What HP expectations with CTSC?

What expectations should I have for rear wheel dyno'd HP on a 3.0L with I/E/H, lightweight fly, short gears with R&P, and a new CTSC? Thanks.

Wick said:
What expectations should I have for rear wheel dyno'd HP on a 3.0L with I/E/H, lightweight fly, short gears with R&P, and a new CTSC? Thanks.
I made 336 with a stock kit old whipple unit. Most guys are seeing 350 plus with the newer units

The base comptech autorotor kits we are seeing in the 345to 355 range. We just did a 2005 high boost with my engine management solution on 8lbs of boost the car made 406whp. With just tuning with the stock boost level from comptech the car made 30 more whp.

Base comptech kit@ 6lbs: 352whp
comptech kit@6lbs with AEM tuned 382whp
Comtech kit @8lbs with AEM tuned 406whp

The car runs strong

Mine made 359.

Im surprised that there is 30ish more whp avail on the base kit with tuning without upping boost and say 50 whp with tuning+higher boost.

SPA_S2000 said:
Mine made 359.

Im surprised that there is 30ish more whp avail on the base kit with tuning without upping boost and say 50 whp with tuning+higher boost.
Why not? With a tunable ECM you can vary whatever you like in fuel & timing to get more productive gains. It's not unreasonable at all that you would get this increase.

D'Ecosse said:
Why not? With a tunable ECM you can vary whatever you like in fuel & timing to get more productive gains. It's not unreasonable at all that you would get this increase.

Ken hit the button, with the AEM as a base aftermarket ECU,ESM,ECM whatever you prefer to call it you have so much more in terms of finite programmable tuning.when you get to the point that you are aware of your cars minor differences from cylinder to cylinder and have the ability to address the A/F independent of the whole the efficiency buys you alot of power. lucky guys!

BadCarma said:
Ken hit the button, with the AEM as a base aftermarket ECU,ESM,ECM whatever you prefer to call it you have so much more in terms of finite programmable tuning.when you get to the point that you are aware of your cars minor differences from cylinder to cylinder and have the ability to address the A/F independent of the whole the efficiency buys you alot of power. lucky guys!

Also more room to blow up the car, hence adding more whining to this website:biggrin:

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
Also more room to blow up the car, hence adding more whining to this website:biggrin:

Armando

Armando, no arguement here in that respect...hehe what would the F/I N20 forum look like without whiners. not enough gains,to much gains,I dont get all this tuning stuff, NOBODY warned me this could happen! I have not heard you whine about all the power you make off your insane ride.whine Armando whine,you are not filling your Quota :biggrin: BTW hows the big dog running these days?

SPA_S2000 said:
Mine made 359.

What are you waiting for ? :biggrin: Go ahead and buy that AEM and pulley setup !

dynomike said:
The base comptech autorotor kits we are seeing in the 345to 355 range. We just did a 2005 high boost with my engine management solution on 8lbs of boost the car made 406whp. With just tuning with the stock boost level from comptech the car made 30 more whp.

Base comptech kit@ 6lbs: 352whp
comptech kit@6lbs with AEM tuned 382whp
Comtech kit @8lbs with AEM tuned 406whp

The car runs strong

That's impressive !

Ah okay.

I was assuming that since you are not increasing boost, you are not increasing risk. My surprise was because I believed that tuning the 6lb base kit yielded 30whp of RISKLESS power. I see that is not correct.

SPA_S2000 said:
Ah okay.

I was assuming that since you are not increasing boost, you are not increasing risk. My surprise was because I believed that tuning the 6lb base kit yielded 30whp of RISKLESS power. I see that is not correct.

Nothing when it comes to increasing HP is "Riskless" Grasshopper.

Armando

BadCarma said:
Armando, no arguement here in that respect...hehe what would the F/I N20 forum look like without whiners. not enough gains,to much gains,I dont get all this tuning stuff, NOBODY warned me this could happen! I have not heard you whine about all the power you make off your insane ride.whine Armando whine,you are not filling your Quota :biggrin: BTW hows the big dog running these days?

She was running great, but we decided to change some internals to handle the 500hp hurddle we will soon jump. It easier on a healthy motor than wait on one thats broken. Basically getting ready for NSXPO06 bragging rights :)

Armando

SPA_S2000 said:
Ah okay.

Again, I respectfully I disagree - I think there's probably less risk since the tuning is precise throughout the rev range and done specifically for the conditions. Remember these is very little tuning ability on the as-delivered Comptech kit. You are reliant on a few 'tricks' to make the OEM components work beyond their intended conditions i.e. fooling the ECM into thinking that everything is still stock, and artificially forcing more gas in there by utilizing a higher pressure.
It seems to be relatively successful (however note all the reports about dangerous condition while not fully heat-soaked), and I'm not necessarily knocking it (no pun intended!), however you must realize that is a system of compromises.
Now ......... if the tuner doesn't use the capabilities of the after-market ECM with astutue knowledge, the results can be disastrous. So in that sense, yes risky if you don't have the right person doing the job. It's easy to produce a peak HP number (which is all a lot of people look at) and have potentially dangerous situation. But having more HP does not necessarily equate to danger & risk if done well.

