Would you sell your Turbo NSX to get a Nissan R35 GTR??

Well, after driving a 2013 GTR a month or so ago I've been really lusting for one. I passed on a perfect 15K mile 09 for $58K.......and now kinda regret it because it was a really good deal, given the current market. I just wasn't financially prepared for it. So I started thinking the unthinkable: selling my 93 NSX that I've treasured and modded for the last 17 years. I actually went so far as to write an ad up, and it felt really weird to be doing it. Then in a lucid moment I went out to the shop and took the cover off the NSX, which is put away for the winter. At that point, I knew I couldn't do it. It's just too beautiful and special.

LOL.... this sounds like a movie where you go into the stable with a gun to put your injured horse down, he looks up at you and you can't do it.... LOL

No.
I use my car as a track tool and love the potential of it and the analog feel that no other car can give you. I have been able to make a few GTR owners wave me by at the track, that has made me think that my car can still compete out there while looking 10 times better.
No GTR for me. Now, Aventador....

-MSR

I'm with you! Not sure i could part with my widebody nsx for any year GT-R. I like the GT-R a lot and would get one as a daily driver and keep my nsx. I'm wanting a new DD and thought about a GT-R(i think because it EASY to make fast.) I'm wanting a 2009-2012 Mercedes E63 AMG estate over a new GT-R. I have come to realize in just one week i'd GLADY get rid of my car for a Murcielago Roadster or Lp640 Super Veloce!!!! Now if had a white/ivory 2005 nsx, thats the REAL KEEPER.

Last edited:
If you desire performance and speed, then it's wise to move to the GTR. Or if you are bored or done with your car, then make the switch.
If you want driving purity, exotic looks and uniqueness stick to the NSX. I think it boils down to that in the end.

Like many people, I've been intrigued by the GTR. I called a couple dealerships and to test drive them you need a buyer's agreement and deposit in place beforehand. I realize they want to keep miles and joyriders off the cars but I don't know people test drive them otherwise. I don't feel like going through the hassle and hoops for the test drive, and lead on the salesperson when I only have a mild interest. I'm not sure how the rest of you are testing them out.

I know I will catch some heat for saying this but.... not all NSX's are the same, and in threads like this everyone says "would you trade an NSX for".... well some NSX's are $25K cars, and some are $80K cars. They are not the same car.

I am just saying if we are going to compare cars, lets compare exact cars.

Exactly my thought as well..... While it is a subjective choice whether one would trade an NSX for an GT-R, the financial factor must be factored in as the GT-R has a much higher value than most of the NSX's (the low mileage pristine condition 02-05 NSX's maybe close in value....).

- - - Updated - - -

But personally, and it is just me, a 1992 NSX would probably not keep from from moving into a GTR. I would want to do a 6 speed, refresh the interior, do the 02+ front and rear conversions, and I still wouldn't have a targa, one of the MAIN reasons I prefer my NSX. That would start adding up to too much money and I would just move into a GTR instead. There is a breaking point for me. It just didn't come with my particular NSX.

It is common for some people to keep adding stuffs to their cars so that they would 'continue' to love them, but at the end, most end up selling them with tons of mods and losses. If I had to dump $40 - $50k on a 10 to 15 years old car, I might as well just get an R8.

Quoted for truth.

It is common for some people to keep adding stuffs to their cars so that they would 'continue' to love them, but at the end, most end up selling them with tons of mods and losses.

Exactly my thought as well..... While it is a subjective choice whether one would trade an NSX for an GT-R, the financial factor must be factored in as the GT-R has a much higher value than most of the NSX's (the low mileage pristine condition 02-05 NSX's maybe close in value....).

- - - Updated - - -

It is common for some people to keep adding stuffs to their cars so that they would 'continue' to love them, but at the end, most end up selling them with tons of mods and losses. If I had to dump $40 - $50k on a 10 to 15 years old car, I might as well just get an R8.

Yeah I know, I ask myself all the time... I've spent well more than GTR money on my NSX... I am into the new R8 and very clean F430 area. Car is great and I love it.... But I can't be into it for more than an nsx 2.0. I've made myself stop. If the GTR would have appealed to me more after my test drives I would have swapped but driving the nsx back after the test drive with the targa off and a stick in my hand, superharger whining behind my head, and yet another series of thumbs ups from all sorts of random people I was like "what am I doing, I can't sell this!" So I came home and ordered some wheels. LOLOLOL

Let's forget about the "NSX v GT-R" portion of this discussion for a second. Let's talk generalities.

