• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Which HID conversions do you guys reccomend?

Originally posted by whiteNSXs:
I have been looking at many newer HID kits and most of them are truely "plug and play" and cost under $400.

Not on the NSX. The NSX headlight units differ from most other cars because they have a sealed cap behind the bulb, so you can't just "plug and play" something like a standard bulb into the back of the headlight unit.

I've installed HID lights into the NSX and two Integras and the Integras make it fairly easy for a "plug and play" installation. The NSX does not.

Spend a little extra and get the kit from Science of Speed. That way you'll never even know the problems you'll need to address with the cheap "plug and play" kits.

Does the SOS HID kit include high beams or is it only for the low beams?

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Originally posted by Biaggi:
Does the SOS HID kit include high beams or is it only for the low beams?

Only low beams.

I wonder about HID high beams. Since HID lights typically take a couple of seconds to power up, wouldn't they be ineffective if you want to use your high beams to briefly flash a car ahead to move over?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Not on the NSX. The NSX headlight units differ from most other cars because they have a sealed cap behind the bulb, so you can't just "plug and play" something like a standard bulb into the back of the headlight unit.

I've installed HID lights into the NSX and two Integras and the Integras make it fairly easy for a "plug and play" installation. The NSX does not.

Spend a little extra and get the kit from Science of Speed. That way you'll never even know the problems you'll need to address with the cheap "plug and play" kits.

But really, Ken, the kits that I looked that will "plug and play" if a hole is drilled at the back of the dust cap so that 4 wires go through with a good seal by a supplied grommet and directly plug into the white factory plug and for the HID bulbs. Some are for sale as low as $300 on eBay. These might be good alternative to the SOS kit at $580. I actually bought a kit and I will update the list when I install it.

With the SOS kit you get every thing you need to install the HID's. Even gloves to wear when handling the bulbs...nice kit.
I think they even have some brackets in the kit. When I did my install I made my own brackets to keep everything nice and secure.
The lights are working great.

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

switching HID systems - Ken is exactly right. The color and intensity is similar to the kit Ben Lin and RM used to sell. No reason to change. The benefits over these kits and the Autolamps kit is how much more easy the install is.
Does anyone have current contact info for Ben ?

I have one of his kits (installed in ~2001) for low beam, and my left headlamp will not light up.

Any info on parts availability, and any "test procedure" I can use would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Manuel

I have one of his kits (installed in ~2001) for low beam, and my left headlamp will not light up.

Any info on parts availability, and any "test procedure" I can use would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Manuel

Take the bulb from the right side and put it in the left side to see if it lights up. If not then you have a bad ballast or starter. If it lights then you have a bad HID lamp.

If it is a bad lamp I would replace both so that side will be the same color unless you are able to get the same lamp as the one you have now but even with the same manufacturer and color temp sometimes they will still not match.

Wow, you are digging up an old thread.

Basically, if a bulb isn't lighting up it's either burned or you have a ballast, relay, or power problem.

The simplest test you can do is just swap one bulb from one side to the other. Careful not to get your fingers on the bulb. If the bulb from the side that failed works in the side that works, then you have a ballast, relay, or power issue. If not, then you have a burned bulb (hopefully this is the case).

Do your bulb connectors look like the picture below? If so, you can simply order a new pair of bulbs. You want to order these in pairs so that they match. PM Cliffud to get a great deal on some nice bulbs.

amp2.JPG

So, what are the current NSX headlight/HID options available?

I havn't seen an HID kit on SOS's website, do they still sell them?

Are their any other HID manufacurers that have a kit for the NSX, or do you have to do some modifications to install a generic kit?

So, what are the current NSX headlight/HID options available?

I havn't seen an HID kit on SOS's website, do they still sell them?

Are their any other HID manufacurers that have a kit for the NSX, or do you have to do some modifications to install a generic kit?

Hi Stuntman,

I thought I'd chime in since I happen to play with HID lights on a daily basis. I wholesale/retail them. But before I start, if you want to read all of this, go grab a Snickers because it may be a while. :)

I want to start by saying that I am not familiar with SOS's web site nor am I familiar with their kits so I cannot comment on their products. However I can tell you that there are MANY options available now for the NSX headlights.

