Why is this car still for sale?

That is one of the reasons I'm looking for another. That and I would really like a 97 + but there arn't much for sale. I know it is really difficult to source a NA2 motor and tranny but how difficult would it be to change the interior from ivory or tan to Black. Would every carpet and part need to be ordered directly from a Honda dealership?

Not sure, but I know the Unicorn's are highly sought after...

White with Ivory/white interior.

I would love to have Ivory interior, but since I break shit all the time. I am buying new black trim pieces and leather parts all the time. if I had an Ivory interior it would look like shit. ripped broken snapped parts.

If they sold new parts for this color I would swap my whole interior to White. LOL

I hesitated posting in this thread because it's unsolicited criticism of a member's car, and it may affect his ability to sell it. The items mentioned above came easily in my mind from skimming the ad, so it's likely buyers are thinking the same thing when they view it. The information about the radio and climate control could also pose an issue for buyers, given the seller is apparently not correcting these issues, and is firm on his pricing.

Having stated this, the asking price is low, quite probably to reflect the need to correct the items which have been pointed out. The car could have a timing belt service completed, a clutch replaced, and the radio and climate control unit could be repaired by BrianK if it's one of the common issues which plague these cars - in the end, the overall price would still be comparatively low for an NSX with under 60k miles, and it would have a fresh clutch and timing belt.

let me ask another question if i may, as you guys are ridiculously knowledgeable in all things NSX, which is fantastic by way.

in regards to this car, or any other. is it considered reasonable to offer a car for sale that hasn't had a timing belt done in the last 6 years, even though the car may have amassed much less than the 90k miles? i have come across several in my searches that haven't had the TB done in 8 to 10 years. the cars have only gained 20,000 or 30,000 miles during that time. but i think i'd be scared to drive them a couple states home, seems like an expensive ticking time bomb? how would you guys handle that situation? would you request it done prior to sale if you were seriously interested in purchasing the car, or negotiate it out of the original asking price?

Would every carpet and part need to be ordered directly from a Honda dealership?

There is a supplier of molded carpet kits in the classifieds, the main items of concern are the dash (it's one piece), as well as the headliner, b-pillars, and cowl trim pieces.

The nice thing about ivory is it can be dyed to black by a competent interior restoration shop; you could replace the carpet, dye the lower dash pieces, and headliner, the lower door panels, and bulkhead trim, then simply recover the seats, and replace the plastic lower trim pieces near both doors (cowl trim, latches, etc.)

I estimate the changeover could be done at a cost of around $1500-2500, with some degree of DIY across perhaps a day or two of effort. The wide range of this estimate is primarily due to the seats; if you purchase replacement covers, or have them re-wrapped, this is a significant expense compared to purchasing used black seats.

let me ask another question if i may, as you guys are ridiculously knowledgeable in all things NSX, which is fantastic by way.

in regards to this car, or any other. is it considered reasonable to offer a car for sale that hasn't had a timing belt done in the last 6 years, even though the car may have amassed much less than the 90k miles? i have come across several in my searches that haven't had the TB done in 8 to 10 years. the cars have only gained 20,000 or 30,000 miles during that time. but i think i'd be scared to drive them a couple states home, seems like an expensive ticking time bomb? how would you guys handle that situation? would you request it done prior to sale if you were seriously interested in purchasing the car, or negotiate it out of the original asking price?

You're assuming the asking price hasn't already been adjusted to account for the service history of the vehicle; it's probable this has already been taken into account, so it's unreasonable to expect a seller to subtract the cost of the service off of the top, simply because it's due.

I have seen timing belts removed for service due to age, and they're not in bad condition; when twisted, there is no tearing of the belt, so it's likely this is an overly cautious interval, however, it is still a service interval.

I would not tear across the country in a 1991 NSX with a factory original timing belt, but I would also not be overly concerned about driving an nsx which has 6 or 7 years on the belt. That being said, I would make arrangements to replace the belt once I had it home, or as part of a pre-purchase inspection and service prior to driving it home.

thanx for the info.

i'd say the vehicle asking prices don't have the TB/WP service factored in. as they're not any cheaper than a comparable car, and when i've spoken with the owners, they've told me the cars were fully up to spec on services. which they are for the mileage, just not for the time. and it was apparent the owners didn't know anything about there being a difference. one car was at 8 years, and two were at 10 years...

