Will an NSX replace a Ferrari for driving enjoyment?

I want to buy a Ferrari to satisfy my desire to own "the car". I've liked the NSX since it first came out, and clearly it can be considered as a daily driver with reasonable upkeep costs compared to the Ferrari which can eat you out of your kid's college fund.

But I also want a car that "stirs the soul" so to speak, and there the Ferrari seems to have the edge. I've ridden in a few NSXs and found them fine cars, but not overly "engaging". I fully admit that my comments are based on sitting in the right hand seat and not being behind the wheel.

SO, my question is: Will the NSX be as exciting to drive as a Ferrari? (To be fair, I'd compare the NSX to cars of the era - the 328, 348 and F355. I'd be more inclined to a 550 or 360, but those are far more modern cars and I don't think they would be a fair comparison).

Nothing cures the 'gots to have its' like picking up a F-Car if that is what you want, get one. As a car guy I am sure you will not be disappointed, but you will come around to the NSX eventually sooner or later.

IMO the 328,348 and 355 are no comparision to the equation of performance, timeless looks, reliability and rareness of the NSX. I have had the pleasure to drive and sit in several older F-Cars and they are nice, but they show their age very quickly. The interior of the 328, 348 and 355 just look old. I thought about one when a few years back but at the time in my life I would be watching the ODO click and drop $$ per mile for service. The NSX is just a unique vehicle, if you are looking for a non-bias opinon then this forum is not really the best place to look:wink:.

Now the 550 and 360 are different stories. I would have a 360 in a heart beat! Turning a wrench on these is really no joke but better than the older models (keep in mind it all is realitive). The 360 has upheld its looks over the past few years and the F430 really does not date it as much and the 360 does the older models.

You are deep in a rich NSX community there in Raleigh, check the Southeast forum for events and get-togethers, I am sure that someone will take you for a spin and maybe even let you push the petals. Heck I know that Foreign Cars in Greensboro has, at last check, 3 NSXs that if you are serious they will let you take them for a spin. Watch the Silvertone though it is not for the faint at heart, it has a little extra kick in the pants performance.

Good luck! Sounds like a problem that all of us here would like to have.

When the NSX was first introduced , one of the car magazines reviewed the NSX and made the statement - "the world's best sports car, anywhere, anytime, any price". Of course that was probably disputed by car enthusiasts back then, and I am sure this will never be resolved. There are so many variables in evaluating a car, especially when you consider cars in the category that NSX compares to. So many different opinions, and so many measures of what is best.

I have been a Honda/Acura fan since the mid 80's. I have owned my NSX for just over 3 years. I can tell you that there is rarely a week (or maybe a day) that goes by that I don't take quick look under the cover in the garage. I think it all comes down to what stirs your soul.

And then there is the "heritage/legend" aspect. Certainly Honda has earned it's rightful position in the history of motor sports, but it may never compare with the position that Ferrari has garnered.

I guess I'd have to say if you are able and willing to pay the price of admission to the world of Ferrari, just do it. To a true car enthusiast, there is hardly anything that can compare to a red Italian sports car.

But for my money, I made my choice - NSX.

There are about 30 or so very enthusiastic NSX owners in the Raleigh area, as well as one of the country's best certified NSX mechanics. As MC suggested, get in touch and come visit with us sometime. We'll be glad to share our experiences, opinions and enthusiasm for this spectacular sports car.

This one goes even one step beyond the usual "compare vs X, Y, Z" threads b/c now we are talking entirely about drivers perceptions.

I can say to you "yes, the NSX is even MORE exciting than a Ferrari" Or I can say "no, the NSX is in no way remotely as exciting as a Ferrari" and I dont see how it would help you either way. This is just a COMPLETELY subjective thing and the opinions of others really have absolutely ZERO value.

For what its worth, PERSONALLY, no... I dont think the NSX is as "exciting" as a Ferrari *to me*. FEW if any cars could be. Ferrari is the quintessential exotic and backs it up with intoxicating sound and driving experience. That said I have spent a lot of money on the NSX in my lifetime (owned a 1998, bought a 2003 new, and just bought a 1999) Nothing in the NSX is lacking to me, its just that Ferrari is ridiculous. Its sort of like how Brad Pitt couldnt resist Angelina Jolie. Nothing wrong with Jennifer Aniston. Hell... Most men would give up their left arm to go there. But next to Angelina Jolie, she comes up a bit short.

On the practical side, unless I were *significantly* more wealthy than I am, I wouldnt even consider owning one. $1 per mile is above my pay grade. I've had friends make the comment "dude... you've spent like $200k on NSXs... you could have bought a F360!" I just roll out that figure... $1 per mile... $1 per mile... thats a scary number

Nothing in the NSX is lacking to me, its just that Ferrari is ridiculous. Its sort of like how Brad Pitt couldnt resist Angelina Jolie. Nothing wrong with Jennifer Aniston. Hell... Most men would give up their left arm to go there. But next to Angelina Jolie, she comes up a bit short.

Love your analogy.:wink:

This one goes even one step beyond the usual "compare vs X, Y, Z" threads b/c now we are talking entirely about drivers perceptions.

I can say to you "yes, the NSX is even MORE exciting than a Ferrari" Or I can say "no, the NSX is in no way remotely as exciting as a Ferrari" and I dont see how it would help you either way. This is just a COMPLETELY subjective thing and the opinions of others really have absolutely ZERO value.

For what its worth, PERSONALLY, no... I dont think the NSX is as "exciting" as a Ferrari *to me*. FEW if any cars could be. Ferrari is the quintessential exotic and backs it up with intoxicating sound and driving experience. That said I have spent a lot of money on the NSX in my lifetime (owned a 1998, bought a 2003 new, and just bought a 1999) Nothing in the NSX is lacking to me, its just that Ferrari is ridiculous. Its sort of like how Brad Pitt couldnt resist Angelina Jolie. Nothing wrong with Jennifer Aniston. Hell... Most men would give up their left arm to go there. But next to Angelina Jolie, she comes up a bit short.

On the practical side, unless I were *significantly* more wealthy than I am, I wouldnt even consider owning one. $1 per mile is above my pay grade. I've had friends make the comment "dude... you've spent like $200k on NSXs... you could have bought a F360!" I just roll out that figure... $1 per mile... $1 per mile... thats a scary number

Love that analogy.

My 360 has been WAY more than a dollar a mile just in depreciation alone. 50k depreciation in ~2 years, I think I have put maybe 5k miles on the car. I guess a hundred years from now is what will really matter to me, when I am 143 years old kicking back in my rocker and thinking man should I have spent that money.

Compaired to the NSX, I made money when I sold the NSX AND I sold it back to the same car dealer I bought it from!!!

Greetings

An NSX is more exciting than a Ferrari simply because you can use the NSX as a daily driver. No matter what kind of day I have at work, the drive home is enjoyable.
I love driving Ferrari's, but never want to own one. A few years ago when I was looking for a sports car I drove 8 different F-cars -- highly recommend driving a Testarossa through Malibu Canyon. I love the sound that they make. I have several friends who own them, but never drive them because they are so expensive to maintain.
Rent a Ferrari before you buy one. I did for a day - that is why I did not buy one. I don't know where you live, so Google is your friend.

Cheers,
Martin

Back