Would you pay $450,000 for this?

The presentation of the GT40 at the Auto Show yesterday included its estimated pricing to be $450,000. Seems a bit steep for a Ford, don't you think?

3389253-M.jpg

EDIT: A friend of mine went last night and spoke with the rep who said the price should be approximately $150,000. They apparently had other puzzled inquiries after the presentation last Saturday when the $450,000 price tag was mentioned in error.

Last edited:
I thought it was supposed to be in the $150K area. And NO, I would never pay that much for the GT40.

I thought is was supposed to be in that range as well. Road and Track had that as the price last year but for some reason during the introduction yesterday they mentioned the higher price tag. They also said that the first one was auctioned off for approximately $575,000.

Strange... I think they were referring to a particular exemplar (like the first one or similar). Here it will be sold for a price to be decided between 129'000 and 159'000 EUR. At least this is what Ford Europe said last month...

I don't think anyone, other than those folks who bought the first one at auction, will pay $450k.....the Ford price as informally announced was $145,000. It has been widely speculated for a long time that the price would come in around $150k, so I wonder why the $450k number popped up. I would say 3x the price of a car is a bit too much of a dealer mark-up, just to be the first to own one, wouldn't you? Plus, they aren't making these in super rare limited numbers, so the people who way overpay are digging themselves a massive hole, because the value will probably drop like a rock over time (it's a Ford, for chrissakes!):D

Ok, but the price of the NSX went down quite a bit in the used market... didn't it?

LeftLane was speaking about the FordGT not holding its value, afterall it's "only" a Ford.:cool:

NsXMas said:
I wouldn't pay over $100k for that thing, but to those who have collected just about every other exotic sports car out there, this will be a drop in the bucket for the addition to their garages.

That is the problem, worth it or not people will pay how ever much they need to buy something just to say they own it. Hence the ridiculous price on many things in today's market.

Please don't talk this car down, it is a super car! Is it worth what a hand built Saleen S7 is worth? I don't think so but it is a engineering milestone for Ford. But I think the S7 would clean it's clock :)

I recently saw a prototype at Borla. It was sent to them by Ford for exhaust R&D, to be marketed in their parts performance division. Now that car is a piece of work. Don't be fooled into thinking this is just a basic car. That thing was massive(viper like) and built mostly out of aluminum, with a full underbody bellypan. Oh, I can't help but mention that Ford is lying. RWHP stock was 560. Yes, you read that correct, 560 to the rear wheels. This was before any exhaust and intake mods were done. Make no mistake, this thing is a monster and will probably give everything a run for its money. Are you listening Enzo?

BTW, I sat in it(very early prototype) and it is bare bones. Not easy to get in, sit confortably or even see out of. This one had a full roll cage and you could tell it was put thru the ringer. Not for the faint of heart! :eek:

John you are right this is FoMoCo utimate out of the box car. It's a shame none are for sale.

My Dad has an order for one in Houston

The sticker is around $150k, but there will be a premium charged over that. It will be no where near $450k.

Matt

O-Ace said:
I thought it was supposed to be in the $150K area. And NO, I would never pay that much for the GT40.

I work for Ford and the MSRP is approximately $150,000. However, dealers are marking up the price because of demand and it's rarity. I've mentioned this before, but someone offered $200,000 over MSRP for the one we are getting and we still turned him down.

Back