Will the NSX price ever go up

Luckily I was too young to buy one in 1991, and now that im 35 after waiting forever to buy an NSX the price was affordable (30K) But lets think in these terms, older car = cheaper price. The Fad = mods. Mods = abuse? (maybe) I think I read that there were only 40,000 ever made. So after another 10 years and mods, and wrecks, and thefts, and fires, when the NSX is an endangered species, WILL THE PRICE START TO GO UP? I would only think so....supply and demand, unless the demand goes away. I find that kinda hard to consider if you figure 1 out of every 1000 knows what a great car really is, and of course will still be an NSX. That being said, As owners...why not sell them for more (if we had to sell) why not? they belong to us. SO will the price eventually increase? what are your thoughts?

Not certain on the exact numbers but I believe there were around 9k in the US and a total of under 20k worldwide. So when you factor in the numbers that have been totalled or butchered, you'd have to think the numbers are even less. I don't think you're going to see a bump soon unless you have a Zinardi....but if you're patient and keep on enjoying the car, who knows? I for one bought my car for the fun, not the appreciation. If I still have the car when they are appreciating, then great.....I'm on my second one, the first one I had 2 yrs and sold it for what I paid for it....I could probably do close to the same with this one - not many cars will do that!

Oh and Sarge....nice color man, it's sure to appreciate. :wink:

Luckily I was too young to buy one in 1991, and now that im 35 after waiting forever to buy an NSX the price was affordable (30K) But lets think in these terms, older car = cheaper price. The Fad = mods. Mods = abuse? (maybe) I think I read that there were only 40,000 ever made. So after another 10 years and mods, and wrecks, and thefts, and fires, when the NSX is an endangered species, WILL THE PRICE START TO GO UP? I would only think so....supply and demand, unless the demand goes away. I find that kinda hard to consider if you figure 1 out of every 1000 knows what a great car really is, and of course will still be an NSX. That being said, As owners...why not sell them for more (if we had to sell) why not? they belong to us. SO will the price eventually increase? what are your thoughts?

I'm not really concerned about whether or not the price goes up. I didn't and wouldn't recommend anyone buying a car as an investment on the hopes that it will go up. I bough mine for many of the same reasons as others have.
I plan on keeping it as long as possible. If I do in fact have to sell it at some time, then I'll price it fairly so the next person down the line gets a chance to own it.

I'm not really concerned about whether or not the price goes up. I didn't and wouldn't recommend anyone buying a car as an investment on the hopes that it will go up. I bough mine for many of the same reasons as others have.
I plan on keeping it as long as possible. If I do in fact have to sell it at some time, then I'll price it fairly so the next person down the line gets a chance to own it.

I agree, unless its a rare model or a classic. Though my wife suggest if we keep the NSX for 10 years then it will be a collector car who knows. Chances are 91's will be first in line due to Seniority followed by 92 Type-R then 92...

Cars are such a funny market that it's hard to guage what's going to be hot down the road.

I believe that if Honda had made the NSX for maybe 3 years then discontinued it, it would have a better chance of being a collectors item. Having the same model for a span of two decades doesn't help IMHO.

I think that that's why BMW only made the Z8 for a few years. And why GM is only making a few ZR1's. Porsche made the Carrerra GT for like 2 years, The Enzo was out for only a couple of years... etc.

Back in 1991 the NSX was as good or better than most of the products that Porsche, Audi, BMW, and Ferrari had out. I believe that if it was simply known as the "little car that could", then dissappeared after a couple of years (1993), it would definately be a classic.

Cars are such a funny market that it's hard to guage what's going to be hot down the road.

I believe that if Honda had made the NSX for maybe 3 years then discontinued it, it would have a better chance of being a collectors item. Having the same model for a span of two decades doesn't help IMHO.

I think that that's why BMW only made the Z8 for a few years. And why GM is only making a few ZR1's. Porsche made the Carrerra GT for like 2 years, The Enzo was out for only a couple of years... etc.

Back in 1991 the NSX was as good or better than most of the products that Porsche, Audi, BMW, and Ferrari had out. I believe that if it was simply known as the "little car that could", then dissappeared after a couple of years (1993), it would definately be a classic.

The production numbers are still relatively low considering how many good ones are left. Over 1270 CTG and 1315 F40s (87-92)were produced all can be considered collectors.

The production numbers are still relatively low considering how many good ones are left. Over 1270 CTG and 1315 F40s (87-92)were produced all can be considered collectors.

But the F40 was a much more expensive car, was out less time, and there were much less made than the NSX.

The F40 was like the Enzo for Ferrari back in the day. That's like the Porsche 959.

I don't think that the 91's will depreciate much more, but I do believe that the younger cars will continue to depreciate until there's a three-way gap in prices 91-96, 97-01, and 02-05. In maybe 4-5 years, I can see the younger cars hanging around the $40k-$50k range, and the mid aged cars around the $30k-$40k.
But let me stop before I get flamed on here.

