would you change a masterpiece

so i wont get banned the nsx
biggrin.gif

but actually it is the lotus. You really feel one with the road in it. the handling and especially the steering is awesome and not to mention the power. It's nothing like the NSX, it is the closest thing to a racer, the interior sort of grows around you and engulfs you and you really do feel like one with the car. It's everything the NSX or ferrari should be in MY eyes. The NSX is very close but just lacks the power unfortunately. The 355 is nice as well, the best sounding engine and it is very fun, and the tr is a great car for touring. I like them all the same each has its good and bads but just prefer the explosive power from the lotus for some reason

yes they used toyota lights, i am not sure but i think the corolla sr-5. At the time Toyota was part owner of Lotus (original mr2 was a Lotus first) and thye used their taillights.

Bill.. is your NSX stock? If so, are you planning on giving it a little more juice? a la Gerry's Turbo
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 19 September 2002).]

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
This is not nsx related but i want to ask you guys a legit question. I have a rare Lotus Twin turbo(only 8 made). Would you guys modify the way it looks? If you had a rare NSX would youchange something that rreally cant be changed back? The newer Esprits have the round (Ferrari like) lights in the rear and IMO it makes the car look so much better than the damn Toyota lights it has now. Would you guys change it if you had the chance? I dont really have of a picture of the new setup. I am at odds with myself on this. Never bought the car for an investment and really am leaning towarrds doing it.

Bill, there is another set of Toyota lights that also fit prefectly into the Lotus slot.
i-1.JPG

These are call "Sprinter taillights", the JDM version of the identical Corolla AE86 taillights Lotus use on the Esprit.

[This message has been edited by nsx2000 (edited 19 September 2002).]

The "Sprinter lights" are very rare, but I happened to find one set on Ebay. [link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1859885543[/link]

There is no modification for you to do the change, all the light bulbs and the screw holes are at the same position as your existing tail lights. I know because I fitted these lights on my AE86, which use the same taillights as your Espirt.

Here's a question for Bill or Allen. I used to have an '88 Lotus Esperit Turbo. ("used to" being the operative phrase. I totalled it) Anyway, performance wise, could that have outrun a '99 NSX? I've got a lot of mods on my NSX at this point but I was just curious especially top speed.

TIA

Just wondering Bill, how is the TR? Is it really not reliable (honestly)? How much is maintaince on one of them? How does she drive? I always wanted a TR but maintance cost scared me =(. tell me about a TR, the more the merrier =)

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (Should be the new daily driver)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina" Still the daily driver)
1997 NSX "Nina"
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

Oh an a genneral Lotus question....Why do they still make Espirts? arent they a 20 year old design that has been updated slightly over and over? Not that I dont like Espirts; If I could fit in one (im 6'4) I would had gotten one; its just that a sport car design gets old after 10 years...so how does this effect the Lotus?

MCATTACK, i dont think a 88 esprit could beat a 99 nsx, i think it could possibly beat a early model 3.0 nsx though. a few simple mods on the esprit and it should have no problems with the 99 nsx.

auraraptor, if i car design gets old after 10 years then the nsx needs to retire, as its now approximately 12 years old.

the lotus is a great design, and it shows what a great concept the original design was and how with constant improvements it could stand the test of time. in terms of public response, of all the cars ive owned, the lotus ranks 2nd to my lambos. it gets far more attention than any porsche, ferrari, or nsx ive owned. like i said before, i was never really big into the lotus, always liked them, but never really wanted one, i kind of stumbled into this one, and now im hooked.

as far testarossa reliability, it needs a tow truck to follow it wherever it goes! just kidding, bill has mentioned before that it has been a trouble free car for him and that he loves it.

Originally posted by NetViper:
Bill.. is your NSX stock? If so, are you planning on giving it a little more juice? a la Gerry's Turbo
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 19 September 2002).]

The NSx is basically stock at this point except for test pipes, exhaust(have no idea what kind), and intake. After I am done with the Lotus I am definitely looking into boosting the power up a bit, though I dont know which way to go yet--supercharger or turbo, or even normally aspirated if I can get enough power out of it, but we will see. That will be next winter's project.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by McAttack:
Here's a question for Bill or Allen. I used to have an '88 Lotus Esperit Turbo. ("used to" being the operative phrase. I totalled it) Anyway, performance wise, could that have outrun a '99 NSX? I've got a lot of mods on my NSX at this point but I was just curious especially top speed.

TIA

I don't know if there is much taht you could have done to an 88. I believe that still had the Bosch CIS injection. Very limited to what you can do. If it had the GM setup you could get up to 300hp out the 2.2 Liter with absolutely no reliability problems and without touching the engine(bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, updated chip, and better exhaust) Very sad to hear a fellow Lotus was totalled.
frown.gif
It is a fun car and almost reminds me of a superfast gocart. They do have exceptional handling and back in 88 it was one of the fastest cars out there.

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
Just wondering Bill, how is the TR? Is it really not reliable (honestly)? How much is maintaince on one of them? How does she drive? I always wanted a TR but maintance cost scared me =(. tell me about a TR, the more the merrier =)

The TR IMO is a great car with very little problems. I have not had a single problem (knock on wood) in the last few years, except for a damn starter problem. Most of the problems stem from the cars not being used enough. More damage happens when they are left sitting than when driving. I drive the hell out of them and have no problems, especially electrical. As for service why do you HAVE to take it to the dealer to get your eyes gouged? Find a good and competent independent mechanic and he'll do the major service for 1/2 price. My guy does it for 2,500. That is for every 5 years. Doesn't look that expensive now does it? Sure parts are expensive when they break, but that is why its called preventive maintenance, to try to avoid something from breaking. Thr TR is a very veryeasy car to work on if you have the least bit of mechanical knowledge. I love the TR but don't be fooled into thinking its a drag racer because its not. Its sort of a gran tourer, very comfortable, quick, and handling is good not great. But the car has tremendous road presence and an engine note that makes you smile ear to ear when you gun it.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
Oh an a genneral Lotus question....Why do they still make Espirts? arent they a 20 year old design that has been updated slightly over and over? its just that a sport car design gets old after 10 years...so how does this effect the Lotus?

I am with Allen on this one. I can imagine what you have to say about the grandaddy of them all the 911. It has been around since before the Lotus. The Lotus's shape as well as the Porsche's shape was ahead of its time back then and that is why it ages so well. Just look at the NSX, do you think it's dated? Hell no, the car looks better than almost anything out there. Also another thing that Lotus, NSX,Lambos, Ferraris, has going for them is their rarity. There is just not enough of these cars around to get tired of them, so they will always look classy and exotic IMO

Well guys I just got her back with the new 6speed and I am still in awe.eek! It is a completely different car now, the shifts are much much smoother, the ratios are perfect (rpms never drop out of the power band), but the only thing I have to get used to is 5 and 6th gears, as they have no synchros. Will take some time getting used to it, but I believe I definitely shaved off a few tenths to 60 and would even go to say a full sec to 100 or even the 1/4mile. Cant wait to take it to the track this spring and will find out for sure, but won't be surprised fi I am pulling very low 11's on the 1/4--especially when I am done with the reflowed turbos, and intercoolers. Anyways, I think I am definitely going for the round lights as I think they look amazing.

On a serious not, if I were to add neon lights all around and stickers everywhere, how much faster do you think I will be aable to go?
biggrin.gif

ill start up a thread on the viper forum callin him out. you know whats going to happen now, when you beat him hes going to say your heavily modified.

Back