would you change a masterpiece

I didnt mean to 'disrespect the old cars'; Its that I read once that cars get old if not sig changed from release...simply because they elipsed by the compition. As I havent read any reviews of Lotuses lately; I was wondering how it was doing; again I have nothing against Lotuses; I like em'. I just am wondering how they fair nowadays because I honesly do not know...

Speaking of old sports car models that are still being produced, I would be willing to bet that this granddaddy of a car beats them all:

oct02-aero_st.jpg

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get Boosted!
www.boostedgroup.com

Originally posted by BoostedMR2:
Speaking of old sports car models that are still being produced, I would be willing to bet that this granddaddy of a car beats them all:

That car has the ulgiest headlights EVER produced no a car!

NETVIPER,you can actually mod the lotus to be extremely fast and beat all but the fastest of modified vipers.

the lotus will always have an approximate 500pd weight advantage over the viper.

Allan,

The Viper Venom 800 ran 0-60 in 2.43 seconds and the quarter in 9.99. I would like to see a lotus do that
smile.gif

Acutally, I would have liked to have seen a Lotus in the Car and Driver Supercar Challenge. I wonder how it would do.

Cool esprit site. I like this quote the best about the RACE ECU "This is probably the simplest upgrade to increase power another circa100 HP. However, with the new ECU installed you could easily blow up your transmission or halfshafts if you car is not driven properly"

Sounds great!
smile.gif

What year is your esprit allan?

Here is a little comparison in Road and Track 1999.

Esprit V8 TT vs .Zanardi NSX.

Skipad:
Lotus .093g NSX 0.93G
Slalom:
Lotus 61.0 mph NSX 64.6 mph
segment times:
Lotus 12.26 + 11.40 sec NSX 11.62 + 10.84

The lotus placed second last, the NSX 2nd (out of 6).

The driving was done by mario andretti.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 19 September 2002).]

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 20 September 2002).]

netviper, the reason why the Lotus placed so low is because of the lack of a Limited Slip Differential. Mario even admitted it. But how did we get into comparing the Lotus with the NSX again? It has been well established that the NSX is the ultimate car.
biggrin.gif

And as for the halfshafts and tranny blowing apart, this is very true. Cannot handle extra power. This IMO was the downfall of the Lotus Esprit. But only if you drag the car otherwise it will handle the power rather well.

Just reread the article, which by the way is a great article. The 2000 Lotus is worlds apart from the one Mario tested(blame it on growing pains-2nd year of the v8tt). As a matter of fact the viper placed last according to Mario's rating. The Lotus was fifth, but what's the difference anyway?

Bill,

I am going to sit on the fence on this one. I think both configurations look great. Because you have a special edition car though, it would be a smart move to stow the square tail lights in your closet or something. That way you can put them back on if need be.

Bill, I thought I would also mention that I think you have great taste in cars. The Ferrari 355 has the best looking rear end of any car and the sound of the exaust is second to none in my opinion.

Thanks Edwardo. I will keep all the old parts if I do the change. Which I am definitely leaning towards. I see that most of the opinions are split--I just think the new setup looks alot better. I didn't buy the car as an investment but if I do choose the route of the new lights, it cannot be reversable. So I will be stuck with it. I just wanted to see other's opinions of how it looked, so thanks for all the input guys.

Bill, are you running the Race ECU? How does it make 100HP more? Sound like a lot for such a simple replacement?

Yes I have the race ECU. It allows for full boost in every gear instead of the last two gears which the regular ECU does. It also remaps the fuel and timing curve so there is literally absolutely no lag whatsoever. I think it has been the greatest upgrade I have done yet. Actually the engine is in a very detuned stated, unfortunately, because the tranny cannot handle the power.

[This message has been edited by bill92nsx (edited 20 September 2002).]

Back