Nice NSX's are holding price and value very well, heck a new Civic is $20k and the STI is about $35k now, does not compare to alum bodied NSX is the longer run. Maybe an older Vet for $35, no thanks.
Poorly modified ones will not due near as well.
Now that we have a mint 91 with 300,000 miles and runs like new, that helps the price stay up.
So what exotic can you buy for $35k? Remember the older M3's people wanted, they are no big deal now while a nice NSX still is. All my opinion.

You can never tell where prices will go. Chances are the answer is no. However give it about 20 more years and we shall see. :cool:

Nice NSX's are holding price and value very well, heck a new Civic is $20k and the STI is about $35k now, does not compare to alum bodied NSX is the longer run. Maybe an older Vet for $35, no thanks.
Poorly modified ones will not due near as well.
Now that we have a mint 91 with 300,000 miles and runs like new, that helps the price stay up.
So what exotic can you buy for $35k? Remember the older M3's people wanted, they are no big deal now while a nice NSX still is. All my opinion.

All said and done the whole world knows NSX is the only daily drive exotic car nothing compares less older 911's. That alone will help retain its value if no appreciate in next 5-10 years. When people get bored with M3's and front engine cars they know where they are headed. :biggrin:

Most likely only limited production # cars will appreciate first - '99 Zanardis, '05's low mileage cars. Plus, alot will depend on IF a 2nd-gen X is coming as I suspect many will upgrade, thus affecting the NA2's prices.

Like many have said, a quality early NSX price seems to bottom out at $25-$30K. I intend to drive mine over 300K miles or until it dies. It's the availability of parts and certified NSX mechanics that will run extremely low that scares me the most.

Hopefully, when the NSX turns 25 in eight more years we'll start to see some popping up at the Barrett-Jackson auctions.

as long as we the owners are willing to sell them at low prices they will continue to go down. We the owners control the prices, if we chose to sell low people will always look for the low ones. Look at the posts on here that say "that price is to high for a ####". People are always looking for the best price and we encourage that. There are few avalible compared to some cars so why not control the market. If buyers want one that bad they will pay the price. I may be wrong but all markets are controlled in some way and we can control this market but the problem is when you want to sell you don't want to hang onto it for a long time.

Hopefully, when the NSX turns 25 in eight more years we'll start to see some popping up at the Barrett-Jackson auctions.
You're 11 years late on that prediction: :wink:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46188

I doubt the price of NSXs will go up anytime soon. But yeah, given enough time everything becomes collectible. Currently the baby boomer generation and older control the great majority of the nation's wealth. The NSX is probably not the most nostalgics car to that group; I doubt you'll see big dollars chasing it until the import crowd grows wealthy with time.

Greetings

I bought mine to drive, not as a collectible. I think the G2's will be more collectible, since they only made 877of them for sale worldwide -- 254 in 02, 176 in 03, 198 in 04, and 249 in 05.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Martin

We the owners control the prices
That is half correct... there is a bid and ask to every market transaction. Owners that want to sell must hit a bid... if nobody is bidding up around $100K for your car, then you better lower your asking price if you want to sell it. The true price of our cars is just the entire market's buyer and seller consensus on what we all believe they are worth at any given moment in time.

nsx-tech said:
I may be wrong but all markets are controlled in some way and we can control this market...
hehe, sorry to pick on you... but markets are the opposite of controlled, they are free (at least that is the ideal). Manipulations like you're talking about do occur, but they can't last in an unregulated market over the intermediate term... and they are frowned upon by capitalism and our legal system. :biggrin:

That is half correct... there is a bid and ask to every market transaction. Owners that want to sell must hit a bid... if nobody is bidding up around $100K for your car, then you better lower your asking price if you want to sell it.

sooooomebody has investment banking experience lol:biggrin:

Greetings

I bought mine to drive, not as a collectible. I think the G2's will be more collectible, since they only made 877of them for sale worldwide -- 254 in 02, 176 in 03, 198 in 04, and 249 in 05.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Martin

then you can further break it down by cars with high mileage, which will have a tough time to be collectible, then cars with paintwork, then cars with accidents, then cars with too many mods, and so on...the pool is a lot smaller than we all think.....

I know the pool of collectible quality cars on the 2005 Rio Yellow/Onyx is less than the total 18 made for that year ;)

one of the biggest problems with the prices are people don't keep cars long anymore. They like to change when something new comes along. Change comes at a price in the car market. I know the longest I have ever kept a car is 3 years but the average for me would be under 2 years per car and I've been driving for 31 years.(longest being my 91 NSX) What makes a car a collectable?

sooooomebody has investment banking experience lol:biggrin:
Who me? Nahhhhhh... I think you're talking about Ski_Banker and BioBanker :biggrin: . I'm just a lowly engineer who also happens to run a small equity derivative fund.

I know the pool of collectible quality cars on the 2005 Rio Yellow/Onyx is less than the total 18 made for that year
I think if they made a bunch of Yellow/Onyx '05s but there were only a couple clean ones left, then you'd be more collectible. But you've got the next best thing going for you. BTW, I love your car's color combo.

one of the biggest problems with the prices are people don't keep cars long anymore. They like to change when something new comes along. Change comes at a price in the car market.
I believe that just makes the market more liquid so you have a truer reflection of the car's current value.

What makes a car a collectable?
Sentiment. :smile:

Back