Which Year is Best?

I am shopping for an NSX and would like to hear from owners about the merits of the various series.
I am looking at the 1997-2001 (3.2, 6spd).
Are there certain years that are better than others or are there certain years to avoid?
Thanks for the advise,
Stan

Aside from minor cosmetics I don't believe there is much of a difference
there is when you see that vast differences in the amount of money ppl are asking for them...

The best year is the one you can EASILY afford to buy and maintain

To stretch to buy something beyound that is silly. These cars are toys and shouldn't intrude on your day to day life.

The car will sit much more than played with

That said: these cars are a blast !!! I am absolutely thrilled with my 95.

I found mine on craigslist in virgina

My .02
Best of luck with search. It's a big part of the fun!!!

No change between 97-01
There was a big upgrade in 97 and cosmetic upgrade in 2002.
That's it.

There are lots of threads on this issue if you search. Years do not matter so much with a NSX. 91-96 5-speeds use the 3.0 liter engine and smaller brakes. 97-05 6-speeds use the 3.2 liter engine and bigger brakes. 2001+ cars have the upgraded ABS system, which is nice. My ideal NSX would be a 2001 hard-top (or "Coupe"). 2002+ cars have the fixed "bug eyes" headlights.

Instead of model year, you need to think about what type of NSX you want instead. Are you a track nut who does a lot of HPDE driving on road courses? If so, the 91-94 coupes are probably your best bet unless you can find the 3.2 liter coupe unicorns out there. Light, rigid, fast and raw. Are you a boulevard cruiser who only drives the car on weekends when the skies are clear? A late model T-top may be your best option. Softer suspension, and open top make for a fun cruising on a warm night.

Also, this thread should be moved to the new/prospective owner forum.

Our new friend Stan is trying to take the easy way out.

The NSX was sold for 15yrs. Several minor revisions. Several price points. Do you research and ask specific questions and we will all respond in spades. The link to the wiki is a good place to start.

Every owner thinks their year is best for various reasons and kudos to them!

Are you guys reading his post? He clearly states 97-01, i.e, NA2 pop ups. Why are you guys even talking about other years? He posted a very specific question.

Yeah the wording can be confusing I suppose. I took as "which is best from 97-01". That's a very reasonable question and post. If it's about all years, this is a useless thread.

I own a 1997. The only thing in 97-01 that I wish it had was the perforated leather of the 2000+. Otherwise the differences are tiny. I would love a coupe instead of a T-top, but that is very rare.

this question is asked quite often be new members..but in this case i think you were asking if between those years you listed were there any unique mechanical issues(flaws) to be aware of..like the rms issues with porsche...the short answer is no.There is no snap ring equivalent in the later years...only stuff that wears out due to mileage and age......

The real answer to this question is simple - it's the one you can afford. The one you can have. If price is no object well I still say buy the latest model you can or if you must have a coupe and you have plenty o cash - buy a Zanardi. That's it - over and out!

Yeah if I had to pick it would be a Zanardi, or wait until you can transfer a type R(I wish) TBRomley sure you been asked this, but are you planning on rejoining the ownership club anytime soon?

Yeah if I had to pick it would be a Zanardi, or wait until you can transfer a type R(I wish) TBRomley sure you been asked this, but are you planning on rejoining the ownership club anytime soon?

Hey Nukem,

Not really my friend. I wish I could say yes but I really have other plans. One thing is I'm retiring at the end of May and moving to Florida as soon as our house sells. I'm selling off 2 other cars and we'll be down to one and 2 golf carts for a while till I find the right car. You see i plan to tour this country and I've always wanted to do that in a car that will hold 2 sets of clubs and luggage - unfortunately that is not the description of an NSX. But it is the description of a 911 Targa 4 - so that will be the next ride till I get that out of my system and then I hope to get another NSX. We'll see - that's a few years away. So that's the plan right now. FIrst things first though and we have a lot to do right now. We already have our house in FL so it's a matter of time. Then I'll drop in on Shawn!

Back