Why would anyone buy C6 Z06 when you can have this?

Never drove neither Z06 nor Viper. But this thought of "why" does not leave me for quite some time.

I mean look at this thing...

01.jpg

If it is your goal is the coolest car between the two you would have to go SRT-10 over Z06. However, if you want to daily drive it, the Vette is better for that. Mass production vs. low production, both have their benefits.

Looks Great, but I hear its awful to drive for more than 15 minutes. Plus it looks cheap as hell inside. The zo6 is a way better daily driver.

Corvettes are everywhere. Having automatic transmission there is all kinds of people driving these. And there is nothing wrong with that.
It's just takes that rarity factor away. Even ZR1 I see once in a while. Great machine but some bits I just laugh when I see. Like that transparent hood scoop for example.

Vipers on the other hand feel very special to me. The form of the body is just wow. V10 is so exotic too. I realize it's harsh to drive. Interior I like it a lot even if it may feel cheap. Ergonomics looks good (except pedals); All and all it feels special. Look at this two tone:

18.jpg

and oh the engine:

14.jpg

I've driven both. Viper is more raw, Z06 is more refined. I enjoyed driving both but the Z06 was easier to drive which allowed me to enjoy more of the fun factor. It's hard to deny that in the publics eye the Viper is gets the looks but the fact that I could drive the Corvette daily/more economically I would likely sway towards the Chev.

I am sorry but your question is about as valid as "why would anyone pay 70k+ for a 10year old nsx when they can get a slightly used GTR!"

I am sorry but your question is about as valid as "why would anyone pay 70k+ for a 10year old nsx when they can get a slightly used GTR!"

LOL... C6 Z06 waaaaaaay better car than that viper. Also NSX better than the GTR. :D

All subjective as to which is better and why

MOST and I DO means MOST people laugh for buying a underpowered overrated sports car that is more of a classic now a days than it is a sport car (ok save me the "I can beat you in the twistes" story)
but as we all know paying so much money for a used car is not about rational and it's not about justification
It's about desire and to that end nothing else matters :)

LOL... C6 Z06 waaaaaaay better car than that viper. Also NSX better than the GTR. :D

FWIW I was at the track last weekend with my friend. We have same number of track days, about the same skill level. He has a 2011 C6 Z06, traded his 03 NSX for it. I was on his ass over and over with him giving me point by'es. Of course... His car is stock and I have a supercharger, a 10K suspension and 5k worth or brakes so there is almost no point in the point I am trying to make. LOL

When I was driving my car home from Cinci a couple Fridays ago I passed probably 300 or so Vettes heading toward Indy. Must've been a meet or rally. Either way, I almost guarantee I was the only NSX they saw on the road that day, and the rarity is one of the reasons I purchased an NSX over another make/model (that and I've always been a die hard Honda fanatic).

That being said, I can't deny the attention the Viper demands, It is a very aggressive looking vehicle. I'd still probably lean C6 over it though, only because I can't leave anything be (well, when there's 6,000,000 of them on the road) and the aftermarket for the Vette is well supported. I know that statement completely contradicts owning an NSX, however I bought the NSX with the intention to keep it stock performance wise and modify its appearance. What I'm trying to say is if you wrap a vette around a pole, you can ALWAYS find another, quite easily.

More I think about it more it comes down to one argument - passion. Very subjective thing. And for me Viper does it when Vette does not (in comparison);

GTR vs NSX comparison is kind of irrelevant except price point. Way different designs and purpose. Viper and Vette both have FR design and high output engines etc.

I agree with the OP.
I see more corvettes than camaros.
My only question is how reliable are Vipers and who works on them?
Both seem to be sketch in terms of taking them to a domestic dealer to work on them.
Would you really feel comfortable taking your $100,000 corvette to a chevy dealer for a new timing belt?
No thanks...

The one sure thing that the Viper is missing is an exotic sound from that V10. Never have I heard a Viper that sounded even remotely decent. It should sound like it looks.:wink:

The one sure thing that the Viper is missing is an exotic sound from that V10. Never have I heard a Viper that sounded even remotely decent. It should sound like it looks.:wink:

That's hard to do when you redline at like 3600. Lol

That's hard to do when you redline at like 3600. Lol

lol ..on the exhaust note deal i think the vipors dump each bank of 5 cylinders separately,thus sounding like 2 5 cylinder motors ....blech......I think some folks have mounted cross or x pipes to perk it up....but not melodious by any means.

With side pipes I hear people say it sounds weird in the cabin. I love working on NSX every time amazes me with something new. Location of this, design that went into that. It's joy to wrench on - I'm talking basic stuff plus maintenance. But than again these are simple cars comparing to similar cars these days (R8 comes to mind)

With FR platform and especially engine bay design vipers look to be very easy to work on too. Zero practical knowledge I have but just assuming. Plus these engines are very basic. And from what I hear pretty bulletproof.

I realize I would probably be getting to single digits as far as mpg goes but that's not the point as commuting in this thing would be distance limited anyway.

The purpose of this discussion is to hear what other fellow NSXers think about Vipers. And some already shared thoughts on driving and more.

Last edited:
I looked at Z06's and Vipers before I bought, but the allure of aluminum won out over horsepower. No regrets :smile:

I prefer the looks of the earlier (96-02) Viper GTS, I was actually just in one today looking at one.

The exhaust note is different, at times sounds like a semi truck (the one I was in today had a modified exhaust). but is freaking loud, and all that torque, mmmm :)

Last edited:
Price tag on a new Viper is equal to that of a ZR-1 and Ill take the ZR-1 over the Viper any day of the week. It may still be just another Chevy.......but that still is way better than having a Dodge.....IMO anyway

Those Vipers are beasts; unforgiving, and rougher than wiping with 100 grit sandpaper. Nose heavy, rear light, and with enough torque to change the direction of the earth's rotation. It's a man's sports car that tells you that it's going to murder you after it kills you and does naughty things to your wife. Engine and transmission comes from a Russian tractor that moved rockets circa 1960. You'll cut your hands on the shoddy interior and burn your hands on the exhaust as you get out. But you'll be so happy you made it through another drive that you'll call it "a burn mark of courage."

And if either of you survive that long, you'll sell it. B/c you realize that no one outside of Schumacher, Senna, and Jesus can drive the thing anywhere near it's limit.

Those Vipers are beasts; unforgiving, and rougher than wiping with 100 grit sandpaper. Nose heavy, rear light, and with enough torque to change the direction of the earth's rotation. It's a man's sports car that tells you that it's going to murder you after it kills you and does naughty things to your wife. Engine and transmission comes from a Russian tractor that moved rockets circa 1960. You'll cut your hands on the shoddy interior and burn your hands on the exhaust as you get out. But you'll be so happy you made it through another drive that you'll call it "a burn mark of courage."

And if either of you survive that long, you'll sell it. B/c you realize that no one outside of Schumacher, Senna, and Jesus can drive the thing anywhere near it's limit.

Best post in a long time.

Would you really feel comfortable taking your $100,000 corvette to a chevy dealer for a new timing belt?
No thanks...

Yes, I would, except, a Corvette does not have a timing belt.

Last edited:
Back