport emphasis. Some are on the cheap side but others are very nicely made. I would like to have the TAG Monaco retro chronograph.

I agree with the earlier comments about Rado. I don't own one but I have always admired the scratch resistant designs. Tungsten, sapphire, etc.

Normally celebrity use of a watch is a negative but I admit to a soft spot for Omega because of James Bond. I don't have one - but would love to.

I also suggest you shop at Borsheims -the jeweler located in Omaha Nebraska that is part of Berkshire Hathaway. Premium watches have obscene profit margins and Borsheims has excellent prices. They are licensed sellers of all of their watches. To buy at Borsheims you will need to call them with the brand and model. They cannot list their premium watches on their website because these watchmakers have anti-competitive policies prohibiting online listing of discounted watches.

Vegas got the best of me and I picked up a Rado tonight. The watch is so sexy in person I just had to have it:

PR_115_0624_3_071.jpg

Rado Coupole Jubilé

High-tech ceramics, sapphire crystal, platinum color, with 4 diamonds, Quartz movement, Second.

thanks for the tips on Rado :biggrin:

for the person who truly has everything... here's another "thing"

http://gizmodo.com/377071/300000-watch-doesnt-tell-time-but-shows-if-the-sun-is-up

The $300,000 Watch That Doesn’t Tell Time

A $300,000 watch? Luxury. A $300,000 watch that doesn’t tell time — and that sells out? Pure genius.

According to several news reports flagged by the folks at Luxist, Swiss watchmaker Romain Jerome just launched the “Day&Night” watch.

The watch won’t tell you what time it is. That’s so yesterday. But it does tell you whether it’s day or night — helpful, I guess, for billionaire types who can’t afford windows.

As the company’s Web site boasts: “With no display for the hours, minutes or seconds, the Day&Night offers a new way of measuring time, splitting the universe of time into two fundamentally opposing sections: day versus night.”

What’s most impressive about the Day&Night is its complexity, given its absolute uselessness. The watch features two tourbillons — devices that overcome the ill effects of earth’s gravity on a watch’s accuracy — connected by a differential mechanism. Instead of hands, the watch has a “contemplative tourbillon operation whereby the ‘Day’ tourbillon operates for 12 hours to symbolize working life, while the ‘Night’ tourbillon takes over afterward to represent an individual’s private time.”

Like other limited-edition Romain Jerome watches, the watch is made in part with steel salvaged from the sunken Titanic, along with material from the shipyard where it was built. That sounds creepy to me, but maybe today’s buyers prefer morbid metals.

The company’s chief executive, Yvan Arpa, cited statistical studies to explain how the watch better reflects the time-philosophy of today’s wealthy.

“When you ask people what is the ultimate luxury, 80 percent answer ‘time’. Then when you look at other studies, 67 percent don’t look at their watch to tell what time it is,” he told Reuters.

He added that anyone can buy a watch that tells time — only a truly discerning customer can buy one that doesn’t.

And here’s the best part: The watch sold out within 48 hours of its launch.

daynightwatchwtf.jpg

Back