Last edited:
MiamieNeSeX said:
.... Basically getting ready for NSXPO06 bragging rights :).....
Aahhh - Hoping none of the Turbos show then? <!--StartFragment -->
pain.gif

D'Ecosse said:
Aahhh - Hoping none of the Turbos show then? <!--StartFragment -->
pain.gif

:biggrin:
He is talking about bragging rights among SC cars.
Or his hurdle is placed in the High Jump Pit.
Yeah I said it.:biggrin:

D'Ecosse said:
Again, I respectfully I disagree - I think there's probably less risk since the tuning is precise throughout the rev range and done specifically for the conditions. Remember these is very little tuning ability on the as-delivered Comptech kit.

You are reliant on a few 'tricks' to make the OEM components work beyond their intended conditions i.e. fooling the ECM into thinking that everything is still stock, and artificially forcing more gas in there by utilizing a higher pressure.
Ken is right again concerning the tuning of a base Comptech unit. the way it gains higher fuel pressure to achieve proper A/F is not that different then an N20 dry setup, tricking the system to bump fuel up by applying added pressure on the FPR diaphram? it is the way they tune is it not,correct me if I am wrong here. it works pretty well most of the time but you are increasing the duty cycle of the injectors and that being said without opening a can of worms anything above 80% duty is considered a risk by some of the industrie's top notch injector pro's like RC engineering,yes I have read page after page of tuners like Andy (SAINT) that they can handle max out duty without a hiccup but I believe that if you do rely on the same tricks I use with n20 for your fuel tuning and they are as stated almost identical tuning tricks you had better understand them. if you do a search you WILL find folks that beat their heads against the wall to achieve a solid fuel map and constant safe trim without those pesky hard to tune spikes that dont last long but overtime who knows ? and what are the the long term effects of jumping the fuel pump up to max voltage all the time,I dont have much chioce in the matter for my fuel tune but if I go S/C and I am trying darn hard to scrape up the cash you had better believe I will go after market ECU and wash my hands of tricking the stock ecu. anything to say about this by allmeans chime in and set me straight. I am eager to learn.

I learn so much every time I log on.

I guess Mike is the best one to answer this question as he tuned the 05 described above.

When you tuned that car with only the base kit on it and your EMS, was the engine running with greater safety margin, in your opinion, under the parameters that had it put down 382whp than the untuned base kit was when it put down 353whp? ie, can my 6lb kit be tuned with your EMS to put about 30whp more with higher safety margin? Are there specific parameters that we can look at to determine which is running "safer"?

len3.8 said:
:biggrin:
He is talking about bragging rights among SC cars.
Or his hurdle is placed in the High Jump Pit.
Yeah I said it.:biggrin:

Looking forward to it :), as its a long commute for most of the "Turbo Boys" (flat bedding dosent count)

Armando

As we start flirting with 400 HP and above the use of the term "relative safety" is being applied only to the ability of an after market ECU to control air/fuel ratios and timing advance to prevent detonation.
Should we also discuss the additional stress of the added HP on the internal engine components [engine pressure and temperatures]? At what point do we cross the line of being "reasonable safe" on stock internals?
I lot of us have looked to the bottom end of our engines before going much above 400 HP. At some point the stock cast pistons, at 10.2 compression ratios, won't handle the combined heat and pressure increases. Would anyone care to guess where that threshold is or do we play "you bet your engine" to find out?:eek: :confused:

Bob

Bob Kenney said:
As we start flirting with 400 HP and above the use of the term "relative safety" is being applied only to the ability of an after market ECU to control air/fuel ratios and timing advance to prevent detonation.
Should we also discuss the additional stress of the added HP on the internal engine components [engine pressure and temperatures]? At what point do we cross the line of being "reasonable safe" on stock internals?
I lot of us have looked to the bottom end of our engines before going much above 400 HP. At some point the stock cast pistons, at 10.2 compression ratios, won't handle the combined heat and pressure increases. Would anyone care to guess where that threshold is or do we play "you bet your engine" to find out?:eek: :confused:

Bob

I think it has been shown that the hp ceiling on stock internals is about 440, having said that with great power, comes great resposibility......and greater check writing oportunities.....

Armando

hey as far as a commute...ill be driveing from AZ with my T car....stock guts though....we will see where it ends up...

Last edited:
BioBanker said:
I learn so much every time I log on.

I guess Mike is the best one to answer this question as he tuned the 05 described above.

When you tuned that car with only the base kit on it and your EMS, was the engine running with greater safety margin, in your opinion, under the parameters that had it put down 382whp than the untuned base kit was when it put down 353whp? ie, can my 6lb kit be tuned with your EMS to put about 30whp more with higher safety margin? Are there specific parameters that we can look at to determine which is running "safer"?

I believe that the car does have a higher safety factor for the sole fact of the ignition timing to being able to be exactly dialed in. The biggest problem with the new comptech kit is the ignition timing, in the stock computer is a little bit to much advanced. The way comptech gets around this is that they run the car overly rich to try and compensate for to much ignition timing. Being able to lean up the engine and give it proper timing advance resulted in the netted power.
Power can be loss with to much ignition timing. The car may not detonate to at least to where you can here it but you are not making optimal cylinder pressures which results in horsepower.

The more power you make the less safety will be in the motor. But in this case you are extracting the power with just tuning. You are taking the engine into the more safety margain area with being able have the engine properly tuned IE not running it overly rich or with to much ignition advance.

Back