When I removed my timing belt, it looked like almost new condition for being 20 years old and 55,000 miles. I inspected the entire thing with a jewelers lens and was amazed at the condition.

I may be weird, but I consider wearable items as a non-factor in the purchase price of a vehicle. Things like the WP/TB, hoses, clutch, tires, even valve adjustments need to be completed at some point anyway and should be factored as "maintenance" items, not flaws that deduct from an asking price as damage history would. I would rather do them, or have them done while in my possession anyway.

My opinion is better to have an overall good quality vehicle rather than shop for one that's a little more beat up but with recent maintenance completed.

My first NSX had ivory interior. The color looks good in pictures but it shows stains very easily when you see it in person. The same is true with the leather. . it tends to show the wear a little more than say the black color interior pieces.

Also they don't make most of the Ivory pieces and floor mats anymore, so they are very difficult to find in good shape or even at all.

The fact that the car is completely stock right down to the wheels tells me the owner has likely driven the car relatively easy. My original clutch has 69000 and still strong as new {knocking on wood}. IMO it's nice to find a stocker and start from scratch. For an unmolested NSX I think thats a fair deal.

This is a good deal! Nothing wrong with this car that a little TLC wouldn't take care of - that and some bucks. That's what is keeping it from selling. I think that's it. There is no info about paint or damage repairs - so it may be clean. It's a car that the guy most likely bought thinking that he'd fix up - didn't have the money and wants to sell. Now I could be wrong about that but he's had it a long while.

It's hard to say - there really isn't any reason it shouldn't sell - the price is right. It could be a 30k car with the right owner!

I hope the best for the seller - black and ivory isn't a bad combo. Like someone said the White on white ones are really rare and go for pretty big bucks. Only thing I can think of is that many right now don't want the hassle of fixing one. One of our Primers said he'd rather fix it himself - many don't feel like that. They maybe looking for one already to go!

There is something for everyone here on Prime!

Maybe I'm missing something, but if someone otherwise liked the car but wasn't a fan of the Ivory interior.............couldn't you just find a pair of black seats, swap them in and run with a 2-toned interior?
Black mats over Ivory carpet already does this, as well as the existing 2-toned door panels and console sides.

Just a thought,
Brian

Maybe I'm missing something, but if someone otherwise liked the car but wasn't a fan of the Ivory interior.............couldn't you just find a pair of black seats, swap them in and run with a 2-toned interior?
Black mats over Ivory carpet already does this, as well as the existing 2-toned door panels and console sides.

Just a thought,
Brian

Isn't it easier and better to just buy new black leatherseats.com covers? That way you have new seat leather and it's black (if that's your preference). Or would that look awkward with the other ivory interior pieces?

you must assume that 99% of cars for sale by private owner need the timing belt done or other High dollar parts. as they dont want to pump any more money into a car. we change our TB/WP when we buy these cars for piece of mind. as this is the heart of the engine if one or both fail your
engine is done. I had mine done a few months after I got the car so I could sleep knowing I can floor it in the morning.

I have a Black/Ivory and love it. When I first bought the car, I "settled" for the ivory as I really wanted black (so I could do the red carpet and red NSX-R seats). But, the price was so good and the car was mechanically (almost lol) what I wanted, that I pulled the trigger. After living with it for a few years, it has really grown on me. Now, I'm glad I have it.

As for the TB/WP issue, you should be fine driving that car home cross-country with a 7 year old belt. Although I am one of the biggest proponents here on Prime of doing maintenence on time (especially the TB), it's not like the belt will snap at 7 years and 1 day. Instead, it's a diminishing safety margin over time. As long as you're not bouncing it off the rev limiter the entire way home, it shouldn't be a problem. Like Shawn says, we do the maintenence so that we can drive the car 100% without worry.

FWIW, $24k for this car is a steal. Not quite as good as RobD's steal of the decade last year (also a Black/Ivory), but close. If I were in the market right now, I'd move on it immediately.

Back