When you watch Barrett-Jackson or Mecum (do you watch them?) what turns you on? Are you appreciating the older cars and think "Wow, I've gotta have THAT!" Or are you seeing the late model cars come through and think "I'd like to have that"?

What I'm driving at is that you have a 20+ year-old classic. I, for one, enjoy having a '91 that looks as though it was designed just yesterday (OK, so maybe that's a stretch), and was the benchmark for performance for its time.

If that aspect doesn't turn you on, then, yes, sell the NSX and get a GT-R. If the '92 is just another outdated performance car to you and you lust after absolute performance, a GT-R is hard to beat. But if you tell your friends "this is a '92" and are damn proud of it for what it is/was, and appreciate how much Honda "nailed" the driving experience with the components and technology on hand for its time, then, keep the NSX.

Dig deep and ask what REALLY turns you on.

I believe the only way for me to validate me selling the Nsx would be to drive a GTR. I know the Nsx very well and I still get that tingling feeling every time I see and drive her. But selling it to purchase a car I've never driven doesn't go down well....any local DMV Gtr owners willing to solve this dilemma for me?

I was sitting at a red light on the Vegas strip today and a charcoal GT-R turned across the intersection in front of me so I took a good long look at it. I have to say that while it's performance for the money may be unbeatable it isn't much of a looker. It just sort of disappeared against the background of the other traffic.

Here is my opinion.

I've owned 4 NSX's over the years (the last one was a 4k mile 2000 back in 2001) and bought a GT-R new three years ago. I still have the GT-R. It's the best car I have owned. The NSX is the second best car I have owned.

The GT-R is roomier, has a big trunk, a back seat, better for daily driving, grips like crazy and is king of the hill on the streets. I feel the car has soul. I'm very emotionally involved with my car.

There are more NSX's on the road in the USA than R35 GT-R's. 7575 Sold since July 2008

I don't like it when people throw around stats without doing research. No respect points for you!

There are more NSX's on the road in the USA than R35 GT-R's. 7575 Sold since July 2008

7575 GTR's since 2008 in the U.S. makes it pretty much as many GTR's sold in 5 years as there were NSX's sold in 19 years (US stats)

Not likely, unless I fall and hit my head. Never liked Datsuns, I mean Nissans much. The GTR is a beast for sure. It's too big, too heavy, and not real special to look at either. Not to mention no stick. Vipers and some Mustangs and Vettes are fast too. Don't want any of those either.

I just dont like cars that record if you redline the engine and if you blow the motor for any reason they use the redline recorded data to say its not under warranty.

kinda big brother watching and telling you when your warranty is good or not.

I know the car is faster but you have the GTR people which is the 1% and their poop doesnt stink

then you have people that want a car that makes them look like the 1% but are really upper middle class LOL and their poop does stink LOL

I know the car is faster but you have the GTR people which is the 1% and their poop doesnt stink

then you have people that want a car that makes them look like the 1% but are really upper middle class LOL and their poop does stink LOL

Ouch!

If I could only have one car than maybe. As long as I can afford to keep more than one car I'd keep my NSX even in it's not boosted. When I sell my NSX it's either to get out of the sports car scene all together or to buy a different NSX.

I just dont like cars that record if you redline the engine and if you blow the motor for any reason they use the redline recorded data to say its not under warranty.

kinda big brother watching and telling you when your warranty is good or not.

that's what put me off them too... they sell them relatively cheap new, but the servicing cost is horrendous.... they plug the computer in at the dealers, tell you that the gearbox oil overheated 4k miles ago, you need new special oil, thats $900 please or warranty is void

add on to that, the NSX systems are fairly basic in the overall scheme of things, so you do have a fighting chance of fault-finding/fixing things yourself... try that with a GTR and it's datalogging ecus!

Last edited:
This thread title should really read: would you sell you turbo'ed NSX for R8 V10 or F430 or smth along those lines.

Nope! Turbo'd or not I wouldn't sell my NSX for a GTR. I almost came close to buying a Black GTR before I bought the NSX.Hehe for the price of the GTR I rather buy me two NSX. LOL!

I have driven a 2012 GTR and well most of us know how hard it pulls and how well it holds to the road. That being said I would have a hard time trading my NA NSX in for a GTR, much less a turbo/supercharged NSX for a R35 GTR.

Haha....someone's math is a bit fuzzy if they think an 05' NSX sale will get them even close to the purchase price of a new R8 or clean F430

Back