I firmly believe people should make informed decisions. With that in mind, I thought I would share my findings of extensive testing on HID conversion kits from various manufacturers.

Here are just some of the boxes and ballasts.
boxes.jpg

ballasts.jpg

And as you can tell, there are a lot of copy cats of the ever popular Philips kit.

However, there is one huge design flaw with the Philips kit. It isn't waterproof and the NSX headlight environment is not a good playground for anything that isn't waterproof/dustproof.

This is what the Philips kit uses to shield the ballast from the elements:

philips4.jpg

And this is what is inside:

philips3.jpg

These plastic housings can actually trap water in them long after you've washed your car or it has rained and on clublexus.com, where I am also a member, there have been instances where the plastic housings have actually aided in the damaging of the ballast due to it trapping water.

Now if the "industry standard" has flaws, what makes a good HID conversion kit?

I've done extensive testing on many kits including Philips, McCulloch, TechOne, HID Cool, Goldeneye, Klight, Bosch, and even OEM ballasts and the kits I offer are by far, the best bang for the buck. I can honestly only say that because I've tested a lot of kits out there.

My stress test requirements:

1) The ballasts have to be rubber injected. This helps to ensure the ballasts can hold up the elements. I soaked my ballast in a bucket of water for days and it still fired up with no issues. Rubber injected ballasts ensures water will not harm the internals, but it also ensures electronic parts inside will not get jostled around during harsh driving conditions. The Philips kit failed this test, as did the Bosch kit. Other kits failed in other areas and did not make it to the water test.

2) A wire harness must provide power directly from the battery to the ballasts. For safety reasons, I do not believe HID ballasts should connect directly to your headlight plug for power. The IDEAL way is to have the headlight plug trigger a relay and the relay then sends power to the ballasts. The kits I offer have this ideal wiring schematic. All kits, including the popular McCulloch kit, failed this test except for the Philips kit but the Philips kit goes for more than $400 and is not rubber injected.

3) Good quality wiring. I have seen some kits that have really thin gauge wires and cheap looming that you would be ashamed to put on a go-kart. I don't believe in selling cheap crap so even though it costs me more to go with better wiring harnesses, I firmly believe it's worth it. Even then, my prices are so competitively low, my distributors often find themselves marking up prices to well over $350

4) All in one ballasts. This means, no external ignitors. The McCulloch kit failed this test since it has external ignitors. All other kits had integrated ignitors in their ballasts.

5) Universal wire connections with Philips and most ballast manufacturers. That means the ballasts will connect with the most common wire harness. McCulloch failed this test and the rest of the kits failed by not even having a wire harness included. Again, only the Philips kit and my kit came with one for my testing.

So enough of the testing... on to real world applications.

I recently did an install on GT5's NSX and the only cutting required was for the dust caps on the back of the headlight housings. Two 1" holes were drilled out of the dust caps and grommets were used to ensure the headlights stayed dust free. The installation was VERY OEM-like. The included wire harness with my kits allows the ballasts to pull power directly from the battery so your headlight plugs ARE NOT supplying power. The passenger side OEM plug simply triggers the included relay and the relay then directs power from the battery to the ballasts. I know it sounds like a lot of wires but believe me - they're all in this picture below.

nsx5.jpg

The only hint to something that is not OEM is (obviously no spare tire :) ) but other than that, the small red fuse wired inline to prevent a power jump from the battery burning out the ballasts. If there was a spare tire in there, you wouldn't have seen the fuse at all.

Here are some pics of the headlights post install but prior to remounting the headlight covers:

Passenger headlight
nsx7.jpg

Driver's headlight
nsx6.jpg

As you can see, no wires are visible between the headlight housing area and the spare tire bay. Once the headlight covers were installed back onto the headlights one would guess that the lighting was OEM. Yes, the ballasts are right behind the headlight housings but they are completely waterproof.

waterproof.jpg

rubber2.jpg

So that's about it. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask on the boards, via PM, or just give me a call at 602.300.7153. I may not be able to answer the phone all the time but I will if I can.

Thanks all.

Clifford

Hi Stuntman,

So that's about it. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask on the boards, via PM, or just give me a call at 602.300.7153. I may not be able to answer the phone all the time but I will if I can.

Thanks all.

Clifford

You forgot to tell us the price along with your sales pitch ...... inquiry minds would like to know.

You forgot to tell us the price along with your sales pitch ...... inquiry minds would like to know.

Right now I'm trying to source dust caps so I can offer an option where the dust caps are already drilled. To give you a ball park idea of what these kits will cost. I retail them for $250 on my site and that is shipped. NSX owners can expect to receive these kits with extra looming to cover the power wires, color picture instructions, and everything else that the kit comes with for less than that. :)

Right now I'm trying to source dust caps so I can offer an option where the dust caps are already drilled. To give you a ball park idea of what these kits will cost. I retail them for $250 on my site and that is shipped. NSX owners can expect to receive these kits with extra looming to cover the power wires, color picture instructions, and everything else that the kit comes with for less than that. :)
Great reply, thanks for the info and pictures!

One thing I dont like about plug-and-play HID kits is that it doesn't really offer the full benefits of HID. All of the light is concentrated within the two narrow beams from the headlamp. With a retrofit of HID projectors, this is corrected, with the light dispersing evenly across the field of vision of the driver.

-Brian.

One thing I dont like about plug-and-play HID kits is that it doesn't really offer the full benefits of HID. All of the light is concentrated within the two narrow beams from the headlamp. With a retrofit of HID projectors, this is corrected, with the light dispersing evenly across the field of vision of the driver.

-Brian.

Hi Brian,

I can understand your concerns however you shouldn't have to worry about the light being emitted from the NSX headlights. GT5's nsx which is, I believe, a 94 has projector housings already with a very strict cutoff.

Hope that helps. I'll admit, I don't know all of the headlight types for the NSX throughout the years but I doubt Acura would put in something other than a projector if they had projectors back in the early 90s.

Thanks.

Clifford

I thought all NSX had projector beam headlights :confused:

Yes they are not HID's (from the factory) but I was under the impression that the running lights and high beams were projectors...

Thanks in advance.

- Manuel
Hi Manuel,
Steve Howe here. Ben Lin is under Prime name "Ben". Ben is no longer selling HID kit for the NSX. I have been building HID kits for the NSX and have sold many. I think I can help you with your situation.
Regards,
Steve

Hi Manuel,
Steve Howe here. Ben Lin is under Prime name "Ben". Ben is no longer selling HID kit for the NSX. I have been building HID kits for the NSX and have sold many. I think I can help you with your situation.
Regards,
Steve
Thanks Steve...
Yes - I found Ben as well... he's back in your area (South Bay area).

Turns out my "issues" were more around wiring and connections - the relay connections came loose after ~6 years. All fixed now.

Thanks and regards - Manuel

Hi nsx1164 -

The high beams on the NSX use a 9005 bulb. Since HID bulbs are not an "instant on" type of bulb, I wouldn't suggest using HID bulbs for the highs UNLESS your low beams stay on when you turn on your high beams. If they stay on - by all means add an HID kit for your highs too if you'd like. If not, I wouldn't suggest it.

One alternative would be using high wattage halogen bulbs that you can pick up on eBay that run at 80-100 watts. You can use these as long as the amps drawn don't exceed the fuse that is wired inline for your high beams. Usually you'll be fine but I just want to keep you informed.

These bulbs will certainly be brighter than your normal 9005 bulbs. BUT, prolonged use of your high beams with 80-100 watt bulbs may (read: likely will) cause your headlight plug to melt which will require you to get a new plug to remedy.

If you're interested in that route - just do an eBay search for "9005 100w" and you'll find a ton of vendors selling these bulbs for cheap.

Good luck man!

Clifford

Back